• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Loofah vs. Wash Cloth: How do you shower?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
People that only use their hands - don't you feel that you're lacking that friction to remove dirt and dead skin? A super-slippery-soap-covered-hand isn't actually cleaning all that much, it's just smooshing soap everywhere. Might smell nice, but it's not clean.

Show me receipts.

Famassu

People that only use their hands - don't you feel that you're lacking that friction to remove dirt and dead skin? A super-slippery-soap-covered-hand isn't actually cleaning all that much, it's just smooshing soap everywhere. Might smell nice, but it's not clean.
Of course it's clean. The official hygiene codes for, say, cooks is to only use soap & water, not any kind of wash cloths or loofahs or anything. Scrubbing with your hands & water are plenty enough to wash skin clean. It's just hysteria from people like you to think that you need to scrub the outer layers of your skin off for one to be clean.

Sakura

I have a wash cloth, though I don't use it too often as if I do it seems to mess up my skin a bit.
I used to have a loofah but I dunno it didn't really seem all that great.

I don't even use soap bro.

Preezy

Of course it's clean. The official hygiene codes for, say, cooks is to only use soap & water, not any kind of wash cloths or loofahs or anything. Scrubbing with your hands & water are plenty enough to wash skin clean. It's just hysteria from people like you to think that you need to scrub the outer layers of your skin off for one to be clean.
I am HYSTERICAL about this, you're quite right.

jwk94

When I worked at Mcdonalds, we just let everything sit in a pool of warm, oily water. Then we'd blast it with hot water and leave it to dry. It was gross.

Famassu

I am HYSTERICAL about this, you're quite right.
Being TOO clean & thorough is a thing, especially when you guys insist on their usage & destroying your skin even when scientific research & recommendations point out to not use loofahs, wash cloths or even (wrong kinds of or too much) soap. So yeah, it's a bit hysterical-ish.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
No, the people who use the same loofah or scrunchie for a year straight are wrong. And that should be obvious. The same could be said about tooth brushes.
Shit, I just realized I've been using the same toothbrush for 2 years now.

TheFuzz

Place the bar of soap between my legs and squeeze them together. If the soap shoots forward, it's a good day. If it shoots backward, it doesn't look good.

It's like a magic 8-ball in your taint.

Little of A and a little of B. Exfoliating wash cloth. It's lathers like a puffy loofah, exfoliates like a hard loofah, and looks like a cloth.

Shower pouf and shower gel for me. My skin tends to be on the drier side and no matter which soap I've tried in the past within minutes after a bath/shower my skin is super dry/itchy even after adding moisturizer. Found a perfect line of shower gel that has a lovely scent and doesn't cause my skin to dry out/get itchy.

None, I use shower gloves from Eco Tools have been using them for years and they work wonders. I shower 2 times a day (once in the morning and then again in the evening) and during the summer up to 3x, especially on humid days.

Shower gel or soap it doesn't matter but shower gloves for sure.

Hold up. This thread is ridiculous.

There are people here seriously claiming using a rag/loofah with soap is more hygienic. No they're not. Those things accumulate bacteria after you're done. You're rubbing bacteria on yourself.

The epidermis is a fucking genius bit of evolution. Use your beautiful waterproof self-healing all-natural sanitary hands and feel yourself up.

I don't see the point of loofahs and those things. Unless the dirt is caked on your skin, a gentle touch of soap will clean it perfectly. They also don't seem as thorough as the hand, which can reach deeper into my balls and ass and between toes. The only benefit is that they exfoliate the skin, but that is meant to be done every now and then, not daily.

I use a loofah and the Dove squirt soap. I also have backup bars for when I run out of soap unexpectedly. But I honestly don't care what I use, it's all soap, it all works, and it's all about preference. Using a loofah, your hand, a bar, wash cloth, gloves, and the inumerable other methods of cleanliness are all about the same and it comes down to what you prefer.

I don't get people who do this or use their hands. I never feel clean afterwards.

once you understand that everything is in your head, it makes it easier to accept other people's washing habits that work for them.

Melon Husk

Being TOO clean & thorough is a thing, especially when you guys insist on their usage & destroying your skin even when scientific research & recommendations point out to not use loofahs, wash cloths or even (wrong kinds of or too much) soap. So yeah, it's a bit hysterical-ish.

I agree with you. You don't need any of that. If anything they condition you to be reliant on them.

Dervius

None, I use shower gloves from Eco Tools have been using them for years and they work wonders. I shower 2 times a day (once in the morning and then again in the evening) and during the summer up to 3x, especially on humid days.

Shower gel or soap it doesn't matter but shower gloves for sure.

That's alot of showering and alot of exfoliation.

I've always been curious, if you shower the night before, and do nothing but sleep, what's the purpose of showering again in the morning? Unless it's a mad humid night and you're sweating all over the shop it just seems... superfluous.

If it's a wake-up routine in the morning then fair enough, but if you're showering 2-3 times day with exfoliating gloves you must be destroying your skin.

