• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Sanctuary

What attributes do I want for a strength build? STR,VIT, and END?

Just focus on STR and END. Get your VIT to around 12 or so, but no more than 15 unless you're hitting NG++. Damage reduction is more important than more health, and raising END gives you more energy (more attacks) and more carrying capacity, which allows you to wear heavier protections and still remain at at least mid speed. Although with my current playthrough I was able to maintain maximum speed the entire time and without a ring that increases your max carrying capacity.

The starting Warrior sword is pretty nice for the moveset, although you should quickly discard it for the weapon you'll get from the first boss. Learn to do jumping attacks by either flicking the stick up and hitting R2, or hitting R2 while sprinting forward. And do them two-handed as much as possible. For enemies turtling behind shields, equip a shield of your own, run into them and hit L1 to open them up for a quick hit. Later you will be strong enough to just do a jumping attack to blast through their shield, and then kill them with the follow-up attack as you land.

Magic is mostly "blah" in this game, but a Warrior can get something from all three schools. However, I would only focus on a single spell after Prayer, since Prayer is a mandatory pick unless you pick the Solace tree. This is what I think are the best abilities for a Warrior from each school:

Solace - Shelter. It does a little bit of damage reflection, but the biggest boon is that it regenerates health. This is important for much later when you get a ring that increases your damage output signifcantly, but you take a bit of damage each time you land an attack. Take this to 3/3.

Brawler - Rage. Rage is completely bugged right now and it only removes the energy requirement for attacks. The rest of what it's supposed to do does not work, and ranks 1, 2 and 3 all do the exact same thing so there's absolutely no benefit for going beyond rank 1. Raising your FTH to around 18 though should at least give you enough mana to cast it two times before having to wait a bit for mana regen.

Deception - Mimic. It basically doubles your damage. Similar to Rage, except more burst potential since the damage happens per swing, instead of you simply getting unlimited swings (which doesn't matter when you are forced to move a lot). Take this to 3/3.

Use Flawless Luck runes (or High Luck Runes) in all weapons and armors that have slots that you're using. Runes are also randomized during crafting, so just use a save crystal and then game the game to get what you want.

My stats for level 50 were: 31 STR, 12 VIT, 20 END, 12 FTH, 8 AGI (base after respec), LCK 0 with Prayer 1/3 and Mimic 1/3.

Agility will help you out, too.

No it won't. Unless you want to waste points to be able to parry a whole four enemy types that a STR build can just blast right through anyway. AGI gives you energy, but END gives more, plus carrying capacity.

Naminator

Banned
Few more shots I posted in the PC thread.

I like some of these enemy designs.

Ohhh man I can not wait until they patch in the option to remove that Chromatic Abomination!

I'm also happy that the DLC is getting released, I like the game even though I still didn't finish it due to some crashes after fighting the
Guardian

But I wish they would focus more of some N+/N++ stuff with the new DLC, 2.5 hours of content that is mostly filled with puzzles seems kind meh to me.

Adding some kind of DLC that would add more to the world like random Boss encounters or new ways to kill existing Bosses for new gear would have been way cooler in my opinion.

kencey

Flawless poison rune on the melee gauntlet FTW
DESTROYS the enemy's armor. The shielded guys melt like butter with 1 heavy attack.

kencey

Beautiful thing.

Z1GVxzs.jpg

My new toy

jonno394

Finished today and now my urge to carry on playing to see the other three endings/trophies has declined dramatically. Might trade it in shortly.

Really enjoyed the game, last chapter upped the difficulty a bit with tougher enemies, boss fight was a bit anti-climactic but I enjoyed where the plot went.

No it won't. Unless you want to waste points to be able to parry a whole four enemy types that a STR build can just blast right through anyway. AGI gives you energy, but END gives more, plus carrying capacity.

I didn't put too much into Agility, just enough to equip a rad 100% physical damage block / 100% Fire damage block shield.

Sanctuary

I didn't put too much into Agility, just enough to equip a rad 100% physical damage block / 100% Fire damage block shield.

Harmony, which is nice, (unless you meant the shield you don't get until the end of the game) but you can get STR shields that have 85% resists that you can bring up to 100% with runes. Stance is also one of the better, lower STR shields that has 75% resist all and 100% physical.

