• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOL, ROFL, LMAO, LMFAO. Different ways to get laughing across the internet. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we have all these means/shorthands of getting the point across that something is funny on the internet? It honestly all boils down to the same thing. It's just now in my boredom and free time before class that I took the time to notice the many variants. I mean, I know why short hand exists, but damn. Even when I'm texting, I try not to use short hands and I get berated for that shit.

"Why are you talking like you're writing an essay?" etc.

Is there some sort of hierarchy of "funny" levels? LOL -> ROFL -> LMAO -> LMFAO -> HAHAHA?

I personally believe that "lol" is kind of dead these days. I personally respond to instant messages with a "lol" when I don't even know what else to say to that person or I'm bored with that person. Honestly, that could go for any of the variants now that I think about it.

Do people still type "lulz", the douchey based god version of "lol?"

Do we really "laugh out loud" when we type "lol?" Do we really roll on the floor laughing when we type "rofl" as a response to something?

Isn't laughing in Japan "www" or variants of w's over and over again? Why can't it be as simple as that?

Leunam

spindashing said:
Do we really "laugh out loud" when we type "lol?" Do we really roll on the floor laughing when we type "rofl" as a response to something?

No, but we also don't spit coffee all over our monitors or keyboards.

Leunam said:
No, but we also don't spit coffee all over our monitors or keyboards.

I've always assumed people were drinking stuff simultaneously while at work/school while watching funny stuff or something. Hell, I laugh at the "All over my face" comments made here and there by GAF, but now that you bring this up, that's another thing that gets me.

ep85

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud_001.jpg

Seriously though, I also use "lol" when I don't have anything to say and whatever the other person said is remotely funny. When I genuinely laugh I usually type "haha"

Shorthand is just a "kids these days" thing. It has become mainstream and it is always funny when older generations use it in the wrong context.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
spindashing said:
?
I don't post LOL unless I really laugh.

NotWii

Banned
To me, there's a hierarchy

heh is a sign of amusement, no audible laugh, gets a physical smile
lol gets a short audible laugh, less than 10 seconds
LOL is sustained laughter for more than 10seconds

And the other longer laughs are longer, harder laughs where I run out of breath or my face gets sore from laughing and smiling too much

Whoompthereitis said:
I still use 'ha ha'. Boring, I know.

I'm guilty of doing that too.

There's also one version of "BRB" right? I get that. Sometimes people can lie but still.

Honestly another shorthand that grinds my gears is "AFK" -- or "away from keyboard"

It's like how are you typing that when you're supposedly away from the keyboard? =(

chinner I will punch your ass

edit: and then there's "lawl." when were shorthands actually pronounced like words? So, then "brb" is pronounced like "barb"? =(

speaking of jajajajaja, I remember not knowing what that meant ages ago after seeing some people use that in an MMORPG I used to play.

I thought it was another warped version of "lol" so I started using it myself.

My friend took note of it once and stopped me.

"Why are you saying jajajaja? You don't speak spanish."

=( Well I wouldn't be so lost and confused if everyone just kept the shorthand for laughing to one thing god damn it

I'm glad no one's using lulz anymore, by the way. That was real shitty. I just wanted to punch whoever used that in the mouth, for real.

Entropia

No One Remembers
It's gotten to the point now where I use "lol" to get a point across that what I am saying is seemingly funny or that I am at least acknowledging what the other person is saying. If I am truly laughing, I'll usually exaggerate the "Lol" and probably include "omg" and such.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that it's "aloud" not "out loud".

ampere

Sometimes I'm laughing IRL, sometimes I'm not

Ex: girl getting hit with her own melons, actually laughing

kudo tsunoda said something dumb, not actually laughing but I'd type 'lol' or something

As for tiers of laughter intensity :lol don't worry about it, man

cwmartin said:
why exactly is www simpler than lol? or is it the japanese superiority complex talking

no no. www is just w's while lol is an "L" "o" and "L".

I just meant that it's simpler to type out (lol).

Then again the www thing wouldn't make sense to english speakers anyhow, it was just an example.

Mr. Sam

I just use "I laughed" or some variation thereof - and only when I actually did laugh; even if it's the tiniest guffaw or snigger. I feel it gets the message across.

Suitcase Test said:
You seem like a nice and upbeat person.

a nice and upbeat person set off by a warped version of "lol" yes.

I don't even remember the last time I sat on a chair DYING in laughter as a response to something said on the internet or a YouTube video. "Lol" is dead.

Stitch

Gold Member
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!

Mr. Sam

spindashing said:
I don't even remember the last time I sat on a chair DYING in laughter as a response to something said on the internet or a YouTube video.

The Quantum of Solace Photoshop thread. Also, the gifs thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom