• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little SNES ROM Hacks

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
We're not sure yet, but it should be a similar interface to hakchi2 when it's done, which was pretty straightforward.

in-hakchi2-v207-de-clusterm-disponible-1.png
Is there some kind of guide? I saw a YouTube where the guy had to take it apart... Seems tough.

BriGuy

Is there some kind of guide? I saw a YouTube where the guy had to take it apart... Seems tough.
You plug the USB connector into a computer and turn the console on. That's pretty much the gist of it, no disassembly required. The program does everything else.

I higly recommend Hyper Metroid. It's a complete romhack for Super Metroid that does NOT require Speedrun skills (tho if you have, you'll be able to sequence break).

It's a bit hard but not that much. It's very close to Fusion & Zero Mission with handling, adds some optional moves to Samus, a brand new mechanic to access Tourian, and even an alternative opening story !

It's my favorite Super Metroid romhack and the best one, in my opinion.

http://www.hyper.metroidconstruction.com/

PS :
And the escape... oh my god.

for potential SNES classic hacks, do you want headered or unheadered or does it matter?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
You plug the USB connector into a computer and turn the console on. That's pretty much the gist of it, no disassembly required. The program does everything else.
Oh wow... That's crazy easy. Guess I'll have to drop a few games on! I am excited now even more!

Lafazar

I'm hoping to be able to play through Super Metroid with the ”fixed" controls from the GBA games. I remember hating having to constantly keep track of what I had selected, and having power bombs be an option still drives me nuts. I recently played through Zero Mission and Fusion in preparation for Super and it just feels right.

This is the hack you want: "Control Freak"
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/405/

Description:

This small hack only changes the control setup for the game, to something closer to the newer GBA Metroid games. The opening Options menus have been altered to show the new controls for the game. Item pickup messages and Japanese text have not been altered however.

Control Changes

• Run is now toggleable between Run and Walk.
  • Moonwalk has been deleted, and the setting is now used to toggle Auto Run.
  • Aim Up is now the only aim button, ‘Aimlock'. Holding it will make Samus aim at a certain angle, and aim higher or lower if you tap up or down.
  • Samus also has the ability to run and aim straight up at the same time now.
  • Select Item is still used to select missiles, super missiles, power bombs, or the grapple beam. It no longer selects X-ray, which now has its own button. Items that are empty can be selected, but of course will not be used. Beams can still be used at any time, even when missiles and super missiles are selected.
  • Item cancel has also been removed, as it now activates the x-ray scope.
  • Aim Down has become Brandish, which, when held, will toggle between Beams and the item currently selected. This is somewhat... abusable.
  • Smile Beams can be charged and remain charged while you fire missiles, but you still have to wait for cooldown till you can release a charged shot, or else you'll just waste your charge.
  • Powerbomb attacks are also now easy to control, just tap Brandish when you want to trigger them.
  • Spinjump controls have also been improved a bit - Walljumping should be a bit easier on a d-pad, and Samus will fire in the direction you're pressing instead of just forward, if you press fire.
  • The controls are configurable to ANY combination. Aim is not limited to L and R.

EDIT: Or this one: "Super Metroid: GBA Style!"
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3211/

Description:

Super Metroid: GBA Style! is a hack of Super Metroid which main goal was to be able to combine the Project Base and Control Freak hacks into a single, fully functional hack. Additionally, this hack aims to make the gameplay experience of Super Metroid as closely as possible to that to Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion in both controls and physics.

From those two, almost all of the changes have been carried over from their respective base projects:

• Missile doors now require only 1 missile shot to be opened like in Zero Mission / Fusion, instead of the original 5 from Super Metroid.

