• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIZARD SQUAD is Back. Planning XBL Attack. "Biggest attack yet". [UP: XBL/PSN Down]

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
As soon as I first saw that Zelda gif I knew it would eventually be turned into a Bish gif.

Fuckin lol.

Nothing works anymore, yesterday I still managed to get into UK Vita store, now everything on Vita and PS4 is down...maybe I should boot up PS3 and check there for the lulz...fucking Lizards!!!

blazeuk

I've been logged on all day so far (UK) but I think PSN has just gone down again. Friends list no longer loads and COD matches keep freezing up and booting me to the menu.

Yep, same thing just happened to me. Have been playing Destiny for a few hours today and just as I was about to start the raid my friends list disappeared and I got booted from the game and can't connect again.

Brofield

fwj
Banned
(Today, 01:48 PM)

ibz5xeuBAQcs0F.gif

Utterly flawless.

*walks back into thread*

?So out of that whole mess what has Anon done to contribute?

Seeing a couple of tweets saying that Anonymous has named and shamed the script kiddies that did this, but I can't find anything concrete to confirm it? Anyone?

FinestSquad, Lulzsec, Anon, LizardSquad, are all likely the same people or groups that overlap, who enjoy messing around by putting on these little "shows". I wouldn't take anything any of them say seriously.

Have any of these "hackers" been arrested yet? If not, why not?

Because it's not easy to find the instigator of a botnet.

If they do this for what they say they do it, I'm ok this this.
Too many corporations don't pay the taxes just for being too big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHBBl5vpZUw
Turns out they were just being pricks for the sake of being pricks.

Who could've guessed it?

Love the interviewer though. He just takes the piss out of them.

They did it for the lulz, nothing else. The people who were interviewed on the BBC are probably not even the instigators, just fans or rubes who agreed to go on and pretend to be LS.

A Spanish site is saying Sony will gift a month of PS+, a month of Music Unlimited and some games. Is this true?

Original Story

Until Sony releases an official press statement via the official channels, believe nothing.

All I want to do is access my cloud saves ffs! I can sign in but trying certain things tells me I need to be signed in, I click 'sign in' and an error occurs. What lesson is learned here? That they have capability of doing this and decide to do it? Wow, so deep, such point.

Anyone can rent time on a botnet and aim it at something. Costs around $100 to get a botnet to attack something for a week. More expensive if you want a larger volume of attack. It's a big problem, getting bigger every day due to how these botnets grow at an exponential rate. There is no lesson here, other than a stark reminder that the internet has a real problem with its infrastructure and nobody seems to care, since it's everyone else's problem.

I thought all of their details, including home addresses and phone numbers were made public by another group?

Fake doxx was fake, and is now being used to harass innocent people with mob justice.

I fail to see why geography would make any difference whatsoever in successfully logging into PSN. It's actually quite comical to see people keep listing their locations as if it matters. Carry on though...

Because PSN doesn't exist in one single place - it is spread out across multiple datacenters/login servers in multiple regions. That's why someone in NY can log in, while someone in Chicago can't - because the NY login mirror is working, while Chicago is down. Some datacenters may double up for multiple regions, while stil having some of their portals down while others are working, so even if two regions overlap on a datacenter, they could get a different end-user experience. It's rudimentary CDN infrastructure. It's comical to see you judge others, while you don't understand how things work yourself.

There are thousands of web services that avoid going down after being DDOSed on major holidays, and this is at least the fourth time that PSN has been knocked out in the last 24 months.

They need to buck up and spend some dough on load balancing.

Sony's third-party DDoS mitigator is Prolexic. I think the fault lay partially with them for not handling the DDoS properly? There may be thousands of webservices that avoid going down after being DDoSed, and yet 1/3 of all downtime incidents in the world are attributed to DDoS attacks (Merril Research/Verisign). There are over 2k DDoS attacks daily (Arbor). So a thousand sites don't go down. Thousands more do. And either way, the size and scope of the DDoS on the 24th would have taken anything down. Even Google can't handle a DDoS of a certain size without throwing up the iron wall. Throwing money at this problem may help somewhat, but there is a limit. You should know that. This is the same group and likely same botnet that took down the NCSoft datacenter, BattleNet, and STEAM for crying out loud.

