• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Localized version of Dragon Quest VIII released worldwide on iOS/Android

Danneee

Is it any good? Been wanting to play this and an iOS version would be better than nothing I suppose. It the port isn't shit.

It seems to be a barebones port which is sad. Remember how much of a leap FFT from PSX to PSP was? It seems to be the PS2 version with touch controls and no VA with some bugs. Square-Enix does better porting already good ports than making original mobile ports.

No VA? Good heavens. does it at least have the orchestral recordings?

HD DQ VIII?

... ... ... Pardon. I suddenly just had an inordinately large amount of saliva to wipe up.

PCSX2 can render discs in HD. DQVIII looks great on it. Need a decent PC to use it though.

Also, the soundtrack is still the same from what I noticed. Only played a bit of friend's copy.

Chunky

Why is the font so bad? In a game so driven by text, surely a bit of effort on the typography would have been worth it.

ethanny2

I remember reading somewhere that it one supports one handed Vertical Orientation controls, so that you could play it on the go, or on the subway or something. Seems like a good idea in practice, but I think there is no landscape mode.

Also the game crashes a lot because they had to port the game to Unity to get it run on Mobile platforms, in #C or JavaScript and correct me if I am wrong but Square does not have much Unity experience. Also here is a quote, they may release the Android version here as well.

“If we were to side with either one of iOS or Android, then we’d only have about half the players,” said Hata, as he explained that smartphone games should always be compatible to both operating systems.

Source :http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/16/square-enix-used-unity-dragon-quest-viii-smartphones/

bigkrev

With some people, there is just no way to win... People bitch about F2P, they bitch even more about Microtransactions in games you pay for, and they bitch about full featured games getting high price points. What do you even want? You realize that if this was on 3DS or Vita it would cost twice as much, right?

The thing i'm most curious about is the one-handed mode. I'm shocked that it took this long for RPGs on phones to adopt this, because when I'm playing on my phone, my other hand is normally busy holding something else. I'm also curious if they changed how saves work- is there a quick save option you can use anywhere, because you might need to stop playing at a moments notice?

I'm glad S-E is one of the few companies that remains interested in putting console quality content on phones, and hope this continues in the future.

Chinbo37

For those who dont have access to a PS2 or their computer cant run any PS2 emulators, I would reccomend this as it is one of my favorite RPGs.

However, I can imagine the experience was a bit better with a controller, not trying to knock mobile gaming just for the sake of it...

bobawesome

Not anymore! I'm deleting all those posts as I mentioned earlier... I'd like to have a thread about the game, that is actually about the game (for the most part, occasional, relevant tangents are fine).

Again, no one cares in an iOS / mobile thread that you don't like the platforms. So no need to tell us.

Thank you. The hero Mobile GAF needs.

clem84

Gold Member
What bugs me is, because of the reasons listed in this thread (sloppy port, price, system it's released on), this thing will not sell very well and it might discourage SE from bringing other DQ games to North America. :(

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
What bugs me is, because of the reasons listed in this thread (sloppy port, price, system it's released on), this thing will not sell very well and it might discourage SE from bringing other DQ games to North America. :(

they'll be fine, it's a bitch to get a refund

Minsc

Gold Member
they'll be fine, it's a bitch to get a refund

Is it? I've always been under the impressions Apple refunds iOS purchases for practically any reason at all.

Either way, the negatives to this port are nothing new from SE. It should do as well as expected, I'd guess.

Aeana

I played through this version up until about halfway through and I couldn't take it anymore. At least on my phone, LG G2, which is a pretty powerful device, the framerate got so bad. The controls themselves are not completely terrible, but they do take some getting used to.

Aeana

It seems to be a barebones port which is sad. Remember how much of a leap FFT from PSX to PSP was? It seems to be the PS2 version with touch controls and no VA with some bugs. Square-Enix does better porting already good ports than making original mobile ports.

Emulating Turn-Based RPGs on my Android, touch controls suit it better. Pokémon works much better than it has any right to be. If Nintendo would suck up their pride, then Pokémon ports on iOS and Android would sell hotcakes. I also like the mobile port of FTL. My main issue is it is a pretty basic port, which is sad considering the $20 price.

No VA? Good heavens. does it at least have the orchestral recordings?
Sorry, guys. This is based on the Japanese PS2 version, which never had VA or orchestral music.

Toth

Sorry, guys. This is based on the Japanese PS2 version, which never had VA or orchestral music.

Does it at least have the classic DQ sound effects? Those changes were my least favorite in the otherwise excellent localized copy.

I'm getting this purely for the non orchestral soundtrack. Can't wait to dive back into one of the best traditional RPGs ever on my ipad

graywolf323

Is it? I've always been under the impressions Apple refunds iOS purchases for practically any reason at all.

Either way, the negatives to this port are nothing new from SE. It should do as well as expected, I'd guess.

they've only ever granted me a refund once ~6 years ago and the one or two times I've had an accidental purchase since they've denied me on the grounds it was truly a one-time only exception

bigkrev

I've never been able to get apple to refund me for an app. It's super easy on Android though as long as it's in the 15-20 min time window though

Teletraan1

Banned
I'd rather have this on PSN as a classic than play it on iOS. I don't even have an apple product. Plus this isn't the way I want to play a 100+ hour rpg. I need a controller and a big screen.

This game screams for the HD treatment anyway.

Agree 100%. There is some ideology that everyone wants to play long RPGs on a portable device. I do not.

Minsc

Gold Member
Agree 100%. There is some ideology that everyone wants to play long RPGs on a portable device. I do not.

I think you have "everyone" mixed up with "people." There are definitely people who like playing long RPGs on portable devices (mobile included). I don't think any one believes that everyone prefers such.

if i were to temporarily switch my app store region to new zealand, would i be able to purchase this (or is there an ip region lock)?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Weird, so SE took it upon themselves to add orchestra music and va to the Localized versions? It most be topsy turvy land.

I wonder if this means we're going to get the other smart phone ports? I downloaded the Japanese port of DQ1 when they released it back in... I wanna say december? I can't remember. Either way, I had a blast playing it then.

But then again I have a blast playing every Dragon Quest. I just wish they'd release them over here, instead of having me resort to importing/getting around market place regionlocks.

Also, I'm sure we'll get this on Android. Not sure why SE delayed releasing it simultaneously.

Weird, so SE took it upon themselves to add orchestra music and va to the Localized versions? It most be topsy turvy land.

They also completely rechanged the controls, and added a new graphic interface.

On paper, these changes all seem like they were for the best, but honestly I could have gone without them. It ruined the loading times. Japanese PS2 version had basically no loading times.

sublimit

Banned
On paper, these changes all seem like they were for the best, but honestly I could have gone without them. It ruined the loading times. Japanese PS2 version had basically no loading times.

Oh come on.The loading times were fine when considering the huge scale of that game and PS2's hardware.I never thought that they were too long.

KiTA

I'm torn. Square Enix's mobile ports have been horrible bordering on decent, and this appears to be iOS only to boot. At the same time, it's hope that they haven't forgotten about us.

Is the price $16 like the rest of their ports, or is there some sort of "we don't want to be proven wrong about DQ in the west" surtax?

Danneee

It's not, it is extremely easy to get a refund actually.

Oh come on.The loading times were fine when considering the huge scale of that game and PS2's hardware.I never thought that they were too long.

Most of the time they were okay. But then you have moments like summoning Empyrea, where the loading times were horrible. Which is especially jarring going from the Japanese version(which had close to no loading times) to the US version.

Zee-Row

Banned
The main character won't turn Super Saiyan either when he gets super high tension. I believe that was exclusive to the English PS2 version.

sublimit

Banned
Most of the time they were okay. But then you have moments like summoning Empyrea, where the loading times were horrible. Which is especially jarring going from the Japanese version(which had close to no loading times) to the US version.

Well i'd still happily trade a bit longer loading times for the incredible symphonic ost and the excellent voice acting among the various changes.

Voice acting wasn't bad. Yangus' and Trode were the best cast members. I hated Angelo's voice and Jessica's wasn't much better though.

Dhoulmagus' was pretty cool

As for the OST, I was too distracted by the fact that they just spliced the Symphonic Suite in. I really don't like the recording quality of VIII"s symphonic suite. The accoustics feel odd, like they're in an echo chamber or something. Compare it to the fidelity of DQIV or VII's symphonic suite. There is a lot to be desired there.

I wish Suigyama would go back and re-record VIII's soundtrack

Top Bottom