• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Localized version of Dragon Quest VIII released worldwide on iOS/Android

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Wow, this thread. Portrait only? No voice acting or orchestral soundtrack?

Square Enix, hang your head in shame. I'm gonna start a new game on PCSX2.

SaiyanRaoh

So I decided to bite since this game is one of the many, many games in my backlog. I've never completed it years ago. And ya know, I'm surprised that I'm enjoying this as much as I am. I've been playing this for a couple hours now and in that time I've played the game on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini retina. Yes, the frame rate isn't buttery smooth and the orchestrated music is gone (wasn't it rather down-sampled on the PS2 anyway?) and the voices are gone (okay, this hurts a tad....)
But I guess the idea of "OMG, I'm playing a PS2 classic one handed on a mobile device!!!" trumps the lower frame rate which to me is still very, very playable. I guess I simply gotten used to it. It still has more charm than half the cookie cutter, horribly animated Korean RPG garbage on this thing.

Ninja Dom

So I decided to bite since this game is one of the many, many games in my backlog. I've never completed it years ago. And ya know, I'm surprised that I'm enjoying this as much as I am. I've been playing this for a couple hours now and in that time I've played the game on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini retina. Yes, the frame rate isn't buttery smooth and the orchestrated music is gone (wasn't it rather down-sampled on the PS2 anyway?) and the voices are gone (okay, this hurts a tad....)
But I guess the idea of "OMG, I'm playing a PS2 classic one handed on a mobile device!!!" trumps the lower frame rate which to me is still very, very playable. I guess I simply gotten used to it. It still has more charm than half the cookie cutter, horribly animated Korean RPG garbage on this thing.

You're playing on iPad and iPhone? Two separate quests on each device or is there some sort of cloud saving?

Daouzin

Tempted to pick this up, love Dragon Quest and this one is one of my favorites. I think it could be the perfect game for E3 lines, but I should probably socialize.

Gammacide

This is one of my favorite RPGs of all-time but I just CAN'T bring myself to buy such an incredibly fucked-up port, especially for that price with so much removed. I'm not surprised SE would do this, but I am disappointed that there isn't an HD version for modern consoles...or even just a VIta version. THAT would be bought in a heartbeat.

Bittersweet. Also does it have the voices?

Weird playing vertically. $20, yikes!

Nvm: saw above post. So no voices huh? Not the same without Yangus' "Cor blimey!" Not worth $20. :(

I kind of still want it but it kind of sucks. Mobile sucks!

By the way, what's portrait only?

KtSlime

This is one of my favorite RPGs of all-time but I just CAN'T bring myself to buy such an incredibly fucked-up port, especially for that price with so much removed. I'm not surprised SE would do this, but I am disappointed that there isn't an HD version for modern consoles...or even just a VIta version. THAT would be bought in a heartbeat.
Nothing was removed, the extra stuff in the western releases didn't belong there to begin with. This version has restored the sound effects and music back to that of the original Japanese PS2 game.

entremet

Those were additions to the Western releases. The original Japanese, which this is based didn't have those upgrades.

Alrus

Nothing was removed, the extra stuff in the western releases didn't belong there to begin with. This version has restored the sound effects and music back to that of the original Japanese PS2 game.

Didn't belong? Really? You don't like orchestral soundtracks?

sörine

Banned
Seems like landscape screen orientation, gamepad support and offline play were removed. So not nothing exactly.

Shogun1337

Y'know,

I regard Dragon Quest VIII as one of the greatest video games of all time, and a work of art. No JRPG created today could possibly even compare to it.

News of this iOS/Android release initially made me ecstatic, but knowing Square-Enix... if anything is changed from the way it was in the game's original release, I'm out. That shit for brains company doesn't remember (or know) what made their games so good anymore.

Yepp, let's not bother. Everyone please don't give this crap company the satisfaction.

Psxphile

Is this in portrait mode only?

Better to use on the train that way.
What about those who sit during the commute? :)

I think what ticks people off more here is that they're not being given the option of landscape.

It's been said before here and in other threads that the orchestral score used in the NA version was a rather poor recording. It may have also contributed to the localized game's slightly extended load times on the PS2. Anyone who's played the Japanese version would notice a stark difference in load times. And to be honest, the original soundtrack sounded pretty great already.

The dub was awesome, though. I'll miss that. Here's hoping for a Steam release ala FFIII ... maybe some enterprising modder can add back what which was taken away.

Aeana

The orchestrated music was taken from the Symphonic Suite CD, which was recorded at a concert. It was not recorded to be used in a game, so yeah, it sounds off. Particularly if you compare it to DQ5 PS2, which had an orchestral soundtrack recorded specifically for use in-game. The difference in quality is massive.

ultra7k

I've loved one handed gaming ever since I accidently discovered that it could be done on the PSX controller back on Suikoden 2. I've always wondered why more RPGs don't incorporate this.

While it would have been nice to have a landscape mode, there are times I wish Final Fantasy Dimensions had a portrait mode. I meant to buy DQVIII last night but didn't end up getting home till later.

Will be buy this the moment I get home from work.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I still have $15 in my iTunes account from two Christmases ago so I'm not opposed to spending it. But I'm still on the fence. I'll wait and see if more people get it and start reviewing it.

terrisus

Oh, it's up on Android too now?

Meh, I still have a variety of thoughts on this whole situation, which obviously this thread isn't the place for, so I'll just say... Fine, I'm getting it for Android.

terrisus

I've loved one handed gaming ever since I accidently discovered that it could be done on the PSX controller back on Suikoden 2. I've always wondered why more RPGs don't incorporate this.

Plenty of options for it:

ASCII%20Stick%20L5%20666.jpg

12090708107.JPG

ascii-grip-controller.jpg

533757-ascii_grip_super.gif

XviTDke.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
When I heard that the port had no voice acting and, incredibly, no soundtrack I was wondering what the hell had happened.

Then it slowly came to light that people were complaining about there being no symphonic suite score. That doesn't bother me - I have already gone to lengths previously a few years ago about the superior original soundtrack that Western audiences didn't receive in their localized release.

Now my only worry is whether I'll be disgusted at the framerate issues or not...

Eusis

Ah, a nitpick that came to mind that seems to rest fully on SE: why did they swap the sword in the logo for a regular T? It was an iconic touch we finally got with the proper name retained for localization, then it got tossed anyway.

terrisus

Well, put maybe 20 minutes into it so far with my Samsung Galaxy S4, and it seems decent enough. The controls will definitely take some getting used to, and I'm sure I'll never really like them, but they work at least. Long load times, but then, it's not like the PS2 game was free from load times either. I honestly only put in maybe an hour or two with the PS2 version after getting it like 4 years ago though, so I don't really have too much to compare it to.

paolo11

sörine;113905948 said:
Seems like landscape screen orientation, gamepad support and offline play were removed. So not nothing exactly.

Wait, this game can be played online only?

KtSlime

It just doesn't sound right, as a person who has played the Japanese version, it's just off. I like the performance, but it was shoehorned in. Besides the game already takes up way too much space on my phone. I do *not* like the changes in sound effects in the PS2 US release of 8, it does not sound like Dragon Quest.

sörine;113905948 said:

The portrait format works really well honestly, I don't know why people are so hung up on that. All the DQ games on iPhone are played tate, it's convenient, and a bit iconic. Gamepad support could be added in, I wouldn't complain if it were, but it's a menu driven turn based RPG and really doesn't need it. I don't know where you are inventing this last accusation. The Japanese version (iOS) has no such requirement.

What about those who sit during the commute? :)

I think what ticks people off more here is that they're not being given the option of landscape.

Okay, but would it be fair to complain about any and all games that don't give me the option of portrait mode? It would be nice to have the option of not elbowing people on the train.

Wait, this game can be played online only?

Unless the US version is majorly different than the Japanese version (iOS), he's making stuff up, I can play in Airplane mode no problem.

The 'online only' idea came from this from Google Play:

"The game will be validated the first time it is loaded, and at predetermined intervals afterwards, and therefore cannot be initialised while offline. Please make sure you have a data connection before running the app. Once the game is initialised however, it can be played offline (except for online features)."
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq8 (at the bottom of the description)

It has to be online the first time it is opened, and then at some other times they don't say. It is possible that 'initialised' could be misunderstood to mean whenever it is opened.

terrisus

Offline from a cold boot of the game? If so, maybe SE redeemed.

Yup.

Closed game completely
Turned off WiFi
Turned off Mobile Data
Started game
Loaded save
Walked around for a minute
Saved again

Everything seemed to work fine, unless I missed something.
I could certainly be wrong (I don't have too much experience with phones), so don't necessarily quote me on that/someone should double-check.

Toth

It just doesn't sound right, as a person who has played the Japanese version, it's just off. I like the performance, but it was shoehorned in. Besides the game already takes up way too much space on my phone. I do *not* like the changes in sound effects in the PS2 US release of 8, it does not sound like Dragon Quest.

Yeah that was always my big (well, only) beef with the translated version. Those sound effects are just so iconic.

terrisus

Well, turned off WiFi and Mobile Data, shut the phone down, restarted it twice. Then loaded the game, it opened fine, played around a bit, saved, and everything seemed to go fine.

I don't know if there are various checks when playing through the game or if you don't connect for a while or something, but, seems alright, and at the very least not like it's refusing to let you load and save (after the initial load I assume, not going to uninstall it and reinstall it to check, someone else can try that if they want).

What are the recommended phones to run this?

I have an SGS3 but I could easily buy a new one just to play this on a portable.

Edit: Wait. There's no english version for android? wtf

Eusis

Yeah, while the changes were generally well intentioned it kind of sucked for someone that wanted a purer experience. Ideally it'd at least have been a series of toggles so those who wanted the purest experience could have it, but they went all-or-nothing instead.

Elios83

Localized means english only notwithstanding the fact that the PS2 game was available in french, german, spanish and italian as well?
Btw it costs too much for a bad port.The game deserves a full HD treatment, just like FFXII btw ;)

Dragon Quest VIII is waaay too long for me to want to play on my phone, but once they release the NES era DQs, I'm in for all of 'em.

I do hope they've cleaned up the janky look of DQ I iOS before it gets an international release though.

NolbertoS

Bittersweet. Also does it have the voices?

Weird playing vertically. $20, yikes!

Nvm: saw above post. So no voices huh? Not the same without Yangus' "Cor blimey!" Not worth $20. :(

I kind of still want it but it kind of sucks. Mobile sucks!

By the way, what's portrait only?

iPhone-4S-keyboard-portrait-and-landscape.jpg

Portrait is playing vertically and landscape is playing horizontally as shown in this pic

NolbertoS

Started playing it recently. So far, semi-impressed with it. SE, should've made it available for 3DS or Vita. It shouldn't cost alot to port a PS2 classic on PSN.

I've been playing through Knights of Pen & Paper again and was tossing up what to play next. Is this easy enough to play with one thumb on a train?

This should be on Vita. Fuck even 3ds. I don't see how you can justify what SE is doing here.

Well that's easy - they're going where they make money.

Alrus

This should be on Vita. Fuck even 3ds. I don't see how you can justify what SE is doing here.

It's a cheap and lazy port they can sell at a relatively high price to a huge install base, it's not rocked science why they did it.

Top Bottom