• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London 2012 Summer Olympics |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Ouch, I'm going to the Women's Diving Finals on Thursday. It finishes at 8.30pm and I want to get there in time to see the 200m finals at 8.55pm. Hmm what to do
If it's 45 minutes round trip with pictures, you can probably make it going one way. Maybe skip the medal ceremony or something...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finally a decent medal chance for Belgium again. Medal race for Laser Radial happening now, go Evi Van Acker!

PaulLFC

Thanks for the Alertbox guide mclem!

It's just told me Athletics has updated availability (which it has) but at the moment the page is saying tickets are unavailable. I guess they haven't released the tickets yet but have got the page ready for them or something like that.

numble

That's cool, but I don't get why he says it's based on average speed, then starts mentioning final times? So is it based on the finishing times or average speed?
I think they average out the speed based on finishing time, and then see where thy would've been at 9.63s.

mclem

Hopefully I can squeeze in last night's Olympics Tonight before the Tweddling starts.

You wouldn't think you could have a 'bad boy' in sailing, would you?

Dommo

Little bit late, but so happy to see Australia rock that three in Basketball to win us the match. So satisfying.

PaulLFC

http://vimeo.com/46824253

(I'm sorry, I have no clue)
Was trying to find this
3AQmK.gif

mclem

can anyone explain sailing to me?

Ten races. You score where you place, so low scores are good. Worst race is excluded, remaining nine totalled up, lowest ten scorers go through to the final medal race for double points. Gold goes to the lowest overall score.

This does result in quirks where if a participant has a strong lead, they may work to influence other competitors by robbing their wind rather than necessarily pushing forwards. Ben Ainslie did that a couple of days ago - forced his main opposition down to third (while still winning himself) meaning he only had to *win* the final race to get gold, rather than needing his opponent to do poorly as well.

Holy shit at Olympics Tonight framing Murray's gold in "28 days later" terms!

This does result in quirks where if a participant has a strong lead, they may work to influence other competitors by robbing their wind rather than necessarily pushing forwards. Ben Ainslie did that a couple of days ago - forced his main opposition down to third (while still winning himself) meaning he only had to *win* the final race to get gold, rather than needing his opponent to do poorly as well.

Ainslie didn't even have to win the race - he had to come ahead of that Danish guy and hope the Dutch guy wasn't better than 3rd if they were both last.

Ainslie and the Dane came in dead last in the last race I'm pretty sure and still won gold/silver.

Crazy.

krYlon

It's amazing how much tactics seem to come into play with sailing. It's not something you would expect.

Oh and don't make ben ainslie angry, you wouldn't like him angry.

incredible_hulk.jpg

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Typical Ireland, fourth is our destiny. Four girls three medals, only one result.

Luckily "fourth" gets you a bronze in boxing, which is why it's our main Olympic sport.

Go Katie.

PaulLFC

Typical Ireland, fourth is our destiny. Four girls three medals, only one result.

Luckily "fourth" gets you a bronze in boxing, which is why it's our main Olympic sport.

Go Katie.
So do they give out two bronze medals in boxing, and the losers of the semi-finals are joint third?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom