• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOL, ROFL, LMAO, LMFAO. Different ways to get laughing across the internet. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chao

Stitch said:
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!
I don't get the w shit, why do japanese people find that funny?

Mad_Ban

I tend to use "XD" on MSN or other IM programs. I might use "lol" for courtesy and a "LOL" for when I actually am amused.

On GAF? ":lol "

Ezalc

huehuehuehuheuheuhue and rsrsrsrsrs, Are the supposed Brazilian versions of lol. Either way I use lol if I smile or think something is amusing, lmao when I actually laugh. Then if I laugh a lot I just use ahahaha or bahahahahaha.

JodyAnthony said:
I use "heh", "haha", or simclis

I counter your simclis with my lqtm or "laughing quietly to myself."

Mad_Ban

Pinko Marx said:
God I hate people that use XD.
YbQxC.gif

Sielys

Leunam said:
No, but we also don't spit coffee all over our monitors or keyboards.

On the other hand, when I type "/monocle" I am in fact scrambling to grab my fallen lens-piece, that was dislodged from my eye socket after I started back at whatever alarming comment I just read. I'm just that classy.

Also, the best laugh is obviously kekekeke.

(._.)

Banned
I only use lmao when I'm actually laughing and lol as a way to imply I'm joking (if I need to). Loathe any variation of lulz, lolz, lawl, etc...

McNei1y

i vary between haha with 2 ha's or haha with an odd number of Hs and an even number of A's... You'll never know what variation I may use next.

(._.) said:
I only use lmao when I'm actually laughing and lol as a way to imply I'm joking (if I need to). Loathe any variation of lulz, lolz, lawl, etc...

I also switch up "lol" for "haha" in IMs/SMS.

I use the 'ha' scale.

Ha = Meh funny
Haha = Somewhat funny
Hahaha = Legitimately funny
Hahahaha =Damn fucking funny
Ahahahaha = Oh god, I can't breathe

jayb

SpectreFire said:
I use the 'ha' scale.

Ha = Meh funny
Haha = Somewhat funny
Hahaha = Legitimately funny
Hahahaha =Damn fucking funny
Ahahahaha = Oh god, I can't breathe

BAhahahaha = ?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
lol - smiling on the inside. means "j/k" or "i get it, i guess."
LOL - might be smiling on the outside.
haha - sarcasm.
hehe - i'm probably smirking, not wanting to lol. I use this the most in IMs.
LMAO - that was funny! might have had an audible laugh.

ROFL - i never use this.

Everything else is a variation. Most of these are just courtesies because text lacks the corresponding body language, facial expressions, and eye movements meant to express the same exact thing. It's being nice, actually. lol.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
PantherLotus said:
lol - smiling on the inside. means "j/k" or "i get it, i guess."
LOL - might be smiling on the outside.
haha - sarcasm.
hehe - i'm probably smirking, not wanting to lol. I use this the most in IMs.
LMAO - that was funny! might have had an audible laugh.

ROFL - i never use this.

Everything else is a variation. Most of these are just courtesies because text lacks the corresponding body language, facial expressions, and eye movements meant to express the same exact thing. It's being nice, actually. lol.

Getting the tone of a post/message across is tough without some form of lol or smiley. I get what you mean with this. ^_^

For me lulz is more a sarcastic lol. Like "this guy on gaf just asked people if they ever killed someone lulz".

lol means it's funny but not AHHAHAHAHA funny. It's just a funny thing. Lmao means it's a little funnier but you're not actually laughing still. But when I type in ahahahahahah it means I'm genuinely laughing.

Saty

Just like you have many variations of greetings and goodbyes. Communication (of all forms) isn't only about stricly conveying a message.

Arthrus

Not 100% to do with the OP, but...

They are often a bizarre form of punctuation that fills a niche that the period, question mark, and exclamation mark don't. This is particularly good when using the more casual non-capitalized sentences over an IM, and smileys fill a similar role. For example, instead of putting a period at the end, or something followed by a comma at the beginning, lol can sometimes be used. Like with anything, too much of one thing becomes annoying, but with variety it can be good!

Lebron said:
I don't know, but I'll be ROFL when AJ gets eliminated

...wait, I made myself sad.

you sir are an ass.

I guess there is a hierarchy of laughing levels on the internet, which really doesn't need to exist, as I said before. Maybe I am looking into this too much...

I also dislike people who use "xD" but I've used it when I was younger. Kinda silly and immature if you ask me. Real men "lol."

trinest

LOL - For when nothing else can be said
:lol - (my custom lol smile) - something might be funny.
haahaa - sarcastic.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I never ever ever use lol. Just reading it sounds stupid, and it makes anything else said with it stupid as well. Its not really a reflection on the person saying it, so much that I hear everything I read as if a voice says it, and so hearing lol aloud....just sounds dumb.
If I can't express my emotion properly though just the text, then occasionally I'll use >_>, T_T, :p, and ;)

Yeah, some people consider those stupid as well, but the fact that they aren't spoken words makes it better for me.

I used ">_>" a lot, too. Bad habit which I broke out of. Honestly, I don't use any "faces" like those anymore other than the smiley faces here on GAF.

Wait, scratch that -- I use "=(".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom