• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Link's Awakening is really one of the most important entries in the Zelda Canon.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
SRg5mfQ.jpg

If you ask someone what they'd consider to be the "Zelda Canon" (in terms of what games are important to the movement of the series, not talking about timeline shenanigans), most would likely say Legend of Zelda, Link to the Past, and then Ocarina of Time. These three games are usually held up as the greatest Zelda has to offer, setting the standard for various games to follow and generally agreed upon to be all great games in their own right. Now, that's not to say that the others aren't important or enjoyable, they definitely are, but these are usually the three held up as the being the biggest influences in determining the evolution of the series. Legend of Zelda set the ball rolling, Link To The Past refined and set the formula in-stone going forward, and Ocarina of Time transported the series to 3D.

The other games in the series, in comparison, are more self-contained, and while they do add new gameplay and thematic elements to the series, usually they're not as influential. Wind Waker did inspire quite a lot of future games in terms of the art-style, such as Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass, but overall many of the gameplay elements Wind Waker introduced didn't exactly become commonplace, and I feel the art-style didn't inspire future games, rather the future games just re-used it, which became a bit annoying eventually. Minish Cap used it to great effect since it was sprite-based, and thus not just copying Wind Waker, but Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks was a bit displeasing since it showed that a weaker system really didn't go well with Wind Waker's cel-shading. Skyward Sword is the most recent "main game", though, and did feel like a notable departure from the series in many ways, so I wouldn't be surprised if for better or worse it could set a new standard for the series style and might be more influential than it is at the moment. I know this sounds bad at first, but there were enough good ideas in Skyward Sword I wouldn't mind becoming more influential such as the denser overworlds, upgrade system, and stamina system.

However, I argue that there is one game that deserves to stand among the main three as being equally influential when it comes to the direction the series has evolved in, and doesn't get enough credit---Link's Awakening. You see, gamers in general have a weird notion towards handheld entries (excluding series that are handheld focused like Pokemon), where handheld entries are deemed as simple detours from the main meat of the series, and thus aren't as important. This is a double-edged sword...I feel this allows handheld entries to take bigger risks with the formula than the console entries can get away with, as people seem to be less critical of them when they break the mold because their development is viewed as being sort of a bridge between the bigger games. When you have big Triple AAA console Zelda games, and one is disappointing, it sticks out. But with the handheld entries, a bad entry is easier to view as a bump in the road, and not indicative of a decline in overall quality for the series. A lot of people don't like Phantom Hourglass, I'm not one of them, and a lot of people don't like Skyward Sword, but I think if you polled people, I think the hostility and "ruined forever!" cries would be aimed at Skyward Sword far more than Phantom Hourglass.

Anyway, because Link's Awakening is a handheld game, I don't feel it gets the credit it deserves. It's easy to just see it as a quirky gaiden game, people definitely love the game, but usually when you ask people why, you just get "it's fun!", or "it's just so different!", like what you hear with Majora's Mask. But while Majora's Mask is a departure from the series, and much of what it introduced really didn't catch on (although that may chance with Zelda Wii U perhaps...), I think Link's Awakening actually ended up being far more vital to the series, and more influential than people really notice. In fact, Anouma has gone on record saying that without Link's Awakening, Ocarina would be a "very different game". So, let's look into this a bit further.

Before I start, a bit of background info when it comes to my relationship with the Zelda series. I'm a bit hazy on how everything went down, but I do know that I never actually played the NES Zelda games till they were re-released on that Gamecube Anniversary Disc, and even to this day, regrettably I've never actually played them beyond a few minutes at the beginning. My first Zelda experience was playing Link to the Past, although it was "just a game" to me when I first played it as I wasn't cognizant that it was part of a much larger franchise, and I didn't understand its impact. The first time "Zelda!" really hit me was when I got Ocarina of Time, and then going back and playing Link to the Past changed how I viewed it...I could see its "evolution", and how this series came together. Not too long after, I believe it was in February (this is where my memory fails me a bit), I got a GBC for my birthday, and got Link's Awakening DX. At this point, I had a new fondness for the Zelda series, and had a lot of fun playing Awakening, but because I played things out of order, how unique Awakening was didn't really hit me. The only thing that really stuck out was that Link could actually jump, rather than it being 'on-rails' like in Ocarina. I've been a Zelda fan since then, and have played all of them to near completion more or less (admittedly I'm bad at finishing games...I've never fully beat both Oracles together, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, or Link Between Worlds), but Awakening ended up being my most cherished.

In retrospect, Link's Awakening actually is a pretty standard Zelda, mechanically. It began as a port of Link To the Past (would've loved to see them pull that off though), which is probably why it follows the standard eight-dungeon formula, and most of the items are recycled from LTTP. The only real new item that's of any use in gameplay is the Roc's Feather, which I think does shake up things quite a bit. Jumping is such a standard game mechanic, but when a series normally avoids it, when a game actually throws in manual jumping for the player, it's actually sort of fun and exciting to see. I was glad to see Roc's Feather, and the Roc's Cape, return in Oracle and Minish Cap with new functionality, and disappointed to see it was dropped in Phantom Hourglass. Although I can understand this...I don't think it'd work quite as well with the touch control PH and ST went with, but I was sad to see Link Between Worlds dropped it as well. The Tornado Rod added some neat vertical movement, but it doesn't compare with free jumping in my opinion. I've said this before, but I'd love a Zelda where jumping plays a major role.

The only other direct gameplay mechanic Link's Awakening adds are the "power-up items", perhaps borrowing a bit from Mario, Link can collect two items---the Guardian Acorn and the Piece of Power---which temporarily grants him increased defense/attack for a limited time, complete with a power-up jingle like the Star Man. This is kind of an odd mechanic, though, which doesn't quite fit with Zelda, and so it's never really returned in later games. You have a few potions that do similar things, such as in Skyward Sword, but just finding power-ups as drops from enemies has been absent except for Four Swords Adventure, where it goes quite well with the more arcade-style, and Hyrule Warriors, where it also fits the action style better.

Ultimately, Link's Awakening doesn't have that "gimmick" that most of the other Zelda games tend to have. Usually when you ask someone to describe a Zelda game, they'll usually tell you about the big mechanical element unique to it....Ocarina of Time's time child/adult dichotomy, Wind Waker's wind manipulation and sailing, and Twilight Princess' wolf form. But Link's Awakening's gimmick isn't its gameplay, it's its unique setting and themes, which stuck out at the time...but nowadays, they actually perhaps feel a bit more in-line with the following games.

Link's Awakening is the first, and only Zelda apart from Majora's Mask, to not (except for a few cameos) involve Zelda, Ganondorf, or the Triforce. While other games haven't gone to the same extent Link's Awakening did, it did sort of inspire future games to break away from the rigid trio. Zelda ends up being kept still more often than not (it's her series, basically), but it's not too uncommon for the Triforce to not factor into the plot beyond being just implied, and Ganondorf has sat things out in quite a few games since. It also takes place outside of Hyrule, which is also a more common element, and I'd argue has actually sort of become the norm if you think about it. Majora's Mask takes place in Termina, the Oracle games take place in Holodrum and Labrynna, Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass takes place on the Great Sea, Spirit Tracks takes place in New Hyrule, and Skyward Sword features the land before it became Hyrule as well. Some of those are cheating---but really, just regular old Hyrule has only prominently been featured in Ocarina, Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, and 1/2 of Link Between Worlds.

Another thematic element of Link's Awakening is its quirky and colorful cast of NPCs. Prior to this, Zelda had sort of a bland collection of NPCs. Most of them were simply there to just give you a straight-up hint, or weren't that stand-out except for the few blessed enough to get a memorably butchered translation. Link To the Past had a couple memorable ones, like the flute boy, but overall no one really played it for the characters. Link's Awakening was the first to have a real lively and odd world, "inspired by Twin Peaks", and I feel following this that became the norm. Sure, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess have a "realistic" style, but even then if you think about it, most of the NPCs are over-the-top and cartoonish. I think this is something I really enjoy about Zelda---for all its flaws, Skyward Sword had some great personalities (not Fi) hanging around the few town areas, that made me enjoy my time with the game despite it being a bit shallow beyond that.

Three of the characters introduced in particular sort of became synonymous with Zelda: first off, Marin and Tarin. Marin, who served as a Zelda stand-in (and the first time we really saw Link have a relationship with another character since his interactions with Zelda in past games were limited), is an iconic character, and inspired Malon in Ocarina of Time, who she herself inspired other similar characters throughout the games. Tarin, the Mario look-alike, is less important, but also influenced the character of Talon, who usually isn't far behind when Talon appears. Then, of course, you have the Owl. In Link's Awakening, a mysterious overseer who helps Link in his quest, and was brought back in Ocarina of Time as Kaepora Gaebora, and like Talon and Malon a variation of that character appeared in a few other games too.

The Owl has since disappeared from Zelda since Majora's Mask, and I actually think this is because he's a bit redundant---you don't really need him telling you where to go when you have Partners like Midna and Fi who can do that as well. Even in Ocarina of Time, he seemed a bit at odds with Navi who served basically the same function. The reason I bring this up is that I feel Link's Awakening also began the tradition of a "Partner", but in a more subtle way. Throughout Link's Awakening, there are quite a few characters who end up following you---Marin, the ghost, and the Flying Rooster. These characters temporarily give Link a friend to travel with, and also help him in various ways, which became more commonplace with the Partners. It's another addition I like, most of the time, as Link not being on his own makes the game more interesting. Sure, they mess it up sometimes like with Fi, but overall I'm excited to see who will be helping Link out in each game. They hit more than they miss, for me.

Music also plays a more vital role in Link's Awakening, which became another key element of Zelda. Sure, there were musical instruments in previous Zelda games, but they were usually a minor item with a simple function, such as just using it to warp in LTTP. Here, your ocarina now has the ability to play three different songs, and magical musical instruments are a key component of the plot, which is now a Zelda tradition. The Ocarina of Time, the Wind Waker, and the Goddess Harp, all seem like an extension of this. And who can forget the first time you hear the full version of the Ballad of the Windfish? Gaming's most magical moment, easily.

Link's Awakening was also the first Zelda to get a bit silly with how it set the world up, whereas the previous Zelda games were much more straightforward and typical fantasy. The weirdest thing in LTTP was probably the fact Sarashala used speakers to talk to you, but overall the world seemed pretty typical lite-Medieval. Link's Awakening sort of spun this around, throwing in a lot of anachronistic elements like a crane-game, camera, and telephone, and future Zelda games have also sort of branched away from adhering to a grounded fantasy setting. Ocarina didn't go too out of its way, but look at Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword, and how they have quite a few odd modern elements thrown in. There's also the Mario-crossover elements in Link's Awakening (although Manhandla is according to the Japanese manual of the Legend of Zelda a species of Piranha Plant), which also popped up in Ocarina of Time, and sort of see a return in Link Between Worlds, with Ravio's similarity to Nabbit perhaps being a cute nod to this.

Finally, there are three major gameplay elements, but not directly related to the main game, that Link's Awakening created. First, the infamous "Trading Quest" that has basically been in every Zelda since, and is usually a pretty fun element to take part in. Finding the people who want the items, figuring out what to trade, it's a nice game-length puzzle to fill out the time. Second, the "Item Side Quest", where there's an extra little item to look out for as you journey through the world. In Link's Awakening, it was the seashells, and it expanded from there to include things such as bugs, fairies, and recently Maimai. And finally, the fun little fishing game, which was expanded in Ocarina of Time and had a nice return in Majora's Mask 3D.

There's a lot of little elements in Link's Awakening I also think perhaps inspired later games---such as the Wind Fish Egg being thematically similar to the Moon, an omnipresent doomsday device (although less intimidating---but overall I think these are the main points which show that Link's Awakening shouldn't be seen as a quirky gaiden game, but rather a cornerstone of the series. While I think Link's Awakening is pretty much perfect, I'd be lying if I didn't say I hope they take the Link Between World engine and make a great homage to Link's Awakening next, at least in terms of capturing its tone and style. But then I think, and perhaps every Zelda has a bit of Link's Awakening in it.

