• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for some good old PC exclusive for my 2002 Desktop with The GeForce 4 MX graphics

Vae_Victis

Banned
Lords of Magic
Unreal 1
Croc 1 & 2

If you're looking specifically for games that are notorious for having issues running on modern PCs and you probably would not be able to run on a more modern system, I'd vouch for Blade of Darkness and Asghan the Dragon Slayer, even though they might be a bit more complicated to get (and still there is no 100% guarantee they will run well or at all, welcome to late 90s / early 2000 PC gaming).

Digity

Rct-box.jpg

Broken_Sword_1_cover.png

Last edited:

Futaleufu

That PC should be good enough to play Serious Sam, both First and Second Encounters. Serious Sam 2 probably runs if you put everything on low.

Ah, the GeForce 4 MX440. Good old AGP interface and it's final years.

You should be able to run the first gen modern shooters like Doom 3, Halo CE, Half-Life 2, BF1942, CoD 2 etc, at 30 fps and classic shooters like UT and Quake 3 Arena comfortably at or above 90 fps, just keep your resolution below 800 x 600, or drop even lower wherever you need them, but that monitor looks like it's a 640 x 480 60hz display, so you should be fine.

Try even older games like Hexen, Heretic, Blade Runner etc from the GOG Store and Deus Ex, System Shock 1 & 2, Max Payne, Serious Sam etc, from Steam assuming you'd prefer Steam over GOG and want all your library there like most people.

Three

If I remember correctly the graphical game for that card that came with it at the time was some game called Evolva. Not a very good game mind.
Edit: nope that came with my Geforce 2 it seems.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Sim city
Civ
Roller coaster tycoon
Pinball fantasies
Duke nukem 3D
Half life 1 and all the expansions
Need for speed underground 2
UT 2004
Red alert 2
Diablo 2

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not sure if it will run, but if you like RTS games, then I'd certainly go for Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War and the fantastic Dark Crusade add on.

Also, speaking of RTS games that will absolutely run on this rig, I'd also go for Total Annihilation. Honestly, it's one of the best RTS games ever made.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Doom 3
Half Life 2
Far Cry
Psychonauts
Star Wars: Republic Comando
Battlefield 2
Splinter Cell
F.E.A.R.

Drew1440

Best thing to do is dual boot Windows 98/Me and XP, since hardware from 2002 will have native drivers for both (98 lost support in 2006), and changes are if you have issues running an older game in XP, 98 or ME will be able to handle it

cireza

I would play Unreal Tournament on this. Either the first one, or try 2003.

Hexen 2 also.

Might & Magic series.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
arx Fatalis was pretty great back in the day,

Loved games like Hexen, kingpin, Shogo Mobile Armor Division and total annihilation.

Yerd

Interstate 76
Diablo 1
Warcraft 2
Descent 2 and 3
Crusader: No Remorse
Moto Racer
Die by the Sword
Fade to Black
Duke Nukem 3D
Star Wars: Jedi Knight
Dungeon Keeper
Baldur's Gate
Icewind Dale
Curse of the Monkey Island
Grim Fandango

I had to go look at my CD tower in the closet packed with 90s era games, still packed and taped up from a move. Complete with some dried up cat puke on the corner of a couple CDs from 15yrs ago.

amigastar

Well if you want more suggestions, how about Incubation? Played it back in the day and was pretty good. It's a tactical game roundbased.

Anyway i can't wait for the year 2041 when people will have old PC's from these days and ask for classic games, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom