• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIZARD SQUAD is Back. Planning XBL Attack. "Biggest attack yet". [UP: XBL/PSN Down]

Septimius

Oh no, compensation should at this point be mandatory to these causes. I understand that this attack wasn't there fault, but it did inconvenience people. Especially on the xmas season. I think a good free week of PS+ is definitely appreciated for the downtime, or even a month. It's not a ridiculous request at all. My time was fucked up, and need something for that time.

Those posts that say "Man, do something else with your time. Who cares if your PSN is down?!" are stupid, but this is almost as stupid. It did inconvenience people, but nowhere is it stated that the services will be up at all times. You aren't guaranteed that, nor the continued service. I agree that some PS+ time makes sense, and I get that you feel cheated for the time you could have played. It's completely fair to be angry that you can't play, but that's the script-kiddies at Lizard Whatever's fault. Not Sony. You're holding Sony responsible for this. That's not right.

SDCowboy

Those posts that say "Man, do something else with your time. Who cares if your PSN is down?!" are stupid, but this is almost as stupid. It did inconvenience people, but nowhere is it stated that the services will be up at all times. You aren't guaranteed that, nor the continued service. I agree that some PS+ time makes sense, and I get that you feel cheated for the time you could have played. It's completely fair to be angry that you can't play, but that's the script-kiddies at Lizard Whatever's fault. Not Sony. You're holding Sony responsible for this. That's not right.

Ultimately the service provider is responsible for their service. Period. Something going wrong doesn't have to be "their fault". It's still falls on the provider. That's not an online gaming thing. That's any business. If I'm doing a project for someone, and someone breaks into my house and steals my computer, even though it's not my fault, I'm ultimately still responsible for the project getting done or not. That's how business works.

I don't think they owe anyone anything for this down time. Obviously we all agreed to it in the TOS. However, this is turning into another situation like they had a few years go, and now we're paying for service. I do think it would be nice if they tossed us a few days for free as a show of good will. This is the absolute worst time of year for them to be down for 3+ days straight. Meh

soxxx

Banned
That the terms state that the service may be down. And they are down.

Exactly, so instead of getting on here and asking for compensation, just don't renew your service, and make sure to tell everyone you know about how bad SONY's service is through word-of-mouth.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If this goes on significantly longer, Sony absolutely needs to provide compensation. Arguing about what's in the ToS is meaningless when their public perception is on the line and Microsoft has shown their backend isn't made of paper mâché and they were able to turn things around much faster.

Love how this is being used as a platform for console warriors who don't know a thing about what's happening to shit on the other console.

EatMyFace

Banned
I don't think they owe anyone anything for this down time. Obviously we all agreed to it in the TOS. However, this is turning into another situation like they had a few years go, and now we're paying for service. I do think it would be nice if they tossed us a few days for free as a show of good will. This is the absolute worst time of year for them to be down for 3+ days straight. Meh
Yeah bad timing but then again it's not like they chose this time. They were attacked.

If you're going to be mad at anyone be mad at Lizard Squad.

Ultimately the service provider is responsible for their service. Period. Something going wrong doesn't have to be "their fault". It's still falls on the provider. That's not an online gaming thing. That's any business. If I'm doing a project for someone, and someone breaks into my house and steals my computer, even though it's not my fault, I'm ultimately still responsible for the project getting done or not. That's how business works.

This reminds me of Goodfellas. "Fuck you pay me."

soxxx

Banned

Its a cyber-terrorist attack, its a criminal offense. It would be like buying a day pass to an amusement park, but the amusement park gets shut down because of some crazy shooter, and then you sit there complaining that you cant go on the roller-coaster....

Its criminal stuff, unfortunately this is how it has to be dealt with. It sucks but in the end, if they can actually manage to track down the perpetrators it will be for the better in the long run.

Boke1879

If this goes on significantly longer, Sony absolutely needs to provide compensation. Arguing about what's in the ToS is meaningless when their public perception is on the line and Microsoft has shown their backend isn't made of paper mâché and they were able to turn things around much faster.

Like I said if this goes on into tomorrow evening I'll be looking to sell my PS4 and all it's games and getting an Xbox 1. A PS4 will be purchased down the line when it's cheaper.

Little Johnny doesn't give 2 shits. And he shouldn't.

And Little Gregor can't play his PS4. He only gives 1 shit.

You aren't either one, so you should know better. This situation sucks, but there is more than enough information here and on the internet to understand why these two services are vastly different than one another in terms of scope and capability.

But if you just want to sit here and bang rocks together screaming for a chocolate milk, go ahead.

Yeah. I don't have a lot of faith that Sony will implement stronger security.

DDOS attacks have nothing to do with security.

EatMyFace

Banned
Exactly. Its like if a girl gets raped is her fault for looking too sexy. Common sense.

As if this needs to be said, this is sarcasm.

Septimius

This is a weak analogy. A service provider is the ones that need to ensure that their services are running, but they cannot be expected to work no matter what, which is what's being implied, here. A service provider should always go as far as they can to ensure service is guaranteed, but at a point, the cost of 'ensuring' that goes up exponentially compared to its result. As such, you would not be able to pay for their services to always be online, nor should you. Sony can of course not pull money out of its own ass, so they don't have unlimited resources. As such, some discretion should be used in discerning such cases. This is clearly a case of borderline, since there might be ways to deal with this attack faster. Likely that will come into place after this.

It's 10 years since the tsunami in Asia. There were many places and structures that weren't prepared then that are better suited and prepared now. This applies for all such things. You can never block off all contingencies. After something has happened is when that part will be strengthened.

I hate this.

But if this forces Sony to do heavy security upgrades then it's a good thing.

The nature of DDOS makes it hard to be "better prepared". This isn't really a security thing, though.

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but have any of you guys heard about this?

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/27/hacke...x-live-and-playstation-network-users-5001101/

This is old data and is debunked.

So it specifically states that in the event of a network attack no compensation will be given? Because I'd like to see that.

No one said that. Their terms state that their services might be down. They are.

Acorn

You aren't either one, so you should know better. This situation sucks, but there is more than enough information here and on the internet to understand why these two services are vastly different than one another in terms of scope and capability.

But if you just want to sit here and bang rocks together screaming for a chocolate milk, go ahead.

Both cost the same price (at least here). One doesn't work as often as the other thats all that matters to end user.

Top Bottom