• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Babalu.

lived in Walnut my whole life. rowland heights/walnut/industry/whittier/pico/la habra are my main stomping grounds.

late night fu banana bay albertos or molca salsa is where its at.

240 meets and basketball at rowland park off colima are where i'm at. no more arcade infinity damnit.

lived in Walnut my whole life. rowland heights/walnut/industry/whittier/pico/la habra are my main stomping grounds.

late night fu banana bay albertos or molca salsa is where its at.

240 meets and basketball at rowland park off colima are where i'm at. no more arcade infinity damnit.

Didn't Walnut get one of the first Street Fighter 4 arcade cabinets? I remember an old boss from Chicago told me about it and he was tempted to drive all the way out there the next time he was in LA on business.

Zyzyxxz

IMHO the best is Fat Spoon, which opened recently in Little Tokyo, next to Daikokuya.

I also like CoCo Ichibanya (a chain from Japan) and Curry House.

Agree with you except for Curry House, I find their curry too sweet.

when we hang, you're taking me to ding tai fung in arcadia.
i've been craving dim sum for months.

DTF is alright but pricey for what it is, you can get similar quality stuff at 1/2 the prices of what they charge elsewhere.

As for dim sum there's plenty to choose from.

DTF is alright but pricey for what it is, you can get similar quality stuff at 1/2 the prices of what they charge elsewhere.

As for dim sum there's plenty to choose from.

recommend any good cheap dim sums in that area?

Argyle

Understandable - I think they are generally reliable (although not amazing), but last time I was there though I got a beef curry they had on special, and I didn't care for it that much.

Seth C

If you guys didn't, like, own houses and stuff already I'd recommend moving the entirety of XSEED up here to Portland or Seattle. Sure it gets colder but the public transit actually, you know, exists.

Anyway, been to LA, not too fond of it, mostly due to the lack of natural precipitation (and thus greenery) and heat. Robin actually hates it with a dire passion and was a bit grumpy when we made a trip to AnineExpo last year.
emot-v.gif
If CF goes this year, I may be goin' alone!

I spent a week in LA just in December. Public transit is fine. I didn't have a car and got everywhere I wanted to go, be it Hollywood, Pasadena, or Santa Monica, on public transit. The direness of the situation is vastly overblown.

On the same trip I spent a few days in Seattle and the only public transit I had to use was the monorail to the Space Needle because quite frankly Seattle is so tiny I would rather just walk the rest of it. :p

Argyle

As a Midwest expat living in Pasadena and dissatisfied with California pizza I'll have to try this out. It actually looks pretty good based off the photos.

Since you live nearby, you may have already been there, but have you tried Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock (I'm not the first to mention it)? It reminds me of Chicago-style thin crust (cut into squares) or St. Louis style (minus that cheese blend they have in St. Louis)...

If you go, I recommend getting eggplant and sausage on your pizza. I didn't really understand the appeal of the place until I tried that combination and now I am a believer. (The eggplant is actually eggplant Parmagiana, it works really well...) Oh yeah, it's cash only and very crowded at peak times...

Pizza is something that I don't feel is really LA's strong suit, but there are some good places out there. Mozza is good (but expensive), and my favorite "everyday" (read: somewhat affordable) pizza is probably Pitfire (multiple locations, nearest to you is probably downtown LA).

I do also like Petrillos (show restraint when ordering toppings, they are generous and you can easily exceed the structural capacity of their crust), Zelos (for pseudo Chicago style deep dish with a cornmeal crust), Hollywood Pies (for real Chicago style deep dish, it's actually downtown now, with no dining room or anything, so it's strictly delivery or carry out...you call ahead and pull up to the curb and then call again to let them know you are there, and then suddenly someone will walk up to your car with your pizza. Seriously.), and for Neapolitan style pizza - try Bollini's in Monterey Park .

There are a lot of newer ones that have opened recently, I liked Settebello in Pasadena, and I mean to try the Luggage Room at some point, too.

