• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIZARD SQUAD is Back. Planning XBL Attack. "Biggest attack yet". [UP: XBL/PSN Down]

This is a very valid complaint. License verification seems too rigid for what PSN is capable of (be it due to scheduled / unscheduled maintenance or assholess dDoS'ing PSN), what is the worst that could happen if it was a bit more relaxed? Maybe some undeserving guy plays a game for a day or two when his licenses are expired or whatever.. But it being to rigid with this license verification is making lives harder for millions of legitimate users.

This should only work for offline games but, it's better than nothing, and I don't think it would cost an arm and a leg.

Maybe Sony should have a series of backup servers, stored as an encrypted data, that goes live in such events and replies with the encrypted IP of the next backup emergency server in chain, which just acts as a signal beacon to extend license on the PS4 for another couple of days. When this emergency server is dDoS'd, PS4's could be sending packets to the next in line, which replies with the next in chain. If there's no response, either there's no attack and the server is not"live", or you have been to late to login and the dDoS'ing assholes have taken down the previous one. In that case, PS4's could share the encrypted string peer2peer.

Its probably a part of the contracts they have with third parties and movie studios that their authentication and license programs have to meet certain standards.

Septimius

I wouldn't put it past some group out there to have focused an attack on PSN and let off of Live to have people say "Look how much better MS is!"

lol oh boy...

How does not having been able to deal with a humongous attack constitute you sitting there saying "They don't know what they're doing"? How do you allow yourself to throw such shit without any grounds for it?

Question, Im looking at ipviking, and st louis always seems to be the target, is this PSN Server or something of the sort?
IP Viking is just an approximation of current network attacks. It doesn't monitor other people's servers, it just monitors traffic to and from their "honeypots" (targets with no actual useful info that are designed to look desirable/useful to people looking for that kind of stuff).

cakely

Sony/PSN is using prolexic for DDOS mitigation.

At this moment all auth requests are being blackholed behind prolexics servers. There could be several reasons for this.
* The auth server going offline on Sony's side.
* The auth server being overloaded
* Prolexic actively filtering traffic because of an ongoing attack.
* Some problem at prolexic (perhaps they can't handle the load either)

PSN also uses Amazon EC2 for their applications/multiplayer servers. And Akamai for game downloads, updates, firmware, etc. EC2 and Akamai also seems to be stable and explains why folks can get downloads and even play Online ( if they managed to login ) since those services are running in EC2 or over Akamais CDN.

When snooping traffic it's clear that the auth server is responding sporadically... and sometimes not at all. Which implies that it is at least alive but struggling.

It should also be noted that when a DDOS mitigation is done by first attempting to filter out offending traffic based on content... when that fails (IE: the attack is sophisticated enough) IP ranges begin to be blackholed altogether. This causes some regions to appear completely offline while others are fine. Those filters are then refined to allow legitimate users in. (Assuming the mitigation service is not overloaded). This is never perfect and extremely time consuming. ( BTW Mitigation services are EXPENSIVE ) To say Sony is not spending enough on infrastructure is a bit presumptuous.

The real problem is zombied edge devices. My little itybitty server in the corner of the internet gets 10s of thousands of hits from zombied IPs a day looking for vulnerabilities in my server. 1/2 the time I look it's from a Cheap wireless router that's been rooted and has an open telnet/ssh port or botnet client on it. ( It's so tempting rm -rf / and then burn the flash out on those things to kill them!! ) So it's not just infected enduser PCs anymore... it's all the cheap, insecure other crap people buy and plug into their internet connection. For all I know many of the folks here are running zombies without even knowing it and contributing to the problem. Perhaps while waiting for Sony to get PSN up and running folks should go see if their own gear has been compromised. :O

This is a helpful post. Thank you.

Acorn

I wouldn't put it past some group out there to have focused an attack on PSN and let off of Live to have people say "Look how much better MS is!"

How does not having been able to deal with a humongous attack constitute you sitting there saying "They don't know what they're doing"? How do you allow yourself to throw such shit without any grounds for it?
Or you know we look at a decade of evidence that XBL is a solid service stability wise.

No hacker conspiracy theory to make sony look bad.

People keep saying how they feel bad for people getting ps4s and xbones as presents and not being able to play them, but in all honesty who I am really sorry for at this point is all the engineers that are working crunch time to get this up and running and probably have been working nonstop since the attacks first started to try and get this resolved. All in all no matter how much of an inconvenience it is for you just think of how much of a struggle it is. Its the holidays yeah the guys that did the attacks are assholes, but no reason for us to drop on their level by insulting the people who have given up their holiday to fix it. Don't forget your humility.
Good point. Who knows how many people have gotten called in to the office when they should be relaxing with family and friends.