From Control Freak:

<See above>

From Project Base:

• General movement is less inhibited, with many new tricks made possible
  • Heavier physics to closely resemble that of the GBA games
  • Faster elevators, doors, room transitions and item-collection sequences
  • Bug fixes and polish applied whenever possible
  • RESPIN &#8211; press jump at any time during a normal fall to resume spinning
  • BOMB SKIP &#8211; hold down to avoid bomb jumping
  • QUICK MORPH &#8211; hold X-Ray + press down to instantly morph while in air.
  • DEMORPH JUMP &#8211; until Spring Ball is equipped, holding run allows spin-jumping straight out of ball form
  • SPEED BALL &#8211; with Spring Ball equipped, Samus gains the ability to run at full speed as a ball
  • SPIN FALL &#8211; hold jump as you fall from a ledge to flip automatically
  • Beam travelling and firing speeds adjusted, auto-fire speed increased
  • Charge beam draws energy and ammo drops from enemies toward you, also charges slightly faster
  • Speed Booster has become a major power-up with several huge limitations removed
  • Horizontal shinesparks can be exited into a full-speed run when Samus touches a slope
  • Space Jump no longer stops working after you've fallen too far
  • Missiles and super missiles can be fired faster
  • Super missiles can be fired straight down while in the air to propel Samus upward
  • X-Ray Scope speed increased
  • Bomb timer shortened
  • Underwater wall jumping and bomb jumping enabled
  • Running speed no longer resets after jumping or falling
Additionally, sylandro made new ASM code:

• New HUD changes: Missiles selected will be highlighted in GREEN. If you press Select, Super Missiles will be in GREEN while normal missiles will appear in grey. Pressing Select again will highlight the Grapple Beam in GREEN. Only when the Brandish button is pressed, the selected item will change its icon to YELLOW.
  • The same applies for Power Bombs, they will always be highlighted in green, and only when Brandish is selected they will be YELLOW.
  • New Run code: sylandro made a new Run ASM code to make the Running of Samus much more similar to that of Zero Mission and Fusion. If you have Auto-Run enabled, Samus will now wait some time until she starts gaining up speed into Boost, similar to the following entries on the franchise.

GBA metroid controls are disgusting.

That anime Metroid rom hack is also disgusting.

Disgusting.

You don't have to use it, but I appreciate there is an option for all of this crazy stuff.

Robin64

Final Fantasy III/VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition
If you want a patch to change FFIII to FFVI, this is probably the one to go for. It compiles a load of bug fixes, removes any censoring, lengthens spell names so we can have Firaga and co back, puts the item names back how they should be (no more Tonics), adds the class name back for each character, and generally tidies up the script a bit more thanks to some additional room

Now this is Final Fantasy VI: Woolsey Uncensored Edition. The goal was to make the SNES version uncut and to clean up the script but keep the nuance used in the original script. The Woolsey script is used as a base, and went line for line looking at the FFVI Advance, RPGOne, and Lina Darkstar scripts to do this. Also used was various tools and patches to uncensor the graphics, restore Character Class names, extend spell names, rename monsters and items, and make hopefully the version of Final Fantasy VI that everyone will play.

Any bug fixes or additions that were used were chosen not for any balance changes, but to fix persistent issues in the game, as to not change the experience of the original too much.

Starting with Version 1.6, there are two patches. The first is the initial patch. The second has many various bug fixes explained in the readme. Both are complete patches to be applied to a clean, unheadered ROM. There is no need to apply one on top of another.

Starting with version 1.90, included is an optional Add-Ons Patch. This includes a customized Music Player and the Blitz names in the menu. Once again these are complete patches and do not need to be patched on top of another pre-patched ROM. This uses modified code to get the Music Player to work. Additional bugfixes and add-ons might not work with this. Please refer to the additional patches read-me for details.

If you want a patch to change FFIII to FFVI, this is probably the tne to go for. It compiles a load of bug fixes, removes any censoring, lengthens spell names so we can have Firaga and co back, puts the item names back how they should be (no more Tonics), adds the class name back for each character, and generally tidies up the script a bit more thanks to some additional room

Is there a similarly high quality patch for II/IV? The original translation for II is roughhhh

Jazzem

If you want a patch to change FFIII to FFVI, this is probably the one to go for. It compiles a load of bug fixes, removes any censoring, lengthens spell names so we can have Firaga and co back, puts the item names back how they should be (no more Tonics), adds the class name back for each character, and generally tidies up the script a bit more thanks to some additional room

I can vouch for this being excellent, was so glad I settled on this being my first way to play FFVI.

Robin64

Perfect!

How did adding patches to the native ROMs on the NES Classic work anyway? Do you need to add a new room entirely or can the patch just be added to the one already on the system?

Basically, the ROMs displayed after you apply a custom firmware to a Classic are all copies. The original ROMs that came with the system are locked away in a read only area, so the custom firmware copies them to a new writeable area and hides the read-only bit out of sight.

You can then do whatever you want with those copies, be it add an extra version of the game or overwrite it entirely.

There was an option to turn off the epilepsy feature in the nes mini through hakchi2 though, so presumably it'll make a reappearance when cluster has the updated version ready.

This is amazing news, I HATE the anti-seizure changes to some of these games.

Basically, the ROMs displayed after you apply a custom firmware to a Classic are all copies. The original ROMs that came with the system are locked away in a read only area, so the custom firmware copies them to a new writeable area and hides the read-only bit out of sight.

You can then do whatever you want with those copies, be it add an extra version of the game or overwrite it entirely.

Sounds idiot-proof! Perfect for me!

I don't have the link right now, but I saw something on romhacking for Secret of Mana, about fixing fonts. It seemed useful. The standard font in the game makes the letters a little bit too much apart from each other. It makes reading require effort, when it shouldn't.

Robin64

I don't have the link right now, but I saw something on romhacking for Secret of Mana, about fixing fonts. It seemed useful. The standard font in the game makes the letters a little bit too much apart from each other. It makes reading require effort, when it shouldn't.

Third link in my master list. :)

It's a must have, though I wish someone would make a hack for Secret of Mana that gives a solid background to the text windows, I don't like that you have to have a pattern.

eshock

Namingway edition is great, but if you're one of the people setting up your snes classic for your younger siblings or children or whatever, I would recommend Project II over it.

Similar approach to translation/QOL fixes, but it keeps the easytype difficulty.

Robin64

A remake/sequel of one of my favourites puzzle games of the NES?! :D Is there a legal way to get the game?

I honestly don't know. It was sold via kiosks in Japan, where users would flash it to a blank SNES cart. I'm not sure what the legalities/moralities of downloading a ROM in that case are.

RRockman

Banned
A remake/sequel of one of my favourites puzzle games of the NES?! :D Is there a legal way to get the game?

It looks like either you pay an large sum to a unrelated party for the physical on ebay or buy it on a JPN nintendo account on Wii U.

For legal means anyway.

Is there a version of the Earthbound with New Controls patch that adds a run button or something? I played a bit of Mother 1 before Earthbound and I found the latter's movement to be extremely slow in comparison to the former.

Really want to dive into FF6 but I played a little bit and the translation is trash tier bullshit. Lmao “Fenix” Down??? Hope the mod tool comes out sooner rather then later

Robin64

Is there a version of the Earthbound with New Controls patch that adds a run button or something? I played a bit of Mother 1 before Earthbound and I found the latter's movement to be extremely slow in comparison to the former.

EarthBound has the Skip Sandwich and Skip Sandwich DX items to increase walking speed, as well as a bicycle.

Robin64

I know, but neither skip items last that long and the bicycle's increase in speed is marginal at best.

There's a run button patch on this page:

https://starmen.net/pkhack/hacks/technical/

It uses the Y button, so I have no idea how it will behave with the new controls patch. Maybe applying new controls then the run button patch will make it so that Y is run while the rest is the new control stuff. But honestly.. no clue.

I honestly don't know. It was sold via kiosks in Japan, where users would flash it to a blank SNES cart. I'm not sure what the legalities/moralities of downloading a ROM in that case are.

I suppose you could seek out one of the Nintendo Power flashcarts with the game still on it, right?

Lafazar

All those changes, and none of them are being able to grab ledges. Why?

I assume this would be quite difficult, since it not only requires completely new game logic but also new sprites, because it never was part of Super Metroid. Most hacks (including this one) just tweak or modify what's already there. Adding something completely new is very very difficult, because it has to be done in assembler which tends to break everything if you simply insert stuff where there was nothing before.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Playing through Terranigma right now with the NTSC patch. Great stuff. I'm surprised, though, that there hasn't been a patch created that removes the sound effect that plays when you bump into a wall (or anything else, for that matter...)

Playing through Terranigma right now with the NTSC patch. Great stuff. I'm surprised, though, that there hasn't been a patch created that removes the sound effect that plays when you bump into a wall (or anything else, for that matter...)

Did u get this working on the SNES Classic edition? Robin64 was having trouble in the other thread.

Top Bottom