EDIT: I also have to ask about bars of soap. I live in the UK and outside of a hotel I stayed in recently I haven't seen a bar of soap in years. Is this a UK / US thing? Do you guys share them with your housemates etc? Everything is Shower Gel / Creme here.

That's alot of showering and alot of exfoliation.

I've always been curious, if you shower the night before, and do nothing but sleep, what's the purpose of showering again in the morning? Unless it's a mad humid night and you're sweating all over the shop it just seems... superfluous.

If it's a wake-up routine in the morning then fair enough, but if you're showering 2-3 times day with exfoliating gloves you must be destroying your skin.

Ha! I wonder the same thing about folks who don't shower in the morning because they showered at night. Honestly speaking it's just how I was brought up. I've never done any "research" into it. I can't go to sleep without a shower or in the morning head off to work without one. I just feel "dirty".

I think I'm in the minority. Growing up to me it was normal and finding out that many folks don't do this, especially in other countries (I'm American) and the USA as well, was baffling to me.

You sweat at night. Your gooch smells, your ass sweats, so do armpits. Waking up, brushing my teeth and putting on clothes to head to work...that doesn't make sense to me. You, or rather I need to shower.

Famassu

Ha! I wonder the same thing about folks who don't shower in the morning because they showered at night. Honestly speaking it's just how I was brought up. I've never done any "research" into it. I can't go to sleep without a shower or in the morning head off to work without one. I just feel "dirty".

I think I'm in the minority. Growing up to me it was normal and finding out that many folks don't do this, especially in other countries (I'm American) and the USA as well, was baffling to me.

You sweat at night. Your gooch smells, your ass sweats, so do armpits. Waking up, brushing my teeth and putting on clothes to head to work...that doesn't make sense to me. You, or rather I need to shower.
Yeah, but why do you have to shower before going to bed? Unless you're super sweaty or actually dirty, just take a shower in the morning. 3 times a day is super wasteful and really bad for your skin.

conpfreak

Wash clothes. I use a fresh wash clothe every day; shower usually 2x a day if I go to work or out and about. Some acne issues I had on face/back right up after sticking to this routine. Tried the loofah thing trying to be more eco-friendly for a few months, but they just feel disgusting after a few months and you can't use it on your face.

Bar Soap only directly on skin is a waste, as you never get as good as a lather as a wash cloth, and yuck at the build up after a few washes. And there's no physical exfoliation.

Yeah, but why do you have to shower before going to bed? Unless you're super sweaty or actually dirty, just take a shower in the morning. 3 times a day is super wasteful and really bad for your skin.

For the exact same reason I shower in the morning. In fact I would think I would sweat more at those regions I mentioned during the work day than I would at night time.

But it's all cool. I don't want to be misconstrued, if folks shower 2x a day or 1x a day or 1x every 3 days and that works for them, more power to them. I recently turned 28 years old and I've been showering 2x a day basically my entire life. No skin problems (knock on wood) had some back acne in my teenage years and still have today although no where near as bad as when I was younger.

No "flaky/itchy" skin. Use Aveeno cream to moisturize my elbows/knees and rest of skin. This is what works for me. I guess for some it could be odd, just as it's odd to me that someone would shower only 1x a day. And that's okay. 😋

MilkBeard

Nope. Works just fine. I don't do anything manual that causes me to be super dirty. Hand and soap and water is enough.

Your body's skin comes off on its own, is my thing, you don't need to force it. But the hand does its job well enough as long as you are not ingrained with dirt.

If I'm walking outside barefoot or something, then a scrub pad is necessary, for example.

Yep, I agree mostly.

Also, people should be careful about cleaning their butts with soap. Certain soaps can cause dryness and irritation. Simply water works fine and is recommended.

conpfreak

How do you clean the wash rag? With another wash rag? I don't think so.
Ultimately you are cleaning it with just water and soap, so why not just skip the middle man

You can't be seriously, right? You clean a wash cloth with a proper detergent using a machine washer/dryer if possible. The exfoliation and lather benefits of wash clothes cannot be understated.

jayhawker

I just use my hands.

And I don't use shower gel except to lather a tiny dab in my hands and use it on crevices (pits, cheeks and junk, back of my knee and elbow if needed). I only buy shower gel about once a year, shower daily.

Everything else washes off just fine with water alone. I do use shampoo though.

AdamT

This thread is so messed up. I thought I'd read a general logical consensus in regards to proper shower hygiene... but no, it's Gaf.

Enco

lol

Do people not change their loofahs/whatever? You realise they're not 'buy one for life' kind of things right?

lol

Do people not change their loofahs/whatever? You realise they're not 'buy one for life' kind of things right?

Oh yeah, I wait for mine to turn into disintegrate and a long ribbon, then I just wrap it around my body and keep it on at all times. Figured, if loofahs keep my clean while I shower then if I wear it all the time then I don't need to shower anymore.

MegalonJJ

Banned
In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

ZOONAMI

In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

Ok...

bionic77

I don't think it matters.

I am just happy that y'all are taking showers and using soap.

A few years back we found out that we had some flat soapers and anti-shampoo people. Use whatever you want to clean your ass, as long as you use soap!

Top Bottom