• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for some good old PC exclusive for my 2002 Desktop with The GeForce 4 MX graphics

Already grabbed every Wing Commander game, Freelancher 2, The original SWAT game, The Last Express and Doom

I tried booting up the original deer hunter from 1995 but I keep getting an error for some reason (if someone knows how to fix it please help)

I'm also interested in old FMV games that don't suck, i know they exist

5c16a3fcd14bbd10e4c7c137cc423534.jpg

Banned
Quake III Arena?

You don't have to play it online to have fun.

would Quake Live run on this? I remember it having super low system requirements

edit: LOL it's literally a GeForce 4mx and a 2GHz cpu as the minimum requirement!

so if you can get that thing online my man, click here and get pwned noob!
Quake Live

edit2: ok the steam requirements say Windows 7 og requirements were XP... btw, since when is Quake Live a paid game and on Steam? wtf... when did that happen? and why?

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
There’s a lot of old PC games that can technically run on modern hardware but look and feel off.

-dungeon keeper
-lords of the realm 1/2
-system shock
- heroes of might and magic series
-ultima series

They would probably run and look good on that beast.

Also Mad Dog Mcree is a weird ass FMV game with 10/10 acting performances

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you like strategy games, get my fave pc game if all time Heroes of Might & Magic 3: Complete Edition.

it has all the content and random map generator.

If you can’t find a freeware copy somewhere, it’s like $10 on GOG. Or $3 on deal. It seems in deal every month.

Warlords 3 is another good one but very different in core mechanics and production values.

Fallout 1 and 2, Crusader No Remorse/No Regret, Diablo 1 and 2.

Last edited:

Hugare

I also had a Geforce 4 MX back then!

The lack of pixel shaders sucks, you wont be able to play a lot of classics.

Need for Speed Underground 1 and 2 are a must

Half Life 2 is playable with everything on low, thats how I finished it for the first time

Loading times will suck, tho

There’s a lot of old PC games that can technically run on modern hardware but look and feel off.

-dungeon keeper
-lords of the realm 1/2
-system shock
- heroes of might and magic series
-ultima series

They would probably run and look good on that beast.

Also Mad Dog Mcree is a weird ass FMV game with 10/10 acting performances
How come they look and feel off on modern hardware?

Banned
How come they look and feel off on modern hardware?

some have no FPS caps but aren't really made for high framerates. they didn't run at high enough framerates for it to be an issue back in the day due to slower hardware, so now on modern PCs this becomes an issue. usually it's not issue locking them to a 72hz output or something along those lines but some will still have issues

some games will have weird stutters and hitches which are usually driver/hardware related on modern systems

also some games don't work well with widescreen

and then another set of games has issues with modern Mice and their super high polling rates or high dpi

last but not least, some games don't scale to higher resolutions without mods, and some of these mods aren't that well made. this is especially true for games that use 2D graphics... you'll get either not the vertical res option you need for your modern monitor, or if you get a 1440 vertical res option for example, the HUD might not scale in size and will be extremely tiny and almost illegible on screen, due to the HUD using fixed res 2D sprites

Last edited:

Banned

this is a good one yes. it is a bit weird how you have to set up modern Mouse + Keyboard controls on this but it works once you figured out how to do it.
standard settings are that the mouse literally moves your character lol...
super weird but back then WASD + Mouse was not the standard at all. early FPS pro players either played only on Keyboard or sometimes on flight sticks, so this was still the experimental era of PC shooter controls

Bros, how come I can run Blood II and Half Life but not shitty ass Deer Hunter from 1997?

This is why I hate PC gaming

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I know it later released on consoles, but Max Payne 1 was a show piece on my old 2001 computer, loved it.

Banned
Bros, how come I can run Blood II and Half Life but not shitty ass Deer Hunter from 1997?

This is why I hate PC gaming

the mid 90s were a really strange time for PC as a platform. everything after 2000 is pretty standardized but in the 90s the PC was the fucking wild west of weird hardware.
you had specialized versions of games for certain GPU vendors for example... because these cards had no real standard that they all agreed on so games had to have special modes for some graphics cards and of course had to have a software renderer mode to be mainstream compatible.

and some games simply don't like some CPUs or some GPUs. that was a weird time.

the PC as a gaming platform had weird eras where PC games were a pain in the ass. the mid 90s is one of these eras and the mid-late 2000s was another, but that one was due to shitty console to PC ports with unoptimized controls and shitty PC support.

that weir era in the mid 90s was simply due to the new shiny thingies that were 3D accelerations cards and weird new CPU architectures... also windows got a new version every time Bill Gates farted.

but back to the topic... have you tried running it through DOS Box? windows was still mostly only a visual DOS interface at the time of that game's release... the NT kernel was still a few years off for mainstream windows

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Wasn't the 4 MX just a renamed geforce 2? I remember owning one and seeing missing effects on Splinter Cell 1 (compared to the Xbox version). Then I got a 4 Ti thinking it was just a sidegrade and being very impressed by how much better it was.

Banned
Wasn't the 4 MX just a renamed geforce 2? I remember owning one and seeing missing effects on Splinter Cell 1 (compared to the Xbox version). Then I got a 4 Ti thinking it was just a sidegrade and being very impressed by how much better it was.

the Geforce 4 MX didn't have pixel shaders and was basically a pimped up Geforce 2 MX yes. I still have a 2 MX somewhere... mhh

Last edited:

MrA

step 1 toss that geforce 4 and get a geforce 3 ti, the 4 is just a souped up 2 where as a 3 is the more modern and capable card
then play ultima 9 and wonder what went wrong (hint: everything)

Banned
step 1 toss that geforce 4 and get a geforce 3 ti, the 4 is just a souped up 2 where as a 3 is the more modern and capable card
then play ultima 9 and wonder what went wrong (hint: everything)

or a Geforce 4ti... why go for a 3ti? the 4ti was a direct enhanced version of the 3ti

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Should be able to play MDK on that iirc...I was on a Rage Pro on an iMac G3, and the Geforce 2 came out after that let alone the Geforce 4

Last edited:

Banned
Should be able to play MDK on that iirc...I was on a Rage Pro on an iMac G3, and the Geforce 2 came out after that let alone the Geforce 4

MDK is a Windows 95 game that also runs on DOS... so yeah, I think his 2002 GeForce 4MX PC can run it lol. the game can run on a pentium 60 and with 16MB of ram :messenger_grinning_sweat: so basically 1993 specs

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
some have no FPS caps but aren't really made for high framerates. they didn't run at high enough framerates for it to be an issue back in the day due to slower hardware, so now on modern PCs this becomes an issue. usually it's not issue locking them to a 72hz output or something along those lines but some will still have issues

some games will have weird stutters and hitches which are usually driver/hardware related on modern systems

also some games don't work well with widescreen

and then another set of games has issues with modern Mice and their super high polling rates or high dpi

last but not least, some games don't scale to higher resolutions without mods, and some of these mods aren't that well made. this is especially true for games that use 2D graphics... you'll get either not the vertical res option you need for your modern monitor, or if you get a 1440 vertical res option for example, the HUD might not scale in size and will be extremely tiny and almost illegible on screen, due to the HUD using fixed res 2D sprites

Dabbling with playing old ass games on my own using emulators and whatnot, I get the usual problems like an old DOS game not working right on modern windows, or the game running too fast like it's mach speed.

But something like not working right with modern mouse is interesting. Youd think a mouse is a mouse.

Banned
okay then get the devil inside, a strange bit of survial horror reality show, only could have been made in the late 90s strangeness

I have to replay this as well... last time I played it was in like 2002 or so and I never finished it

Banned
Dabbling with playing old ass games on my own using emulators and whatnot, I get the usual problems like an old DOS game not working right on modern windows, or the game running too fast like it's mach speed.

But something like not working right with modern mouse is interesting. Youd think a mouse is a mouse.

yeah back then mice had a polling rate of maybe 200hz, now 1000hz is standard for gaming mice, with 5000hz mice coming out... and some games have weird judders if you use anything above that. it will sometimes look like extremely annoying framedrops but it's really just your mouse jumping around due to the polling rate.

and then the DPI settings can be an issue too. I recently played an older game and had to make a special config for my mouse in order for it to be playable. because I literally did a 360° spin by moving my mouse less than a centimeter to the right. I usually play high DPI because it feels so much smoother so this old game was super overwhelmed by that lol even on the lowest sensitivity setting

Last edited:

nkarafo

MX cards suck, you could swap it with a Ti and that would open up more possibilities such as DX8 gaming, which was the standard in the early 00s.

yeah back then mice had a polling rate of maybe 200hz, now 1000hz is standard for gaming mice, with 5000hz mice coming out... and some games have weird judders if you use anything above that. it will sometimes look like extremely annoying framedrops but it's really just your mouse jumping around due to the polling rate.
I recall having to change the sample rate of my PS2 mouse back in the 90s, those were the days!
Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm also interested in old FMV games that don't suck, i know they exist
How about Blade Runner or Phantasmagoria? There should be a shitload of Sierra games that fit that FMV + point and click adventure genre.

Make note (if you care about modern versions), theres supposed to be an updated version of Blade Runner coming out soon but delayed.

You mentioned SWAT, so I'm going to assume you have that Sierra game thats tons of real clips and its more like a trial and error game picking the right outcome. I didn't know this existed until now, but there was a SWAT 2 which is actually a real time tactics kind of game. A total 180 of gameplay and graphics.

267102-swat2_005.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom