• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIZARD SQUAD is Back. Planning XBL Attack. "Biggest attack yet". [UP: XBL/PSN Down]

ironcreed

Banned
I LOVE my PS4, but I can't believe people are defending Sony this hard. The bottom line is Sony is providing a paid/subscription online service that is now down for the 4th day running. That in unacceptable. Period. It doesn't matter who is "actually" at fault. It's their service, and Sony is ultimately going to be held responsible for it working or not. The customer is not getting access to what they are paying for and that lands on the provider. And this isn't just a video game industry thing. This is the same in any industry.

Calling a spade a spade.

Raptor

I doubt I'll be re-subbing, either. I am already getting zero value out of it, as opposed to how glorious it was on PS3. I only really need a sub to one of these services anyway, and so far, LIVE has proven to be the better of the two for me from merely a functional standpoint alone. I'll just play my multiplayer on Xbox One and go single player only on PS4. Which, ironically, is the polar opposite of last-gen for me.

I will not resub either, Feb will expire and I will let it expire, Im seriously pissed right now.

Colbert

Banned
XBL was only completely down for about 16 hours on the 25th. (When the attack started)

Then there were some following hours where either purchasing or online MP was not working properly but thats about it.

The problem with PSN is that they are, more than 24 hours after the attack ended, not restored and this is just sad ...

Thats true. I gorgot to mention that I was only unable to log in for about 3 hours. So that is not much compared to the problems Sony seems to have with their network.

Whooter

Huh....at 0430 CST I was able to log in to PSN, download some game patches, and browse the PS store without any issue.

I did not try anything online multiplayer.

Are those two things mutually exclusive in the PSN world?

zlatko

Banned
Chill out, man.

These guys are ruining peoples' vacation...but that doesn't mean that we need to lose civility as a response.

Douchebags who think it's "funny" to ruin other people's time like this are not people that need to be in society.

There is nothing uncivil about putting a bullet between their eyes. At all.

Upinsmoke

I LOVE my PS4, but I can't believe people are defending Sony this hard. The bottom line is Sony is providing a paid/subscription online service that is now down for the 4th day running. That in unacceptable. Period. It doesn't matter who is "actually" at fault. It's their service, and Sony is ultimately going to be held responsible for it working or not. The customer is not getting access to what they are paying for and that lands on the provider. And this isn't just a video game industry thing. This is the same in any industry.

4 days running? . Well since It last worked at about mid day on Xmas day, how's your math holding up?

hodgy100

ugh the insistence that sony / ms need to fix this this ridiculous. they are literally being held by the balls at the moment. and the problem is inherent to the way the internet works unfortunately. we are all just in for the ride till all these services get back up

Whooter

Sky News have a video of one of them. Surely at this point they should be caught?

http://news.sky.com/story/1398435/xbox-hacker-reveals-why-he-attacked-consoles

cegrab-20141227-160816-407-1-480x360.jpg

That really tells me all I need to know about these guys...

Dunlop

ugh the insistence that sony / ms need to fix this this ridiculous. they are literally being held by the balls at the moment. and the problem is inherent to the way the internet works unfortunately. we are all just in for the ride till all these services get back up

so should the attacks not stop, PSN will just be down forever?

Boke1879

I would say no attacks are happening at the moment. Some are able to log in, some aren't and some are getting booted off. Live is pretty much working. I'm sure if I had a ONE I could get on and play right now online.

PSN I can't log in Period. Haven't been able to for days now. I don't blame either company for the attack but after the attack it should not take PSN days to come back online.

hodgy100

Possibly. Sony could change ip's which would stop the issue for a short amount of time, or they could temporarily increase the size of their servers to cope with it, but then ls could jsut grab a larger botnet. But it may be like this till whoever is controlling the botnet runs out of money or gets bored or gets caught :/

Boke1879

...You know I'm not taking issue with that, right?

Even he can't help me now!

Lol I know. You take issue with me saying they need to hire MS. Very reactionary on my part. The point is Sony at this point needs to do everything possible to make sure their service is reliable.

Especially is Playstation is going to be a cornerstone of their business going forward.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Live is much better managed than PSN. This is not an opinion. When the competition outperforms you in this respect it's time to step it up.

I can't say its really that much better.

Xbox One

- I was unable to play Forza Horizon 2 offline because it had to log into my profile and couldn't. I should've tested other games.

- I couldn't update anything.

- system would freeze. I'm guessing this is due to it trying to sign into Live. It locked up on me numerous times to the point where I didn't want to use it at all.

- Error where system wasn't recognizing a disc in the drive. Had to hard reset to fix.

PS4

- I'm able to play my single player games, both physical and digital.

- I'm able to download and install updates for my games despite PSN being down.

So during this whole shitfest my PS4 has gotten use, while my X1 was a doorstop until Live was restored. Glad Live was restored sooner, but when both were down, PS4 wasn't completely KO'd and could at least function without locking up.

At least that's my experience through all this...

Your argument is only valid for a non-paid service. Why are you trying to apply it here?

My argument isn't an argument. I was explaining why a surge of users logging in at one time is not at all "normal traffic." The fact that you missed that tells me that you're more concerned with arguing and blaming than you are with understanding. Which is unfortunate.

Free or Paid, your expectations do not change reality. What you deem valid isn't necessarily an intelligent decision for them to make. So rather than sit here and argue with people over a subject that you're not at all interested in understanding, why not just sell your Sony systems and game on whatever you feel represents your vision best.

dubq

But...You did.
No he didn't. He was explaining how these things are set up regardless of it being a paid service. Your idea that it could possibly be up 100% of the time while 100% of the user base (a number that is always changing) is accessing it isn't exactly realistic. It's a nice thought. But no.

Ghazi

Douchebags who think it's "funny" to ruin other people's time like this are not people that need to be in society.

"Oh no, my videogames don't work. Better shoot the people responsible in the head."

Ridiculous.

lethial

Reeeeeeee

So what are you waiting for tough guy, get off your dumpy ass and get them.

Chaplain

Question for everyone affected by this PSN outage:

Who benefits the most out of PSN being down like it has for three days now?

Beefy

It supposedly went down Christmas eve.

Not everyone. It was down about 30hrs for me. I don't blame Sony for the DDoS attack or the down time. Who knows what the DDoS did? But I feel Sony could of communicated in more detail. Hopefully they will do a big post on it after the problem is sorted.

This really fucking sucks and I still can't log on. I hope Sony does right by everyone and extends the flash sales, etc so people have a chance to buy the games on sale they wanted. I've been trying every day and I'll be pretty unhappy if I can't purchase the games I wanted.

I can't say its really that much better.

So during this whole shitfest my PS4 has gotten use, while my X1 was a doorstop until Live was restored. Glad Live was restored sooner, but when both were down, PS4 wasn't completely KO'd and could at least function without locking up.

At least that's my experience through all this...

Live was restored on Christmas night for a majority of users. There's a big difference here for most of us.

No one's saying that, we're saying this isn't a problem that Microsoft or Sony can fix, the only way to stop it is to find the guys responsible, something law enforcement has to do. There is literally no way to prevent DDoS attacks, all you can do is mitigate the effects by increasing bandwidth.

Top Bottom