• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logitech F710 Controller with Profiler is God-tier on PC

I feel like the Logitech F710 doesn't get enough love on this site so I decided to make a thread about it and the included software, Logitech Gaming Software / Profiler.

um8GVHs.jpg

The F710 is the wireless model. They also have a wired model which is pretty much identical. It offers the typical setup: A, B, X, Y, LB, RB, LT, RT, Start, Back, Guide, 8 way directional pad, left/right analog sticks. It also has a Mode button which allows you to switch the left analog stick with the d-pad on the fly. It has a rumble button to turn vibration on/off. Lastly, it has a switch that allows you to change between xinput/directinput whenever needed. If you have it on xinput it will be detected just as an Xbox 360 controller would. With directinput, you can use the included software to map whatever keys, commands, etc to the controller.

Here is the F710 on Amazon with excellent reviews at $39.99

The Logitech Gaming Software / Profiler is pretty awesome. Here are some screenshots that I took.

Images Left to Right
01. Main screen
02. Main screen with shifted commands
03. Button menu
04. Analog stick menu
05. Axis assignments
06. Analog stick settings (You can map the mouse x and y axis to the joystick x and y axis)
07. Zone assignments (You can map multiple commands to any location within the range of movement of the analog sticks)
08. D-pad assignments (You can click the FPS style movement box to switch between 4-Way and 8-Way assignments)
09. Commands menu (You can also setup a repeating function to change how often the command repeats when the button is held down.)
10.Cycle commands menu (Macros)
11. Global profiler menu
12. Printout (You can printout your configuration)
13. Task manager (As you can see, it has a minimal footprint and can be left on all the time)

The battery lasts a really long time. I haven't had to change batteries in months. I use Eneloops with it. The receiver on the wireless model is super tiny (the same size as the Logitech Unifying receiver). The controller is super comfy and I never have any problems with long play sessions. As far as comfort, I would say that it's the most comfortable I've ever used. The LGS/Profiler will also download game configurations so that you have configurations already in the software when you get a game if you want to use them. I typically like setting up my own whenever I don't want to use xinput. You can profile setup for different games/programs and it will autodetect when that game/program is in use. You can also setup global profiles that you can use at all times (even in Windows). Mapping the mouse xy axis to the right joystick xy axis works well and then you can make the mouse buttons any of the other buttons on the controller (typically a trigger or bumper). The software is especially useful for games where there is no controller support or has tons of keys mapped to the keyboard because with shifting commands you can expand the number of buttons you have to 30 (and that number can go up to over 60 buttons with some clever mapping)

Here is the first review that I found on Google with a ton of pics and info. They gave it a 9.4/10.
B2G: Logitech F710 Wireless Gamepad Review

Sorry about all those screenshots. There wasn't a really good way to handle that.

Knurek

I feel like the Logitech F710 doesn't get enough love on this site so I decided to make a thread about it and the included software, Logitech Gaming Software / Profiler.

I used the wired/non-rumble model (310 IIRC). It's terrible when compared to Dualshocks. Terrible clicky face buttons that started getting stuck after a few months, dpad even worse than the stock x360 one (how is that even possible?), triggers requiring an immense amount of force to pull - I started getting cramps after an hour of so of Assassin's Creed which requires RT for running.
Would not recommend. DS4Windows allows for profiles and the controller is way better than Logitech's offering IMO.

Vintage

How hard are triggers on this one? I have 310 and while it's a very solid controller overall, the triggers are way too stiff. Played Brothers with it where you basically have to hold both triggers trough the whole game - was so painful.

Nethaniah

Tried it at a friend, it's a good controller, feels decent quality-wise, can also personally confirm that the non rumble / wired version is complete garbage so make sure that you do not get that one, it sometimes appears as the one talked about in the OP on shops.

xb1 controller + xpadder =

But that's wired only, MS needs to get of their asses.

Soodanim

Gold Member
This thread makes me want to buy one. But then I remember that I already bought a 360 controller, got red up with the clicky shoulder buttons and bad d-pad, and bought a Wii U Pro adapter. I can't keep buying controllers, it's a waste of money.

But I'm sure there's a reason I didn't get one of these controllers. I think I saw a few complaints here on GAF,but I don't remember the specifics. On paper they're the perfect controller though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Tried out someones for a bit but I don't quite like how it feels in my hands and some of the buttons felt odd to me, but otherwise it's a pretty solid controller! I'd recommend getting your hands on one first to see if they work for you.

c0de

Ugh... I wish I had forgotten about that Sidewinder. That horrid d-pad, if you can even call it that, still gives me nightmares.

I used it mainly for emualtors but this gamepad just wasn't able to be played in games like Street Fighter. Doing hadokens was generally impossible to do. For anything non diagonal it was ok (and it had 6 buttons in 2 rows which was fine to me as I came from Saturn back then).

Koren

Tried out someones for a bit but I don't quite like how it feels in my hands and some of the buttons felt odd to me
Same here... I have the wired one, and I don't like it, I think it feels cheap compared to 1st party console pads.

I have some issues with it, too (randomly not recognized), but that may be linked to Linux and not to the pad, although I don't see why.

The profiler is a really neet idea (not new at all, though, i've played with profilers in the late 90s), although as a Linux user, it's not nearly as useful :/

I used it mainly for emualtors but this gamepad just wasn't able to be played in games like Street Fighter. Doing hadokens was generally impossible to do. For anything non diagonal it was ok (and it had 6 buttons in 2 rows which was fine to me as I came from Saturn back then).

I ended up buying a Gravis after that. A much better controller, back in the day.

Talyn

How hard are triggers on this one? I have 310 and while it's a very solid controller overall, the triggers are way too stiff. Played Brothers with it where you basically have to hold both triggers trough the whole game - was so painful.
This was my experience as well with the 310. That and the D-pad wasn't any better than the 360's which sucked really as that was the only reason I bought it. Hope the 710 is better because if not, you might as well just use a 360 pad or whatever else you happen to have around.

SteveWD40

Had one for the tiny dongle (laptop), which was nice, but the triggers were so stiff I went back to the 360 wireless within a week.

The F710 controller was my main PC pad from its release and up to the PS4 launch.

For whatever reason, I get less lag on my DS4 over Bluetooth than I do with the F710 when playing from my couch. Additionally, there are still a couple of glaring issues I always faced with its construction: namely: everything it has in common with the Xbox 360 controller (face buttons, shoulder buttons, and dpad)

SUPARSTARX

I used to use Dualshock 2 + Joypad + Xpadder, now I use Dualshock 4.

But there might be a little bit of input lag in the first configuration.

johntown

Banned
Maybe i got a bad one but mine seems to have connections issues. At random times it loses the connection for a second and my player just spins in a circle. I am less then 10ft away too.

Other than that I do like the controller a lot with the exception of the d-pad. I also ran into issues with the default software provided to map keys etc. The analog sticks would never map correctly (this only really happened for older games) and some buttons would map to two keys or things I never set.

What I like most about the controller is the position of the analogue sticks and the ability to use XI Input or Direct Input. The direct input can be much better for some older games which the 360 controller cannot do. I still keep the controller for games that use the Direct Input and all other games I use the 360 or the DS4.

pixlexic

Banned
Why even use a profiler?

I don't think I've used anything like a profiler for years for any devices.

That's the great thing about pc games now days. There really isn't a need for any of this stuff nowdays.

And 360 controller is still the best pc controller.

johntown

Banned
Why even use a profiler?

I don't think I've used anything like a profiler for years for any devices.

That's the great thing about pc games now days. There really isn't a need for any of this stuff nowdays.

And 360 controller is still the best pc controller.

If you play older games that don't have support profiler software is critical. I use Pinnacle myself. Sometime people don't like the way developers have mapped the keys and sometimes won't let you change them. With profiler software you can map the keys however you prefer.

I have the F510 (the wired model, the only other difference being the color) and I have to say I'm really happy with it.

What kept me off of the F710 is some numerous complaints about the controller repeatedly disconnecting during gameplay.

Since I game in front of my computer, the F510 is perfect for me.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I have the F510 (the wired model, the only other difference being the color) and I have to say I'm really happy with it.

What kept me off of the F710 is some numerous complaints about the controller repeatedly disconnecting during gameplay.

Since I game in front of my computer, the F510 is perfect for me.

Can confirm after dealing with one, and then a replacement, that this is an issue.

Playing it more than 8 feet away from the receiver or playing it too close to another logitech wireless device caused random disconnects.

Their support shrugged their shoulders and told me to get the wired version.

Had no issues with the older model, The Rumblepad 2, which along with the profiler was amazing. Mouse emulation on right stick beat both Xpadder and Pinnacle Profiler.

Septimius

That's one ugly controller. I might end up getting one, but I'm still pretty content with using my PS3 controller. That or my Xbox 360 controller. Just not for d-pad, though.

This controller looks ugly but I've had so many issues with my low-fi pad set up lately that I'm considering upgrading my pad.
Valve is also doing this with their controller. Along with community created configurations.

None the less, great feature for people trying this controller.
Valve's profiler in big picture mode supports all sorts of controllers, not just the Steam controller. At least I think so.

Top Bottom