I didn't even know there was a Zelda canon until the internet started talking about it. I saw every game in the series as it's own self-contained story in it's own self-contained universe, save for direct sequels like Phantom Hourglass or Majora's Mask.

I still see them that way.

Watch Da Birdie

I didn't even know there was a Zelda canon until the internet started talking about it. I saw every game in the series as it's own self-contained story in it's own self-contained universe, save for direct sequels like Phantom Hourglass or Majora's Mask.

Did you just not read the first sentence when I said I'm not talking about canon in the storyline sense?

I'm using it in the more principle sense, where it refers to standards and rules a field sets.

I spend hours typing these posts out and hoping to get a good discussion going, and GAF can't even read the first sentence before they get the whole point wrong right out the gate.

Valus

Did you just not read the first sentence when I said I'm not talking about canon in the storyline sense?

I'm using it in the more principle sense, where it refers to standards and rules a field sets.

I spend hours typing these posts out and hoping to get a good discussion going, and GAF can't even read the first sentence before they get the whole point wrong right out the gate.

He posted two minutes after you created the thread. Do you really think he read all that in two minutes?

Kyne

2516508-5567548374-Fh3ro.gif

injurai

Banned
I adored reading this thread. I agree with all your points. In some ways I feel it's ignored simply because many people never played it. A lot of people really do cherish this game for what it accomplished. A seriously impressive game for it's hardware, everyone owes it to themselves to play DX.

Boney

Banned
Well I mean, sure. Nintendo is a company that loves to reuse traditional gameplay elements they establish, because they're always building on top of each release and earlier games are gonna be more influential going forward.
Even Zelda II, as much as black sheep as it is still imparts lots of elements like sword fighting, towns and sidequests (find error).

I'd love it if link's awakening would find more recognition inside Nintendo in terms of themes and characterization instead of predominantly gameplay mechanics as you described.

I agree it was a huge leap for the franchise and it's all the more impressive considering it was made for the tiny game boy, and compared to peers like the Mario land series and Metroid, this really is all the more special.

I still remember how I accompanied my dad to blockbuster, and even rented me a snes game. Then we were doing some other shopping stuff and a small gaming store had LADX on display, this was during the whole OOT craze (which I never did actually own, borrowed it much later) and loving renting LTTP and always reaching the dark world before returning it. So I guess it was my first Zelda game, and boy was it something.

Even if the other guy was super disrespectful, you should try working on shortening your posts. The intentions are great, and you like trying to stimulate discussion on a subject matter, but this is a forum, not a high school assignment, you need to get to the point a lot faster, so everybody wins.
Just don't feel bad about it, make the other dude feel bad.

pixlexic

Banned

it such a weird thing to me that a lot of people HAVE to have everything go together and make sense.

Mory Dunz

Dat first-

oh wait

You're not kidding. It may be the best the series ever had to offer, in terms of scope, storytelling, and the system it was put on.

Not that I'm deriding the others, mind ye. It's just THAT game that everyone should play to completion.

gotta get dat first post

Mr. Jimmy

Great post OP, I adore Link's Awakening and play it again every once in a while. I also think that many many people just haven't played it yet, such a shame :/

CassSept

Save for direct sequels.

Like Zelda II. Or The Wind Waker. Or Twilight Princess.

Or direct prequels.

Like A Link to the Past. Or Ocarina of Time. Or Minish Cap. Or Skyward Sword.

Oh wait-

injurai

Banned
Seriously. Read this people. This is why you come to neogaf is it not? To read about games instead of play them. Otherwise go play Link's Awakening now.

Jonnax

Links Awakening is really an amazing game for what it did with many of the new aspects which became a staple of the series going forwards.