VinFTW

Yeah that MUST be the reason Live recovered better...

Also, like someone said, I'm sure Sony knows what the issues are, it probably takes time and manpower to work through the issues slowly and surely.

Caja 117

IP Viking is just an approximation of current network attacks. It doesn't monitor other people's servers, it just monitors traffic to and from their "honeypots" (targets with no actual useful info that are designed to look desirable/useful to people looking for that kind of stuff).

So all it really shows attack from Country A to Country B and the City, IP, ISP has no relation to the real target?

Choomp

Banned
Dont worry i got the same notification but have been able to connect afterwards

Since Christmas I've been able to log in but not use anything requiring the network. I've been able to look at my friends list an trophies a few times though.

Edit: Destiny is working though? Huh. I went to Test Connection and every thing is how it should be. Don't know what's going on here.

Konosuke

Man, that post doesn't make me confident about the preservation of game downloads. What if Akamai decides to charge Sony more money and they refuse to pay it?

Or you know we look at a decade of evidence that XBL is a solid service stability wise.

No hacker conspiracy theory to make sony look bad.

Well we need to know how many times Microsoft got seriously attacked, in which we don't have much evidence of that do we? Maybe people just generally like Microsoft to not mess with them but Sony killed a lot of people's dogs.

I'm starting to get back onto the psn store now on my phone. Not all the time but sometimes.

First time I went to buy Alien Isolation is was $34.99. Second time it was $29.99. Weird stuff going on but it looked like it worked.

SDCowboy

Compensation for what?

You agreed to the terms of service, you can't be mad over something you agreed to.

Agreeing to terms doesn't mean a company shouldn't compensate the customers. There is a difference between being owed something and doing something nice for your customers as a means of great customer service. A company shouldn't strive to do for their customers only what they legally have to.

Auctopus

The only thing that really bothers me is the verification, I'm locked out of BOI & Spelunky which I've bought because it can't connect to the server to check that I've actually bought it. Same for my Driveclub DLC.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Question, Im looking at ipviking, and st louis always seems to be the target, is this PSN Server or something of the sort?

As somebody said earlier in this thread, there are 15 large data centers in Saint Louis and vicinity, so you cannot pinpoint the direct target of this barrage.

Compensation for what?

You agreed to the terms of service, you can't be mad over something you agreed to.

Oh no, compensation should at this point be mandatory to these causes. I understand that this attack wasn't there fault, but it did inconvenience people. Especially on the xmas season. I think a good free week of PS+ is definitely appreciated for the downtime, or even a month. It's not a ridiculous request at all. My time was fucked up, and need something for that time.

Since Christmas I've been able to log in but not use anything requiring the network. I've been able to look at my friends list an trophies a few times though.
Well i have been able to buy games and download them after i got the error so you should be fine.
I didnt try playing online though

Im not telling you what to do, I am tellling you the facts. You agreed to them, no one forced you to agree.

You said I can't be angry about something I agreed to. I can. Not that I'm angry about this, I don't even have a PS4 so #notafact.
dUlMFSY.png

tahsutify

Just logged in and managed to purchase Ground Zeroes which was in my cart already. I was also planning to buy AC4 but I thought it may be gone again any minute. Good thinking, just after purchasing Ground Zeroes it is down again.

soxxx

Banned
Oh no, compensation should at this point be mandatory to these causes. I understand that this attack wasn't there fault, but it did inconvenience people. Especially on the xmas season. I think a good free week of PS+ is definitely appreciated for the downtime, or even a month. It's not a ridiculous request at all. My time was fucked up, and need something for that time.

Then go sue them, your case will get thrown out of court so quickly, because YOU agreed to these terms.......

Would it be a nice gesture on SONY to give some stuff out? of course, but if you really want to hurt them, just don't renew your service.

I knew it was smart to leave my ps4 on all night lol. Refusing to turn it off or log out

Don't do it, I got in this morning after the MTU changes and got log off FIFA Ultimate team and though it was PSN I try to disconnect and reconnect and now I can't get in again, also It was the EA servers that now are also not working.

God damn it I just want to play the Futmas cup.

SZips

Its not really milking it, they are going to get the facts straight because there a lot of claims made that need to be proven. FIrst off, Lizard Squad is supposed to be finished with attacking PSN/XBL because Kim give them the megaupload profiles, then Anonymous claimed finest squad was part of lizard squad so lets see if Anonymous has evidence.

Do you really expect them to be truthful? And by "them" I really mean any of the parties that will involved in that interview. Come on.

They've been trolling everyone hard for months now and people keep on buying into it.

Top Bottom