• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logitech G29 for PS4?

hesido

You're guaranteed support for the console you bought it for. I understand people not wanting to have keep buying wheels every generation but if it's that big a deal then just play PC racers.

"Hidden" costs of console gaming, I suppose. I hope Logitech does the "right for the consumer" thing.

Bluforce

You're guaranteed support for the console you bought it for. I understand people not wanting to have keep buying wheels every generation but if it's that big a deal then just play PC racers.

The problem is that Logitech G racing wheels are not made for console, and they aren't cheap.
They are an investment. I played with my G25 on PC, and PS2&PS3. Why not on PS4 just because of drivers?

Both G25 and G27 are still great (and complete). Even the DFGT is good enough.
We users deserve the compatibility for PS4.

Oemenia

Banned
The problem is that Logitech G racing wheels are not made for console, and they aren't cheap.
They are an investment. I played with my G25 on PC, and PS2&PS3. Why not on PS4 just because of drivers?

This, a G25 from 2004 is still an excellent wheel.

I hope they release a dongle to make their older stuff compatible on the PS4 and XONE.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Now that the fightstick issue has been settled, I'll just say it'd be real shitty if Logitech or Polyphony didn't find a way to get the G27 working on the PS4. They have no obligation to do so, I understand, but I'll know which products that I will financially support based on what happens.

Korezo

No. We really don't, Logitech already provided you with hardware that does exactly what it says it does on the box. They don't owe you anything.

So this new wheel will only work for pc/ps4 then. Why would theybmake it work for ps3 since there's a g25/27.

seems like the same box under this desk.

Ghost-Games-01.jpg

Looking at this again, and that's a G27 shifter on top of the G29 box? I believe in G legacy PS4 support.

paskowitz

Looking at this again, and that's a G27 shifter on top of the G29 box? I believe in G legacy PS4 support.

I am guessing that you will be able to use your G25/27 pedals and shifter if you buy the new wheel... but... you will have to buy the new base at a minimum. I think the catch will be that the full package will be <$300 and the wheel base alone may be something like $150. That would not be too painful for the majority of people to upgrade to.

akileese

I am guessing that you will be able to use your G25/27 pedals and shifter if you buy the new wheel... but... you will have to buy the new base at a minimum. I think the catch will be that the full package will be <$300 and the wheel base alone may be something like $150. That would not be too painful for the majority of people to upgrade to.

You have no idea how happy this would make if it's true.

Piggus

Looks nice, but I wish Logitech wheels were a bit bigger. One of many reasons why I bought a Fanatec instead.

Also if it's using gears instead of a belt, then lol.

If it's advertised as such then yes it is. G27 was never advertised to work with PS4. It's kind of like the backwards compatibility that we lost for PS2 and PS3 games. It'd be nice as an act of good will, but we're not entitled to it.

Bluforce

If it's advertised as such then yes it is. G27 was never advertised to work with PS4. It's kind of like the backwards compatibility that we lost for PS2 and PS3 games. It'd be nice as an act of good will, but we're not entitled to it.

Look, I have the G25 and not G27.
In the box there is: "Compatible with Win XP, Win Vista, Sony PS2".

So what? It shouldn't be compatible with Win 8 or PS3?
But it is!

I cannot understand why we have to justify the awful choices of big companies.

Bluforce

And to be clear, I'm not saying that Logitech MUST give us compatibility, I'm saying that we deserve it.

Racing wheel market is a niche. If you lose fidelity, you lose everything.

andshrew

Look, I have the G25 and not G27.
In the box there is: "Compatible with Win XP, Win Vista, Sony PS2".

So what? It shouldn't be compatible with Win 8 or PS3?
But it is!

I cannot understand why we have to justify the awful choices of big companies.

Just to add some context to this...

A device driver and application written for XP can still be compatible - unmodified - with Windows 10 today. ie. there's been no continued effort required on Logitech's part to keep the wheels working.

We know that Sony took a different approach with the PS4 and that it doesn't have the broad USB device compatibility support that their previous consoles had so the reality is that it will take an amount of effort to get the older wheels working.

I would like to think that from the work they're now doing on this new wheel that it will happen but that it's best to keep expectations in check.

Although I really don't want to buy a new wheel, I'd be up for this. Bastards!

Really enjoying DriveClub but keep not playing it because I want to with a wheel.....

My name is Kenneth V., I understand that you would like assistance with your G27 Racing Wheel.

As for the moment, we currently don't have a definite timeframe on when our racing wheel will be supported on PS4. But yes, we are already on the process of incorporating our gaming wheel to PS4. But mainly we will be focusing on the G27 only and later model.

For future reference your case reference number is 00705258. This will allow us to quickly find the contact history when you need additional help. If we do not receive a reply, your support request will eventually be closed and set to "solved". A survey will be sent to you to gather your feedback.

To contact us by phone or obtain additional information (FAQ's, Forum, Manuals, etc.) please visit support.logitech.com

Best regards,
Kenneth V.
Logitech Customer Care

So G27 and G29 support only.

Is that G27 box a new shifter with the bogus security chip in it to add PS4 compatibility?

ps3ud0

How can't they support the G25 when they can the G27 - pretty much identical so cant see how one is supported and not the other?

ps3ud0 8)

SmokyDave

Wait... the G25 is practically the same wheel... why support the G27 and not the G25?
I wonder if it's because the G27 is still being sent out there for sale? I only bought mine two weeks ago, brand new, and if they don't throw me a bone, it'll likely be the last Logitech wheel I ever buy.

pr0cs

Well I hope it's true, it would be nice to use my G27 on the ps4, I was under the impression that I would not be playing any racing games this gen since I refuse to buy another wheel.
/Crossing fingers that Logitech and Sony do the right thing and add some legacy support for some of their more premium wheels.
It certainly would provide incentive to play driving games on ps4 instead of xbone if their wheel support was more open ended

Reportedly the G29 will be licensed to Sony for use on the PS3 and PS4, meaning the wheel won't be compatible or released for PC. There'll only be one model of the wheel on offer - with a RRP of 189 Euros - with a gear shift add-on to be sold separately.

An official announcement looks set to be around mid to late June, potentially putting a reveal right slap in the middle of E3, with a release possibly following shortly after.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/318504/Report:+Logitech's+new+G29+Racing+Wheel+detailed/

flereinformationerlogqhs23.jpg

A couple things worth pointing out

- Their point about it not being PC compatible because it's officially licensed by Sony makes no sense as there are other officially licensed peripherals that are compatible with the PC (like the T500 and T300). I think all the official license means is that you can't advertise that it works on the PC on the box.

- If that price is right, then the wheel is much cheaper than any of us thought it was going to be. So cheap that I have a hard time believing that it's accurate.

- The rumored reveal period could be lined up with two events for a certain franchise since it matches E3 and the Pikes Peak Hill Climb dates.

So probably $199 in the US then. That's pretty sweet, as I sold my DFGT a few years ago.

Wish there was something in this price range for Xbox One though. Forza needs some wheel love....

Mush

- If that price is right, then the wheel is much cheaper than any of us thought it was going to be. So cheap that I have a hard time believing that it's accurate.
So about $20 more than the DFGT (I'm using the French Logitech site as a comparison as I don't know the RRP for the DFGT in EU)
- The rumored reveal period could be lined up with two events for a certain franchise since it matches E3 and the Pikes Peak Hill Climb dates.
Well why else would they have those adjustment dials on there? I asked this before in the GT6 OT but are there any other games that use them? Why else would they release a PS4 compatible wheel with specific controls for a game that hasn't even been released on the system
yet.

- Their point about it not being PC compatible because it's officially licensed by Sony makes no sense as there are other officially licensed peripherals that are compatible with the PC (like the T500 and T300). I think all the official license means is that you can't advertise that it works on the PC on the box.
This is quite strange indeed, because even the updated DFGT box has a big fat PC label on it.

logitech-gaming-drivig8jth.jpg

So about $20 more than the DFGT (I'm using the French Logitech site as a comparison as I don't know the RRP for the DFGT in EU)

It'd be a $50 difference in the US if it's $200 like SolarMystic said. And it's $100 less than the G25/7. The price doesn't make sense even with the lack of a gearshift.

Well why else would they have those adjustment dials on there? I asked this before in the GT6 OT but are there any other games that use them? Why else would they release a PS4 compatible wheel with specific controls for a game that hasn't even been released on the system
yet.

It is a PS3/4 wheel, so it would still work with GT5/6. But I don't think anyone is going to be buying it for those. As far as I know GT is the only game that takes advantage of those dials, and that's because it was programmed for the wheel

This is quite strange indeed, because even the updated DFGT box has a big fat PC label on it.

logitech-gaming-drivig8jth.jpg

So it doesn't even prevent you from mentioning PC compatibility. I'm not sure what Gamereactor was talking about.

Unlike other parts of the world, the DFGT is no longer officially sold in the US. I think they'll kill the G27 here too, and this G29 will be their one, single wheel. $200 is very fair price, and most importantly msrp willl still be comfortably under most TX/T300 sale prices.

It should sell very well.

MisterJoynt

Neo Member
I'll be holding my breath until this becomes truly official, but with a possible $200 USD price point, I would be very very excited for this wheel. I would only hold off if the build quality wasn't on par with my G25.

chadskin

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00YUOVBZK/

G29 Driving Force is the definitive sim racing hardware for the latest PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 and PC titles. Feature dual-motor force feedback and helical gearing for quiet, smooth steering. Stainless steel paddle shifters and RPM/Shift indicator LEDs help you make crisp, fluid gear transitions without taking your eyes off the track. The separate pedal unit gives you natural, responsive control with a nonlinear brake pedal. Driving Force is built for comfort and durability with hand-stitched leather and stainless steel components. Built-in clamps and bolt points allow the wheel to be mounted securely to a table or racing rig, minimising shifting or wobbling during aggressive manoeuvres.

Confirms PC as well, good to hear. &#8364;408 price is probably just a placeholder but yeah, it's coming. :)

Shaneus

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00YUOVBZK/

Confirms PC as well, good to hear. €408 price is probably just a placeholder but yeah, it's coming. :)
Betcha it uses slightly/barely retooled G27 drivers. No need to change them, I guess.

It's a shame it's not belt driven.
That would increase the price, and put it firmly in the ballpark price of Thrustmaster wheels. I can see why they're sticking with the old manufacturing... same parts, cheaper to make. Just keep doing the same basic thing they've done for the last 10ish years.

Shaneus

Does anyone have this wheel and is it simply a g27 reskinned?

How does it compare to the TX300?
From what I've heard/read, it seems to use exactly the same gears/system as the G27, just with PS4 support. Oh, and no manual shifter... they charge extra for that.

http://issuu.com/ebconpublishing/docs/simrace-issue06

I reviewed this on page 64. At the time I could only state 'improved rotary encoders' but they've since been confirmed to be Hall sensors. Otherwise the wheel internals are the same. The pedals are better than the G27, which were themselves significantly better than what you get with a T300. As I mentioned at the end of the review, they offer value in different ways. But if you want to compare just the steering/FFB mechanisms, then the T300 has the edge.

DieH@rd

Banned

InsideSimRacing has a video review of G29, and they found it extremely similar to G27. Pedals are better, new rim with PS buttons is much better, and software-wise the best feature is full PS4 support.

andshrew

I had Logi DFP, G25, G27 and now I have Fanatec CSW. I also tried some Thrustmasters.
Yes, G27 is shit COMPARED to some other wheels, including Thrustmaster T300. And G29 is just overpriced G27.

This seems a bit OTT? Everything I've read suggests G29 is a pretty decent all round package if you need a PS4 wheel and that while the T300 wheel is very good the pedals are naff requiring you to spend another £100 or so on top.

Top Bottom