Since you live nearby, you may have already been there, but have you tried Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock (I'm not the first to mention it)? It reminds me of Chicago-style thin crust (cut into squares) or St. Louis style (minus that cheese blend they have in St. Louis)...

If you go, I recommend getting eggplant and sausage on your pizza. I didn't really understand the appeal of the place until I tried that combination and now I am a believer. (The eggplant is actually eggplant Parmagiana, it works really well...) Oh yeah, it's cash only and very crowded at peak times...

Pizza is something that I don't feel is really LA's strong suit, but there are some good places out there. Mozza is good (but expensive), and my favorite "everyday" (read: somewhat affordable) pizza is probably Pitfire (multiple locations, nearest to you is probably downtown LA).

I do also like Petrillos (show restraint when ordering toppings, they are generous and you can easily exceed the structural capacity of their crust), Zelos (for pseudo Chicago style deep dish with a cornmeal crust), Hollywood Pies (for real Chicago style deep dish, it's actually downtown now, with no dining room or anything, so it's strictly delivery or carry out...you call ahead and pull up to the curb and then call again to let them know you are there, and then suddenly someone will walk up to your car with your pizza. Seriously.), and for Neapolitan style pizza - try Bollini's in Monterey Park .

There are a lot of newer ones that have opened recently, I liked Settebello in Pasadena, and I mean to try the Luggage Room at some point, too.

sGup3.jpg

Seth C

Checking in as part of this crazy city called Los Angeles. (Burbank/Glendale area specifically.) I used to hate LA, but now after living here for just a little over three years, it's kind of grown on me. Still doesn't feel like home, but it feels like a fun place to have an extended stay.

Living here is still rough on me, though. Still don't know much about the city and where to go/what to do, and still have very few friends here (due to mostly working from home). That's the worst part of LA for me, really—not its size, or being crowded, or any of that, but living here and having so few connections.

Oh, I do absolutely hate the weather here though. So, so utterly boring.

Hey. I'll be in LA from March 6 to the 20th and then back in town for E3, of course. You should make your way downtown and hang out while I'm in. It was fun last year. We should definitely do it again.

thetechkid

please. like the film industry is the only industry in so cal that keeps the economy going.
Orange county is one of few counties as of 2011 to have job growth since 2008. and also 3rd in the nation among major metro areas for both new positions created.
Orange county also has handful of cities that are safest in the nation.

LA traffic sucks. more crime per capita. education is subpar. air quality is horrendous.
the only thing that la has over orange count is the food. the food is so nom nom nom good.
the food sucks down here. oh and the night life is nonexistant.

We got a billion amazing asian places around here, but yeah besides that its pretty true.

I live in downtown LA, a 10 minute walk from LA Live and all the goodies around there. :)

Seth C said:
Hey. I'll be in LA from March 6 to the 20th and then back in town for E3, of course. You should make your way downtown and hang out while I'm in. It was fun last year. We should definitely do it again.

What could a guy like me do to get into E3? I can see the convention center from my window, it'll be painful not being there!

Argyle

Sorry, I am catching up with this thread so I am replying to everyone in the order I see your posts :)

Lets do a meet up at Jurassic in City of Industry. Its like an Asian Hooters.

I am assuming it is a Taiwanese pub like Indian (I guess now it's called "Uncle Yu's Indian Theme Restaurant") in San Gabriel?

Anyone know of any decent Chinese food in west la? Driving to Monterey Park just isn't feasible on a weeknight..

Hahahah yeah....sorry.

Your best bet is to hit up the 101 Noodle Express in the Westfield Culver City (formerly Fox Hills Mall) for some beef rolls. Yes, it's in the food court.

Went to Little Tokyo over the weekend.

I think Shabu Shabu has become one of my favorite foods ever.

'Shabu Shabu House' is a must.

IMHO the BEST shabu shabu place in the city is Kagaya in Little Tokyo. It's not cheap, but the $43 for the standard course of beef is worth it as it comes with multiple appetizer courses and dessert...obviously not in the same class as Shabu Shabu House (which I think is the best "normal" shabu shabu place) but keep it in mind for your next special occasion :)

Eh New Capital is alright but I'd rather go to Seafood Harbour on Rosemead or Elite on Atlantic both are better but a bit pricier as well (in Chinese standards though so I'm talking not that much more).

Seconded. I used to prefer Sea Harbour until I realized they don't have those fried taro puff things...so Elite is my current favorite.

Let me know if you guys do decide to have a meetup, I may drop in if I am free...

IMHO the best is Fat Spoon, which opened recently in Little Tokyo, next to Daikokuya.

I also like CoCo Ichibanya (a chain from Japan) and Curry House.

Ooh, thanks for recommending Fat Spoon, may need to check that out for lunch tomorrow (work on Bunker Hill). ALWAYS up for a new curry place to check out.

I was so sad when the Hurry Curry they opened up in Pasadena closed after only a few months. Making it out to the westside is such a pain in the ass just for curry.

So happy for this OP. Naturally it would devolve into a massive food recommendation circle jerk. LA Food > *

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
please. like the film industry is the only industry in so cal that keeps the economy going.
Orange county is one of few counties as of 2011 to have job growth since 2008. and also 3rd in the nation among major metro areas for both new positions created.
Orange county also has handful of cities that are safest in the nation.

LA traffic sucks. more crime per capita. education is subpar. air quality is horrendous.
the only thing that la has over orange count is the food. the food is so nom nom nom good.
the food sucks down here. oh and the night life is nonexistant.

Yeah, but I don't work in those fields and really only care about what you've decided to bold.

Which still stands.

Argyle

Ooh, thanks for recommending Fat Spoon, may need to check that out for lunch tomorrow (work on Bunker Hill). ALWAYS up for a new curry place to check out.

I was so sad when the Hurry Curry they opened up in Pasadena closed after only a few months. Making it out to the westside is such a pain in the ass just for curry.

So happy for this OP. Naturally it would devolve into a massive food recommendation circle jerk. LA Food > *

Didn't realize the Hurry Curry in Pasadena closed, even though I live nearby I don't end up in Old Town much...

Surprised that more people didn't go into that SoCal vs. NorCal thread and just post food places. I like NorCal but honestly I like the breadth and depth of the places here better (they might be better for upscale, but I'm more into the hole-in-the-wall places, myself...and SoCal has the best Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese food IMHO, although I think NorCal does have the best dimsum place in California and San Jose is also a hotspot for Vietnamese food).

Here's another recommendation: Hot Stuff Cafe in San Gabriel. Love this place. It's not a Hong Kong cafe (although you can get a sizzling steak with black pepper sauce here - a remnant of their history as it used to be called "Romantic Steak House" in a former incarnation, but I would strongly recommend you skip the steak), instead it is Euro-Asian cuisine at surprisingly low prices considering the quality of the food.

^ YES! #19 all day.

Arcadia/Temple City here! Any other Gaffers in the SGV?

Grew up in the SGV and used to live in Azusa (in the UK now). Worked at the hospital over there. =)

Aruarian Reflection said:
Sounds good, I'll go check it out. We need more SGV representation in this thread

Nice! Place is mega legit and the owner Yuji is awesome. Dude will drink with all of his patrons. =)

recommend any good cheap dim sums in that area?

Full House which is just a tad further down Baldwin in the 99 Ranch shopping center. They serve Dim Sum during breakfast and lunch and the prices are cheap while being yum.

There's also Dim Sum Express in Alhambra on Garfield Ave. It's a take-out spot, but you get mad amounts of dim sum that's super inexpensive.

Alright as long as we're name dropping our favorite burger places, mine would definitely have to be The Golden State in west hollywood. And if we're talking about sandwiches, Langer's Deli takes first place for the best pastrami I've had outside of NYC.

Langers #19 forever. and ever. Oh and the dude who said Dogtown Dogs has good hot dogs obviously wants to fight. Come at me bro.

No but seriously, it's awesome that much of LAGaf is down with food trucks, since starting mine up last year I've eaten off many of my colleagues trucks. My favorites are:

Great Balls on Tires
Get Toasted (fried pork belly salbutes)
Wake n' Bake Wagon (the 'truffle shuffle' specifically)
Gourmet Genie (Lamb sliders, hnnnng)
Lake St. Creamery (The 'Don Draper' x infinity)
Honorable mention to Lardon, my dear friends who sadly closed up shop last august RIP BACO.

d0c_zaius

Langers #19 forever. and ever. Oh and the dude who said Dogtown Dogs has good hot dogs obviously wants to fight. Come at me bro.

No but seriously, it's awesome that much of LAGaf is down with food trucks, since starting mine up last year I've eaten off many of my colleagues trucks. My favorites are:

Great Balls on Tires
Get Toasted (fried pork belly salbutes)
Wake n' Bake Wagon (the 'truffle shuffle' specifically)
Gourmet Genie (Lamb sliders, hnnnng)
Lake St. Creamery (The 'Don Draper' x infinity)
Honorable mention to Lardon, my dear friends who sadly closed up shop last august RIP BACO.

whats wrong with dogstown? they are the only hotdog truck that comes by my work and they have the trailer trash dog with nacho cheese tots. the guys are cool too, not shady like some of the food trucks. However I think most of the trucks that come by my work are slightly overpriced...but its better than La Salsa and Quiznos.

http://www.thewien.com/ looks good, is this your truck? Because its not scheduled to come to food truck row in Santa Monica.....like ever :(

No food truck love for Shrimp Pimp and Dim Sum truck? And yes, Dogtown is a rip off.
No love for Shrimp Pimp but love for Dim Sum truck definitely. I forgot it on my list.

and those looking for chinese food, check out Yang chow.

i call it that :(

oh yeah? what part?
let's hit up a bar some time for a laker game.
If I get a position there I'll be transferred to Santa Ana, but I'll probably commute via train, so probably can't plan much.

And I'm majoring in Accounting, and there's a lot of finance jobs out there so I know I could end up there if LA has no spots for me. But thats like 3 years down the line.

whats wrong with dogstown? they are the only hotdog truck that comes by my work and they have the trailer trash dog with nacho cheese tots.

From what I understand they are the Joker to her Batman
I believe she owns a hot dog truck herself

How would you guys feel about getting together to watch some nerdy ass movies as they come into theaters? Like the kind I wouldn't take a date to. Underworld and Resident Evil come to mind -_-

There are no exceptionally good sit down Filipino restaurants because most families have someone that can cook Filipino food. Normally, when you go out, you want to eat something that you can't get at home.

bluemax

Banned
Heres a quick breakdown of the West LA/ Culver City/ Santa Monica mom and pop game store scene:

Hyper Game (Sawtelle) - Import japanese games the day of release, but pretty pricey and their service kinda sucks. For some reason they share retail space with a womens clothing store.

A and J Games (Palms) - A really sleazy pawn shop for used games. Everything is in pretty poor condition and the owner is a scammer, but it can be the only option for some old consoles and games sometimes.

Gameplay (Venice blvd) - A cool place ran by cool people. They always have a good selection of new and used games and consoles, as well as some obscure stuff.

and on an unrelated note, the best food trucks:

South Philly Experience (cheesesteaks)
Ta-Bom (Brazilian food)
Tainamite (Taiwanese food)
Cheer Burger
M.O.E.ggrolls (thanksgiving eggroll)
Dogstown Dogs
Cool Haus (ice cream sandwhiches)

Game play is awesome because they break street dates. If you ever want a game a week early they are the place to go.

Since we're talking food, anyone know of a good place for Banh Mi on the West Side? I haven't found one yet.

If you guys didn't, like, own houses and stuff already I'd recommend moving the entirety of XSEED up here to Portland or Seattle. Sure it gets colder but the public transit actually, you know, exists.

Anyway, been to LA, not too fond of it, mostly due to the lack of natural precipitation (and thus greenery) and heat. Robin actually hates it with a dire passion and was a bit grumpy when we made a trip to AnineExpo last year.
emot-v.gif
If CF goes this year, I may be goin' alone!

I wouldn't mind moving to any place with better public transit, but I'd probably head to NY if I did. ;) And didn't know you guys hated it so much. AX is kind of a grimy time to visit.

Checking in as part of this crazy city called Los Angeles. (Burbank/Glendale area specifically.) I used to hate LA, but now after living here for just a little over three years, it's kind of grown on me. Still doesn't feel like home, but it feels like a fun place to have an extended stay.

Living here is still rough on me, though. Still don't know much about the city and where to go/what to do, and still have very few friends here (due to mostly working from home). That's the worst part of LA for me, really—not its size, or being crowded, or any of that, but living here and having so few connections.

Oh, I do absolutely hate the weather here though. So, so utterly boring.

^This. I miss storms, snow...seasons... Time just seems to blur here because it's always the same. :/

I spent a week in LA just in December. Public transit is fine. I didn't have a car and got everywhere I wanted to go, be it Hollywood, Pasadena, or Santa Monica, on public transit. The direness of the situation is vastly overblown.

On the same trip I spent a few days in Seattle and the only public transit I had to use was the monorail to the Space Needle because quite frankly Seattle is so tiny I would rather just walk the rest of it. :p

I've taken the buses for 4 years here and they are NOT fine. Maybe for a casual visit (the subway system is pretty nice, it just doesn't go anywhere) it works out OK, but when I was taking my route from ktown to Torrance (6 different buses a day), at least 2-3 times a week one just wouldn't show at all. They also keep cutting the bus lines, and that's why I ended up taking 6 a day instead of the previous 4.

bluemax

Banned
Part of the problem with bus transit in LA is that there are so many "cities" each with their own transit department and it becomes a complicated mess to transfer between them.

I live along the Culver City line and last year when I had no car I would take the Culver City line to a transit center and then LA Metro to my job in Mid Wilshire. I bought a metro card so that I wouldn't have to get bus fair every week, only to find out that the Metro card didn't work for transfers and didn't work with Culver City bus.

Also with traffic and what not, sometimes if you miss a bus by a minute (whether through your fault or the previous bus') you can be waiting 45+ minutes for the next bus. There have been instances where I've walked multiple miles after missing a bus because I knew I wasn't gonna see the next one any time soon.

Phthisis

LA fucking blows. Born and raised here, hate it, trying to leave. But work is too good, so I can't.

H.Protagonist said:
I miss storms, snow...seasons... Time just seems to blur here because it's always the same. :/

Also this. My kingdom for the Pacific Northwest.

Heres a quick breakdown of the West LA/ Culver City/ Santa Monica mom and pop game store scene:

Hyper Game (Sawtelle) - Import japanese games the day of release, but pretty pricey and their service kinda sucks. For some reason they share retail space with a womens clothing store.

A and J Games (Palms) - A really sleazy pawn shop for used games. Everything is in pretty poor condition and the owner is a scammer, but it can be the only option for some old consoles and games sometimes.

Gameplay (Venice blvd) - A cool place ran by cool people. They always have a good selection of new and used games and consoles, as well as some obscure stuff.

and on an unrelated note, the best food trucks:

South Philly Experience (cheesesteaks)
Ta-Bom (Brazilian food)
Tainamite (Taiwanese food)
Cheer Burger
M.O.E.ggrolls (thanksgiving eggroll)
Dogstown Dogs
Cool Haus (ice cream sandwhiches)

Just checked out Tainamite's menu online, and outside of one dish which uses Taiwanese style sausages, nothing on that menu is Taiwanese.

Also, did Hyper Games move? B/c the last time I was around Sawtelle about a month ago, that store was completely closed down.

Also with traffic and what not, sometimes if you miss a bus by a minute (whether through your fault or the previous bus') you can be waiting 45+ minutes for the next bus. There have been instances where I've walked multiple miles after missing a bus because I knew I wasn't gonna see the next one any time soon.

This is the one thing I hate about LA transit. The worst offender being the Super 12 (Santa Monica Big Blue Bus). There are days (usually rainy days) where 2 or more scheduled buses won't arrive. At least give some type of notification why scheduled buses aren't arriving..

Top Bottom