I feel that Links Awakening and Majora's mask both had were very unique and good games because of what I perceive to be the freedom that the developers had in making them. The characters shine because they aren't bound by the chains of convention.

What do you think of the recent games? I haven't played SS or ALBW but when playing Wind Waker and Twilight Princess I did have a feeling at points that developers always had the question "How do we ensure that this is a Zelda game?" in the forefront of their mind.

I have ALWAYS said about Link's Awakening:

• LA introduced learning songs and then playing them back on an instrument to change things (albeit automatically).
  • LA introduced the Ocarina
  • LA introduced actual memorable NPCs with several lines of dialog
  • LA introduced the trading quest that results in a key item at the end
  • LA introduced being able to actually use your shield
  • LA introduced the Owl
+ more I can't remember right now.

A lot of people seem to attribute many or these things to OoT.

Good to see someone else notice.

While my completion of Zelda games is much less--I've only really played the handheld games--Link's Awakening is definitely the tops. Fantastic post to spread the word of the greatness of Link's Awakening. Don't really have anything to add, except maybe to just mention the whole storyline with Marin and the island of Koholint is one of the more touching, emotional ones in Zelda.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I always thought that LA was a bit bland. None of the dungeons are particularly memorable and half of the overworld looks the same. It's impressive for a Gameboy game, but it didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Darryl

Banned
It has always felt like a critical game to me. Probably tied with Ocarina of Time as most important, in my opinion.

Probably my favorite 2D Zelda, it's only marred by a few technical limitations such as only being limited to 2 items at a time, small squares of movement per "box," etc.

It really doesn't get enough credit for how much it innovation it brought to the series. It set puzzles as an important aspect of the series, introduced a few mini-games such as fishing that have become mainstays since, the Owl and musical motifs throughout the games, etc.

Links Awakening could really benefit from a ALBW style reboot or even just a flat out remake. There's so many little things to improve upon that would make it near perfect.

bengraven

I'm torn on my favorite between LA and Ocarina.

LA definitely set up a lot of canon, music that persisted until recent entries. I still adore the world and characters and it had some of my favorite dungeons.

This brings back memories - I borrowed my brother's og Gameboy to play it when it came out. Every bit as fun and memorable as LTTP, that I had finished shortly before.

Inspired by Twin Peaks apparently...

Muffdraul

Same here and I assume it would still be that way today, but Nintendo eventually felt they had to finally give in and give the fanboys what they'd been clamoring for ever since OoT- a definitive timeline that connects all of the games directly, sense of it be damned.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
There are two types of Zelda in my eyes: compelling and fun. Compelling Zelda games are fun, but fun Zelda games are not necessarily compelling. A compelling game like Majoras Mask, LA, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Minish Cap, Seasons, and Ages have a looming sense of dread at all times, either because of lives being directly at stake, or because there are repercussions if your quest is not finished.

In those games, monsters and chaos are unnatural, and the goal is to restore order that the land once knew. In other games, the monsters are natural, and the goal is to eradicate the threat from the land and create the peace that the land never knew.

One feels like a noble quest filled with danger and challenges, and the other feels like a personal mission with peoples hopes and dreams backing you. The compelling ones are always the better games IMO.

Hyoukokun

This was the first game I owned, so I admit to being a bit biased - but it has retained a special place in my heart. I've often thought it should get more credit for its many gameplay and stylistic innovations. One that I'm not sure you mentioned: the option to equip and use multiple non-sword items together was great, including both 'required' combos (Pegasus boots + Roc's feather) and non-required (bomb + bows).

It did also start some trends that in retrospect I find a bit frustrating - the messages whenever you encountered an object you weren't equipped to handle got on my nerves after the third or fourth repetition...

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, the "Flute" in LTTP was an error, in the original it was ocarina as well.

What do you think of the recent games? I haven't played SS or ALBW but when playing Wind Waker and Twilight Princess I did have a feeling at points that developers always had the question "How do we ensure that this is a Zelda game?" in the forefront of their mind.

I have no opinions on Zelda 1 or Link's Adventure. Need to fix that.

