• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little SNES ROM Hacks

Unless there's a special need, they don't fix "bugs" in their ROMs.

Also, for those who played All-Stars first, it was never a problem.

Actually they do, several VC releases got patched, for all sorts of reasons. Some to fix bugs, or change text, others to limit flashing colors. They even dinked with Zelda's intro:

wFkCQ8S.png
sJXskzY.png

And it's really easy to tell that the flow isn't as natural with the "vacuum" effect. It doesn't matter what you played first. Saying "I played Sonic Genesis on GBA, so I think standing on the air is fine" doesn't mean it isn't a mistake, or poor developer choice.

IISANDERII

The save state and instant load features allowed me to complete every single stage in Super Mario World. Otherwise I would've lost patience with loading, restarts, etc.

The fast forward option was also great for RPG's.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Actually they do, several VC releases got patched, for all sorts of reasons. Some to fix bugs, or change text, others to limit flashing colors. They even dinked with Zelda's intro:

wFkCQ8S.png
sJXskzY.png

And it's really easy to tell that the flow isn't as natural with the "vacuum" effect. It doesn't matter what you played first. Saying "I played Sonic Genesis on GBA, so I think standing on the air is fine" doesn't mean it isn't a mistake, or poor developer choice.

That's why I didn't say they never change roms. Also, the LoZ ROM was edited for the GBA release rather than VC. They tweaked other titles too for those releases, like Metroid.

I never found anything wrong with SMB in SMAS when I was a kid. Comparing it to an actually broken port is not comparing like with like.

"Gonna keep shifting until I'm right", huh.

That's why I didn't say they never change roms. Also, the LoZ ROM was edited for the GBA release rather than VC. They tweaked other titles too for those releases, like Metroid.

Ugh. Yes, they initially edited it for the GameCube and GBA, but it's also the version they used on the VC, all the way through to the Wii U. (The 3DS release reverts back.)

And that was just an example. There's plenty of other cases where they patched VC titles, explicitly for the VC service. Some of which were bugs. Go Google it FFS.

Are you now going to say "Patches applied at runtime don't count as changing ROMs"? (Keeping in mind I referred to patching in the first place.)

I never found anything wrong with SMB in SMAS when I was a kid. Comparing it to an actually broken port is not comparing like with like.

It's nice that you didn't find anything wrong with it as a kid, having no prior experience with the original Super Mario Bros. As an adult, I hope you know better by now.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Terranigma - NTSC Patch
Obviously Terranigma only came out in Japan and Europe, and if you want to play in English you do not want to dump your European ROM in to a 60Hz emulator like the SNES Classic is. This simple patch changes it to work at 60Hz and thus 60fps.

Holy shit. I haven't ever been able to stomach more than 10 minutes of Terranigma (despite being crazy about Illusion of Gaia as a kid) because of the 50hz lagginess, but this patch (along with the font update patch) is a total game changer. Thanks!

There should be another Super Mario RPG hack, but don't go with Super Mario Revolution. The changes for stats and the new boss is pretty poor. The battles become a bit of a chore due to high HP.

alf717

I want to dump my games to use on this. Wonder if CX4 titles will work. More importantly how do you dump SNES games? Wanted to this for a long time now but can't find the right tools.

Robin64

Holy shit. I haven't ever been able to stomach more than 10 minutes of Terranigma (despite being crazy about Illusion of Gaia as a kid) because of the 50hz lagginess, but this patch (along with the font update patch) is a total game changer. Thanks!

The problem with the font update patch is that it also affects the position of Yomi in the inventory box, so he'll be floating over the wrong things but selecting what the text says. You might be okay with it, I wasn't.

I want to dump my games to use on this. Wonder if CX4 titles will work. More importantly how do you dump SNES games? Wanted to this for a long time now but can't find the right tools.

We have an awesome thread here for info on how to rip games for basically every system, SNES included.

aidan

The problem with the font update patch is that it also affects the position of Yomi in the inventory box, so he'll be floating over the wrong things but selecting what the text says. You might be okay with it, I wasn't.

Yeah, I noticed this immediately when I went to change some settings from within the menu. The original font (or, really, any wide monospace font from the 16-bit era) drives me crazy, so it's an easy tradeoff for me over the long term. I'm surprised, though, that there hasn't been a revision of the patch that addresses this.

Is there a patch to restore the PSI Rockin' effects from the SNES version of Earthbound? The effects were toned down for the VC release due to its potential to cause seizures.

JackDT

I'd love to see a 60 FPS Starfox hack that keeps the game speed the same by increasing clockspeed in an emulator by adjusting the game loops.

They may have, though also keep in mind that the NES Mini didn't have anything in it it didn't need. And I mean that to the extreme, it didn't even have stuff like the number 4 in its font because no game on there needed it.

How does that even work though, a lot of the games have score keepers or timers and that would need the number 4. Like if you collected 4 coins in Super Mario Bros it would say it up on the top.

Or am I taking you too literally in your example and it's not actually the number 4 but like just stuff like ~ or @ that no games used?

Is there a patch to restore the PSI Rockin' effects from the SNES version of Earthbound? The effects were toned down for the VC release due to its potential to cause seizures.

I don't think that's possible because seizure reduction is a built-in automated on-the-fly process handled by the emulator itself. It's not the result of a game getting patched as far as I know.

Foffy

Banned
I personally prefer the Japanese damage system to the Super Mario Bros 3 remake in Super Mario All-Stars so that it's consistent with sequels like Super Mario World.

I always thought World was a step down from 3 because you'd always be downgraded to Lil' Mario when hurt, but never did I know that such a feature was always the case in a good deal of the games until Super Mario Land 2 established SMB3's international damage system (Powerup>Super>Lil) for the entire world.

World is so ridiculously easy it never mattered though.

This would be a pretty big change for a fair amount of people I suspect. Might give it a go.

If it's like the nes mini, that's probably being done by the emulator. There was an option to turn off the epilepsy feature in the nes mini through hakchi2 though, so presumably it'll make a reappearance when cluster has the updated version ready.

Robin64

How does that even work though, a lot of the games have score keepers or timers and that would need the number 4. Like if you collected 4 coins in Super Mario Bros it would say it up on the top.

Or am I taking you too literally in your example and it's not actually the number 4 but like just stuff like ~ or @ that no games used?

Only talking about the NES Mini's frontend here. Everything in-game is as it was with the original ROM, of course. But if you uploaded Mega Man 4 to the NES Mini, it would display "Mega Man ". This has since been fixed with the hacking tools, mind.

Not exactly SNES related, but does anyone have any experience with the GBA FF hacks that add the SNES music? Any issues?

I wanna play through FFV.

aidan

What in the wha?

Edit: I had no clue about this ROM hack, mother of god. I'm sure someone will eventually translate it into English, even if it takes a few years or decades. :D

I highly recommend Shouta's stream—he plays through this mod, commenting on the changes, and translating along the way.

Love the Aerith Terra and Beatrice Celes.

Since this thread went that way and I can ask without fear of derailing, anyone has pics of the rest of the costumes?

ozhenson

Are there patches available for SNES sports games with updated teams and rosters? I'd love some NHL94 with today's teams.

Or is that just crazy talk?

Top Bottom