• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Look at this image and tell me this isn't the best party you've seen in a long time for a JRPG

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Tales games are Tales games. People had been playing in for deacades

Nothing special and as generic as it can be.
I'm sorry but this can be said about games like Dragon Quest which I love, this can be said about every long running series.

I'm sick this argument of this is "generic" thats "generic", then every fucking game that comes out can be considered "generic".

I mean when I buy a Tales game, I expected to be Tales games, not entirely different series.

Last edited:

fallingdove

This is not the best JRPG party I have seen in a while.

I thought that Code Vein, Persona 5, Valkyria Revolution, and Tales of Berseria all had better looking parties. Arise has a couple of great looking party members in the main characters, everyone else seems either derivative, over designed, or out of place.

Rickyiez

Yupe I love Arise cast so far, perfect balance between male cast and waifus , classy and cool design all around .

I thought that Code Vein, Persona 5, Valkyria Revolution, and Tales of Berseria all had better looking parties. Arise has a couple of great looking party members in the main characters, everyone else seems either derivative, over designed, or out of place.

Tales of Berseria really ?
5ecfcc1b376cd7799cebbe11f8ebf95b_1920_KR.jpg

Just for the fact that there's a child character and the terrible default outfit of MC .. no way

Last edited:

demonstr8

It quite literally looks like any other JRPG party that exists right now and especially like a typical Tales party, in fact, the male MC has the same two tone hair as the last mainline male MC in Xillia 2. SMT V protagonist may look like a woman (lol) but it is at least somewhat original.

MagnesG

Banned
I'm sorry but this can be said about games like Dragon Quest which I love, this can be said about every long running series.

I'm sick this argument of this is "generic" thats "generic", then every fucking game that comes out can be considered "generic".

I mean when I buy a Tales game, I expected to be Tales games, not entirely different series.
I mean, what is different about this Tales compared to other Tales?

DQ for example, I agree it look samey for DQ1-6 even with their different gameplay tropes. But DQ7 is different, 8 9 10 11 all different.

FF is different come 7 and above.

What about Tales though, most importantly gameplay wise? Even with new characters introduced we can already expect how the game would flow even to their loot progression, equipment etc.

Arise could be different I agree, but past titles certainly checks in with the narrative. The same could be said with Pokemon for example.

Again no hate, I would buy Arise day one. It's just the irony of saying a Tales game having the best party because of its "unique" design, kinda funny to me when it's the opposite from the public past perspective.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Game does looks amazing, i always have a thing for tales game.
This is a day 1 purchase for me

Last edited:

Croga

I like the Tales Series. I'd agree that the characters can look a bit generic at times, but based on what we have seen so far, I would say it's one of the best casts they have put together in a while, at least from a Tales perspective.

This series is all about the battle gameplay anyway, which always has huge depth and is great fun.

It'll be a day one purchase for me. Can't wait for it.

Danjin44

I mean, what is different about this Tales compared to other Tales?

DQ for example, I agree it look samey for DQ1-6 even with their different gameplay tropes. But DQ7 is different, 8 9 10 11 all different.

FF is different come 7 and above.

What about Tales though, most importantly gameplay wise? Even with new characters introduced we can already expect how the game would flow even to their loot progression, equipment etc.

Arise could be different I agree, but past titles certainly checks in with the narrative. The same could be said with Pokemon for example.

Again no hate, I would buy Arise day one. It's just the irony of saying a Tales game having the best party because of its "unique" design, kinda funny to me when it's the opposite from the public past perspective.
I agree that they are “tropes” trough out Tales series but I kind of don’t mind that. Not every game needs to vastly different from each other with every entry like FF.

Like Dragon Quest they are “tropes” with each game like most game’s story about hero defeating lords of shadow, but I don’t mind that and there are people who also complain that Toriyama’s characters starting looking samey but I personally love his character designs.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
How is this not a Dajin44 topic?!

What's next? Vfx opening a topic where he get rid of his pc to only keep a ps5?!

Danjin44

Since you always talk\brag about japanese characters design i immediately thought about you when i readed the topic's title :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Yes I like Japanese characters designs but I don’t really make topic about it since majority of the time it attracts people who go on and on about how “weeb” it is, blah, blah, blah.....and I have no patience for that.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes I like Japanese characters designs but I don’t really make topic about it since majority of the time it attracts people who go on and on about how “weeb” it is, blah, blah, blah.....and I have no patience for that.
Dude i was joking, don't take my shitposts so seriously :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Also lol at the irony of someone calling dweeb another person while browsing an hardcore videogame forum:lollipop_squinting:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Calling A.Toriyama's designs "generic" to prove a point in support of Tales of is quite interesting considering the first one influenced the whole anime and manga industry for decades.

As for the game itself, you can only wish Tales to have that quality of writing in-between all those annoying skits with childish yaaaaaa, ngggghhhh, uaaaaaa, nyaaaaaa - and food talks questioning your sanity.
DQ on the other hand has probably the best writing in the genre not considering few of the Matsuno's games. The comparison is just wrong on so many levels.

Tales of is the classic netflix anime season, something you watch if you don't have anything else to do and you quickly forget about it after finishing it, passing by MAL to shit on it while at it with immense pleasure and pride.

Exactly the definition of generic.

Amen and thanks.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I agree that they are “tropes” trough out Tales series but I kind of don’t mind that. Not every game needs to vastly different from each other with every entry like FF.

Like Dragon Quest they are “tropes” with each game like most game’s story about hero defeating lords of shadow, but I don’t mind that and there are people who also complain that Toriyama’s characters starting looking samey but I personally love his character designs.
I don't mind it either, maybe I just don't like their anime style and flair. It's a bit too similar to budgets seasonal anime for me.

The eyes for example.

Last edited:
This isn't the best party I've seen in a long time in a JRPG

I mean....the OP did ask us all to tell them this.

But Tales games have by far the most stereotypical generic JRPG characters ever so whatever.

Kamina

Golden Boy
OP please.
You and me know you are right, but these people will always prefer anime–thot parties.

Last edited:

Daymos

I think this boards overall opinion is that all JRPG must look like anime and ALL anime is bad. Therefore those characters are bad and jrpgs suck.

If a jrpg doesn't have anime characters then it's a WRPG! Elden ring is an rpg made by a japanese man, but damn it's beautiful and cool and therefore it's western! A western style game, which basically boils down to not having big anime eyes.

Last edited:

Graciaus

There is way more to a party then just a character design. None of these even look anything special.

I'm hyped for the game also but chill.

I mean I get it, design wise I like Persona 5 too but can you tell from their designs that Makoto fights with her fists or that Joker uses a dagger to fight? can you tell that Futaba actually can't fight and it's just a support character?

As for Yakuza I mean they work for their franchise but come on most players expect other type of designs for JRPGs and yeah I know that Like a Dragon uses a Job System so their designs change still not good IMO but again they are ok for their franchise.

You do realize theres more to a party than just the weapons they use. It's impossible to know Futaba is a support based on that picture unless you already knew which you did cuz you knew her fucking name. Compared to your picture where we have a fucking waife wearing a huge ass shield. Jee I wonder what her role is. Maybe a rogue? Don't be ridiculous. They look like your standard trope HOWEVER that does not mean the characters will be bad. They might be incredibly well written but until we see, we don't know. Well incredibly well written is a bit of a stretch, we are talking about a jrpg here. Even P5 which I loved and is considered one of the best, is hardly what I'd call well written. They are as generic as they can be, but you still love em.

Last edited:

synce

Why does it have to be diverse or 50/50 male/female to be good? Only the pink haired girl stands out to me, the rest are whatever.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

But Tales is pretty generic

Duchess

ExGeBRJ.jpg

Mature designs, diverse looking, 3 males, 3 females, you can tell the role of each character in battle, MC's armor even looks like it came out straight out from Dark Souls minus the helmet (looking at you Artorias) and all of this while still retaining the Anime look from the Tales of franchise,

This has to be the best looking JRPG party in a long time, the only party coming close to this one is probably Dragon Quest XI's, anyone else agrees?
The girl on the left is rocking one massive tower shield there.

I've actually got my eye on this one to play at some point. Haven't played a JRPG in yonks.

DelireMan7

Never played a Tales of but I want to at one point.

This game looks very attractive for me. I love the character design.

KàIRóS

You do realize theres more to a party than just the weapons they use. It's impossible to know Futaba is a support based on that picture unless you already knew which you did cuz you knew her fucking name. Compared to your picture where we have a fucking waife wearing a huge ass shield. Jee I wonder what her role is. Maybe a rogue? Don't be ridiculous. They look like your standard trope HOWEVER that does not mean the characters will be bad. They might be incredibly well written but until we see, we don't know. Well incredibly well written is a bit of a stretch, we are talking about a jrpg here. Even P5 which I loved and is considered one of the best, is hardly what I'd call well written. They are as generic as they can be, but you still love em.

Ok first of all calm down bro, no need to insult me, you're getting angry over nothing here.

And yes I do realize there's more to a party than just the weapons they use, I'm clearly talking about design here though and If I can tell what they can use or what class they are it's definitely a plus for me because I can tell way earlier which party members I'm interested in. Yes the party in Tales of Arise looks like the typical standard party in terms of classes and I'm completely fine with that, because unlike you I don't mind classic tropes being reused, we've seen this type of party since the 70s in the earliest days of D&D, I enjoy tradition but I guess you don't. As for how well written they will be, again this is strictly about design so I don't know why you mentioned that.

It's impossible to know Futaba is a support based on that picture

Yes and that's why it's bad character design, good character design needs to give you as much info as possible about a character and in the case of videogames being able to tell what that character does. But like I said on the previous reply, just like you and many others I do like the party in P5 that still doesn't make them good character designs just eye candy.

Top Bottom