Been looking at this and I'm very intrigued. Can anyone give insights on AI and mechanics abuse? One thing I couldn't stand about DS2 was AI kiting, baiting them off cliffs, crowd bunching up in hallways, etc. Just felt so cheap; not as in "WTF, that was so cheap!" Cheap as in, mechanics often felt poorly implemented and sloppy. Can't stand mechanic exploitation as a "rule" of the game. So yeah, if anyone can give me some insights on that, would appreciate it. Peace.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Been looking at this and I'm very intrigued. Can anyone give insights on AI and mechanics abuse? One thing I couldn't stand about DS2 was AI kiting, baiting them off cliffs, crowd bunching up in hallways, etc. Just felt so cheap; not as in "WTF, that was so cheap!" Cheap as in, mechanics often felt poorly implemented and sloppy. Can't stand mechanic exploitation as a "rule" of the game. So yeah, if anyone can give me some insights on that, would appreciate it. Peace.

Well, a lot of enemies are susceptible to a shield ram move followed by a lunging attack. You can get pretty far on just that combo. It's good fun, however.

Sanctuary

Enemy AI is both stupid and button reading in some cases. You can sneak up to an enemy that is completely unaware (many just stand there with their backs turned forever) and backstab, but if you try to do a jumping attack, they will instantly spin around and either try to block, or swat you out of the air like a fly. Also, many enemies are leashed. If you run too far out from their patrol area, they will despawn/respawn around where you found them and at full health.

Some enemies will also do giant backsteps every single time you hit the attack button, but won't otherwise, and some will turtle behind shields until you try pressing a button, if they don't attack before then. Bosses don't seem to exhibit this behaviour, but they all have predictable attack patterns.

HeelPower

By far the most annoying enemy in the game.

They constantly block,no back stab,You can only get in one hit after you block their attacks.Magic is useful but you gotta constantly wait

Unless there is some easy way to cheese these guys,I find them to be a huge slog to fight and a pain in the ass.

Sanctuary

They constantly block,no back stab,You can only get in one hit after you block their attacks.Magic is useful but you gotta constantly wait

Unless there is some easy way to cheese these guys,I find them to be a huge slog to fight and a pain in the ass.

Yes, there's an extremely easy way to cheese them. Some refuse to use it though because it seems like an exploit or bug. Just run at them and mash L1 with any shield type (works with bucklers too), but keep moving, don't just bash once and try to swipe. Keep moving, keep hitting L1 and they will go down like nothing. Works on bosses too. It does cheapen the game quite a bit and it's not necessary at all, but these enemies ARE annoying until later. At 37 FTH, 3/3 Ram will one-shot them, and a STR build can just poise break with a Jumping R2 into landing R2. AGI can eventually poise break and just combo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, New Game+ is a joke and a half.

I think I got up to the Chamber of Lies in like under two hours. I hated this part of the game, so I think I'll just stop here.

Maybe I'll go back and finish Shadow of Mordor now. That game was pretty damn boring, though.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
In the Rhogar world, how do I dispell those large orange magic barriers you see in a couple of places? I've done everything else in this place but I don't want to leave in case I can't come back.

HeelPower

Just run at them and mash L1 with any shield type (works with bucklers too), but keep moving, don't just bash once and try to swipe. Keep moving, keep hitting L1 and they will go down like nothing. Works on bosses too.

ok this technique is pretty cool.I didn't know about this!

BumRush

Beat it last night and immediately jumped into NG+...killed the first 3 bosses in under 45 minutes. I'm excited to respec and try a faith build instead of strength this time. Any tips?

kencey

Sprint+Shield Up+heavy attack.

BumRush

Where's the key for the shard of heroes door again? I literally did it a week ago but I'm on ng+ and want to respec and the door is locked!!

Sanctuary

Where's the key for the shard of heroes door again? I literally did it a week ago but I'm on ng+ and want to respec and the door is locked!!

It's next the statue, by the stairs leading down after the First Warden room. You have to jump over that small border to reach it.

Just picked this up... stuck on the first enemy. It tells me to hold the left analog to the left or right and press x, but nothing happens. Am I bugged? Not a great experience 1 minute in...

EDIT: Had to just start a new game. Weird...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, despite the graphical and audio bugs and the occasional crash to (PS4) desktop, I must say that this is a pretty stellar effort for these devs. Particularly going by their last Action RPG, Venetica.

