• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Localized version of Dragon Quest VIII released worldwide on iOS/Android

Let's try to have the level of discourse higher than "3DS/Vita please" and "$20 LOLOLOLOL"

Thanks!

Interestingly is how mobile development doesn't include these platforms in its scope.

Especially Vita since its basically has all the inputs and setup of a smartphone. Would be easy money...

Not sure what other limitations there are here

Patryn

Does it have controller support? I've been considering getting a controller for KOTOR, and if this supports it that will also help sway me.

Still pissed that iOS controllers are $70.

Minsc

Gold Member
Surprise! A thread about an iOS game filled with Android and "proper" console port begging.

Not anymore! I'm deleting all those posts as I mentioned earlier... I'd like to have a thread about the game, that is actually about the game (for the most part, occasional, relevant tangents are fine).

Again, no one cares in an iOS / mobile thread that you don't like the platforms. So no need to tell us.

Dunbar

This is where mobile gaming confuses me sometimes. Is anyone really going to play an 80-100 RPG on their iPhone? I can't imagine a worse way to play this game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Surprise! A thread about an iOS game filled with Android and "proper" console port begging.
The game is on Android, the question is just of and when the Android version will be released in the West. Nothing wrong with that.

Ourobolus

Banned
Regardless of my preference, I'll still be interested to see if it runs well. I'm still leaning no on a purchase, but my interest is at least piqued a small amount.

tim.mbp

So would this work on an iPod Touch? I have a Kindle Fire Hdx, but was thinking about picking up an iPod Touch for gaming.

SmokyDave

Seriously tempted. I've never played a DQ game and I don't like RPGs particularly, but I need a beefy game that I can play with one hand whilst I'm settling the kid. Might be worth taking a punt since it's pretty cheap.

I love dragon quest, and VIII is one of my favorites. I just wish it wasn't on iOS, i just don't have as much fun playing with touch controls as I do playing with a regular controller.

I do wonder if this has the updated menu, item images, and voices from the US/EU ps2 release, or if it is based solely on the Japan PS2 release.

Kurdel

Banned
I don't know why you'd want to run through the beautiful world map on a vertical screen.

You don't look like you are playing a game when the screen is vertical, so for some people it can be appealing.

Especially if you can play it one handed, thats the best.

Grief.exe

I see I'll be booting up my PS2 this weekend.

EDIT: To be fair, turn-based RPGs aren't that bad on phones, but still...I can't really imagine enjoying this as much without the full TV.

If you have a decent PC, then DQVIII emulates really well on PCSX2.

mclem

Might want to edit the OP with Bolding since people seem to be missing the point:

* Using the App on iPhone 4s/iPad2/iPad mini
After extended play on these devices, some instability may occur, and the app may occasionally freeze or crash.
We apologise for the inconvenience, but please keep the following in mind while playing:

- Save your game often.
- When suspending play, please make sure to close the app completely via the recently used apps list.
- Frequent crashes can sometimes be remedied by restarting your device.

It's older hardware, guys. It's not that unexpected.

The first generation iPad Mini is only just over eighteen months old. I do worry that the rate at which hardware becomes obsolete in the tablet field is a problem for gaming until development of the hardware slows down a bit. But then... I'm not sure slowing down the development of hardware is in the manufacturer's best interest.

Then again, we are talking about a pretty bleeding-edge title here, the vast majority of titles - I would imagine - have no problem.

Minsc

Gold Member
The first generation iPad Mini is only just over eighteen months old. I do worry that the rate at which hardware becomes obsolete in the tablet field is a problem for gaming until development of the hardware slows down a bit.

The iPad Mini is using the same/similar hardware as the iPad 2 however (as does the 4S, also listed above), so that sorta adds another year and a half to the age (iPad 2 released early 2011). Also, as long as hardware is literally doubling in speed yearly, I don't think it's too unreasonable to see such cutoffs for more graphically demanding titles (which even though this may not really look it, being ported instead of built ground up probably has some effect on the hardware needed).

Assault

I played a little of the Japanese version on an iPhone 5, the framerate was kinda jittery but still very playable. I have a 5S now so I wonder if there will be any sort of performance boost....

Xis

The first generation iPad Mini is only just over eighteen months old. I do worry that the rate at which hardware becomes obsolete in the tablet field is a problem for gaming until development of the hardware slows down a bit. But then... I'm not sure slowing down the development of hardware is in the manufacturer's best interest.

Then again, we are talking about a pretty bleeding-edge title here, the vast majority of titles - I would imagine - have no problem.

This is likely all due to RAM - the 4S / iPad 2 / iPad mini all have only 512 MB, while everything else has 1024 MB.

Tripon

Huh. I was expecting smoother textures or something. DQ8 really shows its age in these screens. I knew DQ8 was a fast port job, but I expected more than this.

Huh. I was expecting smoother textures or something. DQ8 really shows its age in these screens. I knew DQ8 was a fast port job, but I expected more than this.

It looks fantastic at 1080p on pcsx2. I guess it's hitting the limits of the hardware - espcially with those "Instability" notes for older hardware.

Silvawuff

Touch control should work really well for this game, especially the combat.

SE mobile game sales are rare, but when they do happen, they're a great deal for full games like this. I'll probably wait.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is where mobile gaming confuses me sometimes. Is anyone really going to play an 80-100 RPG on their iPhone? I can't imagine a worse way to play this game.

Why? My phone is with me at all times. I can get more game time throughout my day than I could the time I spend sitting in front of a TV.

It seems to be a barebones port which is sad. Remember how much of a leap FFT from PSX to PSP was? It seems to be the PS2 version with touch controls and no VA with some bugs. Square-Enix does better porting already good ports than making original mobile ports.

Touch control should work really well for this game, especially the combat.
Emulating Turn-Based RPGs on my Android, touch controls suit it better. Pokémon works much better than it has any right to be. If Nintendo would suck up their pride, then Pokémon ports on iOS and Android would sell hotcakes. I also like the mobile port of FTL. My main issue is it is a pretty basic port, which is sad considering the $20 price.

Faustek

All I can think of is masturbating....

Before I get slapped

WyC6Pid.jpg

It seems to be a barebones port which is sad. Remember how much of a leap FFT from PSX to PSP was? It seems to be the PS2 version with touch controls and no VA with some bugs. Square-Enix does better porting already good ports than making original mobile ports.

Emulating Turn-Based RPGs on my Android, touch controls suit it better. Pokémon works much better than it has any right to be. If Nintendo would suck up their pride, then Pokémon ports on iOS and Android would sell hotcakes. I also like the mobile port of FTL. My main issue is it is a pretty basic port, which is sad considering the $20 price.

$24.99

Laconic

Banned
I'd rather have this on PSN as a classic than play it on iOS. I don't even have an apple product. Plus this isn't the way I want to play a 100+ hour rpg. I need a controller and a big screen.

This game screams for the HD treatment anyway.

HD DQ VIII?

... ... ... Pardon. I suddenly just had an inordinately large amount of saliva to wipe up.

takoyaki

I played a little of the Japanese version on an iPhone 5, the framerate was kinda jittery but still very playable. I have a 5S now so I wonder if there will be any sort of performance boost....

Same here, played it for 2/3 hours. The performance was ok but not great (sub 30fps, sometimes unresponsive controls) on iphone5s/ipad air, but they might have optimized it since December.

It's an OK port of one of the best RPGs of all time and the graphics look better than on PS2; I think you can have a lot of fun with the game it if you don't mind using a virtual joystick and prefer to play RPGs on a handheld.

Top Bottom