• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little SNES ROM Hacks

SOLDIER

Still wondering what the best hack there is for Chrono Trigger. There's a few that talk about fixing bugs and one that supposedly adds missing content. Any of these worth a look?

The Ted Woosely patch for FFVI also seems to partially use the GBA translation. Is there any that uses it in its entirety like the FFV patch?

Also, does the font patch for Secret of Mana also include the best fan translation?

Robin64

Honestly, Chrono Trigger is already pretty much perfect in its base state. Though if you're a real stickler for minor errors, this is the one to apply.

Lutherian

Still wondering what the best hack there is for Chrono Trigger. There's a few that talk about fixing bugs and one that supposedly adds missing content. Any of these worth a look?

The Ted Woosely patch for FFVI also seems to partially use the GBA translation. Is there any that uses it in its entirety like the FFV patch?

Also, does the font patch for Secret of Mana also include the best fan translation?

Well, look what arrived yesterday about Chrono Trigger ?

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3691/

It restores cut content, allow autowalk (B is now used for walk) and other nice things). I'm trying it on the SNES Mini in a few minutes.

Honestly, Chrono Trigger is already pretty much perfect in its base state. Though if you're a real stickler for minor errors, this is the one to apply.

Yup. Most of the Chrono Trigger hacking community, back when it actually existed as a community, preferred to focus on fangame hacks (two were completed: Chrono Trigger Coliseum and my own Chrono Trigger: Prophet's Guile) rather than superficial stuff.

It restores cut content, allow autowalk (B is now used for walk) and other nice things). I'm trying it on the SNES Mini in a few minutes.

Apparently it does a lot more than restore cut content, they developed brand new content for it, like extra dungeons, the ability to explore all of the Zeal islands, and partially visit 1999. Looking very nice, I think I'll give it a try too, thanks!

Lutherian

Apparently it does a lot more than restore cut content, they developed brand new content for it, like extra dungeons, the ability to explore all of the Zeal islands, and partially visit 1999. Looking very nice, I think I'll give it a try too, thanks!

There's some cool stuff there, but I remember from the thread the guy was going to do stuff like add a reachable 1999, which I was a bit lukewarm on.

Let us know how it is!

I will :).

But first, I have a little question for @Robin64 :

I have downloaded the "superhakchi" you provided pages ago. If I want to try a more recent version of hakchi (like the RC4 or RC5), can I just overwritten what the zip contains on the superhakchi folder ?

I tried to do a separate folder but then the official RC4 and RC5 think that I never dumped nor flashed the kernel (and I did with your superhakchi).

Thanks in advance !

Lutherian

Yeah, just copy the new files over the old ones. No need to make new folders.

Great !

PS : Thanks for all your hard work !

PPS : Just tried Super Turrican 2 (USA) and it runs flawlessly, even the little cinematics.
The Chrono Trigger Plus hack (and all its addons) EDIT : sadly doesn't really works : Crono can't exit his room.

Lutherian

By the way, is there any solution for Secret of Mana to not look like a blurry mess ? I can't find the link to hakchi 2.020 RC5 to try with the Retroarch module and I don't know if the RC4 solved the issue.

Thanks in advance.

jayr281

I got a lot of these hacks working on my SNES mini...the only one I'm having issues with is the LTTP Redux. Anyone have any luck?

Robin64

By the way, is there any solution for Secret of Mana to not look like a blurry mess ? I can't find the link to hakchi 2.020 RC5 to try with the Retroarch module and I don't know if the RC4 solved the issue.

Thanks in advance.

It hasn't been solved yet I'm afraid. We can't figure out the hi-res mode flag. :(

SOLDIER

That's the one I mentioned in a separate thread.

I couldn't get it to work right: I couldn't leave Crono's room at the start.

This could be because I didn't use the right ROM (this header vs non-headered stuff is a pain) or because I tried to apply the bugfix patches as well. I'll try again, but I would also like to read your feedback.

It hasn't been solved yet I'm afraid. We can't figure out the hi-res mode flag. :(

I thought you could keep the original games on there untouched... Why would they not work as before just because you’re adding other games? If you need to edit SoM yourself in any way, Ithought that you could FTP into the console, grab the included games’ folders to then add them back with unchanged ROMs but with different art if you wanted.

Robin64

I thought you could keep the original games on there untouched... Why would they not work as before just because you’re adding other games? If you need to edit SoM yourself in any way, Ithought that you could FTP into the console, grab the included games’ folders to then add them back with unchanged ROMs but with different art if you wanted.

The problem is, if you get SoM off there and re-add it with a patch applied (such as a retranslation), it loses its hi-resness.

The problem is, if you get SoM off there and re-add it with a patch applied (such as a retranslation), it loses its hi-resness.

Gotcha. Really surprised they can’t figure this out. No one has done a diff on the included ROM versus a manually added one to isolate the possible bits used for a high res flag?

Robin64

Gotcha. Really surprised they can't figure this out. No one has done a diff on the included ROM versus a manually added one to isolate the possible bits used for a high res flag?

It doesn't seem to be a flag within the ROM, but something in the clover source itself that looks for the ROM and applies it. We've altered every single byte in the new headers and footers, and nothing changed it. So that's going to be much harder to get to.

I should add for anyone patching for the first time, if you have a choice between a ips and a bps file, always choose the bps, because beat will tell you when you're trying to patch a rom that is incompatible with the patch. ips tools will quite merrily let you patch anything, so you can end up with a rom that doesn't work, or a rom that APPEARS to work until later.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Will that keep my save file intact though? I'm not far, but I'd rather not start over if I don't have to.,

Nope, different ROM, different save file. (There's not gonna be any way to patch the existing ROM anyway, and even if you could, lots of times new ROM patches break save data compatibility cause of the altered code.)

shockdude

Great thread. The FF6 Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition and F-Zero - Tracks Unlocked patches are both fantastic. This is my first time playing FF6, and it's a great experience thus far.

Same here. I tried applying the Chrono Trigger+ patch and I can't leave the room at the beginning of the game. Does anyone have any fixes/ideas? Would be cool to play with all the enhancements.

If anyone is wondering like I was at one point, yes you need your own roms for this.

Also, someone earlier posted this video which does a good job of walking you through what to do step by step. I know nothing about any of this but was able to follow along and get it done quickly. The hardest part was picking what games I wanted on it.

I added 45 additional games (total of 65 or so including ones already there) and still have plenty of room left (I want to say around 100MB left but dont remember right off) to pick and choose some more later.

Looks like most games vary in size from 1-4 megabytes each.

And If you need to open/extract rar files go to https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm and download a trial of winrar. If your roms are in rar format though you can just drag the whole thing into hakchi I believe so dont worry about extracting each rom file.

SOLDIER

Same here. I tried applying the Chrono Trigger+ patch and I can't leave the room at the beginning of the game. Does anyone have any fixes/ideas? Would be cool to play with all the enhancements.

Ditto. Maybe the ROM needs to be headered? I'll try that next.

Edit: Adding a header just made it not work at all.

Seriously, how are people getting this to work?

PMS341

Great thread. The FF6 Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition and F-Zero - Tracks Unlocked patches are both fantastic. This is my first time playing FF6, and it's a great experience thus far.

Are you launching FF6 via the Retroarch module, or the built-in emulator? I seem to get kicked back to the main menu launching from Retroarch, and get a C7 from Canoe. Patched ROM and such.

EDIT: Oops, apologies for the double post.

Robin64

Are you launching FF6 via the Retroarch module, or the built-in emulator? I seem to get kicked back to the main menu launching from Retroarch, and get a C7 from Canoe. Patched ROM and such.

I've just been playing the Woolsey patch from Canoe with no issues. Though, when I had it set to compress, I would get C7. Have you got that on?

PMS341

I've just been playing the Woolsey patch from Canoe with no issues. Though, when I had it set to compress, I would get C7. Have you got that on?

Ah, that could be it actually! Sometimes a simple thing like that messes everything up. I'll check it out.

EDIT: Reapplied the patch to a different ROM and it worked perfectly.

Ditto. Maybe the ROM needs to be headered? I'll try that next.

Edit: Adding a header just made it not work at all.

Seriously, how are people getting this to work?

Try it in the pc version of snes9x before transferring it to your mini.

This is what the patch is looking for:

No-Intro Name: Chrono Trigger (USA) - Headerless
(No-Intro version 20130701-030720)
ROM/File SHA-1: DE5822F4F2F7A55ACB8926D4C0EAA63D5D989312
ROM/File CRC32: 2D206BF7
ROM/File size: 4096kb

PMS341

Try it in the pc version of snes9x before transferring it to your mini.

This is what the patch is looking for:

No-Intro Name: Chrono Trigger (USA) - Headerless
(No-Intro version 20130701-030720)
ROM/File SHA-1: DE5822F4F2F7A55ACB8926D4C0EAA63D5D989312
ROM/File CRC32: 2D206BF7
ROM/File size: 4096kb

Used this exact version, but sadly the issue persists. I can walk down the stairs, at least, but no transition occurs.

thebeeks

Banned
Maybe I'm not reading the readme correctly for FF6 Woolsey. You choose either Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.96).ips or Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.96) + Bug Fixes.ips to patch, and the rest (Opera, Addons) is optional stuff, correct? I've patched with both versions and keep having the game freeze on the very first encounter. Tried on the SNES Classic, SNES Classic using Retroarch, and the Snes9X on the computer, no dice.

Mudo

So to go from superhakchi to RC4/5, I don’t have to flash the kernel again? just hook snes up to PC, browse and overwrite files like drag/drop or is there an exe i have to run that will overwrite things ? Sorry to ask again aim really scared i’m gonna screw this up

Robin64

Maybe I'm not reading the readme correctly for FF6 Woolsey. You choose either Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.96).ips or Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.96) + Bug Fixes.ips to patch, and the rest (Opera, Addons) is optional stuff, correct? I've patched with both versions and keep having the game freeze on the very first encounter. Tried on the SNES Classic, SNES Classic using Retroarch, and the Snes9X on the computer, no dice.

All I applied was the "Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.96) + Bug Fixes.ips" and one of the music addons, and it works fine on the SNES Mini.

Top Bottom