I just beat three times for the three separate endings, using a bit of PSN cloud save cheating to speed that up. Without too much issue, I managed to chase down all of the other trophies that can possibly be done in a single run, and am now seriously considering starting a new class in order to get the second of three class-related game clear trophies.

Figure, I platinumed all three Souls games, so why not go for this one as well?
Looking forward to the just announced expansion, as well.

AwRy108

Agree so much with this! For me, these enemies changed this game from the "challenging but rewarding" feeling to the "screw the terrible balance" feeling.

Yes, there's an extremely easy way to cheese them. Some refuse to use it though because it seems like an exploit or bug. Just run at them and mash L1 with any shield type (works with bucklers too), but keep moving, don't just bash once and try to swipe. Keep moving, keep hitting L1 and they will go down like nothing. Works on bosses too. It does cheapen the game quite a bit and it's not necessary at all, but these enemies ARE annoying until later. At 37 FTH, 3/3 Ram will one-shot them, and a STR build can just poise break with a Jumping R2 into landing R2. AGI can eventually poise break and just combo.

Thanks for all the info. here! I'll have no remorse if I have to cheese these guys to death, as apparently the devs had no problem making such lousy design decisions about enemy balance. Looking forward to smiting these bastards!

HF2014

Just got this game, not installed yet. Is there a difficulty level you recommand to put the game to enjoy it and make me rage as much as Dark Souls? Im a bit sadomasochist hehe. Heard its easier that Dark Souls but wondering if there is a way to make it very challenging

Ferr986

Just got this game, not installed yet. Is there a difficulty level you recommand to put the game to enjoy it and make me rage as much as Dark Souls? Im a bit sadomasochist hehe. Heard its easier that Dark Souls but wondering if there is a way to make it very challenging

Play as a Rogue. Warrior is easy mode.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
new patch is up

The following features have been added to the game:
Separate Chromatic Abberation setting (Post Chromashift)
Invert X-axis option
Toggle target switching after killing an enemy option
A warning message when the user enables very high resolution textures (performance and stability issues)

List of fixed technical issues:
Damage value displayed in the inventory when a non-physical weapon is equipped
Sudden contrast changes at the outdoor areas
Missing cursor when displaying message boxes in the game
The splash screens timings that were incorrect on some machines
Scaling for weapons with an attribute requirement lower than 10
First tutorial issue with message box not popping up
Chinese localization issue

List of fixed game design issues:
Planetarium issue where you could get stuck if you died and killed a foe simultaneously
Improved the catacombs pit issue fix- if a player is stuck down there, he will get teleported
Boss extro cutscenes that were triggered when the player and the boss died simultaneously
Incorrect respawn position after death if the player skipped the tutorial
Improved targeting when using Right Stick/button wheel
Rune of Adyr' issue; The rune has been removed from the inventory when starting NG+
Player position when approaching the first tutorial foe
The Crippled Rhogar quest issues; The NPC will now offer the mission even after the player has rejected his initial offer; The NPC will now correctly accept humans skulls in his initial conversation with the player
The crippled Rhogar voice-over after its death
Gate leading to Commander arena; Yetka will no longer close the gate if the enemies are not on the arena
The issue concerning the final boss falling through the floor
The random death after respawn during the final boss encounter
The Guardian boss weapon issue
The issue with the key to the Gardens being dropped too early
Model of portal leading to the Hand of God was changed
Chest in the First Warden arena was removed
Curse weapon issue; The weapon no longer grants additional luck attribute points

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
new patch is up

Sweet. I wonder if CA can be disabled on PS4 too...

Speaking of graphics, I hope there's some way to disable the "dirty lens" / lensflare effect when playing outside. It looks like absolutely dog shit, actually impedes visibility, and it doesn't fit the setting one bit. WTF were they thinking?

Glad they're improving the lock-on. It's actually really terrible right now. Auto-locking to the next enemy after killing an enemy is already much needed, but the right stick swapping works really poorly right now. Sometimes even carefully tapping doesn't swap target and when I'm in the middle of combat it can be really infuriating.

Speaking of bugs, I haven't seen this in the patch notes so I gotta ask. Anyone ever had this glitch where, you're fighting this enemy, and he suddenly retreats in the middle of combat, back to its spawning/starting position, briefly disappears, and then respawns at full health? I've had that happen to me multiple times, particularly in the pit/prison area. Very annoying. I've also had these mutated monsters not really die (even though I know they took enough damage to die) but instead get knocked down, their bodies remaining lifeless on the ground for a few seconds (and unable to take damage), then they suddenly get back up at full health and I have to kill them again. WTF? Am I missing something here? It seems so random.

Also, can someone explain how the potion refill works exactly? Sometimes checkpoints refill all my potions, sometimes it just heals me without refilling them, and sometimes it refills them only partially (I went from 3 to 5 once, even though my max is currently at 8). I did see a loading screen tip mentioning there are sometimes restrictions on potion refills, but I couldn't find any further explanation. Very confusing.

I've also had a checkpoint that refused to work. It was there, glowing, but I couldn't interact with it. I had to quit the game and reload for it to work. Oh and I've had the disappearing voices glitch too. -_-

On the plus side I haven't noticed any tearing. But I have noticed some framerate drops. Actually the game doesn't run so well, to be honest. Overall it seems as bad, if not worse, than Dark Souls (outside of Blighttown :p). I know it's a smaller dev and all but that's kinda disappointing for next-gen...

Blu10

Also, can someone explain how the potion refill works exactly? Sometimes checkpoints refill all my potions, sometimes it just heals me without refilling them, and sometimes it refills them only partially (I went from 3 to 5 once, even though my max is currently at 8). I did see a loading screen tip mentioning there are sometimes restrictions on potion refills, but I couldn't find any further explanation. Very confusing.

It's dependant on the number of crystals floating around it. For example, if you have 8 empty potions, and it has 4 crystals around it, when you use it, 4 potions will be refilled. You'll notice the 4 crystals will break. They will respawn after a while though, so you can continue to reuse them if you wait or come back to it later.

Doombear

It's dependant on the number of crystals floating around it. For example, if you have 8 empty potions, and it has 4 crystals around it, when you use it, 4 potions will be refilled. You'll notice the 4 crystals will break. They will respawn after a while though, so you can continue to reuse them if you wait or come back to it later.

Wow. What?! When was this explained in the game and how did I utterly miss it?

Just focus on STR and END. Get your VIT to around 12 or so, but no more than 15 unless you're hitting NG++. Damage reduction is more important than more health, and raising END gives you more energy (more attacks) and more carrying capacity, which allows you to wear heavier protections and still remain at at least mid speed. Although with my current playthrough I was able to maintain maximum speed the entire time and without a ring that increases your max carrying capacity.

The starting Warrior sword is pretty nice for the moveset, although you should quickly discard it for the weapon you'll get from the first boss. Learn to do jumping attacks by either flicking the stick up and hitting R2, or hitting R2 while sprinting forward. And do them two-handed as much as possible. For enemies turtling behind shields, equip a shield of your own, run into them and hit L1 to open them up for a quick hit. Later you will be strong enough to just do a jumping attack to blast through their shield, and then kill them with the follow-up attack as you land.

Magic is mostly "blah" in this game, but a Warrior can get something from all three schools. However, I would only focus on a single spell after Prayer, since Prayer is a mandatory pick unless you pick the Solace tree. This is what I think are the best abilities for a Warrior from each school:

Solace - Shelter. It does a little bit of damage reflection, but the biggest boon is that it regenerates health. This is important for much later when you get a ring that increases your damage output signifcantly, but you take a bit of damage each time you land an attack. Take this to 3/3.

Brawler - Rage. Rage is completely bugged right now and it only removes the energy requirement for attacks. The rest of what it's supposed to do does not work, and ranks 1, 2 and 3 all do the exact same thing so there's absolutely no benefit for going beyond rank 1. Raising your FTH to around 18 though should at least give you enough mana to cast it two times before having to wait a bit for mana regen.

Deception - Mimic. It basically doubles your damage. Similar to Rage, except more burst potential since the damage happens per swing, instead of you simply getting unlimited swings (which doesn't matter when you are forced to move a lot). Take this to 3/3.

Use Flawless Luck runes (or High Luck Runes) in all weapons and armors that have slots that you're using. Runes are also randomized during crafting, so just use a save crystal and then game the game to get what you want.

My stats for level 50 were: 31 STR, 12 VIT, 20 END, 12 FTH, 8 AGI (base after respec), LCK 0 with Prayer 1/3 and Mimic 1/3.

Thank you

AXE

Is Luck a worthwhile attribute?

Restarted the game with a warrior and it's been a cakewalk. The 2handers are overkill especially with running attacks. I found that the flaming sword you get from the first boss has an attack arc that pretty much prevents the big baddies behind the citadel hitting you - you just have to have the nerve to run straight at them and do a jump attack. The big baddies being the first properly powerful enemies over some back entrance - the bigger shield enemies. The flamesword handles like this towards almost everything.

Rushing monsters makes the game stupidly easy up to this point. Even the scary tree monsters were felled with a combo of jump + few light swings.

How many different enemy types the game has? More or less than 20?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Oh wow. Thanks. I had no idea. I must have missed the in-game explanation... if there was even one?

theDeeDubs

Finished up last night by getting the last two achievements I needed on a warrior/brawling run. Before that, I decided to reroll (like I always seem to do after 5 hours or so into my first play through of an RPG) and played a rogue/solace and then on to finish ng+ by adding the rogue spell tree. Mostly smooth sailing until the final boss in ng+. I ended up with an agi/fai hybrid that just didn't have the damage output to offset a healing move he does in his ng+ version. It took me a good hour to beat him whereas the rest of ng+ felt like a speedrun in how easy it was. I really enjoyed the game overall but I still feel they screwed up the light armor path by how slow he is to get up from even the fastest roll and enemy animation recovery.

blado

Does anyone know of a decent way to force anti-aliasing? Forcing with nvidia control panel doesn't work for me. Really loving the look of the game without chromatic aberration. Everything is just so much clearer, which also means aliasing is more noticeable to me.

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone else been unable to right click while on the neogaf website. Works in every other tab, but when I right click in neogaf nothing comes up.

bodine1231

Can't decide on PC or PS4. I have a beast PC but I'll have to get digital of course,PS4 used is $10 more but I can sell it later. Decisions decisions...

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Beat the game. 20 hours according to Steam. Really enjoyed it despite the flaws.

What it did right:

- Feel of the combat. Everything had heft and purpose and when your weapon made contact with an enemy it was satisfying. Definitely a step up from Dark Souls.

- A decent variety of loot.

- A well laid out menu system that was easy to navigate

- The Warrior class was fun and I ended up being a walking Death God by the end so that was satisfying.

- Graphics are simply amazing. Overall the best looking game this year (although The Vanishing of Ethan Carter has a better aesthetic) and easily the best lighting engine I've ever seen. Bloodborne's going to have to do something special to top LotF graphic wise although it will be better from an art direction point of view.

- Sound design and music. High quality audio effects and music helped with the atmosphere.

- Playing in effectively one big are that over the course of the game you unlock short cuts was really neat and remined me of Dark Souls but...

What needs improvement::

- ... A much wider variety of locations would have really helped to make the game more interesting.

- Stability. This game was a mess at launch and would crash over and over again. Turning off Nvidia Turbulence and the subsequent patches definitely fixed most of that for me thankfully.

- Story. The overall idea was decent but the execution was ham-fisted and the overall story beats too vague.

- The magic system in this game was far too under-cooked. Needed more variety both mechanically and aesthetically.

- Camera and lock-on. Whoo boy, did this drive me batty. Lock on would only really work if there was only one enemy in the near vicinity and even then my attacks sometimes wouldn't register despite clearly making contact. There was even occasions I would do a leaping finishing blow that would slow-down time and still not register! To make matters worse, enemy attacks would hit me despite being out of the way at times. Dark Souls 2 had this problem as well.

- Voice acting ranged from decent to bad and the very poor facial animation didn't help things at all.

- Audio placement issues with some sounds being crammed in the rear channels (an enemies death scream for example)

Overall, a game with a solid foundation that could easily be improved on with a sequel. I really hope the game sells well enough not only for a follow-up but one with a bigger budget allowing for more scope and grandeur.

In my top 3 for Games of the Year, behind The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Dark Souls 2.

Ferr986

Im at the Chamber of Lies on my NG+ run but Im fairly bored to continue. Not just because its being easier (that happened on the Souls games too). I think its the low number of enemy types. I keep fighting the same turtling enemies or annoying wizards.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Aaaaaand the platinum!

OK, so what's the deal with getting the ability to translate runes from Yetka?
I played through the games three times, tackling the Rhogar Realm 2.0 / Chamber of Lies events in a different order each time, and somehow managed to break Yetka's quest all three times. Kind of curious as to what went wrong, if anyone out there has managed to get the translation item from her...

Top Bottom