• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park - The Hunting Party |OT| Where are the carnivores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have listened to The Hunting Party a few times now and I quite like it.

Ranking: A Thousand Suns>The Hunting Party>Meteora>Hybrid Theory>Living Things>>>Minutes to Midnight.

RoKKeR

Great OT Hydrogen, looking forward to picking this up.

Ranking: A Thousand Suns>The Hunting Party>Meteora>Hybrid Theory>Living Things>>>Minutes to Midnight.

I can get with this, although I'd probably slot Living Things in-between Meteora and Hybrid Theory. I really dig that album..

Updated the OP. Added links to the Final Masquerade lyric video, the Until it's gone music video, and iTunes streaming links for the entire album. I also added the reviews from Sputnik Music, and the New Zealand Herald.

NotLiquid

The first half of the album is better than the second. I don't want to rank it yet but it has left me pleasantly surprised, many of the songs flow better when put into context. I'm disappointed that Tom Morello's track is just an interlude with none of his signature guitars.

Aberrant

I used to be a massive fan of LP, travelled across the country to see them play, 7 shows in all.

Their last remix album Recharge was terrible though.

Guilty All The Same is ownage. The rest of the tracks so far don't have me interested.

The guys always tear shit up live though.

Will definitely catch them on their next tour.

1000SONS <3 !

flozuki

I used to be a massive fan of LP, travelled across the country to see them play, 7 shows in all.

Their last remix album Recharge was terrible though.

Yep, I was hoping for something similar to Reanimation. Some remixes were good, but most were absolutely not my alley^^

Guilty All The Same is ownage. The rest of the tracks so far don't have me interested.

The guys always tear shit up live though.

Will definitely catch them on their next tour.

1000SONS <3 !

It seems they will play HT front to back today at Download Festival.

misho8723

Banned
Their best album since Meteora (or HT).. MtM was quite good, ATS was one of the worst albums that i had the misfortune to hear, LT was a step in the right direction and this new is a fucking great album.. it's heavy and i believe them the aggession in most of the songs..
Best songs are: Keys to the Kingdom, War, Rebellion, Mark the Graves (probably my favorite), Drawbat (shame about Tom Morello), A Line in the Sand,.. other songs are not as great but they are not bad or average..
The worst song: Final Masquerade (just a slightly above average rock-pop ballad)
Final verdict: 8 or 8.5 from 10 points
I'm really glad that they returned to make rock music with actual instruments.. and that they are making very good rock music :) and big + for Rob Bourdon - finally they let him show his talent

Aberrant

Oh damn I didn't realise this was already released in Australia.

I'll have to pick it up after my exam on Monday.

Hands up who here still buys hard copy cds?

-raises hand-

Darkatomz

I was actually surprised by just how heavy the album is, even as the tracks were slowly being released one at a time.

I don't think there's a song on the album that I don't like (not always the case, even as a monster LP fan), but overall, it's not as good as some of their most recent work (such as Living Things). It's not at dark lyrically, and if I'm not mistaken, Chester doesn't play as much as a role in the songs on this album. Favorite song at the moment is Until It's Gone, but that could change later.

Overall, below is my ranking of the official records. it's too early to definitively rank THP, but I'd slot it in between Living Things and Collision Course for now.
HT > Meteora > Reanimation > LT > CC > MTM > ATS

Still looking forward to the MA and CA shows in August and September, will be #8 and #9 for me!

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Is it streaming legally anywhere where I can listen to the album? Really want to dig into this before I buy it.

edit: Just as soon as I say that, I see it on itunes radio, awesome.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Half of the songs sound like LP and the rest sound like a punk/grudge band. Thousand Suns was better, but there are a few songs on Hunting Party that are pretty good. Final Masquerade is a pretty good song. It might be a while before I get a feel for it.

BTM

This is almost perfect. Just switch Hybrid Theory with Meteora. I am really digging The Hunting Party after my 4th or 5th play through.

Nazgul11

Reading this thread makes me happy. I always felt like I was alone in thinking that A Thousand Suns was by far their best album.

Laranja

Reading this thread makes me happy. I always felt like I was alone in thinking that A Thousand Suns was by far their best album.

