• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking Back At Microsoft's 13 Years of First Party

espher

Oh your tears. Your beautiful, delicious, tears.

Not that I really disagree with this truthbomb, but...

a) The discussion is about Microsoft's management of first-parties in the console gaming space over the past thirteen years, so all the great stuff they did in the past in the PC space doesn't apply, especially considering the trainwreck that has come since.

b) The list of not-related-to-the-topic look-at-Microsoft's-contributions bullet points is a good one; however, the PC parts/online multiplayer/hard drive stuff dates back to the original Xbox and Xbox Live (so 2001/2002), and honestly I personally feel they've done nothing to "improve" their offerings since, instead plastering advertising and paywalling tons of shit behind their "great" console online offering and trying to do things like the awful GFWL. (I'll give them full points for the indie push, but the architecture comment just seems like unnecessary tire pumping.)

c) I don't think anyone is arguing that Microsoft's money-hatting or throwing-of-money-at-existing-studios-to-get-exclusives hasn't led to some great titles, but more that they haven't really done anything to foster/develop acquisitions further or spin up new studios. Hell, of the games you listed, three of the five were developed by "acquired" studios, only one of the IPs still being used, and FASA was shut down while Bungie is no longer a Microsoft-managed studio.

The "problem" (if you consider it a problem, but in the context of this thread, that's the "problem" being debated, anyway) is that they've had 13 years in the console space and have no real "stable" to speak of, at least when you compare it to the other two. Turn 10 might be the only one "spun up" that is still around, and pretty much all of their notable/noteworthy acquisitions were subsequently shut down or left, whereas the other two pubs still have not-insigificant in-house or acquired studio development, and have been able to make franchises out of them.

We're in an era where both Sony and Microsoft are pouring boatloads of money into "content denial" strategies instead of "content creation" ones, and many people find that distasteful. Fund Platinum to make a game on your console -- great. Pay a company a boatload of cash to make games/content "exclusive" to your console for a period of time -- not great. One of these leads to more content overall, one of these leads to the same amount of content through fewer channels.

I do think that Microsoft gets a lot of flak, but it really is befuddling that they've managed to completely botch this part of it, especially considering their "good old days" strengths in the PC market. It becomes more than befuddling when it leads to less things overall, in the name of trying to compel you to buy their hardware.

This is why we are the best thing for gaming, period. We buy studios as well but we let them build up to greater and greater things. Naughty Dog started making wannabe Mario and got closer and closer to actual games until they finally made TLoU which completely redefined the genre and gaming as a whole. We aren't in it for the money but to make gaming better overall.

Can't tell if this is a joke, but pretty funny anyway.

No, they aren't. I see you got bogged down in the horrible PR speak that both companies have been feeding us. They said console debut, as they have a deal with Paradox to bring their games first to PS4. It's nothing more than a timed exclusive.

Funny how no one is bashing on this relationship with Paradox that Sony openely talks about where Paradox's titles are all coming to PS4 first.

Lol.

Dude, I don't know.

This is why we are the best thing for gaming, period. We buy studios as well but we let them build up to greater and greater things. Naughty Dog started making wannabe Mario and got closer and closer to actual games until they finally made TLoU which completely redefined the genre and gaming as a whole. We aren't in it for the money but to make gaming better overall.

I can't tell if you are serious.

JJMorris

Regardless of how you feel about Microsoft, without Microsoft, competing platforms (including PC) would be inferior platforms today. Competition is a good thing.

abadguy

Banned
yeah there is no fucking denying that the bias is more tipped towards sony right now

I looked at OP and seen it was quoted from a Drek post and knew from there where this thread was going. Whatever though since at the end of the day they are providing me with a lot of games i want to play, which last i checked is why i paid for it. Anyway may as well just enjoy the games coming down the pike for these consoles and let the warrior types lose sleep over this shit. I am seeing more and more that attempting to debate or use any sort of logic with these people is pointless. The constant bashing is tiresome but what are you gonna do, it is what it is.

It's bias because we are choosing to talk about what microsoft is not doing? I swear, y'all act like people can't talk about shit that's going on right now, or as if people can't have opinions on the facts placed in front of us. The bias here is people choosing to ignore it and side step it by putting "bias" labels in criticism than to actually join the conversation and state your constructive factual beefs. This lame drive by posting of "Oh another Microsoft bashing thread that actually has some good points means that it's totally bias for Sony." Wtf.

-------

In terms of the first party outlook, I look at Microsoft as the Rich kid in school who cheats on the Midterms to graduate. No exact effort was put in than to seek the smartest and brightest kid, pay them for their creation and help and past the test.

I think people really just want to see the effort being put into Microsoft. I get some don't mind them spending their money the way they choice by spend money on the guys who need it. There should be no reason that the only way for their system to be attractive is by buying full franchises to make their system attractive. I don't have a problem with them buying a new idea, but why buy what you can build at home.

Some people make it seem like Microsoft is devoid of talent. What cracks me up is, this is the same Microsoft who does indeed brag about having the best Software Programmers in the world but doesn't use them for actual good purposes by creating an actual legacy in their games lineup? Look, Microsoft is good at what they do, but it's time to stop excuses for them. We have to stop making excuses for Nintendo when they obviously fuck up, we had to for Sony, why are we to hold back from MS? Why are they exempt from actual honest feedback?

There is some true concern on what they are doing and if the concerns are what will make gamers happy, then why can't that conversation happen? For years now, I think people would really love Microsoft to start making their own.
There is no reasons to make excuses for MS. They have the best OS on console. Their console has great build quality and while weaker than their competitor is still pumping out games that look like Ryse, Quantum Break. They have a great number of exclusive titles to play already. If people want to moan about them being 3rd party etc whatever but they already have a diverse game library on Xbox one and the future outlook is great in the arena of exclusive games. Xbox One is the best place to enjoy TV entertainment as well. Its missing a few apps but they are coming. People are pretending that the Xbox one is the worst console to own right now when it excel in many if not most areas. Just my opinion of course. I think its dishonest or maybe out of ignorance that people pretend the XB1 is a train wreck.

shandy706

It took 6 pages for someone to point out Viva Pinata and even then didn't point out it is completely missing from the OP!!!

spookyfish

this was in the tomb raider thread wasnt it ?

yall tomb raider dudes should relax. you will get to play it in 2016 according to insiders so stop cluttering the forums with your crybaby posts

I read this in Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel's voice.

Made me laugh.

The sad part to me is how they had a first party game for every genre in Xbox and abandoned it.

Air combat
Rally racing
Tennis
Football
Skateboard
Arcade racer
Fantasy
Fighting

And some were great games.

Now most of those genres are dead, not just at Microsoft but the entire industry.

Damning but good post OP. Some good games have come out but it does seem most were bought one way or another, rather than grown.

I don't want to generalize too much but this is typical Microsoft. Historically (Windows GUI, Zune, Smartphone, Windows 7, Xbox etc.), they often
copy
pull in others ideas to make their own. I suppose it works since they have so much money to throw around.

They have made some of their own interesting tech lately with Windows 8, Surface Pro, and Kinect but they really don't seem to understand how to grow these concepts well, often keeping them within a technological purgatory of too many conflicting executive notions of how they should work and be marketed.

Aya you've been making some good posts recently. I agree with this completely. I just want to see MS put some effort into their business. It's really, really telling that when people try to defend them all they can do is point to stuff that they did 10 years ago.

I specifically responded to you pointing out what Microsoft is doing now. Not what they did ten yeas ago, what they are doing now with the games they are publishing. If you're not going to respond to that, at least have the courtesy to not ignore my reply to suit your agenda.

Yes people say some ridiculous things about MS. But the people who are trying to discredit every legitimate point that people make on the grounds that some people say stupid things is as intellectually dishonest as the people making those stupid claims in the first place.

People are not trying to discredit anyone. We are simply trying to point out the fallacies in the quite frankly ludicrous amount of hate that has accrued over the last few days, by pointing out that the OP's opening statement is highly flawed and factually incorrect, and that people are misrepresenting both Microsoft' history and what they are doing currently.

MS have earned their ill will through their policies and decisions over the past ~5 years, and it's going to carry on until they actually demonstrate that they can still bring something good to the industry.

How fortunate therefore that they are funding Kamiya and Platinum, putting money into family friendly games like Project Spark and Max & The Curse Of Brotherhood, as well as allowing third party developers like Insomniac to retain the rights to their IP, just as they did with Bioware and Mass Effect.

Oh would you look at that? A publisher allowing a developer to retain the rights to an IP they create for them. It's almost as if that's something good for the industry.

And yes, I know that Sony are 'only in it for the money' too, but the fact is that Sony's way of doing it is actually beneficial, whereas Microsoft's is just lazy. The Tomb Raider situation is nothing more than MS punishing people who made the smart choice of avoiding their console.

The smart choice of avoiding their console? What about people who want to play Sunset Overdrive, or the people who wanted to play Titanfall?

Can you not see why people are arguing with you. Your bias is dripping from every post you make. You want to hate Microsoft, so you look for every reason you can find to hate them. It doesn't matter that they're allowing third party developers to keep IP rights, or that they're expanding their first party studios, or bringing back old franchises like Killer Instinct and Phantom Dust, as well as investing in new ones like Scalebound. None of that matters to you, because that doesn't allow you to keep painting them as some form of villain.

methane47

They gave the NFL more money for a fantasy football app than Take 2/Rockstar spent on Grand Theft Auto 5. Let that sink into your head when you excuse their lack of first party studios as "taking time".

WAT?

BS.

MS have those, you're just not looking.

Turn 10
Lionhead
Rare
Twisted Pixel
Press Play
LXP
Dakota
Lift London
Black Tusk
Cloudgine

You need to give them time to produce games, they made a pact to enhance first party a couple years ago and we're slowly but surely seeing that materialise. Also see you list some Sony second partys there too.

How about Remedy? Ruffian? Frontier, Iron Galaxy, Playground Games?

Those studios barely have the same output and you guys know it. I feel like I follow this stuff closely and don't know what most of those have made or are making. And seriously Rare and Lionhead are shells of their former selves.

Waaghals

Errm. MS bought Bungie in 2000, Halo CE was released in November 2001 - that's hardly "months from launch".
The game was also heavily reworked in that time, the final Xbox version looks quite a bit different from the original pc/mac-versions.

Furthermore, the game was not cancelled on PC and Mac, it released on those platforms in 2003.

FASA made several games for the original Xbox, including Mechassault 1 & 2 plus Crimson Skies which were mainstays of the early Xbox Live, and Shadowrun released on X360.
The success of MA1 isn't even mentioned, just glossed over to support the view that MS can't get their internal studios to work.

I do get the point the post in the OP makes: that MS first party is less diverse than its closest competitors,
but I dislike the attempt to make it look weaker by "disqualifying" Halo and glossing over other games/studios.

I agree that MS focus on buying temporary exclusivity really isn't as appealing as makeing your own games, and it is true that many of MS' new studios have failed to produce anything of import.
Still I think the OP oversimplifies.

Faustek

yeah there is no fucking denying that the bias is more tipped towards sony right now

Seems as you didn't even lurk here during early PS360 days.

When they are being douchy they'll keep getting called on it. That easy.

no worries, I didn't either. Forums seemed as to much of a hassle. Just came here to see news :)

Percy

Banned
Those studios barely have the same output and you guys know it. I feel like I follow this stuff closely and don't know what most of those have made or are making. And seriously Rare and Lionhead are shells of their former selves.

I lolled at Ruffian being counted as "MS second party" considering they announced a PS4 exclusive yesterday :)

Turn 10 is really the only studio of those to do consistently well. Rare and Lionhead really are shells of their former selves. 343i made one primary game and from people I've talked to, is the weakest of the Halo games. Outside of that, the rest really have not delivered either anything or anything of importance/worth.

Plus Ruffian coming out with a PS4/PC game... yep a funny post :).

KampferZeon

Neo Member
Yes. Microsoft is a business. They look for ways to make money. That's kinda what businesses DO.

Enjoy your consoles, sure - I know I enjoy my XO, PS4, and Wii U - but don't make yourself look like an idiot to prove your worth to a master that ultimately doesn't even know that you exist.

Ouch thanks, that hurts.

It's equally silly to suggest Microsoft wants to be part of the gaming business just for the gamers money only. The investment cost far out weights the amount of income generated.

I care about gamng as a form of entertainment, and I see consoles as a very important sector of gaming. So I care and applaud companies that did the right thing to the industry, and resent them otherwise.

I dunno if you really care about gaming as a form of entertainment, or you only just want to talk business.

It seems you don't want to acknowledge. Microsoft has always had an hidden agenda.

I lolled at Ruffian being counted as "MS second party" considering they announced a PS4 exclusive yesterday :)

It's funny because you seem to have bought the PR speak also. It's a timed exclusive, just like every one of Paradox's other titles they are putting on PS4 first. Notice how Sony says "console debut" and has publically spoke about their deal with Paradox and Devolver Digital to bring their titles to PS4 first, aka timed exclusive.

Drecks post pretty much sums up how I feel about MS and their strategy too. after the first few years of enjoying my 360 I started to get more and more frustrated with the direction the platform was going in.

It's a good thing I was never completely invested in the core IP's of the xbox. I can live without Halo, Forza and Fable.

That's just a bold faced lie.

Drecks post pretty much sums up how I feel about MS and their strategy too. after the first few years of enjoying my 360 I started to get more and more frustrated with the direction the platform was going in.

It's a good thing I was never completely invested into the core IP's of the xbox. I can live without Halo, Forza and Fable.

This is the agenda I was talking about guy who questioned me. Too many threads to remember which one.

For all the complaints about MS, there is no denying year 1 of Xbox One vs. PS4, they have been very competitive with Sony on the games and console functionality part and probably will be next year. Of course MS is going to do whatever it takes to be competitive in the sales portion so if MS has to use TR flesh out its games library in order to get to year 3 and allow "first party" games to be a part of the library so be it. That is the nature of the business.

Duster

This is simply not true. The NFL stuff was an investment by Microsoft as a whole not just the Xbox division.

Does anybody have proof either way of what the deal actually encompasses?
Ideally with a break-down of each part but I doubt that information is available.

I don't say that to disagree with either point btw, on the surface it's a crazy amount of money to spend especially in the eyes of those outside of America, however it involves other Microsoft products too so isn't just an XB1 thing.

Away from that the "it's business so anything goes" attitudes are weird to me, of course they're all out to get your money but there are a lot of different ways of doing that.
It's widely reported that Microsoft wanted to use the Xbox as a trojan horse to take over living room for other purposes, that's a fundamentally different agenda to other many other console manufacturers (past or present).

PureXbox

Banned
Ouch thanks, that hurts.

It's equally silly to suggest Microsoft wants to be part of the gaming business just for the gamers money only. The investment cost far out weights the amount of income generated.

I care about gamng as a form of entertainment, and I see consoles as a very important sector of gaming. So I care and applaud companies that did the right thing to the industry, and resent them otherwise.

I dunno if you really care about gaming as a form of entertainment, or you only just want to talk business.

It seems you don't want to acknowledge. Microsoft has always had an hidden agenda.

"The investment cost far out weights the amount of income generated." - Incorrect, in a lot of cases. A lot of games make money. And do you really think that Microsoft is losing cash on Xbox Live subscriptions? See my comments on Nintendo cross-branding products as well. Oh, and don't Sony have PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now to make them a boatload of cash?

My friend, I appreciate that you care about gaming as a form of entertainment. I do, too. I have for most of my life. I like the schoolboy attempt at "calling me out" for not caring though. Very artfully done. I assume your next shout will be to call me a casual gamer for having a different point of view. Oh, well.

My ENTIRE POST was acknowledging the presence of an agenda. It isn't a hidden agenda, though, unless you refuse to see it. The agenda is "let's make some money", which is the same agenda as the other two major platform holders. Whether or not you want to romanticise what the platform holders do is up to you, but don't make out that one company has some big fucking conspiracy going on and the other two are only there to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside because they just love you so damned much.

Just so I can't be any clearer: I hereby acknowledge that Microsoft has an agenda above and beyond furthering the boundaries of gaming. I also acknowledge that Sony and Nintendo do, too.

Yes i did, did you read my reply to the post from TitusGroan because i was replying to him and to the trend that is getting sickening around here these days. You can't deny that there's a lot of Microsoft hate right now

To put it bluntly, you are being a fanboy by applying your love for your system in a thread about first party output that us as gamers would like to see more from Microsoft. We aren't talking about Xbox One vs PS4, which console is better, which online services is better, which whatever the hell it is you LOVE about your Xbox One. This is strictly about Microsoft (right now and beyond) showing some effort into making their own, not buying third parties.

because some fanboys are mad that there's some games not coming to their favourite system and that X company is not "gamer friendly" enough for their taste.

Some fanboys? How old are you? Games are things everyone should like. This shit isn't always about some favorite console BS. And since this is in reference to this, Tomb Raider is not some up and coming franchise that has just cooked in the oven with a CGI trailer and no explanation. This has been in the industry for almost 10 years on EVERYONES FAVORTIE SYSTEM. And the people who spent money building it up does not deserve to be told, "Go play our older game to support us because Microsoft supported us more than you and seen our vision more than you guys have in the last 10+ years ". Give me a break...

Someone has one day to call that shit on NeoGAF because otherwise we'll become one of these Gamefaqs, IGN or youtube comment section which is not why i visit NeoGAF.

It's funny how people who love to sit here and say we are being hard on MS can also sit here a with a straight face and make fun of Nintendo and the Wii U when singlehandedly, Nintendo has brought more to this gaming industry than any gaming company that has ever lived. Yet they are constantly bashed on a daily basis, are the running joke for years, and MS gets some heat and all of a sudden it's Sony and Gaf being bias? Stop being butt hurt that we have to talk your favorite manufacturer and bring solid supported facts to criticize their actions. So...

Let me repeat this.

WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT SONY.

We are not talking about what Sony has to do to make their first party outlook better.

We are not talking about her closing of studios Sony has done in the past 13 yeas while buying up third party content to fluff their console.
We are not talking about Sony empty promises we were told day one in 2008 that came to fruition early in the generation but died seamlessly because of complacency.
We are not talking about who's OS system is the best, why it's the best, why you love your console over another, why etc etc etc. We are talking about gaming fundamentals here.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just so I can't be any clearer: I hereby acknowledge that Microsoft has an agenda above and beyond furthering the boundaries of gaming. I also acknowledge that Sony and Nintendo do, too.
Do you also acknowledge that the method of arriving at income can differ and that enthusiast video game player might prefer one over the others by quite a margin?

nib95

Banned
I think a major issue Microsoft will face simply paying off third parties for exclusives instead of better investing in first party, besides cost and a lack of brand identity, is that they will indirectly just be advertising, marketing and propping up future PS4 games. Eg, Titanfall 2. It has happened with so many big franchises like MGS, Final Fantasy, Mass Effect etc, that started off exclusive but are now multiplatform.

Ricky_R

Not that I really disagree with this truthbomb, but...

a) The discussion is about Microsoft's management of first-parties in the console gaming space over the past thirteen years, so all the great stuff they did in the past in the PC space doesn't apply, especially considering the trainwreck that has come since.

b) The list of not-related-to-the-topic look-at-Microsoft's-contributions bullet points is a good one; however, the PC parts/online multiplayer/hard drive stuff dates back to the original Xbox and Xbox Live (so 2001/2002), and honestly I personally feel they've done nothing to "improve" their offerings since, instead plastering advertising and paywalling tons of shit behind their "great" console online offering and trying to do things like the awful GFWL. (I'll give them full points for the indie push, but the architecture comment just seems like unnecessary tire pumping.)

c) I don't think anyone is arguing that Microsoft's money-hatting or throwing-of-money-at-existing-studios-to-get-exclusives hasn't led to some great titles, but more that they haven't really done anything to foster/develop acquisitions further or spin up new studios. Hell, of the games you listed, three of the five were developed by "acquired" studios, only one of the IPs still being used, and FASA was shut down while Bungie is no longer a Microsoft-managed studio.

The "problem" (if you consider it a problem, but in the context of this thread, that's the "problem" being debated, anyway) is that they've had 13 years in the console space and have no real "stable" to speak of, at least when you compare it to the other two. Turn 10 might be the only one "spun up" that is still around, and pretty much all of their notable/noteworthy acquisitions were subsequently shut down or left, whereas the other two pubs still have not-insigificant in-house or acquired studio development, and have been able to make franchises out of them.

We're in an era where both Sony and Microsoft are pouring boatloads of money into "content denial" strategies instead of "content creation" ones, and many people find that distasteful. Fund Platinum to make a game on your console -- great. Pay a company a boatload of cash to make games/content "exclusive" to your console for a period of time -- not great. One of these leads to more content overall, one of these leads to the same amount of content through fewer channels.

I do think that Microsoft gets a lot of flak, but it really is befuddling that they've managed to completely botch this part of it, especially considering their "good old days" strengths in the PC market. It becomes more than befuddling when it leads to less things overall, in the name of trying to compel you to buy their hardware.

I share this sentiment completely.

Competa

Banned
WOW, hold on a minute.
Microsoft bought bungie, remember that, they let them go because they wanted their independence back. ,Microsoft could have said no, but they rewarded bungie with their freedom for making halo as big as it is.
You are writing it as Microsoft is a monster, which they ain't.

Have they handled rare properly ? No, but that doesn't make them a bad publisher.

I thought this was a good post when I came across it in the other thread, though I only know a little about MS's gaming history and couldn't vouch for its accuracy. Nice, quick summary.

It definitely confirmed my impressions of their philosophy/business practices though. How long until a competing thread appears?

nynt9

WOW, hold on a minute.
Microsoft bought bungie, remember that, they let them go because they wanted their independence back. ,Microsoft could have said no, but they rewarded bungie with their freedom for making halo as big as it is.
You are writing it as Microsoft is a monster, which they ain't.

Have they handled rare properly ? No, but that doesn't make them a bad publisher.

You realize that Bungie had to buy their way out, right?

There is no reasons to make excuses for MS. They have the best OS on console. Their console has great build quality and while weaker than their competitor is still pumping out games that look like Ryse, Quantum Break. They have a great number of exclusive titles to play already. If people want to moan about them being 3rd party etc whatever but they already have a diverse game library on Xbox one and the future outlook is great in the arena of exclusive games. Xbox One is the best place to enjoy TV entertainment as well. Its missing a few apps but they are coming. People are pretending that the Xbox one is the worst console to own right now when it excel in many if not most areas. Just my opinion of course. I think its dishonest or maybe out of ignorance that people pretend the XB1 is a train wreck.

Sir, I would advise you to read the OP and then come back to me with a better answer.

I don't care about the TV entertainment.
I don't care about apps I have on my tablet and smartphone.
I do not care about build quality.
I don't care about the OS.

I care about seeing a game come out of Microsoft studios that are either a collaboration with some talented developers from an independent or even third party studio, or a new studio that they have built themselves and believe in that talent.

Yes, I completely see all the new stuff Microsoft has right now and that all good and dandy but we have seen this before. This is Deja Vu. The 360 started this exact same way and then all development ceased. I want to see the fire burning from them to bring something they believe in from their own teams to the table. There's no reason why Rare, an at this point very historical name and team, to be sitting around making Kinect games. Where is the trust in them to make something good, fresh, revitalized, risky? As stated in the OP, they shouldn't be buying studios, closing them killing jobs and then taking that money to buy franchises. On top of that, buying some NFL exclusivity that will span across-the-board all of Microsoft products when what they have already is not being utilized.

tkalamba

I thought this was a good post when I came across it in the other thread, though I only know a little about MS's gaming history and couldn't vouch for its accuracy. Nice, quick summary.

It definitely confirmed my impressions of their philosophy/business practices though. How long until a competing thread appears?

Too bad it isn't entirely accurate, and misses many facts.

PureXbox

Banned
Do you also acknowledge that the method of arriving at income can differ and that enthusiast video game player might prefer one over the others by quite a margin?

Of course I do.

But then again, I can't cheer Suspect A on for stabbing someone to death because I "prefer" the way the knife company markets their product and then run around telling everyone what an awful, awful heinous crime Suspect B has committed because he killed someone with a gun, and that he's the reason anybody anywhere ever died.

KampferZeon

Neo Member
"The investment cost far out weights the amount of income generated." - Incorrect, in a lot of cases. A lot of games make money. And do you really think that Microsoft is losing cash on Xbox Live subscriptions? See my comments on Nintendo cross-branding products as well. Oh, and don't Sony have PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now to make them a boatload of cash?

Actually i didn't get the point of your Nintendo ancient stories.
Are you suggesting Nintendo core business is not gaming?

All three companies are publicly traded.

Their business reports are available for all to see.

See this Microsoft has sunk $3 billion in 10 years.

asfd3221125511352.jpg

How do you rationalize this?

If Microsoft goal is just to make money.

There are many more easier ways to make money.

Two Words

It's funny because you seem to have bought the PR speak also. It's a timed exclusive, just like every one of Paradox's other titles they are putting on PS4 first. Notice how Sony says "console debut" and has publically spoke about their deal with Paradox and Devolver Digital to bring their titles to PS4 first, aka timed exclusive.
But how are they going to release on Xbox One's parity clause?

Percy

Banned

No, I'm fully aware of what it is. Just funny to see a studio that is (apparently) considered MS second party being touted in a list warrior battlepost when they have literally within the past day announced their next game as coming to PS4 with MS' latest console a secondary concern is all.

Sorry if I hit a nerve.

This. Exactly this. I don't care who does it, it's bullshit. As gamers we should all want the creation of more content. Denying content to others is not value-add. Spend that money creating content. Sony, MS or Ninty, I don't care. It's a bullshit tactic.

Last gen I bought all 3 consoles due to the breadth of content. This won't happen this gen unless drastic changes are made.

shandy706

Actually, pointing out that Viva Pinata was missing from the OP was exactly what I was doing. That quote of mine is from the OP.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125180687&postcount=268

Total confirmation bias that a lot of people in this thread just took as gospel.

I missed the first line of that post.

It's crazy that it took 6 pages for someone (you) to come along and point it out. The bolded is the norm here. It happens like crazy even with new game releases.

This is the agenda I was talking about guy who questioned me. Too many threads to remember which one.
Speaking of agendas. I wonder what the agenda was behind this thread being started. Surely it was an attempt to objectively look at Microsoft in the gaming industry, right? The transparency behind this thread is laughable.

Top Bottom