• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List of Wii U games that supports 5.1 surround sound

After looking on the internet for such a list I failed to find one so I decided to post one here. I have taken my initial data from the Japanese Nintendo site so there are probably a few games missing. I will try to update this post as needed.

Send me to a room with mono sound if this has been done already.

Art Academy
Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Batman: Arkham City
Batman: Arkham Origins
Bayonetta 2
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Child of Light (eShop)
Devil's Third
Disney Infinity
Disney Infinity 2.0
Disney Infinity 3.0
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Dr Luigi (eShop)
F1 Race Stars™ Powered Up Edition
FIFA 13
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2
Genei Ibun Roku ♯FE
Hyrule Warriors
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
Lego City Undercover
Lego Jurassic World
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
Mario vs. Donkey Kong Tipping Stars
Mass Effect 3
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Wii U
Nano Assault Neo (eShop)
Need For Speed Most Wanted U
Ninja Gaiden 3
Nintendo×JOYSOUND Wii カラオケ U
One Piece: Unlimited World Red
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2
Pikmin 3
Project Zero/Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
Rabbids Land
Resident Evil: Revelations
Skylanders: Giants
Skylanders: Swap Force
Skylanders: Trap Team
Skylanders: SuperChargers
Sniper Elite V2
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Sonic Lost World
Splatoon
Super Mario 3D World
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
The LEGO Movie Videogame
The Wonderful 101
Trine 2 (eShop)
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Wii Sports
Zombi U
ご当地鉄道 ~ご当地キャラと日本全国の旅~
仮面ライダー サモンライド! (another Kamen Rider game)
仮面ライダー バトライド・ウォーⅡ(Kamen Rider Battride War II)
藤子・F・不二雄キャラクターズ 大集合!SFドタバタパーティー!! (Doraemon)

Omg so that's why I wasn't getting 5.1 on Xenoblade. Wtf? Honestly I thought it was my setup. I can't believe this system barely has 5.1 support when the first Xbox in 2002 had it in most of its games. It's stuff like this which has made me leave Nintendo they are really behind. Hopefully their next console won't be missing things that are normal like 5.1, achievements and a profile shared across their devices.

Xenoblade would haves sounded fantastic in 5.1 with all the ambient noises from the open world.

CaVaYeRo

And HDMI-only screws up my chance, as I need native optical or intermediate converting solution. :( Too bad as I really enjoy good 5.1 sound.

PrimeX

So Yoshi has no 5.1 love? Just bought the game and was looking forward to play it on my surround system. Kirby too... :/

Madao

of the games i own, only Nintendoland, Mario Maker, SSB Wii U, Yoshi's Woolly World and Xenoblade X don't appear in the list.

it's weird that Xenoblde isn't there considering even shovelware such as Mario Party 10 and Mario Tennis support 5.1

i don't mind 2D games not having it since they don't really benefit from it as much but a 3D game missing it is pretty weird.

Trojan

WTF? I am legit shook that 5.1 sound has such little support on Wii U. Disgraceful for Nintendo in 2016.

WTF? I am legit shook that 5.1 sound has such little support on Wii U. Disgraceful for Nintendo in 2016.

Well, considering how few people noticed until now, I'm not sure how big of an issue it really is.

And I saw that as one who also loves 5.1, but it's been my experience that most people don't have a proper setup for it

It's interesting not to see Super Smash Bros. for Wii U in the list. Interesting, but not surprising, as the game uses a lot of compositions from days where Dolby Pro Logic II was the only option (and even more - from pre-GameCube games). And the game is a 2D one gameplay-wise...

kitsuneyo

Unless I'm in a cinema, I have no interest in surround sound. It's not immersive, it's weird and distracting. Stereo is better.

Robin64

It's a shame the Netflix app doesn't support 5.1, but that's because the Wii U only does uncompressed 5.1 audio (and is also why you need to get it via HDMI).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I feel like surround sound was a hot topic 15 years ago... but now so many people don't even notice it....

Like, it should be there in 2016. We take for granted that it's there. But it means we might not even notice when it isn't...

Madao

on a different note, i still find funny that one complain about a Nintendo console is basically that "it's too advanced in one area" since HDMI uncompressed sound is better than the best optical can do.

Oppo

so is this just Nintendo being miserly about Dolby licenses or what

I remember when the Wii U was first detailed, this was a pretty bad black mark at the time

Robin64

so is this just Nintendo being miserly about Dolby licenses or what

I remember when the Wii U was first detailed, this was a pretty bad black mark at the time

Heh, basically yeah. No Dolby and DTS because you gotta pay for those, but uncompressed LPCM is nice non-licensed format.

To be fair, any system bought within the last 6 years or so should have support for that.

Heh, basically yeah. No Dolby and DTS because you gotta pay for those, but uncompressed LPCM is nice non-licensed format.

What about Dolby Pro Logic II or how that quasi-stereo-to-surround GameCube/Wii U technology was called? Is it royalty-free?

Madao

What about Dolby Pro Logic II or how that quasi-stereo-to-surround GameCube/Wii U technology was called? Is it royalty-free?

i'm guessing it also had a fee. they used it because it's the best they could do with analog red/white cables. they're now probably happy they don't have to pay any fees.
plus, that was worse than DTS/DD anyway.

Omg so that's why I wasn't getting 5.1 on Xenoblade. Wtf? Honestly I thought it was my setup...
Xenoblade would haves sounded fantastic in 5.1 with all the ambient noises from the open world.

Xenoblade X not having it is stupid, but aside from that nothing major stands out. 2D games don't need it IMO.

I agree it's a shame. It might be because the disc was already too full? I wish they would let us download a sound patch option then :/

Yeah, I didn't notice until almost 10 hours in that I wasn't getting any signal from the rear channels when playing Xenoblade Chronicles X. It was quite disappointing. I thought I had accidently changed some settings on my receiver but nope, the game just wasn't mixed in 5.1 surround I discovered. That was a very odd decision.

KyleCross

Wait, you mean it isn't a standard on the systems library? WTF, I thought practically every game starting with last-gen had it.

Piccoro

I think it's criminal that Smash 4 doesn't support 5.1.

And it's even more criminal that Dolby 5.1 isn't supported...

Not_Mario

Neo Member
Doesn't 5.1 surround sound require some extra processing? Could that be why it's not in Xenobiade X or is the processing required inconsequential?

on a different note, i still find funny that one complain about a Nintendo console is basically that "it's too advanced in one area" since HDMI uncompressed sound is better than the best optical can do.

It's not that it's "too advanced", it's that there's no fallback for people with cheaper/older surround sound systems. Nobody wants them to get rid of uncompressed HDMI audio, just for them to have wider compatibility.

Top Bottom