So in that BBC interview, why did those hackers say this would be easy to prevent if sony and MS just invested a bit more money into their servers ?

If thats true, why havent sony done that?

We should demand them to do just that if its possible to prevent these kind of attacks.

The people on the BBC interview were lying.

I would advise against taking anything said on Twitter too seriously. It's likely just all a big act, a dog and pony show, done for the group's own amusement. It's chan culture: let everyone believe something is happening, while you know it isn't, and that makes you better than the people falling for it.

And I'm done. I've spent over three days in this thread, and watched it loop almost five times through the exact same question/answer sessions, so I think by now I could write a bot to respond to things and nobody would realize. Either way, I don't want to lose another day here. Good luck to everyone, hope the storm passes.

*walks out*

GIF-walking-out-of-an-exam-you-knew-you-failed.gif

KageMaru

You're going to trade in your system because PSN is down? There aren't enough faces to palm.

I know someone who is ready to do the same. He can't use his new ps4 because he can't connect to update. I'd prefer him to have a ps4 than a XBO but I understand why he wouldn't want to deal with this shit on a new present.

Boke1879

You're going to trade in your system because PSN is down? There aren't enough faces to palm.

And why not. It's going on at least 3 or 4 days now. Live has been up and working. People still can't log in on PSN. I pay 50 bucks a year for PSN to work. I can't log in, get to the store. I have games like Destiny, GTA that I can't play online because of this.

Sure you can say it's just an inconvenience but when I see the competition doing better in MANY regards to it's network and OS infrastructure I tend to pay attention.

Bollocks

While I don't blame Sony for what happened obviously. The fact they they are still having trouble getting their network to full capacity is laughable. people should have been able to play last night.

After something like this it can't take days for everything to get up and running.

After 3 days of downtime I was able to log back in to only get booted an hour later....
For real, what the fuck is Sony doing?
It's a fucking simple DDOS attack, once the attacks slow down the system goes back up automatically.
Ideally you won't even need to do anything, but of course it's Sony they most likely created a bigger mess by their counter actions. So we all have to suffer due to Sony's incompetence.

And why not. It's going on at least 3 or 4 days now. Live has been up and working. People still can't log in on PSN. I pay 50 bucks a year for PSN to work. I can't log in, get to the store. I have games like Destiny, GTA that I can't play online because of this.

Sure you can say it's just an inconvenience but when I see the competition doing better in MANY regards to it's network and OS infrastructure I tend to pay attention.

The person I know that swapped for a One talked to a friend who said their kids had been playing since yesterday. That was all she needed to hear to make the swap. It's a game console and they want to play it now. AFAIK, they don't give a shit about exclusives or differences in hardware. They want the 3rd party games to work right now.

So is it safe to assume that Finest Squad is just a trolling offshoot of Lizard Squad?

Yup, the Twitter feed you want to watch is lizardmafia, a lot of fake lizardsquad accounts at the mo

Don't know why they would want to pretend to be lizard squad when they could end up been sat inside a nice cold cell

Otheradam

FFS my PS4 disc drive just broke. Even if I go out and buy a new one today I can't access my saves because the network is down and Sony doesn't let us move saves using usb.

I have backed Sony in the past, but the fact that PSN can't maintain network parity with Xbox Live is starting to get really annoying. I wouldn't sell my PS4 because of this incident, but for the amount of money they are making from new plus subscribers over the last year they should be able to nip these type of situations in the bud quickly, not over the course of a week.

Welp, I got one glorious hour this morning before signing off to shower and now it appears to be down again. For fuck's sake Sony, get your shit together before people start returning consoles.

Lulu23

Man this noon I was playing BF4 and turned of my PS4 thinking I could play again in the evening, now it's offline again. This sucks so much, regardless of who is to blame.

I took my PS4 with me when I went to my family over the holidays until new years eve. That is seven days off work with a lot of time to play (besides a few family meals and gatherings in between), and until now, three of those days I couldn't play.

Makes me kind of regret buying three months of Plus a week ago and BF4 Premium Edition two days ago.

Boke1879

Basically everyone is trying to login at the same time thats why there are still login problems.

what happened has nothing to do with PSN as a service. xbl went down too and is still having troubles on and off.

Live has been about at 90% capacity. People can play online right now. PSN has been DOWN for about 3 days now. Aside from a grace period where they could log in.

So far it seems the attacks aren't even going on anymore. Why is it taking so long for the service to get up and running?

Don't give me the excuse that Live just handles this better. We know that. No excuse for Sony not to handle this just as well. If they can't handle it they need to take some of that PSN money and either hire MS to manage their online network or find someone who can.

So when are we allowed to be mad at Sony for being slow or unable to respond to this? How many days have to pass?

Given all criticism is being defended vigilantly I figure we should ask first. A time and date, if you please.

Horohoro

*walks back into thread*

FinestSquad, Lulzsec, Anon, LizardSquad, are all likely the same people or groups that overlap, who enjoy messing around by putting on these little "shows". I wouldn't take anything any of them say seriously.

Because it's not easy to find the instigator of a botnet.

They did it for the lulz, nothing else. The people who were interviewed on the BBC are probably not even the instigators, just fans or rubes who agreed to go on and pretend to be LS.

Until Sony releases an official press statement via the official channels, believe nothing.

Anyone can rent time on a botnet and aim it at something. Costs around $100 to get a botnet to attack something for a week. More expensive if you want a larger volume of attack. It's a big problem, getting bigger every day due to how these botnets grow at an exponential rate. There is no lesson here, other than a stark reminder that the internet has a real problem with its infrastructure and nobody seems to care, since it's everyone else's problem.

Fake doxx was fake, and is now being used to harass innocent people with mob justice.

Because PSN doesn't exist in one single place - it is spread out across multiple datacenters/login servers in multiple regions. That's why someone in NY can log in, while someone in Chicago can't - because the NY login mirror is working, while Chicago is down. Some datacenters may double up for multiple regions, while stil having some of their portals down while others are working, so even if two regions overlap on a datacenter, they could get a different end-user experience. It's rudimentary CDN infrastructure. It's comical to see you judge others, while you don't understand how things work yourself.

Sony's third-party DDoS mitigator is Prolexic. I think the fault lay partially with them for not handling the DDoS properly? There may be thousands of webservices that avoid going down after being DDoSed, and yet 1/3 of all downtime incidents in the world are attributed to DDoS attacks (Merril Research/Verisign). There are over 2k DDoS attacks daily (Arbor). So a thousand sites don't go down. Thousands more do. And either way, the size and scope of the DDoS on the 24th would have taken anything down. Even Google can't handle a DDoS of a certain size without throwing up the iron wall. Throwing money at this problem may help somewhat, but there is a limit. You should know that. This is the same group and likely same botnet that took down the NCSoft datacenter, BattleNet, and STEAM for crying out loud.

The people on the BBC interview were lying.

I would advise against taking anything said on Twitter too seriously. It's likely just all a big act, a dog and pony show, done for the group's own amusement. It's chan culture: let everyone believe something is happening, while you know it isn't, and that makes you better than the people falling for it.

And I'm done. I've spent over three days in this thread, and watched it loop almost five times through the exact same question/answer sessions, so I think by now I could write a bot to respond to things and nobody would realize. Either way, I don't want to lose another day here. Good luck to everyone, hope the storm passes.

*walks out*

GIF-walking-out-of-an-exam-you-knew-you-failed.gif

I'm glad someone here is on the same page and understanding/guesstimation as I am about all this. Thanks for posting this.

SSReborn

what happened has nothing to do with PSN as a service. xbl went down too and is still having troubles on and off.
I understand what has happened and the fact live went down as well but the fact it's taking them this long to get everything restored when the competition has been working decently for a while now is just horrible they need to step it up.

Massa

So when are we allowed to be mad at Sony for being slow or unable to respond to this? How many days have to pass?

Given all criticism is being defended vigilantly I figure we should ask first. A time and date, if you please.

Why stop at Sony? Let's revolt against the government for not being able to arrest the hackers!

Top Bottom