• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Inferno |OT| The new game from the developers of World of Goo

TheExodu5

Banned
I had no idea this existed. I absolutely adored World of Goo, and it sounds like this game will tickle me in just the right ways. Going to check it out when I can get it on a bit of a discount though, as my gaming plate is quite full at the moment.

finished last night
oh my the feels ...

will knock out the remaining combos in the list gradually, as a little fun thing to do while watching tv or something

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
It's interesting, but I really don't think it was worth $15.

$5 would have been ideal given it's more of a "one time, experimental"-type game, but I could see up to $10 given that it's an "Indie" game and will have lower sales.

I paid $15 and I'm feeling ripped off. I mean, it's interesting for what it was, but I feel like it was overpriced by at least 33.3%.

King_Moc

Banned
I played the whole game through in one sitting on Sunday. Took 4 hours. Absolutely loved it. If i go back and get all the combo's it'd probably add another 2 hours to that. The art, physics, story and humour are all absolutely top notch.

AzaK

Can someone explain the "Gameness" to me? Watching videos seems like there's combo's but there doesn't seem a point other than just to say you have the combo. It seems like you can wait for as long as you need for delivery to get the items you need, then you just chuck em in and burn em.

Am I wrong?

It looks appealing from a stylistic point of view but I'm not sure I want to drop the cash on it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Can someone explain the "Gameness" to me? Watching videos seems like there's combo's but there doesn't seem a point other than just to say you have the combo. It seems like you can wait for as long as you need for delivery to get the items you need, then you just chuck em in and burn em.

Am I wrong?

It looks appealing from a stylistic point of view but I'm not sure I want to drop the cash on it.

The majority of the gameplay lies within linguistic puzzles.

The game has as whole set of "combo" bonuses, which all have cryptic names. Figure out which items combine to match the combo bonus and you get the bonus.

That's the closest thing to traditional gameplay I've found, and it IS an interesting puzzle game. The problem is that everything else in the game is just atmosphere and "burning things toy."

(I suppose the bigger problem is that you don't really need to DO any of the combos at all to progress through the story. If you ignore the combo gameplay, you're pretty much left with a linear "use item to progress" story.)

If the game were $5, I'd recommend it immediately as an interesting gameplay experiment. At $10, I'd hesitate a bit, but understand that the development team needs money. $15 just seems too much, though.

Assuming the news about eShop prices being set by developers, I wish I'd waited for a sale.

AzaK

The majority of the gameplay lies within linguistic puzzles.

The game has as whole set of "combo" bonuses, which all have cryptic names. Figure out which items combine to match the combo bonus and you get the bonus.

That's the closest thing to traditional gameplay I've found, and it IS an interesting puzzle game. The problem is that everything else in the game is just atmosphere and "burning things toy."

(I suppose the bigger problem is that you don't really need to DO any of the combos at all to progress through the story. If you ignore the combo gameplay, you're pretty much left with a linear "use item to progress" story.)

If the game were $5, I'd recommend it immediately as an interesting gameplay experiment. At $10, I'd hesitate a bit, but understand that the development team needs money. $15 just seems too much, though.

Assuming the news about eShop prices being set by developers, I wish I'd waited for a sale.

Thanks for that. I think I'm now leaning towards giving it a miss. If it comes down in price enough then I'll bite.

StevieP

Banned
Thanks for that. I think I'm now leaning towards giving it a miss. If it comes down in price enough then I'll bite.

I agree that $15 is a bit steep for a 4hrish indie title, but this one is really well made. A lot of care went into it.

Eusis

At least on Deluxe the $5 digital promo can take the sting off, but unlike World of Goo it definitely doesn't feel like it justifies $15. Ah well, at least it was memorable and very likable, I regretted Limbo way more despite that being more substantial.

Tom_Cody

Can the game be played exclusively on the Wii-U gamepad?

Yes! My wife and I are traveling to visit family, and we brought along the Wii U. We played plenty of Little Inferno without a TV. Just plug in the console's power, and you're good to go.
Cool.

I just heard about this from that Ian Bogost article. I think this will be fun game to play through mostly/entirely on the gamepad.

