• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little SNES ROM Hacks

cheez124

Okay, one more for some Zelda love: A Link to the Past: Redux, or ALttP DX if you want less changes since Redux is an expanded version of DX. Gameplay tweaks, translation tweaks, restores some stuff and changes some of the sprites to make them look more like the official artwork. Really good stuff, especially if you've already played a ton of ALttP and want to change things up a little.
Link's pink hair in ALTTP always bugged me way too much, gonna have to give these a try

SOLDIER

We're not sure yet, but it should be a similar interface to hakchi2 when it's done, which was pretty straightforward.

in-hakchi2-v207-de-clusterm-disponible-1.png

How many games could be added at a time, and did you have to keep the concole connected to the PC to play the games?

Joqu

Shin Megami Tensei Automap Enhancement

This is a hack for Shin Megami Tensei that lets you pull up the map via L/R (like in SMT2), rather than having to go through a menu to get to it. Works on the translation patch and the vanilla ROM (and the translation patch bugfix).

Oooh, I played the iOS version of SMT1 so I never had buttons in the first place for that one, but a patch that makes it behave like 2 sounds really helpful. Thanks.

Link's pink hair in ALTTP always bugged me way too much, gonna have to give these a try

It's a good palette change too, there are some ugly ones out there, but the one in that patch is a dirty blonde just like in the art. <3

Dartastic

We're not sure yet, but it should be a similar interface to hakchi2 when it's done, which was pretty straightforward.

in-hakchi2-v207-de-clusterm-disponible-1.png
How many games could the NES Classic actually hold when all was said and done? I'm hoping I can get at least another 10 or 15 games on the SNES Classic.

Chrono Trigger, Aladdin, Turtles in Time, Maximum Carnage, Donkey Kong Country 2, Final Fight, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, NBA Jam TE, and maybe a few others. Am I missing any other blatant ones?

How many games could the NES Classic actually hold when all was said and done? I'm hoping I can get at least another 10 or 15 games on the SNES Classic.

Chrono Trigger, Aladdin, Turtles in Time, Maximum Carnage, Donkey Kong Country 2, Final Fight, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, NBA Jam TE, and maybe a few others. Am I missing any other blatant ones?

The NES classic had 512 MB worth of storage, so more than enough room for the entire domestic NES library ifI'm not mistaken. SNES games are bigger, but that's still more than enough space to add 10 more games.

I think there was about 500mb to play with, so given the size of the snes games you wont be able to load as many.

Super Famicom has the best boxart of any console ever.

I suspect I won't end up using any SNES boxart.

I was wondering about this earlier as Super Famicom box art scans seem to be really low quality for a lot of games. But I'm totally with you on wanting everything to be based on the Japanese art regardless of the region I will actually play.

Robin64

is it true that not all games are 100% compatible?

On the NES Mini, using pure NES Mini software mode, yeah. A lot of NES games had special mappers, and the NES Mini didn't support them all.

There were many ways round it. Some people installed other emulators, and some games had patches to convert them to a mapper the NES Mini supported.

I would expect far less problems with the SNES one, though. I expect some games that won't work will be Star Ocean, Far East of Eden Zero, and Street Fighter Alpha 2.

I was wondering about this earlier as Super Famicom box art scans seem to be really low quality for a lot of games. But I'm totally with you on wanting everything to be based on the Japanese art regardless of the region I will actually play.

Didn't byuu get a ton (if not all) of those scanned a few years back?

Maybe I imagined it, as there are loads missing at snes central.

Didn't byuu get a ton (if not all) of those scanned a few years back?

Maybe I imagined it, as there are loads missing at snes central.

He did the North American fullset which are up on Snes Central. He sold them to buy a Japanese set but don't think he has plans to do the same with them which is a shame.

Am currently downloading a set from emumovies right now, will see how they look. With the snes classic only being 720p they shouldnt need to be too high a resolution to look ok hopefully.

Reminds me I really need to get a copy of the bitmap books super famicom box art collection...

Bakkus

As far as I know that will speed up everything, including the music. But don't quote me on that, my experience with it is limited.

I just tested it out, since I own a PAL Terranigma cart including a modded PAL SNES with a hz switch. The music stays at the same authentic speed regardless of what Hz you are at. As for the gameplay? Well, I first walked a select distance before an object stopped me at 60hz. Took around 6.8 seconds. Then I tried again the same distance at 50hz, took approx 8.0 seconds.

In other words. A PAL Terranigma becomes 60hz if you play it on a modded SNES with no negative side effects! At least to my anecdote. If anyone knows more about this, then please tell.

TaurezAG

Earthbound New Controls

This is a QoL hack for Earthbound. I saves you the tedium of having to go through the menu just to interact. It remaps the buttons so that you can just press A to interact with anything in front of you. It also removes the "No problem here." message if you interact with something non-interactable.

Robin64

Earthbound New Controls

This is a QoL hack for Earthbound. I saves you the tedium of having to go through the menu just to interact. It remaps the buttons so that you can just press A to interact with anything in front of you. It also removes the "No problem here." message if you interact with something non-interactable.

Ah, perfect. Earthbound was great but the interaction was definitely a bit tedious at times. This one is a must!

Nice thread but I find the critics and complains about Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts "Capcom sucks at programming" unfair. The game was almost a launch title on US/EUR, nobody really knows how to program on the SFC at the time. In that case even Konami sucks with Gradius III.

sonto340

I’m hoping to be able to play through Super Metroid with the “fixed” controls from the GBA games. I remember hating having to constantly keep track of what I had selected, and having power bombs be an option still drives me nuts. I recently played through Zero Mission and Fusion in preparation for Super and it just feels right.

I managed to preorder an SFC mini. I hope I can get an English menu into it though and swap out the RPGs with English language ones. Maybe add Earthbound too

Jubern

This is a great thread.

I might pick up the FFVI et IV patches. The namingway version seems like a great way to play FFIV Snes (restored content and translations fixes right?)

byuu

He did the North American fullset which are up on Snes Central. He sold them to buy a Japanese set but don't think he has plans to do the same with them which is a shame.

My intention is to scan the Japanese boxes too, I just don't know when/if I'll have the 12+ months required to scan 1500 boxes at 600 DPI resolution :|

It fixes an error that should've stared Nintendo in the face. I noticed the brick-break-bug as soon as I played that game on the first day.

They even burned a Wii disc with primarily just that SNES ROM and emulator on it, and still didn't fix the bug. They threw in a music sampler CD, a booklet, and charged $29.99 for the lot.

Neith

Banned
It fixes an error that should've stared Nintendo in the face. I noticed the brick-break-bug as soon as I played that game on the first day.

Indeed, as soon as I started playing I was like what the hell the movement is different. And then I had to go and redo it a couple times to see why it felt so awful.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They even burned a Wii disc with primarily just that SNES ROM and emulator on it, and still didn't fix the bug. They threw in a music sampler CD, a booklet, and charged $29.99 for the lot.

Unless there's a special need, they don't fix "bugs" in their ROMs.

Also, for those who played All-Stars first, it was never a problem.

What if you own the PAL cart and a modded SNES with a 50/60 hz switch? Doesn't that turn it into 60 hz?

As far as I know that will speed up everything, including the music. But don't quote me on that, my experience with it is limited.

Games back then were slowed down on everything for PAL, so running the music at 60hz will run it "faster" but at the intentional speed. <--------WRONG, check post beneath mine.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
With the SNES, the music chip was separate, so unlike the Mega Drive, SNES PAL games played the music at the intended speed even if the game itself ran slower.

Joqu

This is a great thread.

I might pick up the FFVI et IV patches. The namingway version seems like a great way to play FFIV Snes (restored content and translations fixes right?)

I don't think the Namingway translation changes are as big as the ones in the VI mod, I might be wrong, but yeah, it has some fixes. Restored content is a definite yes.

There is a small hack you can do to make the jump in Mario brothers like normal in the All Stars version on SNES.

Referencing this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456754

What do people think about this one? I use it atm.

I talked about it in an earlier post! It's a must to me for sure.

If it works the same as the NES Mini that looks easy enough, but I'm wondering, how big of a risk is there of bricking the device? I might not bother if it will cost me my SNES Mini :p

Robin64

If it works the same as the NES Mini that looks easy enough, but I'm wondering, how big of a risk is there of bricking the device? I might not bother if it will cost me my SNES Mini :p

Assuming the same guy makes the new app, bricking will be impossible. Using the NES version you are able to fix a brick by flashing the original dump back to the machine.

Along with Top Gear 3000 and Megaman X2 / X3. Not too much too worry about really af far as compatibility goes.

I’m holding out hope since the CX4 chip has been emulated by Nintendo and these games are available on VC. The emulator in the SNES Classic is probably an evolution of the VC emulator and so they may have kept compatiblility in the code.

Robin64

I'm holding out hope since the CX4 chip has been emulated by Nintendo and these games are available on VC. The emulator in the SNES Classic is probably an evolution of the VC emulator and so they may have kept compatiblility in the code.

They may have, though also keep in mind that the NES Mini didn't have anything in it it didn't need. And I mean that to the extreme, it didn't even have stuff like the number 4 in its font because no game on there needed it.

Blues1990

Am currently downloading a set from emumovies right now, will see how they look. With the snes classic only being 720p they shouldnt need to be too high a resolution to look ok hopefully.

Reminds me I really need to get a copy of the bitmap books super famicom box art collection...

Mind if you can PM a link?

They may have, though also keep in mind that the NES Mini didn't have anything in it it didn't need. And I mean that to the extreme, it didn't even have stuff like the number 4 in its font because no game on there needed it.

That seems... excessive. Guess we will have to wait for the hacks to come out. If I can’t have X2 and X3 on this it will significantly lower my interest.

Leynos

Ooh, those Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, and Contra 3 hacks sound interesting. I am completely new to modifying ROMs, and have no idea what headers, etc. are. Where should I look?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Here are some more European only SNES games that have an NTSC patch you should apply before popping them on to a SNES Mini.

Pop'n TwinBee
Pop'n TwinBee - Rainbow Bell Adventures
The Firemen

Funny, I was thinking of Rainbow Bell Adventures earlier today.

Searching I see there's also an English patch translation of the Japanese version.

Now, some may wonder why you need a translation patch for a game already in English. Well that's because the European version removed a lot of features.

Top Bottom