Link To The Past is solid, but that's it for me. Never loved it, but played it and had fun.

Ocarina of Time is in the same boat, I appreciate it but I don't like to regularly play it.

Majora's Mask is really interesting, but sometimes I wonder if it's brilliance is a bit overstated. I need to get around to playing the remake, last time I played it though a few years back I enjoyed it a lot. I enjoyed it back when it was released in 2000 because I loved Awakening, so another off-beat Zelda was right up my alley, and I never found it difficult.

Wind Waker is a great game, but replaying the HD Version definitely highlighted some of the flaws in pacing and difficulty. It's one of those games that I like to keep more in my memory, where it fills me with joy thinking back on it, but I don't really like to play it though.

Twilight Princess I disliked at first, but I've replayed it a few times, and now I really like it. 100% cleared it even after three tries starting over. It's in my opinion the peak of the main LTTP/Ocarina formula, and I sort of see it as "Arcade Zelda" with all the different elements it throws at you throughout the game. It has issues, the beginning, but the use of items, the Dungeons, and the bosses are all top-notch. Even the graphics which were dull to me at first aren't too bad, I guess because its bloom art-style isn't overused now like it was when it first came out, so it feels fresh.

Skyward Sword is a pain to play, and I've yet to beat it, but everytime I've gone back to it I liked it a little more, and I'll probably beat it one day (stopped right before the last Dungeon). It's got a lot of great ideas, but a lot of bad ideas. I guess I probably appreciate that a bit more than it taking the easy way out and not trying anything new.

Oracles and Minish Cap are the closest Nintendo has come to capturing the Awakening feel, and have some great elements to them. I'm pissed we won't get any more Nintendo x Capcom Zelda games probably.

Phantom Hourglass is quirky, and sort of an unimaginative mix of Link's Awakening (the 'just a dream' element) and Wind Waker, but I think the Ocean King Dungeon is fun once you get accustomed to its idea, and the use of the touch-screen leads to some interesting ideas that aren't fully realized. I don't hate it like most people do.

Spirit Tracks is in the same boat, but I actually think it's worse despite that being the opposite opinion among most...the train becomes tedious, it doesn't do enough to differentiate it either, and I just enjoyed Phantom Hourglass more when I went back to them. Still, I wanted to see one more game in the style of the two honestly because I liked some of their ideas and wanted to see the formula mastered.

Link Between Worlds is the opposite of Skyward Sword, it's easier to pick up and play, but I find it very bland and doesn't try enough to be different for my tastes. Handheld Zelda tend to be more experimental, but I thought this one played things too safe...the most interesting thing were the "Challenge Rooms" which according to the Iwata Asks is how things started out in development as bunch of disjointed puzzle rooms to show a proof of concept. The dual-world concept is more or less the same as in LTTP, and confusing since it's a sequel and has Lorule which looks basically just like the Dark World but isn't, it re-uses a lot of stuff from it with few surprises, has a very uninteresting art-style and not anyone that memorable, and even the wall mechanic isn't enough to carry the game for me. I find the choose-your-Dungeon-order to hurt things more than they help, and I don't really need that to return unless they make it more interesting somehow. I don't wanna see it become the new standard for handheld Zelda, except for using the basic overhead style perhaps and engine. Everything else needs to be changed to be more unique.

I always thought that LA was a bit bland. None of the dungeons are particularly memorable and half of the overworld looks the same. It's impressive for a Gameboy game, but it didn't leave much of an impression on me.

I can bump with this. The Dungeons aren't really stand-out, I agree, but that's not what makes Link's Awakening so good, it's usually getting to the Dungeon that's the fun part.

I agree that besides Eagle's Tower and the DX Color Dungeon I really couldn't tell you much from memory what each Dungeon is like. The Mini-Bosses and Bosses are pretty cute and fun since they talk to you.

whoa! just completed this for the first time yesterday!...

excellent op. yeah, i was very impressed by the number of now-familiar mechanics i was seeing, & also by the variety of quirky npcs. the island is very cleverly laid out, & the dungeons are pretty diabolical (particularly the last couple)...

&, finally, it was kinda mind-blowing watching the credits run, & seeing the names of only maybe 12-15 people, in total! amazing :) ...

I just actually finished this for the first time a couple of days ago. Some sort of remaster would be amazing in my opinion.

I thought it was really interesting how there were so many elements from the Nintendo franchise in it.
Bow Wow (I think that's the dog's name), Yoshi (the doll), and the killer mushrooms are all examples that I can immediately recall.

Pociask

Played on the OG Gameboy. Such a great game. Probably the best actual story ever told in a Zelda game. And if the items were recycled, at least it established a stable set of awesome stable set of items - seriously, how are the boomerang and slingshot now regulars, but we lost the fire rod? I can't remember, but I feel like it also wasn't weighted down with the boring inventory boosting items of today - no bomb bags, just bombs (but it has been a long time, so maybe I have forgotten).

Was it also the first Zelda game where you could turn the cute animal NPCs into murderous rage monsters? It was also great at making the whole world dense, full of secrets and reasons to come back. Sooo good. And great OP btw, don't cater to the Twitter set.

TreIII

My overall fave Zelda game (or at least, if we only count traditional games, and not Zelda 2).

And it's good to see a listing of what the game did for the series, as I do agree it does get left out compared to LTTP or OoT, with regards to what it contributed to what most consider "modern Zelda".

By reading all the responses I feel like I read the first post!
In all seriousness though I never played it but have been wanting to. Imo the top down Zeldas were the best. Thanks though now you have me intrigued to go play it for real.

Junahu

For me, Link's Awakening was memorable for being the first game to actually flesh out the link between the player and Link.

Alttp tried to spur you into a basic revenge plot by having Link's uncle die, but it doesn't resonate much at all with the player. There was simply no time spent giving us a reason to care about the uncle, and his passing has no impact on the way the game plays. 5 Minutes later you'll have completely forgotten about him, as you slash your way through a castle and rescue a fair damsel.

Link's Awakening on the other hand, threatens to
obliterate the entire gameworld and all of its inhabitants, as a direct and unavoidable consequence of your quest to awaken the windfish
. It challenges the player with the possibility that advancing the story is a bad thing. Even though you're getting all these new items that allow you to explore more and more of this mysterious island, your curiosity and desire for power is leading the game towards a bittersweet conclusion. You'll get to leave the island, but at what cost?
It's very powerful stuff, especially for an ancient handheld game.

Watch Da Birdie

I just actually finished this for the first time a couple of days ago. Some sort of remaster would be amazing in my opinion.

I thought it was really interesting how there were so many elements from the Nintendo franchise in it.
Bow Wow (I think that's the dog's name), Yoshi (the doll), and the killer mushrooms are all examples that I can immediately recall.

If I remember right and using the Wiki:

* Chain Chomp (Bow-Wow, but in Japan they're both Wan-Wan which means Bow-Wow)
* Yoshi Doll
* Tarin = Mario. Also turns into a Tanuki.
* A picture of Princess Peach used by the goat.
* Prince Richard from For the Frog The Bells Toll
* Mr. Wright from Sim City SNES
* Wart from SMB2US, called Mamu here, his Japanese name.
* Shy Guy called Mask Mimic, but their Japanese names are both Hei-Ho
* Anti-Kirby
* "Bloobers"
* Goomba
* Piranha Plant
* Cheep-Cheep
* Thwomps
* Boos
* Podoboo
* Pokey
* "Spiked Beetle", Spiny from Mario as in Japan both are Togezo (there's also a Kirby foe named this too)
* Boo Blah from Yoshi's Island in Link's Awakening DX

Fun Fact: According to the Japanese Manual of the NES Zelda, Digdogger in that game is a Unira from Clu Clu Land, and Manhandla is a Pirahna Plant from Mario.

Parshias7

Link's Awakening is easily a Top 5 Zelda game for me. Used to be Top 3, but ALBW bumped it out of there for me.

Ballad of the Wind Fish is some of the best Zelda music of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Top Bottom