Add me to the list of people who think A Thousand Suns is the best Linkin Park album.

Minutes to Midnight is a close second for me, so my opinion might not be as valid as everyone else's. :p

Mario007

ATS had several of their best songs. The only problem with the album is that it had too many damn interludes.

Well honestly ATS does come off much, much better when listened to as an album thanks to those interludes rather than listening to the individual songs. And yes ATS is still the best LP album.

For me it's: ATS>LT>Reanimation>Meteora>MtM>HT>Recharged>CC>THP.

Honestly I really don't like the THP. It just sounds so forced and falls flat most of time. It does have a couple of incredible songs but overall it is the worst LP album for me.

I was actually surprised by just how heavy the album is, even as the tracks were slowly being released one at a time.

I don't think there's a song on the album that I don't like (not always the case, even as a monster LP fan), but overall, it's not as good as some of their most recent work (such as Living Things). It's not at dark lyrically, and if I'm not mistaken, Chester doesn't play as much as a role in the songs on this album. Favorite song at the moment is Until It's Gone, but that could change later.

Overall, below is my ranking of the official records. it's too early to definitively rank THP, but I'd slot it in between Living Things and Collision Course for now.
HT > Meteora > Reanimation > LT > CC > MTM > ATS

Still looking forward to the MA and CA shows in August and September, will be #8 and #9 for me!

Pretty on board with your ranking except I'd put ATS on the same level as LT.

I'm looking forward to picking this up today.

The album is excellent and a true nod to their old style. Very heavy and far less electronic that their previous two albums. My favourite track has to be All For Nothing.

I'm digging this album! It definitely seems like one of those albums that gets better on repeat plays. Some of the songs have some nice Punk influence which made me smile. So good.

RoKKeR

War is literally a Metallica song with a different vocalist.

I mean seriously.

Least favorite of the bunch.

Still at the point where I can't call out all of the song names exactly but I dislike this one the most.

Overall though it seems solid.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Gave the album a listen. On first run through, I hate it. The production seems subpar, and I know they went for a "raw" approach, but that's just not their strength. I don't get it, either. Shinoda said that they wanted "harder edged rock", but so many songs have rap verses in them. Something's wrong with the vocals too, as I feel like they're going through some kind of filter that distorts them too much. I appreciate what they tried to do, but it's just not their strength, and it shows.

Gave the album a listen. On first run through, I hate it. The production seems subpar, and I know they went for a "raw" approach, but that's just not their strength. I don't get it, either. Shinoda said that they wanted "harder edged rock", but so many songs have rap verses in them. Something's wrong with the vocals too, as I feel like they're going through some kind of filter that distorts them too much. I appreciate what they tried to do, but it's just not their strength, and it shows.

Yup, and after listening to it a week later, my opinion is unchanged.

RoKKeR

Finally got some complete listens in, and I think I'm a fan. Some songs I'm not sold on, but there are others that just come together really well. The overall sound is clearly a bit of a departure from their more recent stuff, but there's an interesting combination between new and old here -- I hear a lot of A Thousand Suns here and there, which I like as it's my favorite LP album.

I'm a damn sucker for songs like Until It's Gone, even though it's such a by-the-numbers post Minutes to Midnight LP song. Think my favorite on the album is Rebellion or Guilty all the Same, but I'm still trying to slot which ones I really dig and other ones which are just good.

It turned out better than I thought it would if I'm honest, and I'm happy about that. It definitely grew on me -- really didn't like it after a listen or two but things came together for me after a few plays.

Edit: Forgot to mention Mark the Graves, LOVE this tune. Big sound in the chorus, light in the verses, great stuff. Again, can feel A Thousand Suns infused with some hard rock here which I really like.

Forgot to mention Mark the Graves, LOVE this tune. Big sound in the chorus, light in the verses, great stuff. Again, can feel A Thousand Suns infused with some hard rock here which I really like.

Mark the Graves is my favorite song on the album and is up there as one of my favorite LP songs ever. It reminded me of Blackout from ATS, the way it infuses this aggressive, in your face style, with some nice, quieter melodies.

I'm really surprised to see so many pick Minutes to Midnight as their favorite LP album. Almost everyone I talk to always picks Hybrid Theory or Meteora as their first and second favorite.

OT:

I really like Guilty all the Same and Wastelands.

fallingdove

Not a fan of this album. I felt that many of the songs lacked melodic consistency, complexity, polish, or all three. The biggest offender IMO being The Final Masquerade. I feel like this album is worse than Minutes to Midnight. - Might be time for LP to call it a day. (or a career?)

Manu

Not a fan of this album. I felt that many of the songs lacked melodic consistency, complexity, polish, or all three. The biggest offender IMO being The Final Masquerade. I feel like this album is worse than Minutes to Midnight. - Might be time for LP to call it a day. (or a career?)

Hey man, I don't like an album other people do, the band should quit making music.

RoKKeR

Nah man, this album has way more than 4 worthwhile songs... and they aren't all pop-rock shoe-in's. (which are good in their own sense IMO)

Thing I picked up on today is that the bridge in Keys to the Kingdom is fucking incredible. It's not my favorite song on the album but man, that bridge leading into the final chorus is great.

I agree, what I loved about LP is that their production has always been extremely meticulous. Some might say overproduced, but I love all the little effects and vocal glitches and turntable scratching and Protools trickery. That combined with the rapping gave them their signature nu-metal sound, and ever since Minutes to Midnight it feels like they've been trying to emulate and branch out into other genres, but they've never been as good at it, and can never compete against the popular bands in those genres so it always comes off sounding second rate.

Mario007

This is what I said on LPA:

This is a few weeks too late, but after giving the album proper chance and listening to it for good 20-30 times I have to say this is absolutely the worst LP album to date (and that included Recharged). The album just seems terribly forced and creatively blank with any presented problem being solved throwing heavy riffs or screams at it. The album is such a huge step backwards and exactly the kind of album I'd have hoped LP would avoid making. I'll try to break it down a little bit.

Music:
The album is, obviously, meant to serve as a heavy "bring rock back" type of album. I think at the basic level, this is a very good idea from LP. The problem is that it seems as though they forgot how to write these type of songs. Having spent 3 albums trying to be "heavy without being metal" and succeeding (in my opinion) it must have been very hard to get back try to do traditional heavy rock songs. And let's be honest, most fault here probably lays with Brad who couldn't write a guitar solo, for example, to save his life. His riffs are ok but only that and even with that it seems like he can't reproduce them live (from what we've heard from GATS). Further, Mike and Brad as producers seem to have this huge obsession with playing those riffs for a prolonged periods of time for no other purpose than to "make it heavy" (as evident in MTG and GATS). On the other hand Rob has stepped up his game tremendously and has to be acknowledged as a shining beacon on this album. His performance is great and carries many of the songs.

Lyrics:
Once again this seems to be a huge step backwards to the HT or Meteora days of angsty lyrics. The lyrics are, for the most part, atrocious. This is evident from the very beginning with KTTK and Chester's chorus which is one of the most cringeworthy things since "Take me out of my fucking misery". Which is a shame cause the chorus has a nice melody that could have been used for better things. Mike's "tough guy" rapping comes off as incredibly lame and overdone after LT and ATS. The lyrics themselves in his rap verses are also quite awful, even if you do like the tough guy style rap. I would say FM and MTG are probably the only songs with solid lyrics on this album. ALITS maybe too, but "give me back what's mine" isn't exactly a much of a move forward from the HT days of "shut up when I'm talking to you". This album does have one of the best rap verses on an LP record though, Rakim's verse.

Singing:
I think this is another example of LP trying desperately to make a heavy album without understanding it too deeply. Chester is so underutilised it hurts. All he does this album is scream. That's it. He doesn't try to hit the notes, to sing, he's just told to scream. ALITS is the biggest offender with this. Mike's singing is fine, but sometimes I wished it was Chester singing instead. CHester can still nail it when he's given a chance like in FM. Mike's rapping style is pretty good I actually enjoy the flow of his verses (apart from the "five star general" part in AFN since he throws out rhyming structure and the flow out of the window). I would like him to go back to the old HT/Meteora style as well sometimes though. ALITS reminded me of it a bit.

Now to review the songs individually and quickly.
Keys to the Kingdom- A sold opener and pretty energetic song. I feel like it's a bit like a longer version of Victimized. Having said that the chorus just ruins it for me. I wanted to turn the song off immediately after first hearing "I'm my own casualty/ I fuck up everything I say". 6.5/10
All for Nothing- Mike's verses have a nice swag and Chester's "All for nothing/all for nothing" is nice but this song doesn't really do much memorable stuff. Altogether quite forgettable. 5/10
Guilty All the Same- Waaaay too long for what it is. Chester has 2 short verses, a chorus that is sang almost like always hitting the same note and 1 rap verse. It doesn't need to be 5 and half a minutes long. Sure the intro is nice but it overstays its welcome. It's almost like LP thought this was their heaviest song and wanted to make sure you damn /well knew it was heavy. (hint, it's not their heaviest song). When you compare it to other long heavy rock songs this is really could have been 3 minutes. 7/10
The Summoning- Nice interlude.
War- I actually like it but it's super unpolished. Chester doesn't only scream but actually tries to sing this one. There's not much happening in the song, but it's a nice high tempo punk song. 7/10
Wastelands- I gave this song shit when it was first released through the live performance. Since then I come to appreciate it as the song gets better halfway through Mike's first verse when the electronics in the background kick in. The chorus is uninspired and once again sounds like Chester hitting the same note over and over. But it's your typical Bleed it Out/Lie, Greed Misery LP song. 6.5/10
Until It's Gone- I really enjoy the transition from Wastelands to this song and I appreciate the drums here more for that. The song is typical LP mid-tempo ballad. I do like Chester's singing on this one though, especially the "whoah" parts. The lyrics are really creatively bankrupt though, with the repetition of a well known cliche. There are some hidden gems lyrically here like "finding what you've got sometimes, means finding it alone" which is better than 90% of the album but that's balanced out by "something made my realise that I was wrong". 7/10
Rebellion- I think this song is a nice evolution of Castle of Glass. I like the lyrics and how it changes from "I" to "we" once Chester starts singing. I always liked Chester and Mike harmonies when chester is the second vocal, because he does it so well and you hear two distinct but complimentary voices. The guitar is pretty amazing. The only thing that's holding this song from perfection is the lazy LP bridge of "let's shout and shout before the final chorus". 8/10
Mark the Graves- The song is pretty nice and it's kinda the direction I would like longer, rock-heavy LP songs to take, but it seems like it runs out of steam and ideas halfway through. After the first two verses are sang and the chorus kicks in the song seems to be really just repeating itself. The chorus is always way too simple for it to happen. When you have a 4 and half minute song you can't have 12 lines of lyrics. That's just a huge waste. 7/10
Drawbar- It's a nice little instrumental but really more of an interlude than anything else. The song never builds into anything big and it's more like a longer version of Wake. 6/10 (although I like it much more than the score would suggest, but it's definitely not better than the songs I've scored 6.5 and above)
Final Masquerade- Best song on the album. Ironically the one that the least heavy. This is a song that was just written without any need to make it heavy for the sake of being heavy and it's just its own thing. I think this is the best ballad LP have ever written. The instruments are really nice in the background and Chester gives one of his best vocal performances in years. The man practically carries the whole song by himself. The lyrics are also quite good and much more grown up in the way they talk about heartbreak. Both Chester and lyrics complement themselves very well and from the very first "tearing me apart with the words you wouldn't say" I could tell this was going to be an amazing song. 9.5/10
A Light in the Sand- when I heard the first verse, followed by the guitars and then the second verse I literally said there is no way this song won't end up being epic. Well I was wrong. The song is held back once again by the need to make it unnecessarily heavy through Chester's chorus. After a few listens I got used to it, but it took a while. Also the lyrics to the chorus are much less mature than than the lyrics Mike sings or raps. The "solo" was pathetic though and it was only saved by Chester's screaming at the end (here I thought it complimented the song well) with the guitars in the background. I did love that moment in the second verse when Chester comes in in harmony with Mike. Also Mike's rapping is quite nice. 8.5/10

Overall: 7/10

My overall LP rating:
ATS>LT>Reanimation>MTM>Meteora>HT(because I heard Meteora before HT so HT, to me was the rehash that Meteora was for everyone else)>Recharged>Collision Course>THP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom