• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little SNES ROM Hacks

Jelle

I got a lot of these hacks working on my SNES mini...the only one I'm having issues with is the LTTP Redux. Anyone have any luck?
Try applying the different patches to see which one works. I needed the 'headerless' one.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Just thought I'd make an enquiry here whilst I'm researching this: Is it possible to edit Super Mario Kart to remove certain items from the rotation?

This looks interesting..

Super Metroid Arcade : Endless mode
http://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=357

This is a endless mode for super metroid,

- When you enter a door it will put out in a random room and lock the door behind you to either force you to complete the room or pick up an item.
- Enemy Damage increases over time.
- Space jump, Gravity, Screw attack, Plasma are temporary, they disappear after a certain amount of time(visual timer gauge on the hud).
- Mother brain doesn't trigger the ending sequence instead its just a normal boss, the rainbow beam phase is skipped so you don't need 300 hp to beat mother brain.
- Score system for the amount of rooms and points when killing monster or completing achievements

You should never get a room that you can not complete, if you find yourself stuck ask a friend to review your mistake, if you feel its a legit stuck let me know on twitter @Lioran_Waters

Does these hacks work directly with snes mini or is there a need to do something else?

I've done the 7th Saga rebalancing patches and the FF6 Woosley translation patch, and they work fine on the Mini. Just be sure to follow the patch requirements (what version of the game to use, if it needs to be headerless, etc.).

There's a F-ZERO patch that includes 15 tracks in trial mode I want to get, how do I include the patch in F-ZERO game that's part of the SNES mini classic? I also read that you have to place the patch right before you open hakchi, right?

Psxphile

There's a F-ZERO patch that includes 15 tracks in trial mode I want to get, how do I include the patch in F-ZERO game that's part of the SNES mini classic? I also read that you have to place the patch right before you open hakchi, right?

patch the rom using an IPS patcher (Lunar IPS, Floating IPS are both recommended and simple to use).
EDIT: oh right, you're asking about the original file in the Mini.

I've done the 7th Saga rebalancing patches and the FF6 Woosley translation patch, and they work fine on the Mini. Just be sure to follow the patch requirements (what version of the game to use, if it needs to be headerless, etc.).

Do your saves/save states from the patched versions of the games work on the built-in versions of the games (FFVI, specifically)?

Leynos

The original 21 games are read-only, and can not be patched. You will have to patch a different ROM of F-Zero, then hide the original that came with the unit.

Psxphile

TDon't suppose it's possible to mod a run button into FFV? I forgot if they have sprint shoes in the game, but not being able to run is a little bothersome.

One of the Jobs (Thief, I think) grants you the Sprint ability when you level it up, which you can transfer to other classes like an accessory. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a patch that adds a B-button run that mimics the GBA version or some other type in any of the patches on romhacking.net.

I suppose someone would have to come up with one from scratch or just enable Thief's auto-run indefinitely. There might be a Game Genie code for that?

SOLDIER

One of the Jobs (Thief, I think) grants you the Sprint ability when you level it up, which you can transfer to other classes like an accessory. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a patch that adds a B-button run that mimics the GBA version or some other type in any of the patches on romhacking.net.

I suppose someone would have to come up with one from scratch or just enable Thief's auto-run indefinitely. There might be a Game Genie code for that?

If there is, how do you use game genie with this?

Psxphile

If there is, how do you use game genie with this?

Most emulators and even Hakchi allow for the use of Game Genie/Action Replay codes. In Hakchi there's a line on the right when adding a game where you can input game genie codes, seperated by comma. I assume they apply when booting the game once in the SNES Classic mini.

Although now that I think about it, that might be a holdover from when Hakchi primarily worked with the NES mini and the function hasn't been implemented for the SNES mini yet.

SOLDIER

Are there any hacks that reduce the slowdown in Earthbound, and/or uncensor some of the things censored in the Western release?

Are there patches available for SNES sports games with updated teams and rosters? I'd love some NHL94 with today's teams.

Or is that just crazy talk?

Theres a Tecmo Super Bowl III 2017 hack

While I'm here, Call of Cthulhu is a hard but really cool mario hack
RrQ2w2P.png

dock

The original 21 games are read-only, and can not be patched. You will have to patch a different ROM of F-Zero, then hide the original that came with the unit.

Can the original games be hidden individually? I want to add Yoshi's Island without the baby noises.

pitt_norton

Are there any legit Battle Clash, Metal Combat, Yoshi Safari joypad hacks floating about or being worked on?

I was stoked to get hold of that joypad hack for mario and wario! Those superscope games would make my day!

SOLDIER

I'm not sure if I should do this, or just the bugfix and play it OG...

I’ve yet to read about a single person getting this hack to work.

It sounds super interesting too. I would love to try it.

Also I’ve been trying to get Secret of Mana working properly in Retroarch with the font patch, but so far it’s been a no-go.

Someone's doing a Super Mario World romhack to backport many of the GBA improvements into the SNES release.

Some features

- Dragon coins, power ups, lives, and Yoshi coins save over power cycles.

- Beating any ordinary level for the first time brings up the save prompt, but just in case you beat all the levels without all the coins, re completing any ghost house also brings up the save prompt.

-That nifty progress screen from sma2 is available, just hit select on the overworld to see it!
unknown.png

- After you free a different color Yoshi in star world, he becomes available in top secret area and in places where you'd normally find regular Yoshi. You just need to have the right power up to get him.

- Certain graphics have been replaced with their Mario Maker equivalents.

- All level changes from SMA2 have been ported, however adaptations related to the GBA's smaller screen size were ignored, because unneeded on the SNES.

-And more!

That progress screen won't let you fast travel to other levels yet, and no Luigi

Anth0ny

Nerdkiller

Membeur
this is really cool!

not SNES related, but my dream is for someone to take all of the Super Mario Deluxe additions that were made for the original SMB and port them all over to the original NES version that doesn't have a tiny ass screen.
Or how about the eReader levels and items for SMB3 All Stars?

Maybe I can ask this here!

Is there a good Final Fantasy IV SNES mod that someone can direct me to please?

So far I'm torn between the Project II mod and the Namingway Edition.

I'm interested in both but only need to get one of them. The only issue I have with Project II so far is that they use the old NA logo instead of the official one.

Some of my favorite snes hacks are small immersion things. The day/night cycle Link to the Past one for instance is super neat and doesn't really change anything gameplay wise.

Some of my favorite snes hacks are small immersion things. The day/night cycle Link to the Past one for instance is super neat and doesn't really change anything gameplay wise.

Not SNES but I like this one that aims to turn MC Kids from licensed marketing shill into something more respectable.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1136/

Nick and Will, reading late at night, suddenly find themselves transported to a land of magic. As outsiders, only they can help Walter the Wizard regain his powers and defeat the sly Dragon. Charged with finding the Magic Cards which can repair Magic Land, Nick and Will adventure through forests, volcanoes and even space in pursuit of the Dragon.

Magic Kids removes all references to fast food chains and their clown mascots from Virgin Games’ M.C. Kids. The improved graphics and text aim to create a more cohesive gameplay experience, uncluttered by shill for french fries.

I'm trying to patch the 15 tracks hack for F-ZERO, but it doesn't work. Once I started playing practice picking blue falcon, the tracks aren't unlocked and I don't see the blue falcon. Once the race starts, the screen turns black. I'm not sure why. I would like to know if anyone got this to work on their snes mini?

They used the parallax layer and enabled collision for it.

The whole hack makes me realise just how easy it is to do crazy space-bending bullshit in 2D compared to 3D

Oh yeah, there were a ton of great little things like that. The areas dependent on popping out the other side of the screen stood out too, and that one level thats almost entirely white and black. A great if short hack that would play great on SNES Classic.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Started playing Super Mario RPG with the PAL patch, but there were a few oddities like Bruce Lee being changed to Chuck Norris and Bowser victory stance looking glitchy that made me consider trying to find a simpler patch that only changes the button colours.

I found this post about it on Rom Hacking's forums, but the OP didn't post a patch. So I went ahead and used Lazy Shell to edit the hex myself. I also read that the Virtual Console release did make one small change for the UK release - changing an instance of the word "bugger" to "pest", so I thought I'd replicate that.

If anyone's interested in a simpler PAL patch, I've uploaded it to Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GS7fJ9OpQDYms3d1JVYVU0TU0/view?usp=sharing

Top Bottom