• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen - worth it?

So I've been itching for a Soulslike game for a while. I followed lords of the fallen around the time of its release. It had some strong critiques so I just decided to pass on it. However, I never really looked at my impressions from gaf. It's still pretty high price RN, but is it worth it if I'm really wanting a souls-like experience?

PanzerCute

I did not like it for many reasons.

The aesthetic and visuals are very, very generic and every zone has been done way better by other games. The music are very forgettable, sound design is okay, voice acting is terrible.

In terms of level design, this is also very disappointing. Yes, the world is interconnected but it is fucking useless, and the levels are very linear and never open up.

The main idea of the game, the two worlds, is also disappointing imo. Yes, it can make for some nice puzzles and sometimes made exploration better, but in reality it is very limited and a better level design would have done the same.

Technically the game is a mess (played it on PS5): IQ is very raw, there is a lot of ugly stuff (clipping, LOD, some meh textures) and the framerate is sometimes really bad.

The gameplay is also not that great. The dodge timings are very easy to understand and combat is a bit simplistic. Ennemy variety is also a big downside: you will fight the same ennemies over and over, and at the end the game just piles up the toughest ones to make some very boring fights.

It is not a bad game, not by any means: there are some really cool bosses, exploration can be rewarding with a few hidden zones and it is always fun to play a game that understands the basics of the formula, but it is pretty damn average in the end and not worth the price.

I would advise to wait for a deep sales.

Ogbert

No. The game actively irritated me. It’s not just shit. It’s cheap, soulless (pun intended), artificially difficult and annoying.

On PS5, the image is so grainy, you feel like you’ve had a stroke and compromised your vision.

Absolutely hated it.

That said, others did enjoy it.

mdkirby

So I've been itching for a Soulslike game for a while. I followed lords of the fallen around the time of its release. It had some strong critiques so I just decided to pass on it. However, I never really looked at my impressions from gaf. It's still pretty high price RN, but is it worth it if I'm really wanting a souls-like experience?
As others have said. Just get lies of p. If u have games pass, it’s “free”, if not, it’s worth the asking price. It’s great, and pretty much on par with some of fromsofts work, little more linear, and I’d say slightly more forgiving.

SCB3

If you've already beaten Lies of P and Remnant 2, sure, its a decent enough game but I was not a fan of the little I played

Spyxos

Gold Member
I have only beat the first boss, but from the little I've seen, I'd say save your money for something better.

DavidGzz

I love it. Devs are actively supporting it too. Just a few days ago they added spells, armor sets, and quality of life updates. I play on PC with a 4070ti, idk if I'd change my mind if I played on console. I doubt it since 360 Dark Souls was still amazing. I just love this genre and setting.

Lux R7

I love it. Devs are actively supporting it too. Just a few days ago they added spells, armor sets, and quality of life updates. I play on PC with a 4070ti, idk if I'd change my mind if I played on console. I doubt it since 360 Dark Souls was still amazing. I just love this genre and setting.

basically this (but 3090), i'll add that the world structure is like a bigger Lordran, i loved this aspect of the game.

Hunter 99

I'm the same as you OP,I played lies of p to 100% completion and loved it.
I've now taken the plunge on lof, it was on sale for £29 on amazon UK and wanted another souls like experience.
I know its a mixed bag on what players like and don't like but love the genre so I think its worth my time considering I'm not getting rise of Ronin.(I'm waiting for wukong in august)🙂

Horatius

i like it a lot so far; a lot of people say if you like dark souls 2 you'll enjoy it and i kinda see what they mean (but then i loved DS2).

also honestly it's by far the easiest souls game ive played, so i dont really get a lot of the complaints about cheapness or difficulty. if you beat lies of p you'll have no problem, it's significantly easier.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I uninstalled it for a second time. I don’t like the way the character plays. The lamp felt better before I used it. I recommend Ashen if you haven’t played that yet.

Its better than Lies of P in level design and combat to combat scenarios by miles. Boss fights are average to easy in difficulty so this up to each's preference. The main story is meh, worse than Lies of P but it has a ton of lore. Soundtrack is much worse than Lies of P. Atmsophere overall better than Lies of P, visuals as well. Take that as you will. To me people who loved Lies of P play souls-like games for the wrong reasons. Level design is huge factor to me and LotF is as if not similar to Dark Souls in that regard. Oh right, the enemy variety is dog shit tho so..yeah huge bummer on that. Like REALLY BAD.

Overall I gave it a 7.2/10 just like I gave Lies of P. Nioh 2 and The Surge remain kings of souls-like.

Last edited:
Yes. Lords of the Fallen is like Costco Kirkland brand Dark Souls. You know it's not the real one, but it's not bad. It's good, even.

However, Nioh 1/2 and Wo Long are better than Lords of the Fallen and Lies of P. If you haven't played those, I highly recommend it.

Top Bottom