• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for a new wallet recommendation for < $350. Help!

Machine

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/wallets/products/finn-access-wallet

Finn-Access-42-Lifestyle1_1024x1024.jpg

Prez

My wallet is falling apart, but boy, this is not my budget - how am I supposed to buy games otherwise? I jumped in regardless, then realized that even OP's usage priorities don't match mine. Oh well.

Anyone knows if you can print narrow card slots on a school grade 3D printer? I really don't like leather.

You can find plenty of wallets made from other materials:

Recycled tires
Recycled fire hose
Recycled military combat boot (this one's leather though)
Sailcloth (supposedly this is super strong)
Turnout gear material (what firefigher suits are made of)
Carbon Fiber
Cork

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Spending a little more is worth it. A genuine leather wallet (like the ones from Saddleback) will cost at least $50-$100, but will last pretty much forever.

That $20 wallet is going to fall apart.

Leather is cheap man, and there's so little comparably going into a wallet that you can produce them for not much money.

If someone is charging 350 it's for the name and style, not the leather.

mhayes86

I find people that buy $350 wallets to impress other people with their wallets as if it were a Prada bag amusing.

Carry on.

This thread is gold.

My coworker has a Prada wallet. I'm just as blown away that people are capable of blowing that kind of money. But whatever, it's your money.

My wife got me a leather wallet with Majora's Mask carved into it from Etsy. It's been holding up incredibly well over the years.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
If someone is spending $350 on a wallet, what are they spending on other things?

I’ll splurge on my wallet but doesn’t mean I spend top dollar on everything.

Leather is cheap man, and there's so little comparably going into a wallet that you can produce them for not much money.

There’s all kinds of leather.

I just bought this wallet from Jack Spade a couple of months ago but I haven't seen it being sold anywhere anymore:

W6RU0347_408_3_S
W6RU0347_408_1_S

IIRC, cost me $150 at Nordstrom.

I don't carry much, just my license, debit card, credit card and my Costco card. Anything inside the zipper is my insurance card and a spare $60 cash for when I absolutely need it.

I also have a bifold from Coach but it's too dang bulky so I switched to that JS one.

If someone spending $350 on something they love baffles you, I'd argue that you're doing life wrong...

100% agreed.

People who spend this kind of money for a wallet work their asses off so they could buy the things that they love and do the things that they want.

Let people do their own thing...

Mau5

Granted, there are overpriced wallets out there imo: LV, Gucci, Saint Laurent, etc. but a $5 Hot Topic wallet and a $350 calf skin wallet are very different in terms of quality. Not saying that a $5 wallet can't last you a long time because it definitely can.

TaterTots

Banned
That's a lot of money for a wallet. Personally, they are disposable to me. I sit on it all day and rarely pull it out. It's not like I get to go home and play with it. I'll never spend that much on wallets in my lifetime and I'm in my 30's. To each their own.

A lot of judgemental people here. People can have vastly different spending priorities.

My recommendation is any Bellroy or Secrid wallet. Slim, high quality, and can be had for under $200.

Mau5

That's a lot of money for a wallet. Personally, they are disposable to me. I sit on it all day and rarely pull it out. It's not like I get to go home and play with it. I'll never spend that much on wallets in my lifetime and I'm in my 30's. To each their own.

don't sit on your wallet it's bad for your back

Tuck

We’re always looking for the right balance between minimal and sophisticated. The most difficult part is to simplify to get to the HEART of the design, creating pieces with a compelling blend of PERSONALITY and purity.

To do our DESIGNS justice we source quality materials that are assembled by select artisans. A sense of craft and use of traditional techniques lend the pieces a soft and decidedly HUMAN touch. Luxury Lifestyle Accessories With Down To Earth Aesthetics SINCE 2007.
I want to vomit

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, but anyone who has a normal paying job, at least in Germany, can afford a 350€ wallet if they want...

Im not rich btw, have a 360€ wallet and dont think what you are saying is how I think....

You and I must live in different Deutschländer. o_O

Agreed, that's not the standard, non Deutschgaf, it's the exception.

Lot of people complaining in here. Everyone values different things differently. To some - a wallet is worth $20, to others several hundreds. Why crap on them for that?

We all have things that we like that could be construed as frivolous. For some, it's wallets. For others, it's games, or amiibos, or video cards, or whatever.

grumble

And people easily spend 25€ each week for smokes.

Or beer.

Or games.

Or Yeezys.

Or something else they like.

You can just check out GAF and see people like Yeezy shoes by adidas e.g. that cost 250€ or more and I would argue can use them less than 1 year.

Maybe less?

I'm no skeakerhead, and fully think that spending 300 on shoes that cost ten bucks to make is also a pretty big waste of money. Frankly, you also can't buy style - you can be very stylish without spending a lot, and very unstylish after spending tons. Style can't really be bought, but it doesn't stop people from trying.

I'm saying that, from the perspective of looking for a wallet that basically maxes out quality of construction and style, you don't need to spend that much. Beyond that, it's status signaling where the point is to show people that you CAN buy expensive things. That's the incremental perceived value that increases the price. In economics, it's called a luxury good.

None of the other examples are the same, because they all carry with them additional value outside of status signaling. Spend more on games, you get more games. Spend more on beer, you get more beer. Spend more money, get more value. You may not agree with the responsibility of those choices, but they are economically rational within the constraints of consumption spending.

I'm not saying that status signaling is worthless, but I'm saying that is what this is.

This is why we need to tax rich people more. Throw in some price control too

I don't quite disagree with the premise that we should tax rich people more, but the money they spend is still going into the economy and coming back out in wages to go back in for other goods, and so on.

The major worry about rich people not paying taxes is that they sit on their wealth outside the country or spend it outside the country, rather than investing it here or spending it here or saving it here, where it can be used for many other applications.

From a purely economic standpoint, there is nothing wrong with rich folk who are spending money rather than simply sitting on it. And even then, there are exceptions, like The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which spends a lot in wartorn or disease ridden countries to STOP those diseases, vaccinate people, work the land and get rid of insects that cause massive damage to livestock and crops before you even GET to the human toll, so that they can be self-sufficient again.

This is why we need to tax rich people more. Throw in some price control too

You don't have to be rich to afford a $350 wallet...
Is everyone on NeoGAF completely broke? Maybe worry about that first, before coming down on people for wanting to buy something nice for themselves?

Clockwork

100% agreed.

People who spend this kind of money for a wallet work their asses off so they could buy the things that they love and do the things that they want.

Let people do their own thing...

What is tangibly better about a $350 wallet that makes you love it more than a $50 wallet beyond a)being able to say you spent $350 on it as some kind of status symbol or b) brand/label whoring?

In all honestly there probably isn't much difference in terms of quality/workmanship/durability so I have trouble with your line of thinking.

At least with most other goods you are getting something out of spending extra beyond just feeling good about it.

Aizo

Banned
I'm unaware of the price of my wallet, but I do know it's says Bad Mother Fucker in it in large print.

You don't have to be rich to afford a $350 wallet...
Is everyone on NeoGAF completely broke?

Yes. Also we all live in our mother's basement. All of us, in the same damn basement. We can't even afford separate parents. We look with envy on burger flippers and some of us harbour base resentment for pizza delivery drivers with their fancy lah-di-dah mopeds and crash helmets.

And yes, even we could afford a $350 wallet. But we're not going to buy one because a thing that only ever needs to carry a credit card or two and a couple of twenty pound notes for emergencies shouldn't cost more than the value of the notes it carries. It should be unobtrusive and discreet, holding valuable items without drawing attention to them. Ideally it should be abundant and freely available from banks and underground stations.

Mine currently holds a debit card, a Swiss Card multi-tool, a few business cards, some till receipts, and in the outer pocket there's a fiver. Courtesy of London Underground, it will last six months or so and then I'll pick up a new one.

I'm no skeakerhead, and fully think that spending 300 on shoes that cost ten bucks to make is also a pretty big waste of money. Frankly, you also can't buy style - you can be very stylish without spending a lot, and very unstylish after spending tons. Style can't really be bought, but it doesn't stop people from trying.

I'm not saying that status signaling is worthless, but I'm saying that is what this is.

But the same can be said about every fashion object.

"You buy Yeezys as a status-object."
"You buy Air Jordans as a status object."

I personally dont think they are more comfortable or durable than anything else.

What is tangibly better about a $350 wallet that makes you love it more than a $50 wallet beyond a)being able to say you spent $350 on it as some kind of status symbol or b) brand/label whoring?

In all honestly there probably isn't much difference in terms of quality/workmanship/durability so I have trouble with your line of thinking.

At least with most other goods you are getting something out of spending extra beyond just feeling good about it.

The same can be said about shoes though. Why are people wearing Adidas or Nike, when they can buy the 5&#8364; shoes from the turkish market there. And if you want similar quality, just buy the 20&#8364; sport shoes from Aldi.

You could apply it to other stuff too. Imagine a Chinese and a german car manufacturer build the same car, both identical. Both secure. Both looking the same. People would still rather buy the german manufactured one, because a car is a status symbol to a lot of people.

Why cant someone then spend some money on a wallet, bags, purses that maybe costs 300-600&#8364; instead of 30&#8364;?

And yes, even we could afford a $350 wallet. But we're not going to buy one because a thing that only ever needs to carry a credit card or two and a couple of twenty pound notes for emergencies shouldn't cost more than the value of the notes it carries. It should be unobtrusive and discreet, holding valuable items without drawing attention to them. Ideally it should be abundant and freely available from banks and underground stations.

Maybe people have other priorities? If my wife likes a bag and its 500&#8364;, why shouldnt I buy it for her, when I bought a 500&#8364; 980Ti? She likes it and she will use it almost daily.

People on GAF spend money on lootboxes, Gacha-games, Amiibos etc.

Why are people wearing Adidas or Nike, when they can buy the 5€ shoes from the turkish market there. And if you want similar quality, just buy the 20€ sport shoes from Aldi.

I don't run so I don't buy running shoes, which I've found don't weather well. If I did, I'd go for the most comfortable and durable. I'd be a fool not to. Currently wearing a very comfy 19-year-old pair of sandals by Clarkes, which cost about £50 new. In wet weather I put on my nice dry boots.

Why cant someone then spend some money on a wallet, bags, purses that maybe costs 300-600€ instead of 30€?

Nobody is stopping them. Doesn't mean I won't take the piss.

People on GAF spend money on lootboxes, Gacha-games, Amiibos etc.

#Notallgaffers

I don't run so I don't buy running shoes, which I've found don't weather well. If I did, I'd go for the most comfortable and durable. I'd be a fool not to. Currently wearing a very comfy 19-year-old pair of sandals by Clarkes, which cost about £50 new. In wet weather I put on my nice dry boots.

Nobody is stopping them. Doesn't mean I won't take the piss.

Im not criticising people who buy stuff at all. And I can understand people who dont want to spend so much on a wallet.

What I personally dont get is that I can see GAF usually freaking out about new Air Jordans or Yeezys e.g. but now see most people shitting on buying a 350€ wallet that will last them years.

#Notallgaffers

What I am saying is that somehow spending money on such (game skins, digital heroes in a gacha-game, plastic toys) isnt a waste (and you could argue because thats what they like) but spending 350€ on a wallet, that you even might use daily is too much.

jwk94

Im not criticising people who buy stuff at all. And I can understand people who dont want to spend so much on a wallet.

What I personally dont get is that I can see GAF usually freaking out about new Air Jordans or Yeezys e.g. but now see most people shitting on buying a 350€ wallet that will last them years.

What I am saying is that somehow spending money on such (game skins, digital heroes in a gacha-game, plastic toys) isnt a waste (and you could argue because thats what they like) but spending 350€ on a wallet, that you even might use daily is too much.

The items you're listing are different those. Each of those has a reason that they're so expensive. They're either special items in a game, detailed collector's toys, or really nice shoes backed by one of the greatest basketball players of all time.

What's the purpose of a $300 wallet when something cheaper can do the job just fine? That's a genuine question too. Spend your money on whatever you want, so long as you're spending within your means. But I honestly don't know how a $300 wallet differs from something cheaper. Is it just the branding??

The items you're listing are different those. Each of those has a reason that they're so expensive. They're either special items in a game, detailed collector's toys, or really nice shoes backed by one of the greatest basketball players of all time.

What's the purpose of a $300 wallet when something cheaper can do the job just fine? That's a genuine question too. Spend your money on whatever you want, so long as you're spending within your means. But I honestly don't know how a $300 wallet differs from something cheaper. Is it just the branding??

Of course most of the time its the branding. Sometimes not, if its snake- or crocodile leather.

Also I personally dont think the items I am listing are that different.
Special Items in a game are just skins you can "show off", like a luxury item or look at it and feel glad to see it.
Amiibos arent really detailed collector toys, but just toys you put in your room to look at.
Air Jordans are, similar to luxury items, use a brand to show-off. If the same shoes exist, as comfortable as Air Jordans, same form etc. people would still buy Air Jordans. Part of it is "showing off".

Air Jordans also arent worth the asking-price, as well as a 350$ wallet isnt actually worth the asking price.

Well pick it up with people who indulge in the activities you criticise. I'm the guy who is going to wait up to a decade to pick up the as-yet unreleased Game of Thrones Season 1-8 Blu-ray cheaply. Assuming I'm still interested in Game of Thrones.

^ This too.

You answered your own question...

If it makes people feel good about buying a $1 or $350 wallet then that's all there is to it.

Why does GAF care so much about people spending their money on "trivial shit" when we ourselves spend $60 and more on "trivial shit" as well? That to me is the thing I don't get. You don't see normal people barging in the video card thread blasting everyone for wanting to buy one do you?

Why do y'all care so much about how somebody spends their money? It's not yours to begin with.

Again, let people live their own lives.

Quixzlizx

Somewhere, on a fashion forum:

Thread: Looking for a new video card recommendation for < $350. Help!

"This is why nerds shouldn't have money."

"A wallet will last you 30 years... you'll be lucky if a video card lasts you 3."

"This is why we need higher taxes on the rich!"

"Ugh, why do people spend so much money on plastic junk? You could get an exquisite pair of raw denim for $350."

"OP probably spends $3500 on waifus..."

^ accurate.

To no ones surprise, the local selection is proving limited. In part due to them prioritizing the most commonly sold items, in part due to the hurricane (area still recovering in stock in all ranges of business). Many have suggested I come back mid next week, but I'm more likely to end up ordering something online instead.

Just not especially moved by anything I'm seeing just yet. Few more stops here at the mall to go, though so you never know I guess.

I might drive down to Aventura mall in Miami. Not too far away and will probably have a larger selection across the board. Hmm.

Zackat

I have a slim 2 wallet from supr good co. It's really nice and minimal. Holding up pretty well for how long I've had it.

I think it is like $60

^ accurate.

To no ones surprise, the local selection is proving limited. In part due to them prioritizing the most commonly sold items, in part due to the hurricane (area still recovering in stock in all ranges of business). Many have suggested I come back mid next week, but I'm more likely to end up ordering something online instead.

Just not especially moved by anything I'm seeing just yet. Few more stops here at the mall to go, though so you never know I guess.

I might drive down to Aventura mall in Miami. Not too far away and will probably have a larger selection across the board. Hmm.

Good luck on the search. I haven't been to a mall in years. Too big, too many people, traffic sucks getting there, no place to park, and someone's always offering cheap garbage from a little stall no matter where you go.

Probably why I purchase everything online now <.<

Top Bottom