• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking at Spiderman budgets there's no way any of Microsoft's games are profitable, right?

Do you have a source or citation to validate any of that?

Or is it another "Trust me bro" case?

Cute, considering I explicitly said in my previous posts that people shouldn't trust me and should just wait for it to happen.

So you think Xbox, the division,

could spend $7.5 billion to buy Zenimax?
Could buy ABK for $68 billion?
Spent hundreds of million on other studio acquisitions...
Can spend $1b a year on content for Gamepass...

Considering that...in FY 2021 Phil had to write to his boss asking for $1.6B to fund the subsidy to Xbox hardware, and that it has been stated that Xbox save money by not making Xboxes.

If they had a lot of cash then they'd be able to cover that subsidy themselves. Yet they did not.

Do you think SIE would be able to do all of those things, even though they for years had much more revenue? They would not. They've never released a console that hasn't come dead last. People need to remember that. Dead last every single time.

It's the central wallet that's kept Xbox afloat. As a division they wouldn't have been able to compete using their own creativity, finance and intelligence.

Judging by the hardware whispers (which I know nothing of) it looks like they've abandoned their original plan for this gen. That says things haven't gone to plan. Projections have been missed (same with gamepass). So it reads to me like there is a bit pivot coming.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Cute, considering I explicitly said in my previous posts that people shouldn't trust me and should just wait for it to happen.

I didn't notice any such disclaimers in your posts in this thread at least.

But then again your posts have been nothing but unsubstantiated ramblings, or 'batshit' as others have called it, so the 'lack of trust' part comes naturally, since you've refused to cite a source for anything, not just to me, but to earlier posts asking you to do the same in this very topic.

Last edited:
I didn't notice any such disclaimers in your posts in this thread at least.

But then again your posts have been nothing but unsubstantiated ramblings, or 'batshit' as others have called it, so the 'lack of trust' part comes naturally, since you've refused to cite a source for anything, not just to me, but to earlier posts asking you to do the same in this very topic.

Care to comment on what was stated in that post or are you gonna do your hand wavey dismissal again that we've all come to expect from you?

I'll wait. Or don't bother if you aren't going to discuss the substance of the post (again). There's a pattern to what you do.

adamsapple

Care to comment on what was stated in that post or are you gonna do your hand wavey dismissal again that we've all come to expect from you?

I'll wait. Or don't bother if you aren't going to discuss the substance of the post (again). There's a pattern to what you do.

No, I don't really care to comment on your theory-crafting :messenger_tears_of_joy:

'considering that' 'think of it like pocket money' 'it's complicated'. Lots of idle conjecture, absolutely nothing to back it up.

You haven't answered Chukhopops Chukhopops 's question from the last page, conveniently ignored that post. Let me refresh it for you:

You got a source on that? Considering no one has access to a detailed Xbox P&L and this wasn’t mentioned in any of the investigations.

Edit: looks like it can be safely filed in the bullshit category.

Oh, and I'll just address one of your rambles here ..

So you think Xbox, the division,

Can spend $1b a year on content for Gamepass...

Yes, considering they make $230m per month (2.76~ billion/yr) revenue from it, they can spend 1 billion a year for content on it.

And this is before Core was even included with game pass, so the figure has definitely increased since.

Last edited:
No, I don't really care to comment on your theory-crafting :messenger_tears_of_joy:

'considering that' 'think of it like pocket money' 'it's complicated'. Lots of idle conjecture, absolutely nothing to back it up.

You haven't answered Chukhopops Chukhopops 's question from the last page, conveniently ignored that post. Let me refresh it for you:

Oh, and I'll just address one of your rambles here ..

Yes, considering they make $230m per month (2.7~ billion/yr) revenue from it, they can spend 1 billion a year for content on it.

And this is before Core was even included with game pass, so the figure has definitely increased considerably since.

Lovely cherry picking with that one. Consider the whole, not just the snippet.

Standard from you. Your choice of vocabulary when discussing what I say is a classic rhetorical practise for someone on the back foot.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Lovely cherry picking with that one. Consider the whole, not just the snippet.

Standard from you.

My guy, you don't get to say that to anyone else.

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

adamsapple

And you are done. You've resorted to memes.

It's the only real way to reply to your fanfictions. As even now you haven't provided a single source or citation to back up any of the claims you've made. 🤷‍♂️

For everyone else, I've blocked this guy so whatever he bleats on with now is none of my concern. He's failing to actually argue. I've no time for that and it's a pattern of behaviour.

Looks like I'm not getting those citations afterall. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Considering that...in FY 2021 Phil had to write to his boss asking for $1.6B to fund the subsidy to Xbox hardware, and that it has been stated that Xbox save money by not making Xboxes.

If they had a lot of cash then they'd be able to cover that subsidy themselves. Yet they did not.
That’s actually quite funny, you think Business Units inside Microsoft have their own cash reserves that they can use as they please?

You believe Spencer could approve a 1.6B write-off (10% of total revenue lol) by himself if only the Xbox division had some cash reserve?

Not For Me Mic Drop GIF by Matt Partridge

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I personally think the insomniac stolen data shows us that these games aren't sustainable for the industry for the same simple fact that many claim game pass isn't sustainable for rhe industry.

We often here only Microsoft has the money to support gamepass and it isn't a fair representation of the industry and how it operates. Well, to me it's pretty clear that the industry can not support Sonys typical games and we shouldn't expect it to. Sony are using their benefits just as much as Microsoft are using theirs.

For a game to need to sell like 7.5 million copies to break even....thats wild. Do you think many games that are pitched to a publisher with that kind of requirement to break even get signed off? I doubt many if any at all.

It would only take a few games to underperform, say last of us 2 to seriously impact your business.

I think its worth discussing.

If spider man 2 cost 315 million and releases looking great but not mindblowing, what's the budget on the next last of us 3? 450mill? More? For a potential 7 to 8 million sales?

I'm not surprised that Sony have been looking at other ways to bring money in.
Last of Us II underperformed? Based on what? "Seriously impact your business". Druckmann told us it profited right away. Unless you know more than Sony about their business, let them be the ones to inform.

As for Spidey 2, why did it have to look mind-blowing? A lot of the development goes into more than just visuals, especially for a game as detailed and large as it.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Last of Us II underperformed? Based on what? "Seriously impact your business". Druckmann told us it profited right away. Unless you know than Sony about their business, let them be the ones to inform.

As for Spidey 2, why did it have to look mind-blowing? A lot of the development goes into more than just visuals, especially for a game as detailed and large as it.

Yeah, like these businesses don't lie and sugar coat their shit?

I bet you believe every statement these people like drunkman and Spencer say?

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yeah, like these businesses don't lie and sugar coat their shit?

I bet you believe every statement these people like drunkman and Spencer say?
Ah, shedding that Kumbaya suit already it seems!

In any event, okay, so they lied and "sugar coated their shit". So, I should believe a walking contradiction instead. Got it.

Spencer? A timeline of deceit. Druckmann? Provide me with samples of him lying (particularly anything sales related). Otherwise, the game did not underperform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom