• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking to watch Gurren Lagann with someone. The show or the movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKyo

Instead of ressurecting/bumping an ancient thread, I wanted to make a new thread to ask something.

So originally I saw Gurren Lagann when it was first broadcasting in Japan. I was a huuuge Gainax fanboy and the art direction and story premise looked really cool so I was on board from day one. Of course I ended up loving it and the ending blew me away and had quite an effect on me going forward. All in all I ended up watching Gurren Lagann a few times through the years... though I've never actually seen the movie versions of the story. I think at first I immediately thought they'd bastardize the content of the show or cut too much from the experience. But looking back there were definitely a couple filler episodes that could have easily been cut(the bathhouse episode and the beach episode come to mind) so now I'm thinking the movies could potentially be pretty great(but I know almost nothing about them). Cut to today, I've been introducing someone in my life(my gf) to tons of anime she has never seen and she has really become invested in the medium. We don't watch that much anime, but pretty much all the essentials I've seen in the past that she has never seen I've been watching with her, so a few different shows to date. One show I've always wanted to get into with her is Gurren Lagann.. especially because she is a bit of a sci-fi junkie and there's a lot of cool stuff that TTGL does in that realm(especially the second half of the show, which is my favorite half). At one point we watched episode one and she thought it was OK but not great. We haven't gone back to it since, but I still think she would like it if she got a bit more invested in it.

So basically what I'm wondering is how do the movies stack up against the show? Do they cut much important stuff? Is the essential stuff in there improved at all? In the end would it be worth it to try to get her far enough into the series or are the movies a good enough(or better) substitute for the show that we could just get through it in a couple short sessions?

KBA5QZ4.gif

The art style in this show has always blown me away. The super saturated colors and high contrast shadows, along with the unique character designs make it such a spectacle!

Please watch both. The movies are great, and not much important is cut out. But because it goes faster, it doesn't have the time to build up for as big of emotional payouts.

Gravidee

Not a good idea to go with the movies if you plan on showing someone GL for the fist time. They were basically made for people that already saw the episodes.

Show then movies

THIS.

Especially since the Movie has payoffs that assume you've watched the show. They change things, and make things more epic, but that won't have the impact if you watch them first.

That said, it may not a bad way to introduce it to new people who may not sit through the whole show, due to, say, not liking to sit through anime too often.

It's been a while since I've seen them but there's no way the movies come close to replicating the sense of journey in the series.

Slayven

THIS.

Especially since the Movie has payoffs that assume you've watched the show. They change things, and make things more epic, but that won't have the impact if you watch them first.

That said, it may not a bad way to introduce it to new people who may not sit through the whole show, due to, say, not liking to sit through anime too often.

The show is a good steak

The movies are a good steak and a handy

DarkKyo

These are exactly the types of answers I was looking for. I think I've seen one or two scenes from the movies that extend certain sequences and they did look really cool, but I could see them being much cooler for a first time viewer if they are seeing the story the second time around.

Thanks everyone! It's also good to know that the movies are great on their own and are different enough from the show to be their own things.

I guess a follow-up question could be, are there any episodes worth skipping? I think the only one that's really detached from the show is the bathhouse one. I remember even the beach episode had a little character development and a conflict that pertains to the story. Other than that I'm pretty sure every episode is essential, right?

Watch the show and then check out the movies if they still want more. The movies are decent enough, but the show is easily the definitive version and well worth the 27 episode time investment.

DarkKyo

Watch the show and then check out the movies if they still want more. The movies are decent enough, but the show is easily the definitive version and well worth the 27 episode time investment.

So all 27 episodes then? Good to know.

I guess if anything the bathhouse episode
gives us a little extra time with Kamina :p

I recommend sticking to the show, perhaps skipping some episodes, particularly episode 4 (introduces Kittan and his sisters). I'm not sure how well the DVD version of episode 6 (the bathhouse) would go over with your girlfriend, so maybe skip that too.

The final battle is considered to be better in the second movie, and I've seen some suggest watching the show up to the final battle and switching to the movie for the actual thing. Note that the movies spare some characters that die in the show.

Vanish

I watched the show recently on Netflix and it was AMAZING. Where I can watch the movies? Is it on any streaming service or something

Gravidee

These are exactly the types of answers I was looking for. I think I've seen one or two scenes from the movies that extend certain sequences and they did look really cool, but I could see them being much cooler for a first time viewer if they are seeing the story the second time around.

Thanks everyone! It's also good to know that the movies are great on their own and are different enough from the show to be their own things.

I guess a follow-up question could be, are there any episodes worth skipping? I think the only one that's really detached from the show is the bathhouse one. I remember even the beach episode had a little character development and a conflict that pertains to the story. Other than that I'm pretty sure every episode is essential, right?

You can probably skim through most of episode 4. The only real thing important in that episode is the introduction of Kittan and his sisters. You're right about the part in the bathouse so don't skip that part. I think the episode immediately after the Lord Genome finale is a recap episode but it should be pretty obvious when you get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom