• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Are they like Carne Asada fries?

FWPK2l.jpg

soogoood.gif

Better. Because the fries are thick steak-cut style, and there are more toppings.. sour cream, guacamole, green onions, cilantro and I dunno whatever else. You can get carne asada, or you can get chorizo, carnitas, chicken, al pastor or whatever you want. Basically you want this.

Sobriquet

Probably too many drunk people, were they giving out free alcohol? That's usually the reason.

Too crowded, I suppose. They never actually gave him a reason, they just turned off the lights and kicked everyone out. But he sold six big pieces and a bunch of prints, not bad for two and a half hours! :)

Zyzyxxz

Too crowded, I suppose. They never actually gave him a reason, they just turned off the lights and kicked everyone out. But he sold six big pieces and a bunch of prints, not bad for two and a half hours! :)

yeah its crazy how much of a scene it's become now. It's nice and lively but at the same time it can be a bit crazy if you aren't careful.

If anyone is interested in prints from the Multiplayer x2 show you can get them online right now.
http://nineteeneightyeight.com/collections/multiplayer-x2?page=1

The Olly Moss Mario and Zelda prints are sold out. Everything else seems to be in stock.

I just bought the Contra and Red Dead Redemption ones at the gallery. I love the guys on the Contra one. Now I need to find somewhere to get em framed.

The guy selling them said there was going to be another print of the Bowser one.
Edit: I believe he said the artist was going to have another print. I'm not sure if you can get through this gallery.
Edit 2: The ones I purchased are below.

wXR6L.jpg

YOK5W.jpg

JLG-

I just bought the Contra and Red Dead Redemption ones at the gallery. I love the guys on the Contra one. Now I need to find somewhere to get em framed.

The guy selling them said there was going to be another print of the Bowser one.
Edit: I believe he said the artist was going to have another print. I'm not sure if you can get through this gallery.

Yeah i believe they are going to sell the rest of the Bowser prints and the red variant version online.

At the show they only had 50 in hand so that leaves what i assume to be around 100 of the regular edition left plus 50 of the red variant.

The artist Olly Moss actually posts on GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34714622&postcount=199

On twitter he said it will go on sale sometime this week.
Follow him on twitter to stay up to date @ollymoss

My roommate is home from his weekend abroad and told me that his boyfriend will be staying with us for a week. Now he's blasting his music.

Are there any good 24/7 coffee shops I can get work done near Hollywood? I cannot be in my apartment right now.

just go to a Denny's

d0c_zaius

Found a 20$ bill on the sidewalk in SM. Then got into a minor fenderbender and the dude didn't care!

I got to say, yesterday was a good day.

Duderz

Banned
LA GAF, just last weekend I made the trek from San Diego to both the Forest Lawn Memorial for a Syd Mead show (if you've seen Blade Runner...or anything sci-fi, you've seen work influenced by him) that is totally free, and to the Gene Autry museum (just across the street from the LA Zoo) for the Masters of the American West show. Both were absolutely incredible, and if any of you have any sort of passing interest in art I HIGHLY recommend checking both out. The American West show is $10 but oh so very worth it.

Details:

http://theautry.org/masters-of-the-american-west-2012/overview

http://www.forestlawn.com/Special-Events-And-Facilities/Event-Detail.asp?EventID=201

LA GAF, just last weekend I made the trek from San Diego to both the Forest Lawn Memorial for a Syd Mead show (if you've seen Blade Runner...or anything sci-fi, you've seen work influenced by him) that is totally free, and to the Gene Autry museum (just across the street from the LA Zoo) for the Masters of the American West show. Both were absolutely incredible, and if any of you have any sort of passing interest in art I HIGHLY recommend checking both out. The American West show is $10 but oh so very worth it.

Details:

http://theautry.org/masters-of-the-american-west-2012/overview

http://www.forestlawn.com/Special-Events-And-Facilities/Event-Detail.asp?EventID=201

funny, these are two of my regular hangouts

Duderz

Banned
I hadn't ever been to Forest Lawn before - pretty cool to see a replica of David, and an actual Bouguereau (yes I had to look up on Google how to spell his name) just hanging out there! We could only stay for a little while, so I'm thinking I need to go back sometime before the show ends.

There's so much to see too at the American West show; lots to take in.

FStop7

Banned
The 118 is ridiculous. The moment the first drop of water hits it spontaneously turns into the cannibalism scene from Event Horizon.

TheTowel

LA drivers are the worst.

Learn how to huge a turn signal. Come on. It's not hard.

In my experience, it's the out of towners, the transplants, who don't use a signal. Always use that shit.

People equate living in Los Angeles with LA people. Half of the people move here from who the fuck knows where.

FStop7

Banned
When it rains it's the native Angelinos who go nuts because they have no experience. They either become rolling roadblocks or drive way too fast.

TheTowel

People definitely drive crazier in the rain, but its not entirely the"natives" fault. When it rains, all of the grease and oil that has built up on the road becomes a slip and slide. Months of build up.

People definitely drive crazier in the rain, but its not entirely the"natives" fault. When it rains, all of the grease and oil that has built up on the road becomes a slip and slide. Months of build up.

This is very true but this also means one should be even more aware of what they are doing on the road since greasy wet roads should be common knowledge.

Im looking to see some professional dancing and as I am looking I realized LA ain't got much of that going on...I feel like we need more culture :(

Zyzyxxz

In my experience, it's the out of towners, the transplants, who don't use a signal. Always use that shit.

Dude almost nobody uses signals in LA especially in Downtown because as soon as I hit my signal the car in the next lane speeds up so I can't get in.

It's like if you signal it's a sign of weakness for someone to take advantage of you. Pretty bullshit but I've gotten use to it.

UrokeJoe

Dude almost nobody uses signals in LA especially in Downtown because as soon as I hit my signal the car in the next lane speeds up so I can't get in.

It's like if you signal it's a sign of weakness for someone to take advantage of you. Pretty bullshit but I've gotten use to it.

Seems that is everywhere now. Freaking hate it! People that speed up and have clearly lost the race(far enough behind) are the ultimate douche bags.

Yeah, the craziest I'd ever experienced a person's rain driving was from my old roommate, an east coast native.

Better than San Diegans...They signal briefly after they've cut you off...

Puddles

Banned
What I do is get the front end of my car into the next lane as soon as there's an opening (if traffic is moving slowly). The guy behind you can't say no at that point.

If traffic is moving quickly, I just go for it and trust my maneuvering skill.

TheTowel

What I do is get the front end of my car into the next lane as soon as there's an opening (if traffic is moving slowly). The guy behind you can't say no at that point.

If traffic is moving quickly, I just go for it and trust my maneuvering skill.

Just get the front end in and throw up a wave.

I dunno, I am a very defensive driver and I really have no issues with LA drivers in the least. It's always when I leave LA that I start seeing crazy shit.

Like this asshole who just ran me off the road in Northern Arizona while passing on a two lane highway coming the other way. UGH. So lucky I was at one of the areas with a proper shoulder.

Part of the prob is generally bad drivers, but I agree most of it is out of towners or those new to the city. It's taken me years to master the freeways in which ways to take and which lanes will merge (haven't fully mastered it). The worse traffic is the one in the Citadel area where there is no reason for traffic besides people reading the billboards :(

Back to the food...I had Titos Tacos yesterday and hot damn it is overrated. It's good, and probably the best hard shell tacos I've had, but it doesn't even compare to El Taurino/King Taco IMO.

Puddles

Banned
There are plenty of surface streets that allow you to bypass the 405 entirely, and no, they aren't "just as crowded" most of the time.

I haven't taken the 405 north of El Segundo in years.

UrokeJoe

take the streets like I do whenever I see west on the 10 slow like motha on sig alert.
Google maps is your friend.

Near the end of last year my dad had a stay at UCLA medical center. We stayed a couple of days at the Hotel that looks like Capital records right there at the 405 and where the Sunset strip crosses it. Sunset was closed for repairs. It was a total nightmare getting around, even being so close.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Near the end of last year my dad had a stay at UCLA medical center. We stayed a couple of days at the Hotel that looks like Capital records right there at the 405 and where the Sunset strip crosses it. Sunset was closed for repairs. It was a total nightmare getting around, even being so close.

should've parked the car somewhere and walked. you've got lets dont you? :p

Demy

The next LA GAF get together should be a pub crawl

Yes! I was really wanted to catch up to this entire thread before posting but this made me stop and concur.
7 Grand is great btw. I'm eager to try out some of the restaurants and food trucks that've been mentioned thus far.
No love for after hours Thai food spots? Wish I could name the karaoke one I went to but I was too far gone to remember the name.

Seth C

Yes! I was really wanted to catch up to this entire thread before posting but this made me stop and concur.
7 Grand is great btw. I'm eager to try out some of the restaurants and food trucks that've been mentioned thus far.
No love for after hours Thai food spots? Wish I could name the karaoke one I went to but I was too far gone to remember the name.

HP and I want to do a DTLA pub crawl in March. What day works for everyone? Between March 6 and March 20?

We're definitely thinking of doing that. We've got a few gaffers coming into town in March, so we'll try to coordinate with that. Problem with most of LA's bars is that they can't handle large parties (when it's prime time, anyway). If we went early, I'll bet we could take over 7 grand, though...

EDIT: Haha. Dammit, Seth. Stalking the thread at the same time as me. :)

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
We're definitely thinking of doing that. We've got a few gaffers coming into town in March, so we'll try to coordinate with that. Problem with most of LA's bars is that they can't handle large parties (when it's prime time, anyway). If we went early, I'll bet we could take over 7 grand, though...

EDIT: Haha. Dammit, Seth. Stalking the thread at the same time as me. :)

never been to 7 grand even though I do pass by there frequently...looks really fancy...do you have to dress hipsterish to het in?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

where are some good thai food spots? ive been craving some since ive been back from oregon.

Top Bottom