• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Inferno |OT| The new game from the developers of World of Goo

Chev

So I think we can all agree that the game's alluding to
the death of the Sun and end of life on Earth
, yeah? Kind of a
fitting game for the coming apocalypse.
I got a completely different interpretation.
For me the smoke's actually what's blocking the sun, and the same rampant consumerism that people think should save their lives is destroying them

ArjanN

For me the smoke's actually what's blocking the sun, and the same rampant consumerism that people think should save their lives is destroying them

That sounds more likely.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I thought this Errant Signal video on YouTube was a brilliant analysis of the game and made me think about it in a different way.

Don't watch if you haven't completed the game - it spoils everything. Little Inferno is a game best played blind with no foreknowledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8nwRCW-tJU

xanavi

My problem with that interpretation is that
without the pretense of keeping warm the Little Inferno Fireplace seems like a harder sell to consumers. Miss Nancy says that it's been snowing since she can remember and it will only get colder. I guess it depends on what kind of person you think she is. She gave me the impression of a person trying to ease the suffering of the rest of mankind in its final moments rather than someone just out to get theirs.
Neat game either way though.

nofi

Just bought this based on the impressions in this thread - smaller (in terms of length) games are perfect for me just now. =)

JoseJX

I picked this up today and couldn't put it down until I'd made it to the end. Fantastic world, wonderful presentation. yes, there really isn't much depth, but the charm easily lets you look past that.

I do think I burned through the catalogs more quickly towards the end (pun intended) but I'll go back to get all of the combos later. Anyway, it's a wonderful game, definitely pick it up if you like weird experiences, but not if you're looking for something deep.

Just got around to finishing this myself. I didn't get all the combos - I think there were about a dozen still to find. I will probably play through it again at some point and go for 100%

For me the atmosphere and the little touches of humour are what made this a worthwhile experience. Well worth a download.

i plan on picking this up tonight while its on sale. quick question, is it easy to delete my credit card after i purchase? i dont want it stuck on my system. i had issues in the past with the Xbox 360

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
i plan on picking this up tonight while its on sale. quick question, is it easy to delete my credit card after i purchase? i dont want it stuck on my system. i had issues in the past with the Xbox 360

When you type in your credit card details, they ask if you want it stored permanently or not. Just click "No" and you'll be fine.

Chev

My problem with that interpretation is that
without the pretense of keeping warm the Little Inferno Fireplace seems like a harder sell to consumers. Miss Nancy says that it's been snowing since she can remember and it will only get colder. I guess it depends on what kind of person you think she is. She gave me the impression of a person trying to ease the suffering of the rest of mankind in its final moments rather than someone just out to get theirs.
Neat game either way though.

Not hard to explain.
They just had one colder winter that kickstarted it all. As for Nancy she can be believing she's doing the right thing and still be causing the end of mankind through rampant marketing.

xanavi

Not hard to explain.
They just had one colder winter that kickstarted it all. As for Nancy she can be believing she's doing the right thing and still be causing the end of mankind through rampant marketing.

That's fine
but there's no dialogue in the game to suggest that. Nancy say it's been snowing since she can remember. That to me says it's been snowing since before she's even been selling Little Inferno fireplaces. I didn't find anything in the dialogue to suggest mankind was to blame for the Earth's current climate either. I think it takes less assumptions to reach a "next ice age" or "death of the sun" conclusion based on the text in the game.

Is anyone going to replay the game anytime soon? Does anyone want to burn about four hours for an experiment? I am extremely curious with what happens when you
keep all of Sugar Plumps' gifts. It is possible to do so if you get rid of the Free Hug Coupon, but it is rather tedious as well. After spending about four hours beating it myself, I watched my sister play it for another four hours. I convinced her to keep all of the gifts. At the end, she purchased the items necessary to complete the final combo. As she burned them, I could swear I saw her receive a letter with an exclamation mark (showing that you needed to attach something). I did not receive this letter on my file. Unfortunately, the end of the game already initiated before we could read the letter, and by the time we returned to the fireplace, the letter was gone.

I'm curious, but I don't want to sink another four hours for something that I think I saw. If anyone is thinking of replaying the game for their own intentions, I hope you consider my request. Eventually, I may take it upon myself, but it won't be anytime soon. This is just in the event someone happens to replay the game.

axisofweevils

Is anyone going to replay the game anytime soon? Does anyone want to burn about four hours for an experiment? I am extremely curious with what happens when you
keep all of Sugar Plumps' gifts. It is possible to do so if you get rid of the Free Hug Coupon, but it is rather tedious as well. After spending about four hours beating it myself, I watched my sister play it for another four hours. I convinced her to keep all of the gifts. At the end, she purchased the items necessary to complete the final combo. As she burned them, I could swear I saw her receive a letter with an exclamation mark (showing that you needed to attach something). I did not receive this letter on my file. Unfortunately, the end of the game already initiated before we could read the letter, and by the time we returned to the fireplace, the letter was gone.

I'm curious, but I don't want to sink another four hours for something that I think I saw. If anyone is thinking of replaying the game for their own intentions, I hope you consider my request. Eventually, I may take it upon myself, but it won't be anytime soon. This is just in the event someone happens to replay the game.

I'll give it a go.

UPDATE: I tried because I was planning on replaying the game again. Nothing new happened.
It took 5 and a half hours. However, it does seem possible to keep all her gifts AND the free hug token. If anyone wants to try that, be my guest.

Gotta say this game is great, I love just loading the fireplace up with tons of stuff and seeing what happens. The fire effects and sound track are amazing. The game is worth the 10$ admission.

Gotta say this game is great, I love just loading the fireplace up with tons of stuff and seeing what happens. The fire effects and sound track are amazing. The game is worth the 10$ admission.

agree, love the game, i bought it last night, planned on just checking it out for maybe an hour, ended up playing it for close to 3 hours

choodi

Banned

I'm going with this interpretation.

That Errant Signal video posted above is a great explanation too if anyone is interested in exploring the deeper meanings of this story.

I bought this since it went on sale for $10. Definitely worth the money, I enjoyed the four hours it lasted. $15 would be pushing it, since this does not have the replay and challenge value World of Goo had.

axisofweevils

Right, I tried again......

After you've almost completed the fireplace section of the game, when you're instructed to burn the 4 items together.... If you wait, you get another letter, giving you a stronger clue as to what the items are. Wait more, you get an even stronger clue. Wait even more, and the final letter actually spells out what the four items are.

Wow, I sincerely apologize for making you waste all that time. I could have sworn there was a letter with an exclamation point. I must have been sorely mistaken. I really appreciate all the trouble you went through.

I think it is impossible to keep the Free Hug Coupon as well. You have one item slot left, but you would need to free another slot when you have to send Sugar Plumps the Sunglasses with her letter.

Wow, I sincerely apologize for making you waste all that time. I could have sworn there was a letter with an exclamation point. I must have been sorely mistaken. I really appreciate all the trouble you went through.

I think it is impossible to keep the Free Hug Coupon as well. You have one item slot left, but you would need to free another slot when you have to send Sugar Plumps the Sunglasses with her letter.

It is possible to keep it, I had it all the way through and to the end.

If you didn't try that right away to see if it worked, I don't know what kind of gamer you are. :p

Guess my 4 year old is more of a gamer than me lol. I might be the only one but this game messed with my emotions. The sound track along with the brilliant writing got to me, I just finished it and its up there with journey for digital game of the year.

axisofweevils

My friend just found out that the
face in the back of the fireplace can wear the sunglasses
Also, he proved that
you can't keep the hug token, if you want to keep the 5 gifts too. However, you can complete the game with the 5 gifts and the mousepad (the reward for getting all 99 combos.) Nothing changes though.

ASIS

Just got and beat the game... its good, here's my take regarding the story.

is the entire game based on propaganda and exploitation of consumerism? We know for a fact that little inferno is not helping the weather. As a matter of fact it seems like it just worsens it. Furthermore, the neighbor's letter suggests that, while the apocalypse seems real, it is not a worldwide phenomena. Yet no one is doing anything about it.

Not sure if its right or wrong but that's what I got from it.

GulAtiCa

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but it seems this is the first game on a Nintendo eShop to get a permanent price drop. Now $9.99 in North America. I know it got a fixed price drop in Europe as well, if I recall correctly.

farnham

Banned
so i finally finished the game. it was a very short burst through but I am satisfied for the money I paid.

It is still a very odd game. I never seen such a crazy premise and such a crazy execution. it is just really creepy but somehow makes sense in its own way.

strange.

farnham

Banned
Just got and beat the game... its good, here's my take regarding the story.

is the entire game based on propaganda and exploitation of consumerism? We know for a fact that little inferno is not helping the weather. As a matter of fact it seems like it just worsens it. Furthermore, the neighbor's letter suggests that, while the apocalypse seems real, it is not a worldwide phenomena. Yet no one is doing anything about it.

Not sure if its right or wrong but that's what I got from it.

interesting interpretation.
i loved the comment of the delivery person btw once you are out of your room. especially in light of the interpretation that you have

BuzzJive

At first I was pretty disappointed. 7 or so hours later, I'm racking my brain to figure out my last 3 combos. Interesting game for sure.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just about to beat the game, but I want to try for the last few combos first (I'm at 74/99). Really enjoyed the game, the atmosphere is just so awesome. I really like the sense of minimalism, how your "world" is just the fireplace but they hint at so much going on in the background, via the use of letters.

The fire effects are cool and the product descriptions are really funny! I just wish I started this game 2 weeks ago when the northeast had that huge snowstorm and I was stuck inside!

This game is on sale for $4 on steam this weekend. I really enjoyed it. It really seems like a game intended to be played in one sitting. (took me a little over 2 hours) The music and atmosphere are great and the plot gets very meta and interesting. Definitely worth $4 if you like little games that have something big to say.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
So did I get the ending...
I burned the four items, the curtains burned, stuff fell from the chimney, then nothing happened. Is there something else I was supposed to do, or is that the end?

What happens when you've gotten all the combos?
I think you
just get a letter and a bunch of First-Class Stamps.

So did I get the ending...
I burned the four items, the curtains burned, stuff fell from the chimney, then nothing happened. Is there something else I was supposed to do, or is that the end?
If I recall correctly, you are
supposed to click on the broken counter in top corner.

Top Bottom