Yami

Just read on the Red Bull site (of all places) that they're planning on making the game moddable, meaning you can make your own stories and add things into the game. Worth a read as they chat about how they managed to create the game despite all three devs living in separate states.

That said, the game is pretty fantastic. Played it on a friend's Wii U, and there's just so much satisfaction from burning things.

magiustra

Just read on the Red Bull site (of all places) that they're planning on making the game moddable, meaning you can make your own stories and add things into the game. Worth a read as they chat about how they managed to create the game despite all three devs living in separate states.

That said, the game is pretty fantastic. Played it on a friend's Wii U, and there's just so much satisfaction from burning things.

Cool read: thanks for the link.

JosiahB

I have to say I've really enjoyed this game, though I guess some people will get more out of it then others. I've already played through the game three times (total time playing the game is somewhere around 20 hours). I also enjoy just burning things sometimes; I love how if you place two of the gravity signs facing each other, you get zero gravity.

Also, I really need to be able to buy the soundtrack somewhere, now.

stolin

I finished it last night @ 100% in Wii U. Took 5 hours, but was well worth it. About 50% on TV & GamePad.

I know I'm gonna replay it eventually.. maybe in a year once I forget all the combos, but now my brother is playing it after being interested watching me play so it's getting life.

If you know all of the combos and make it quick, yes, I guess that's possible.

But this game is not played for completitions sake.

thomaser

Downloaded it tonight and finished it in 2:44 hours with a good three-fourths of the combos. Can't say it is wonderful as a game, but it's definitely a great experience! Kept me hooked until the end (which was a little disappointing... I believed it would go in another direction).

I loved the style and music, and think these developers should do something similar with their next game... perhaps a point-and-click adventure in the same universe,
with the same style as in Little Inferno's ending sequence?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This game sounds pretty interesting, shame I'm having trouble downloading the WiiU update so I can't connect to the internet :(

choodi

Banned
While the "game" itself is quite limited, I just love the atmosphere and the quirky sorry telling.

It is also the perfect type of experience for the offscreen gaming of the Wii U Gamepad. I think the majority of my time spent playing has been with the TV turned off.

thomaser

Anyone know what the reasoning is for the black, silver, or gold around objects in your inventory is?

I read that it has to do with how many times you've bought them. Gold items have been bought five times or more, and are restocked instantly.

AzaK

Bought it in a moment of weakness but I'm not liking it at all so far. Just click, burn, click burn without much in the way of "game". I had heard this from others before I bought so I'm not too surprised, just a little bummed out about the shallowness so far. I'll stick with it and see if it gets any better. Maybe I just need to get into the groove.

I'm playing on the GamePad but I think I'll switch to Wii Remote cause not looking at my TV while playing seems weird.

choodi

Banned
I'm playing on the GamePad but I think I'll switch to Wii Remote cause not looking at my TV while playing seems weird.

Just switch the TV off and play it like A handheld game. It takes away all of the weirdness of not looking at the big screen and makes the game feel much more intimate, which is what I think they were going for.

Morts

Just finished this. One of the most charming things I've played in long time.

The ending sequence was completely unexpected and really satisfying.
Worth the $15.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Anyone know what the reasoning is for the black, silver, or gold around objects in your inventory is?

If you make all the items gold, you get a bonus -
It's a letter thanking you for being such a good customer.
Not really worth getting though.

Finished this earlier... not sure about it really. Got all the combos and I can't help feeling that there could have been a bit more to the game for the price.

Hoping there are some fairly significant easter eggs but no-one seems to have found any yet.

Finished this earlier... not sure about it really. Got all the combos and I can't help feeling that there could have been a bit more to the game for the price.

Hoping there are some fairly significant easter eggs but no-one seems to have found any yet.

They say they are thinking of doing some user modded creative stuff with additional content.

xanavi

So I think we can all agree that the game's alluding to
the death of the Sun and end of life on Earth
, yeah? Kind of a
fitting game for the coming apocalypse.

M_A_C

Are the PC and Wii U versions identical? They are both the same price, I'm not sure which version to get.

Top Bottom