• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lonely Planet's top 10 travel destinations 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCX

I'm surprised Bordeaux was rated as number one. I went there for a quick city break before last Christmas and while it was a very pretty and walkable city, I wouldn't say it was the #1 city I'd ever been to. It's definitely worth visiting if you've already seen all of the bigger cities in Europe though.

Lisbon is very deserved as well, it's pretty, it's cheap, the climate is good and it's easy to get to from anywhere in Europe. Very underrated.
The list isn't about what's the best city to go to in world. It's about what's the most interesting city to travel to next year for some reason (maybe it hasn't really been discovered by tourists yet, maybe there's something interesting happening in 2017, etc).

Forkball

*salutes*

Canada #1 again is no surprise. Our maple syrup is the envy of the world, our milk is Packaged in state of the art containers and our love for our fellow man is as Canadian as our love for hockey.

Unlike those smelly Americans.

I've eaten some maple syrup candy from Canada. I don't know how you guys have teeth.

Rad-

I'm Finnish and what is this. Living here is alright but as a travel destination Finland is boring as fuck. Expensive too so you have to spend quite a bit of dough even for a short visit.

I've eaten some maple syrup candy from Canada. I don't know how you guys have teeth.

Universal health care brah.

I dont think Health care covers dental, I could be wrong and if so I have missed out on a lot of money.

It doesn't if you're over 18 or under 65 for routine check ups, but certain surgeries are covered

Limited coverage for vision care and dental services

Vision care varies by province or territory. For example, in Ontario, annual eye examinations (but not eyeglasses or contact lenses) are covered by OHIP for persons under 20 and those 65 and over. OHIP also covers a major eye exam once every 12 months for persons aged 20 to 64 who have medical conditions (such as diabetes) requiring regular eye examinations. Otherwise, eye examinations are not covered for persons 20 to 64.[113] Although dental health may affect overall health, routine dental care is not covered. Certain dental surgery, when performed in hospital, is covered.[113][114] Provinces and territories may offer specific programs for children. For example, Healthy Smiles Ontario is a program for children 17 and under in Ontario who do not have access to any form of dental coverage,[115] e.g. through private insurance provided by a parent's employer.

RocknRola

Dad was born on Flores. Can confirm it is GORGEOUS.

It is! The Açores are quite the paradise (so is Madeira, but the Açores are bit more "unknown" even in mainland Portugal).

I would give you my soul for Pastel de Nata.

5057941.jpg

I order this combo more times than I care to admit :p

Salvadora

Backpacking Southeast Asia for the next sixth months in a couple of weeks and seriously considering adding Myanmar to my itinerary.

Very untouched by tourism, for now.

shamanick

I guess so, but it's so large it sounds weird to recommend the entire country. Also not sure what Trudeau has to do with the scenery! And while I haven't seen that much of Canada, all of the natural landscapes seem kind of generic as far as beauty goes. It's always some lake with mountains in BC or wherever, but nothing about it seems unique to Canada / not something you couldn't find in Finland or places in Europe or wherever.

I'm just jaded from living in Ottawa for most of my life, but I've always thought Canada had nothing that great to offer in terms of tourism. If you want cities, go anywhere else, and as for nature, I'd rather go to Switzerland or something.

It's also too young to offer anything historically interesting and too lacking in population to compete with other culturally interesting places as far as museums or whatever else.

I am so confused why we are treating Trudeau like our first black president

Lisbon being in the top 10 cities warms my heart.

It is a good all round city with things to do, eat, drink, relaxe, chill, good transportation, not too crowded, just right

I liked Los Angeles when I went there, but wat?

No, seriously, what?
Cool downtown, cool extra radius (dat griffith park), but the middle part is horrible (and its huge).
Cheap big food is another plus, but not for everyone.
Counting the surrounding towns is much better but is not Los Angeles per se.

Are they counting like everything surrounding on the equation, not only the city? and even then....

GCX

I liked Los Angeles when I went there, but wat?

No, seriously, what?
Cool downtown, cool extra radius (dat griffith park), but the middle part is horrible (and its huge).
Cheap big food is another plus, but not for everyone.
The surrounding towns are much better but is not Los Angeles per se.

Are they counting like everything surrounding on the equation, not only the city? and even then....
Here's their reasoning:
Lonely Planet said:
Despite its reputation as a land of celebrities, health fanatics and all-around superficiality, LA has been gaining steam as a cultural destination while becoming more accessible than ever. The 2016 Metro expansion has made getting from Downtown to Santa Monica and everywhere in between much easier; city initiative Car Free LA helps tourists navigate without wheels; and almost 50 new hotels are in the works. This isn’t just a beach town, either; it’s a commerce capital, where movie producers and finance types mingle over sashimi and kale salads. East Coasters are moving here in droves for the sunshine and a more sustainable lifestyle.

Dazzler

As a Canadian I dont really see why anyone would travel to Canada. Unless you go to a like Newfoundland or Banff the rest is pretty meh.

I moved to Canada six years ago (Vancouver), any places I've travelled to have been amazing.

Toronto is one of the world's best cities, Vancouver is jaw-dropping, as is Banff and parts of Vancouver Island

Canada is a cool country and all but I don't get how it could be #1, other than Lonely Planet wanting to grandstand for Justin Trudeau. Like 30% of the reason Lonely Planet gives for visiting Canada is that it has a hip, popular young leader. That makes Canada a cool place for sure.

Glad to see half of myself being represented on this list. I haven't been much, but I love Dominica. Hopefully will get back soon. Also the Indian River was in Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and my mum and aunt were flipping their shit over it (they went just to see it haha)

As a Canadian, I'm don't get why Canada is #1. Unless u like nature stuff, there isn't a lot to do.

Do people like maple syrup and smoked salmon that much? And I lol'd at using Justin Trudeau as a reason. Wtf

The Pope

Cape Town, isn't the crime rate sky high there?
No but yes. As a tourist you will be fine. Cape Town is no more dangerous than most US cities. Just stay out of the informal settlements/townships. Kayelitsha Township is a wonderful place to visit with a tour group, you just have to watch your back.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
As a Canadian, I'm don't get why Canada is #1. Unless u like nature stuff, there isn't a lot to do.

Do people like maple syrup and smoked salmon that much? And I lol'd at using Justin Trudeau as a reason. Wtf

there isn't a lot to do in any of these places for people who already live there. people travel so they can spend a moment pretending like life could be different.

Canada may be good to live and work but it's boring as fuck.

I don't get why it's even on the list.

I live in Montreal, people who are young and love to drink like it but I find Montreal to be disjointed, dysfunctional and businesses close way too early

besides some food joints and bars, Montreal is a dead city at night.

I get it, you are from Massachusetts, you turned 18, you want to drink and go to strip clubs, yeah Montreal is fun for you.

But it gets boring real fast and it is lame for anyone 35 and above.

For me a good city is a place where you can get out of your apartment and get food, coffee and have fun on the fly

zelas

"The Pope will be visiting soon."

"We have a new IMAX theater and Hard Rock Cafe."

This website doesn't make very compelling arguments as to why these places are more of a destination to go to over others.

I live in Montreal, people who are young and love to drink like it but I find Montreal to be disjointed, dysfunctional and businesses close way too early

I get it, you are from Massachusetts, you turned 18, you want to drink and go to strip clubs, yeah Montreal is fun for you.

Hey I went to Montreal when I was 18! (from Toronto). It was a lot of fun, this was 9 years ago but I liked the city a lot more than Toronto. Much cleaner and nicer looking. If I were to recommend coming from a big US city like New York or Chicago, Montreal > Toronto.

For me a good city is a place where you can get out of your apartment and get food, coffee and have fun on the fly

I guess that is why they recommend Canada as a whole but not any of its individual cities. There is more than enough to see if you make a road trip between the Niagara, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City. Especially for someone like me who likes nature, the architecture, visit the churches and see some pretty places. Maybe not worthy of #1, but it deserves to be in the list

Smh at all the Canadians ITT denouncing the results.

Turn in your hockey sticks, all of you.

I live in Montreal too! But I disagree with the whole city shutting down at night, are you downtown or out in the burbs like longuiell or DDO?

You want to see a city literally stop at 5pm? Ottawa

BeesEight

I guess so, but it's so large it sounds weird to recommend the entire country. Also not sure what Trudeau has to do with the scenery! And while I haven't seen that much of Canada, all of the natural landscapes seem kind of generic as far as beauty goes. It's always some lake with mountains in BC or wherever, but nothing about it seems unique to Canada / not something you couldn't find in Finland or places in Europe or wherever.

I'm just jaded from living in Ottawa for most of my life, but I've always thought Canada had nothing that great to offer in terms of tourism. If you want cities, go anywhere else, and as for nature, I'd rather go to Switzerland or something.

It's also too young to offer anything historically interesting and too lacking in population to compete with other culturally interesting places as far as museums or whatever else.

Have you actually been to the Rockies? I did a road trip through them two years ago and it was definitely breathtaking. Yes, living in the country will take some of the "shine" off visiting certain areas but Canada does have some absolutely wonderful spots to visit that hold up as tourist locations. I'd recommend Lake Louise in the same breath as Ireland's Giant's Causeway (I might actually prefer Lake Louise to be honest).

And you're not going to find wild bison herds on the sides of roads in Finland.

Sorry, as a Canadian, #1 is making me cackle. Hell no.

Yea, nothin wrong with Canada, I just don't see it as a top destination. I don't understand what would be exciting to travelers. Toronto especially, save your money and go to New York (if you must travel to a major city). Large cities aren't Canada's strong suit.

Canada in first place, Myanmar and Columbia all hurt this list. There are simply thousands of better places to travel to.

moggio

Banned
Los Angeles is one of the Top 10 worst places I've ever visited. Creeped me out, I couldn't wait to leave.

Ditto Cape Town actually.

I'm not much of a traveller though. I tend to find it a massive inconvenience.

orochi91

Canada finally getting the recognition it deserves.

Also, lol @ all the Canadians in this thread downplaying their own country.

This is so so wrong. I actually used to think the same, until I started going out and exploring. Just in Ontario you'll find some crazy shit that you never knew was here. Hell, just go camping at one of the bajjilion lakes around Ottawa and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Switzerland is beautiful, I've been there. But Canada has that scenery too in BC and Alberta, and the hiking there is probably the best in the world.

This whole "lolol Canada" mentality that Canadians have needs to end. You guys just need to go out more and see what your country actually has to offer. It's funny that locals don't see it yet when tourists come, they are always amazed when they see Canada's pristine beauty.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cherry trees, skiing, and sushi in Vancouver. Snowboarding and hiking in the Rockies. Food and fun at the Calgary Stampede. Prairie hospitality and gorgeous views of the horizon. Aurora borealis and kayaking up north. Concerts and expos in Toronto. Embassies and museums in Ottawa, plus skating the Rideau Canal. The Old Port of Montreal, the BioDome, Quebec City for old buildings. Some of the country's best food and music in Montreal. Magnetic Hill. The Halifax busker's festival. The Bay of Fundy. Fishing in Labrador. Hiking Gros Monte and visiting Viking settlements. Getting screeched in on George Street.

Lighthouses, moose crossing the road, dozens of different kinds of cuisine, and friendly people everywhere.

Canada is only boring if you're boring.

Dominica may be halfway down the top 10, but it wins the award for best flag by a mile. Can't post bc I'm on mobile, but maybe someone else can.

Although the write up glosses over the main reason Colombus would recognize only Dominica: it's the only place the Spanish didn't succeed in their genocide of the Arawaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom