• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like The Outer Worlds is going to be an Epic Store exclusive

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Quick question cause is striked me:
Can Steam just pay Devs to have exclusive titles as well?
I mean, it make sense if Steam want to protect future games coming to it.
they could do that if they wanted to but i doubt they'll be doing it any time soon.

let's be under no illusion here...Steam is still massive with average of 47m users daily. Epic store lacks the most basic features and they are spending that Fortnite $ to buy exclusivity. Steam don't need to be worried just yet.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Will be purchasing, not waiting another year just to double click a different icon on this title.
and you're part of the problem. you're basically telling them that this is OK. it's people like you who are to blame.

Yeah, at the end of the day this is what it all boils down to.
not really. it's about principles and integrity.

i could easily just download a game on their store but that's not the point. epic are taking a huge shit on PC gamers and it seems like yous don't care and are happy to let them do it.

Last edited:

Simply_Bry

well it was advertised as releasing on steam but now if you want to play it there you need to wait a year.

talking of advertised....a lot of studios are listing their games on steam and with the amount of users there it's kind of like free advertising. "hey guys look our new game on steam!" "awesome, i'll add it to my wishlist!" "guess what!? we're not actually releasing it on steam at launch any more. go buy it on the Epic store or wait a year. fuck you and your cat, love Obsidian."

sure it's easy to just go install epic launcher and download it but that's not the point. it's the principal. you're being told where you need to buy it from. having it on steam + epic to give players choice would be better. i'll just be buying it on MS Store. Get it up ye Epic.

It is not consumer-friendly to suddenly change the platform they originally targeted, but as I recall a few months back some articles were claiming Steam isn't particularly developer-friendly either. Valve apparently takes a significant amount of revenue for just releasing the game on Steam and many (indie)-developers aren't happy about it. Especially indie-developers should worry about it because they are smaller companies and heavily rely on any revenue. As a Steam user you may not notice what is happening behind the scenes, but game developers don't make games just for your entertainment. If releasing games on EGS turns out to be way more beneficial for them, why start calling them out?

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

“You know what’s a great idea guys? Let’s limit how many people can buy our game! That’d be fucking gnarly right guys! Guys?”

CyRuZ

Banned
"I won't get it on PC, I get it on console instead"
Congrats for still support them! So instead of giving them 50$/€, you give them 60$/€. Gamerlogic 2019. Smh

MultiCore

“You know what’s a great idea guys? Let’s limit how many people can buy our game! That’d be fucking gnarly right guys! Guys?”
You're describing every exclusive. They're not a new thing.

It's not like there's a barrier to entry with the Epic launcher.

Virex

Banned
I'm just going to leave this here

ONAORIV.png

Bkdk

they really are doing a fantastic job in games lineup, one of my most anticipated title for sure, hope they continue to bring more Sony titles to pc, plus games like persona/smt/kingdom hearts and they will be my favorite very soon!

Mattyp

Gold Member
and you're part of the problem. you're basically telling them that this is OK. it's people like you who are to blame.

Yeah granted, but Steam was enough to make me stop PC gaming when they bundled that shit with source and made us all change to a DRM digital only future and then try and shit on consumer rights until my government finally took them to court on the matters so I have absolute 0 love for the company and will support anyone taking it to them.

I would prefer to still get my PC games in nice big boxes with up to 5 dvds. Was that FarCry? I think it was the original FarCry. Even HL2 upset me when they shrunk that shit down to a standard double DVD sized case.

Last edited:
Any game that goes exclusive to Epic Games Store will be on my do-not-buy list. I am not supporting this practice and have already emailed a few developers expressing my concerns if they think about hopping onto the Epic Games Store exclusivity racket. It's an incredibly anti-consumer practice that I hope people are filing SEC(?) complaints over.

Top Bottom