• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long-requested sequels that are monumentally disappointing

diffusionx

Gold Member
"long awaited > 3 years in my book, so that disqualifies a lot of games. That said:
Splinter Cell Conviction
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Ultima IX
Sid Meier's Railroads

The new X-Com will probably end up on this list. I don't trust Firaxis anymore.

PastorOfMuppets said:
Oh man, I forgot about this game. It was such a huge departure from the original - another early example of an FPS suffering because it made concessions for the console audience.

Unreal 2 didn't come out on Xbox for a year. The game just sucked, it had nothing to do with console.

iavi

No More Heroes 2.

Taking out the world map did it more bad than good, the forever-fight outside the dept store had me wanting to toss my controller, and the Shinobu sections had me tossing controller. What a let-down.

GrayFoxPL

Red Faction 2

I loved the original and read the dev blog from the beginning all the way to the end of development. The threw the revolutionary geo mod, environment destruction through the window and made one of the shitiest most generic fps'es ever. The only good thing was the opening speach.

Huge fuck you!

They understood their mistake as Guerilla was return to form.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Red Faction 2

I loved the original and read the dev blog from the beginning all the way to the end of development. The threw the revolutionary geo mod, environment destruction through the window and made one of the shitiest most generic fps'es ever. The only good thing was the opening speach.

What's funny is they did it again and killed the franchise for good.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire

The most bring gen with the most boring mons

Come at me, deluded Pokebros.

W52J1.gif

Red Faction 2

Huge fuck you!

They understood their mistake as Guerilla was return to form.

not to disagree on the sentiment, as I felt the same at the same, but I recently replayed it and noticed that geo-mod is still there, but it just rarely leads to a moment of surprise where you discover that you can reach other rooms by going through the floor and such.

Oh, and it has Riddick style recharging health, which I always thought was first used in Riddick and CoD2 (2004), and Halo1's recharging shield (2001). It was odd to see that I remembered that era of games wrong.

oh, and Guerilla is boring me to tears. Sure, the 'destruction missions' are nice, but the actual game as a whole is just so duuuuuulll. I for once was not disappointed with the return of linearity for the last game.

CorvoSol

3rd Birthday. A game with OK gameplay, beautiful visuals and excellent music.

And probably the most disappointing story out of SE in years. As a Parasite Eve fan, this was crushing. =(

As someone who never played the original PE games but played 3rd Birthday, I can only assume all fans of the series were insulted by that game's story. I know I was.

Super Mario Sunshine
Expected to see this. Most of the internet seems to dislike Sunshine, even though IMO it's a great game if you don't 100% it (blue coins...)

No More Heroes 2.
I think I was the only one who liked 2 a little bit more than 1, particularly because of the boss battles and Henry & Shinobu. To each his own, I guess.

Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire
Worse than 4th gen? I don't think so.

Disappointing for me: Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Resident Evil 5, Pokémon Diamond & Pearl, Fallout: New Vegas...

Sibylus

Banned
Portal was great, that gem inside The Orange Box, trapped inside some centre alone, then they changed it into a game about witty remarks and lost that 'I'm all alone' kind of thing. I dunno, I just disappointed in it.
I can't agree with this at all. Portal 1 created a sensation of being watched constantly, up until the third act when you escape into the bowels of the facility. Portal 2 struck a nice balance between the two. You certainly felt watched and pursued at times, but at others you felt completely alone in a long-dead world.

Platy

Does spin offs like Dirge of Cerberus (FF7 sequel!!!) and Soul Calibur Legends (Soul Calibur with motion controls!!!!) counts ? =P

Besides the obvious like Sonic 4, Golden Axe Beast Rider, Tales of Monkey Island, Nights wii, Worms 3D, Bomberman Act Zero and some other stuff, I DO agree with:

New Super Mario Bros, Mario Sunshine,Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, Sam & Max Telltale games, Twilight Princess, Street Fighter 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Resident Evil 5 and I might add Dark Souls to this.

YES, they were monumentaly dissapointing ... but this is because those games had an amount of Hype and "GIVE ME A SEQUEEEEL" that no game should ever need to have because it is borderline impossible to survive this unless you are the second coming of chuck norris.

That said,now that we can clearly judge then without hype, they are all awesome games.

Why dont some of you understand the definition of long requested? The thread title should just be sequels you didnt like because so many of you are too stupid to read.

Beth Cyra

Dissidia Final Fantasy, or more yet Dissidia 012.

Alot of fans love the idea of Cloud and Squall fighting it out, or even what it would be like with Cloud and Sephiroth fighting on the same side.

Well they finally make it possible for not only one of these, but fucking both of them to happen......Only for them to come up with a reason for Cloud to attack Sephiroth anyways despite it being played out and never let Cloud and Squall even see each other.

One of the most hyped times I've ever had for a game was seeing Cloud on Chaos's side, and then they pull the shit they did.

Boogiepop

Probably a bit of stretch on these, but still:
Final Fantasy XII: This one is definitely more that it just didn't mesh with me personally. The battle system just felt too loose and uninvolved for me, and the grindy nature of the game (assuming you don't know how to break it, which I didn't) actually made me fearful of having to grind in RPGs for a bit. (Fortunately, I somehow stumbled into Etrian Odyssey II not too long afterwards, which cured me of that.)

Sonic Heroes: This one, however, was a piece of crap. Having gotten really into the Adventure games (they were awful, yes, but the Chao garden and decent Sonic levels managed to distract me), but god damn did this thing end up a glitchy, poorly designed, unfun mess. I mean, it took me hours before the damn final boss because I kept either getting killed by getting slightly too far and triggering his attack which charges at you while going off a ramp (of course leading to instant death), or otherwise just randomly becoming invisible or glitching through stuff.

And this one definitely doesn't meet the qualifications, but Megaman Battle Network 4 was just incredibly disappointing for me. 3 did so many great things and was stuffed with content, only for 4 to come out and significantly split up the content and crap all over a franchise I was having a lot of fun with.

hertog

For me there were 2 disappointments.

Vandal hearts 2: the changes in the battlesystem were horrible. You could only move one character at the time and the cpu moved one at the same time.
So there was a chance to waste a big attack on an empty square.
This made the sequel on one of my favourite games ever, almost unplayable and just not fun anymore.

Final Fantasy 8: Annoying characters, bad battlesystem, hated junctioning and drawing magic.

Zekes!

No More Heroes 2.

Taking out the world map did it more bad than good, the forever-fight outside the dept store had me wanting to toss my controller, and the Shinobu sections had me tossing controller. What a let-down.

Shinobu's parts were made tolerable/awesome by her frequent use of (and yelling of) "moe!"

also dat shower saving

alazz

Warcraft 3. Not a particularly bad game, but after the awesmoeness that was Warcraft 2, I was hoping for more. Wanted more RTS and less RPG, although a little RPG is OK I guess.
This is really my only true candidate. WCII occupied my childhood, and it's still a favorite game. WCIII's micro and rpg focus removed the thrill of war for me. Felt more like skirmishes than wars. Nothing felt evolutionary, either. The exclusion of naval units and barriers was simply regressive, and the races, well, even after all this time I'm still not sure whether I fully like or dislike them, though their balance was weird.

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire.
sfWAG.png

RSE were very boring. I tried at least four times to beat it, gave up about midway most of the times. I did play some late-gate Emerald from my friends' saves and it wasn't bad, though not nearly as good as FRLG.

Populous+3+The+Beginning.jpg

Loved Populous 1 and 2.

Really disliked the 3rd one, which I believe came out like 8 years after Populous 2?
Maybe the problem is that I played it on the PS1?

Oh, and:

bionic-commando-box-ps3.jpg

Ughh.... Still wish they would have made a SNES sequel. :/

Kazzy

Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire

Agreed, I don't think my enthusiasm for the franchise has ever recovered.

I think I was the only one who liked 2 a little bit more than 1, particularly because of the boss battles and Henry & Shinobu. To each his own, I guess.

The final boss ruined it, utter shit.

It was also much less satirical than the original, one of the things that I missed the most. That said, I wouldn't count it as a personal nomination, I still really enjoyed the game.

EGM1966

Some interesting interpretations of "long awaited" and "monumetally" it seems.

Duke Nuken Forever clearly wipes the floor with all comers here surely?

Has there been any other game people waited so long for that was so undeniably dissapointing?

inner-G

Banned
Final Fantasy XI, XII, XIII and XIV.

I just want to play a god damn turn-based/ATB FF, Squeenix. Also, I don't want it to play like a WRPG/MMO.

Kazzy

Some interesting interpretations of "long awaited" and "monumetally" it seems.

Duke Nuken Forever clearly wipes the floor with all comers here surely?

Has there been any other game people waited so long for that was so undeniably dissapointing?

I don't the expectation was there after the initial decade in fairness. I think it eventually became nothing more than a morbid curiosity to most.

Aguirre

I don't know if this counts, but fable 2...

molyneux hyped that game so bad, it left a bad taste in my mouth when i played it. i know if molyneux never even said anything bout it, i would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Kazzy

I don't know if this counts, but fable 2...

molyneux hyped that game so bad, it left a bad taste in my mouth when i played it. i know if molyneux never even said anything bout it, i would have enjoyed it a lot more.

They are never mutually exclusive!

Stupid dog...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
rka-7.png

Rocket-Knight-preview.jpg

That Rocket Knight abortion brought the series back and quickly buried it again.

I bought that Rocket Knight game day 1. I'm still butthurt.

Also, Sonic 4. I wish I could hate that game out of existence. Oh, and Escape from Monkey Island. What a steaming pile of shit that game was, coming off MI3.

Top Bottom