• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIZARD SQUAD is Back. Planning XBL Attack. "Biggest attack yet". [UP: XBL/PSN Down]

Just got up..charging my XBOX ONE controller and will be powering it on for the first time, just been waiting for all this craziness to be resolved..is it back, xbox live it shows everything is back online on their web site but wasnt sure if it was accurate

It's working perfectly on my side. Best way to know is by checking it out yourself.

Copen

Banned
i taught this attack was just a minor thing :/. I guess it affected Sony more than I taught. Hopefully, it will be back by next Saturday.

It was truly strange early AM this morning and for the second day in a row after 3 am central in the US PSN was working on my sub accounts but not my primary since I had to sign in manually. But here's the weird thing even though my sub accounts would sign in and I could see my friends list and what they were playing when I would go to run a Internet test through the PSN network tab even though it showed I was connected to PSN it still failed the test when it tried testing the PSN network. I've never seen that happen before and it begs the question if I was really logged into PSN why was the test failing when checking the status of PSN?

Asgaro

I cant believe how active ip viking still is.

more interestingly enough, ip viking isn't focused on sony and microsoft servers. there is something else bigger going on, perhaps not related, but it seems to be significant.

I don't want to say it's North Korea attacking the Pentagon network.

... But it is North Korea attacking the Pentagon network.

Psn is down for me. Wtf Sony, get your shit together. I'm not paying you for a service that is not going to work. If it was free then I wouldn't even complain but I'm paying for it.

mike4001_

Just got up..charging my XBOX ONE controller and will be powering it on for the first time, just been waiting for all this craziness to be resolved..is it back, xbox live it shows everything is back online on their web site but wasnt sure if it was accurate

The Xbox Live Status page is normally pretty accurate.

Problems are shown with mostly a 30 min delay after they occur.

kairu

It really is crazy how long it takes sony to recover from things like this.

It makes me imagine their server room is like a bunch of lawnmower motors they need to use the pull-chain to restart or something equally as ridiculous.

Smurf

Banned
Douchebags who think it's "funny" to ruin other people's time like this are not people that need to be in society.

There is nothing uncivil about putting a bullet between their eyes. At all.

Some seriously disturbed people in the gaming community, and I'm not talking about lizards.

dukeoflegs

There are several sites on the internet that will run a port scanner/vulnerability scan on your firewall. Take your pick. ( search for "nmap online scan" )

In general:
* Update your virus scanners
* Google your firewall/router/ap model number + vulnerabilities
* Run a remote scan of your internet facing ip.

Thanks for the reply.

Would it be possible to institiute a system where your ps4 "registers" your IP as valid for connection to psn?

Then they would only allow connections from registered IP addresses. If the registration process could only take place on a ps3/ps4/vita system then all this fake traffic from botnets would be ignored.

I don't know anything about networking but maybe this is something ms/Sony could look into?

Just imagine if Xbox Ones always online scheme went ahead and they were constantly bombarded like this?

Isn't the always online scheme in effect?

I tried playing the SP campaign for the new call of duty on my xbone (I'm fascinated by this animatronic Kevin spacey) but my progress wouldn't load up due to the servers being down.

Seems like "always online" is a reality to me.

Or maybe I'm missing your obvious sarcasm?

Would it be possible to institiute a system where your ps4 "registers" your IP as valid for connection to psn?

Then they would only allow connections from registered IP addresses. If the registration process could only take place on a ps3/ps4/vita system then all this fake traffic from botnets would be ignored.

I don't know anything about networking but maybe this is something ms/Sony could look into?

Dynamic IP's?

dotdotdot

Neo Member
Lizards are saying they will stop attacking if they get more follows and retweets. Fuck those guys. Guess their accepting of Kim dotcoms bribe was bullshit.

SpokkX

Just got a new Xbox One

Trying to download install some stuff (minecraft, volgart, netflix app) and the service does not seem up fullt??

Install goes to 100% and then just says

"Installation stopped"

If you check the details it gives an errorcode (0x87df2ee2) and says "Make sure you are still connected"

Anyone else experience this?

Copen

Banned
Yeah, because I'm sure all those Vita owners are really clogging the network right now. And if you're going to count PS3 throw 360 in there as well. People always making excuses for PSN.

I'm not even so much upset at this incident as I am the amount of time its taken to recover. It just boggles the mind, honestly. How can this shit still be down?! How is that possible?!? lolol, my my my. What if this was Sony's primary source of revenue? They'd be screwed.

Not making excuses im stating common sense. Yes even if you threw in the 360 owners I think you'd still find more PS customers due to 2 out of 3 PS platforms being free. Other than that I agree with you I understand things go down and nothing is infallible but to still be down after all this time I don't know it looks bad. And it leads me to believe this was much more serious than we know about at this time. At any rate Sony should be doing a better job of communicating what the issues are and what's being done to restore service.

Choomp

Banned
Just got a notification on PS4 that said I have a DNS problem. Am I taking that seriously or is it just part of the outage?

Marvel

could never
Don't listen to this roided out freak! His experience is anecdotal!

XBox Live seems to have come up pretty quickly after the attack
It's like you want me to kick your ass!
8ZaENfd.gif

Yeah, props to em

shpankey

not an idiot
Anyone ever think that Sony may have just took it down to conduct a thorough investigation into the perpetrators in an extensive effort to catch them? Possibly involving law enforcement [FBI] and allowing them full access to their servers?

If so, I applaud Sony. I would rather not have PSN for a few days, even weeks, if it means they can bring these people to justice and make an example out of them, thereby reducing the chances of future attempts both by them and any others.

The truth is, we don't know what they're doing, but it's best to not assume the worst. I'm sure Sony knows what the heck they're doing.

Traffic isn't the problem. REQUESTS are. You'd still have all those requests and checks to confirm/deny.

Whitelisting isn't new and not everyone pays for a static IP. It would do more harm than good for the consumer.

soxxx

Banned
Anyone ever think that Sony may have just took it down to conduct a thorough investigation into the perpetrators in an extensive effort to catch them? Possibly involving law enforcement [FBI] and allowing them full access to their servers?

If so, I applaud Sony. I would rather not have PSN for a few days, even weeks, if it means they can bring these people to justice and make an example out of them, thereby reducing the chances of future attempts both by them and any others.

The truth is, we don't know what they're doing, but it's best to not assume the worst. I'm sure Sony knows what the heck they're doing.

They could try but this people are all over the world. You cant just extradite any of them immediately........

SkylineRKR

LS will continue to hammer servers as long as the attention is there.

Finestsquad is just a ploy by probably the same guys or friends. Its obviously bullshit, and its a tactic to create more hits and exposure, and probably offers from guys such as dotcom who should not even bother to give them a penny. But who knows he's in there for the exposure too.

Dynamic IP's?
Isn't there some means of tracking the connection being used by the systems?

Maybe IP changes but there surely is some constant that can be "registered" silently back to psn/Xbox live and white listed.

A simple check once every year of what connections all devices that connect to their network using only their devices shouldnt be too difficult to maintain.

Boke1879

It's possible but they should say that if that's what they are doing. Sure people will jump to conclusions if Sony said they were investigating a possible intrusion but I'd rather hear that from them.

Septimius

Christmas Eve -

Basically: Nope.

Traffic isn't the problem. REQUESTS are. You'd still have all those requests and checks to confirm/deny.

Whitelisting isn't new and not everyone pays for a static IP. It would do more harm than good for the consumer.
Thanks for the explanation, like I said I am no expert. It just seems like because only a certain few types of devices connect, there could be some type of limitation in place.

soxxx

Banned
They're just going to keep milking this for a while eh? Yeah, incentivize them some more, good idea.

Its not really milking it, they are going to get the facts straight because there a lot of claims made that need to be proven. FIrst off, Lizard Squad is supposed to be finished with attacking PSN/XBL because Kim give them the megaupload profiles, then Anonymous claimed finest squad was part of lizard squad so lets see if Anonymous has evidence.

Yopis

Still can't get on NC. My Vita won't sign on either shows I have messages but that's it. Certain games like SAO won't even start for me in this state. Hope they get it sorted soon just a bad situation. Would hate to be their support line workers yikes.

taco543

People keep saying how they feel bad for people getting ps4s and xbones as presents and not being able to play them, but in all honesty who I am really sorry for at this point is all the engineers that are working crunch time to get this up and running and probably have been working nonstop since the attacks first started to try and get this resolved. All in all no matter how much of an inconvenience it is for you just think of how much of a struggle it is. Its the holidays yeah the guys that did the attacks are assholes, but no reason for us to drop on their level by insulting the people who have given up their holiday to fix it. Don't forget your humility.

kitch9

Banned
Just got a new Xbox One

Trying to download install some stuff (minecraft, volgart, netflix app) and the service does not seem up fullt??

Install goes to 100% and then just says

"Installation stopped"

If you check the details it gives an errorcode (0x87df2ee2) and says "Make sure you are still connected"

Anyone else experience this?

No live is working perfectly for everyone and has been for days.

Apparently.

hesido

Same here. Purchased and downloaded three games today, no problem whatsoever. Everything installed, ready to go.: Can't verify license... Bla bla bla..

This is a very valid complaint. License verification seems too rigid for what PSN is capable of (be it due to scheduled / unscheduled maintenance or assholess dDoS'ing PSN), what is the worst that could happen if it was a bit more relaxed? Maybe some undeserving guy plays a game for a day or two when his licenses are expired or whatever.. But it being to rigid with this license verification is making lives harder for millions of legitimate users.

This should only work for offline games but, it's better than nothing, and I don't think it would cost an arm and a leg.

Maybe Sony should have a series of backup servers, stored as an encrypted data, that goes live in such events and replies with the encrypted IP of the next backup emergency server in chain, which just acts as a signal beacon to extend license on the PS4 for another couple of days. When this emergency server is dDoS'd, PS4's could be sending packets to the next in line, which replies with the next in chain. If there's no response, either there's no attack and the server is not"live", or you have been to late to login and the dDoS'ing assholes have taken down the previous one. In that case, PS4's could share the encrypted string peer2peer.

Septimius

Taking down the servers does nothing in "catching" someone. It just turns it off. Thorough investigations can be lead without taking the servers down. It's actually detrimental taking the servers down if the attack is ongoing.

Top Bottom