• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIZARD SQUAD is Back. Planning XBL Attack. "Biggest attack yet". [UP: XBL/PSN Down]

Oh really do tell? What knowledge do you have to say this of each infrastructure? You don't know.

The thing with Microsoft is that they have large investments into, and a ton of experience with operating, high-availability infrastructure and systems. They run their own cloud computing platform (Azure), and handle dwarfing loads from client devices running Windows (store, updates, product activation etc.) on a daily basis. They are, and have in the past been, running large-scale operations with hundreds of millions of users (think Hotmail, MSN, Office 365). They have been doing these things for decades, because they are a software and services company. It's hardly a stretch to think that Xbox Live greatly benefits from Microsoft's legacy.

The vast majority of these peeps are likely kids acting out in a world they can't control.

I can wait them out without wishing they get hurt or arrested. They're doing it for attention little more. When the tantrum ends they'll go back to being the reclusive and socially inept people they are. But expect more tantrums as time goes on and nothing changes.

As soon as someone said they got booted from gta on xbox you proclaimed live to be down. Remember?

Thats where you think i got it from ROFL, the xbox status page said unknown and then limited.....Stop making assumptions. Unless you think MS was lying? Maybe you're the one who is flustered as you are jumping to conclusions left and right.

ironcreed

Banned
Man, you guys are warrioring the hell out of this. Both have been and are being affected by this. Let's just concentrate on what matters, which is hoping that this nonsense is brought to a close and that these clowns get stopped.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I just turned on my PS4 for the first time in a couple of days, logged in and downloaded the FC4 update with no issues. I'm now hooking up my brand new Xbone (seriously, I have the best friends in the world) and we'll see what happens. Whatever my experience is, will be the de facto standard for the rest of the thread. Ha!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Time to bring back these classics.

THERIGHTSONY.gif

3Aks9bd.gif

mreddie

Oh great, there are rumors the PSN servers are fried despite the fact some Vita/PS3 can get on.

And fucking newspeople, STOP SAYING IT WAS A HACK!

Special C

Xbox Live has been working for me and all my freinds all day on Xbone. I can't speak to PS4 because I don't know anyone who owns one, but PS3 stuff seems to be working fine.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I just turned on my PS4 for the first time in a couple of days, logged in and downloaded the FC4 update with no issues. I'm now hooking up my brand new Xbone (seriously, I have the best friends in the world) and we'll see what happens. Whatever my experience is, will be the de facto standard for the rest of the thread. Ha!

Xbox live is working for me in Vancouver as of 4pm as I just hooked up my new xbone...going slow though, good luck.

R3TRODYCE

I need new friends...

Just because it's only a DDoS attack doesn't mean the people who did it don't know how to do more.

What I am extremely curious about is the part where they suggested the companies could have much better protection if they spent the money.

Lots of people in here saying "you can't protect against ddos", but I'd really like to read some informed information.

I pay Sony a lot of money for services and products, I expect things to work well. Psn has a terrible history of reliability, for example, and if there are things they /could/ be doing to help their network run more reliably and be better protected then I'd like to think they do all they can.

It doesn't seem like they do, though. I can understand why someone might want to being attention to that if true. I want the money I pay to help improve service, not just line pockets.

Miktar and others have explained this before, but it's buried pages back. It basically becomes an arms race of Corporations spending more and more money to be able to handle the load of a DDoS attack while attackers get larger and larger Botnets to overload the Corporations servers. Botnets being much more inexpensive to generate than defenses are.. eventually Corporations end up pissing away money for security that they don't even need.

Sometimes you can be scary boss.

But deep down I know you're just a big fluffy teddy bear.

Oh great, there are rumors the PSN servers are fried despite the fact some Vita/PS3 can get on.

And fucking newspeople, STOP SAYING IT WAS A HACK!

I wish sometimes social media would just go away. Giving everyone a voice on the internet is like communism. Nice in theory...

TyrantII

Man, you guys are warrioring the hell out of this. Both have been and are being affected by this. Let's just concentrate on what matters, which is hoping that this nonsense is brought to a close and that these clowns get stopped.

You'd think after both networks fell like wet tissue paper to a bunch of internet assholes people would drop the fanboy crap and band together as gamers against said assholes.

You'd think wrong. The more important issue is which shitty tissue paper network was one ply and which two.

I been logged in all day but I can't get far enough into the store to complete my Dragon Age purchase. Eerrrrg!

filly

Here are a few of my (random) thoughts on the matter:

1. The PSN troubleshooting guide (it comes up as a suggestion when you can't connect) doesnt cover the possibility of a DDOS attack despite that fact that that it probably one of the most likely causes of not being able to get online. This page should be dynamic and should check online first to see if there is a DDOS in progress and tell the user to wait instead of giving them hope with a list of things to do that won't work. This would work due to the fact the web browser works even when PSN is being attacked.
2. PSN have given an amazing amount of value with Playstation Plus, not many people are really upset about the progression on making payment mandoatory for online play. Claiming lack of value in any form of PSN is a rubbish argument.
3. Online dependent games that don't need to be online for everything should not make it mandtory. Destiny springs to mind, chests in Unity and so on. If you were to fight, fight for that.
4. If you want to also fight, fight agains games not working on day one.
5. On Neogaf I would like to think that we are all here because we love games, you attack our abillity to play and you attack us. I want this industry to grow, i'm excited when it does and this doesnt help that.
6. For me Chirstmas is for family. Over this period I have seen some the true colours of the kids who have thrown tantrums over this and some lessonsheed to be learnt from this.
7. But, its not thanks to Lizard squad, they have pathetic/non existiant motivations. Infact I think they did have motivation its just that they now know that their motivations were so stupid that some members are now claiming not to have any due to now realising how supid they are.

Mik317

Not going to lie...this thread is super entertaining. I takes my mind off of being unreasonably mad at the entire situation. So thank you guys.

Gestault

Anecdotal status report:

At my time of posting, I was able to log into the browser store for XBL to redeem a gift card. I can't even get the Playstation Store page to load, let alone log in. The communications we have suggest Sony is trying to take steps to make sure this is more than a band-aid, and that's good, but let's not ignore reality.

iJaqpY8FZvm3a.gif

I just finished playing Destiny for a couple hours with no problems (PSN). I didn't even have any problems yesterday! But my brother hasn't been able to log into PSN for the past couple of days. We just want to play Destiny together! I hope everything is back online soon!

What's interesting to me is this is basically following the Lulzsec Timeline:

Hit PSN/XBL
Hit something bigger/make more noise
Get owned

Top Bottom