• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lonely Planet's top 10 travel destinations 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clydefrog

If you can, do visit Porto. It offers different things, despite sharing many similarities (river + ocean based cities) Also you HAVE to eat a Francesinha while in Porto!

Francesinha-rapida-moda-Porto.jpg

Ewww, gross. Do I have to?

Mongolia was spectacular. So untouched and beautiful. Go now before it turns all touristy. Seeing the Gobi desert, lush and green from the rains, and the frozen waterfalls under a warm summer blue sky is unreal.

Can't believe Lonely Planet is boasted about a shitty Hard Rock Café. That's the LAST thing the country needs or wants.

Agreed. Was there this past July. Spent two weeks traveling on horseback through the Altai Mountains. Amazing place with wonderful people. Not going to get too touristy very soon though. It's too hard to get there for most people, and it is a remote and wild place, things tourists don't care for. UB was surprisingly modern, safe, and clean. Outside the city there are few amenities to be had.

Pedrito

The problem with Canada is that the sights are way too spread out and a lot of them are difficult to reach without a car. Public transports suck outside of the big cities and air travel is super expensive.

If I was a foreigner, Canada wouldn't make my top 50 places to go for this reason only.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The problem with Canada is that the sights are way too spread out and a lot of them are difficult to reach without a car. Public transports suck outside of the big cities and air travel is super expensive.

If I was a foreigner, Canada wouldn't make my top 50 places to go for this reason only.

Well sure except the drives are scenic and low traffic and part of the experience. It's only a barrier if you literally can't drive.

Good thing there's a ton of stuff to do in the cities as well... The scenic stuff is just the maple syrup on the already delicious pancake that is Canada

SoundLad

Have you actually been to the Rockies? I did a road trip through them two years ago and it was definitely breathtaking. Yes, living in the country will take some of the "shine" off visiting certain areas but Canada does have some absolutely wonderful spots to visit that hold up as tourist locations. I'd recommend Lake Louise in the same breath as Ireland's Giant's Causeway (I might actually prefer Lake Louise to be honest).

And you're not going to find wild bison herds on the sides of roads in Finland.

But you might bump into wild reindeer herds instead.

Well good thing you can rent a car for like $20 a day if you want to go somewhere far from the city. Canadians really don't understand how great their country is from a tourism perspective

I'm Canadian and I won't downplay our country like others in this thread. The most memorable place I've been in all my visits was Banff, Alberta. Nothing quite describes waking up in a small city surrounded by foresty mountains on every side. One day I hope to visit some small towns in the northern reaches of Ontario or the territories. Gimmicky landmarks and buildings don't beat seeing untouched landscapes, and Canada has a lot of untouched landscapes.

GCX

This whole "lolol Canada" mentality that Canadians have needs to end. You guys just need to go out more and see what your country actually has to offer. It's funny that locals don't see it yet when tourists come, they are always amazed when they see Canada's pristine beauty.
Imo many Finnish people tend to have the same "there's nothing to see and everything's ugly" mentality.

But even if your daily commute isn't that beautiful that doesn't mean there's not a lot of unique stuff to see. People are just blind to it, which is a bit shame because you don't always need to travel thousands of miles to see something nice.

I guess opinions on this topic are going to vary quite a bit as different perspectives and experiences will impact opinions on travel destinations.

Cherry trees, skiing, and sushi in Vancouver. Snowboarding and hiking in the Rockies. Food and fun at the Calgary Stampede. Prairie hospitality and gorgeous views of the horizon. Aurora borealis and kayaking up north. Concerts and expos in Toronto. Embassies and museums in Ottawa, plus skating the Rideau Canal. The Old Port of Montreal, the BioDome, Quebec City for old buildings. Some of the country's best food and music in Montreal. Magnetic Hill. The Halifax busker's festival. The Bay of Fundy. Fishing in Labrador. Hiking Gros Monte and visiting Viking settlements. Getting screeched in on George Street.

Lighthouses, moose crossing the road, dozens of different kinds of cuisine, and friendly people everywhere.

Canada is only boring if you're boring.

Those are great examples, but I can't help thinking that a majority of the locations/activities you have listed are either better experiences (or available in a similar capacity) elsewhere in the world, or are best suited for elderly.

Logistics are also a challenge as a lot of Canada's gems are spread out. If you could do many of the things you listed in a 10 day trip, that would be cool, but it would be a lot of travel time and a bit expensive. If a traveler wanted to go to one province/city and see Canada, I feel like they would feel like they had missed a lot somehow. I've been all over Canada (more so than most people I talk to) and I still feel like I haven't see a lot, haha. Canada is pretty safe though, I can't think of anywhere I would actively avoid and I think that goes a long way for some travelers. Toronto is trying it's damnedest to ruin Canada's safe reputation.

I can't agree with "expos in Toronto" as I've never been to a quality convention/expo/conference in that city. Always seem to cut corners and lack professional production, to the point that you wonder if the organizers think the guests are stupid or naive. Canadians are typically pretty nice people, but I really don't feel like a lot our businesses truly understand "hospitality". I find businesses in the US to be much more welcoming and interested in customer service. Giving a customer something for free (promo or incentive) in Canada seems to be equivalent to financial ruin in the mind of businesses. I digress, though.

I'm Canadian and I won't downplay our country like others in this thread. The most memorable place I've been in all my visits was Banff, Alberta. Nothing quite describes waking up in a small city surrounded by foresty mountains on every side. One day I hope to visit some small towns in the northern reaches of Ontario or the territories. Gimmicky landmarks and buildings don't beat seeing untouched landscapes, and Canada has a lot of untouched landscapes.

This is a great post. Banff is amazing, as is most of the west. Northern Ontario is also amazing, fairly unique, but for some reason I just don't see Ontario (in general) as an international travel destination assuming you can go anywhere.

Santa is not amused.

Whatever, santa is just a shill for the elitist Coca Cola corporation. If that jolly whale had any integrity he would bring back manufacturing to his country instead of outsourcing to the underage sweatshops in the North Pole....."elfs"..... Ya right

jstripes

Banned
Well good thing you can rent a car for like $20 a day if you want to go somewhere far from the city. Canadians really don't understand how great their country is from a tourism perspective

There's also no shortage of tour buses. Especially to big draws like Niagara Falls.

Our rail system may suck, but there's plenty of tour operators standing by to empty your pockets.

jayu26

I am convinced that all Canadians bemoaning in this thread have never actually left the cities and suburbs area. We have one gorgeous country people.

EGOMON

Hmmm I would totally go to Oman. It's my family's neighboring country and I would love to see the contrast.
Please come over we like tourist because we are very quiet country and barely known.
Also don't worry about religions and other stupid backward laws we very much open and welcome all.

Smh at all the Canadians ITT denouncing the results.

Turn in your hockey sticks, all of you.

I live in Montreal too! But I disagree with the whole city shutting down at night, are you downtown or out in the burbs like longuiell or DDO?

You want to see a city literally stop at 5pm? Ottawa

Live in the Plateau, work DownTown. Businesses do shutdown early, only things open are bars and restaurants at night.

I guess I'm bored of seeing the same streets over and over again

Hey I went to Montreal when I was 18! (from Toronto). It was a lot of fun, this was 9 years ago but I liked the city a lot more than Toronto. Much cleaner and nicer looking. If I were to recommend coming from a big US city like New York or Chicago, Montreal > Toronto.
Chicago? But Trump told me "you walk down the street you get shot"..

Seriously though, is the LA traffic as bad as everyone say it is? Is there no public transportation (metro) to ease a tourist's stay? Cause it's honestly one of the first places I'd visit if I come to the US..I dunno why it just seems fascinating

Helmholtz

I live in Canada, have for my whole life, and I love living here. But travelling here? Unless you're from some miserable place, hell no.
Then again, Banff/Jasper is amazing, but I really don't care for the cities I've been to here that much. Decent to live and work in, but I wouldn't really say worth visiting.

I am convinced that all Canadians bemoaning in this thread have never actually left the cities and suburbs area. We have one gorgeous country people.

Agreed, Canada is beautiful (and a great place to live), but this is top 10 travel destinations of 2017 and #1 seems high.

Do they want visitors in Nepal? The stories I hear is that China is trying to destroy Nepals democracy from within. Since the control who gets visas, they've been trying to oust the Nepal people by making chinese immigrants the majority and thus make them vote to become an official part of China. It's actually using immigration as a real weapon, and in the same token, ruin Nepals culture and their independence.

I wonder if they'd want visitors coming to visit. Does it help or benefit them at all?

Myanmar is pretty much Thailand 25 years ago. If you want to see unspoiled South East Asia, nows your chance. Cambodia too.

No full moon parties or a saturation of beer bars, but the backpacker trails of books and movies is very much alive in these places right now. It won't remain that way, change is quick...but for now grab it.
Beautiful countries.

Eridani

Do they want visitors in Nepal? The stories I hear is that China is trying to destroy Nepals democracy from within. Since the control who gets visas, they've been trying to oust the Nepal people by making chinese immigrants the majority and thus make them vote to become an official part of China. It's actually using immigration as a real weapon, and in the same token, ruin Nepals culture and their independence.

I wonder if they'd want visitors coming to visit. Does it help or benefit them at all?

Sounds like you're confusing Nepal with Tibet. Nepal is an independent country and getting a visa isn't very difficult. They definitely want tourists and they get quite a lot of them.

What, I've been to both #1 and 2. What sorcerer made this. That said, I can vouch for Canada, its a beautiful place. Plan to make it an annual trip since its drivable. I'm bewildered by Colombia there though.

Ishida

Banned
Y'all need to visit the Riviera Maya and the places around it (Like Cancún) and Isla Mujeres, here in México.

You'll never want to leave.

mia-reef-isla-mujeres.jpg

yal-ku1.jpg

tulum.jpg

xel-ha-aerea-1.jpg

rio-secreto.jpg

cenote-riviera-maya.jpg

fd719c51ace6b69970665a86d05886c4.jpg

Sounds like you're confusing Nepal with Tibet. Nepal is an independent country and getting a visa isn't very difficult. They definitely want tourists and they get quite a lot of them.

I thought Nepal was under many of the same restrictions as Tibet with the India doing nothing? It's a disagrace with Tibet for sure thou!

That's good to know thou:eek:)

BeesEight

Agreed, Canada is beautiful (and a great place to live), but this is top 10 travel destinations of 2017 and #1 seems high.

Oh, I'm surprised Canada is #1 too. It wouldn't be my choice but I also don't know what the criteria they used was. In terms of travel: the country is stable and safe, the people are friendly, you're fairly well covered in regards to health and lots of countries will have a good monetary exchange rate. I suppose it depends how much weight is put into certain categories.

We definitely lack the history of, say, Egypt or Syria but... well... yeah.

CHC

Can vouch for Nepal, had a life-changing trip there in 2010. And I would probably describe maybe three of all the experiences I've ever had as "life-changing," so make of that what you will.

vern

Just show up at the airport in Kathmandu and fill out a form and pay some cash and you get your visa. Tibet is a different story as has been pointed out. Nepal is about as easy as it gets for visas.

They even handwrite the visa in your passport (on a sticker thing) ... they put the date wrong on my most recent visa and when I left it looked like I overstayed my visa. They ended up just crossing it out and handwriting a different date and letting me leave lol.

They need tourism again, since the earthquakes last year plus political bullshit they've been hurting a bit, but I highly recommend going. Very interesting place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom