• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Losing local multiplayer is one of the biggest loses to modern gaming. *Pics & Story*

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I'm ready. We are going to have our first 8 player smash on boxing day. Local multiplayer will forever be my favourite thing about gaming. It's what gaming is all about.

5nuszE8.jpg

not many words can describe this image, but your username is one of them

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
There has been a nice resurgence of local MP games with the rise of indie titles, was very happy to hear that PS4 is getting Gang Beasts as that game is hilarious.

Having kids I'm paying more attention to what games have local multiplayer ... There are more than you might expect actually. The one that perhaps surprised me the most (other than Octodad reading this thread) and that Ai don't think was mentioned yet is Spelunky!

The last great local multiplayer sessions I had were with the PSP. Was an amazing piece of kit for that kind of thing, especially with games like Fired Up and MACH. One UMD, shared to a bunch of machines.

We'd start with something like Fired Up, get a few rounds of friendly vehicular carnage going, then swap it out for heavy-duty fun with Killzone: Liberation. That game was king for ad-hoc antics. Our Friday night sessions were great. All in on Airfield was the perennial favourite. A good map with elevation, great design.

Great memories.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Great thread, thanks for sharing, OP. :) Brought me back to my undergrad years when it was so easy to play tons of local multi, Some favorites among my friends included Gears of War (dragging all those 360s and TVs together for LAN, good times), Rock Band, Street Fighter 4, and Pac-Man VS... but honestly any game becomes so much more fun when you're in one place with a good group.

I get my multiplayer gaming fix from PC nowadays - we've got a bunch of regulars who sit in a Skype call and play Team Fortress 2, Payday 2, Killing Floor, etc. together. It's great, but I got the chance to play mostly Wii U games (Smash included, of course) with some of them a few weeks ago when they were visiting... and the energy and hype in-person just blows away what online interaction provides.

I was surprised and delighted that Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare had splitscreen when I downloaded it for free last weekend. My wife and I really don't have any splitscreen games to play together that aren't on the N64 or GameCube. Its the main reason we will be getting LittleBigPlanet 3 as well. She doesn't like FPSes, so CODAW splitscreen is out of the question (not that it even works).

I really wish that Dragon Age: Inquisition had splitscreen online multiplayer though. We both love that series and would have loved to been able to play together.

Out of the 150+ PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PS4 games we own, I can count how many have splitscreen on one hand.
Looking back at my PS2 and GameCube library, I'd say that over 50% of the ~100 total games we own have splitscreen. Its about the same for the PS1 and N64.

We will probably end up getting a WiiU in the next year or so for games like Smash, Mario Party, and Mario Kart. I just hope we can get a GC adapter.

petran79

Banned
Every time this subject comes up, it's really annoying.

Nintendo makes a racing game - "Finally there's a racing game with local multiplayer!"

Nintendo makes a fighting game (or indies make dumbed-down fighting games) - "Finally there's a fighting game with local multiplayer!"

Do I need to explain what's wrong here?

Putting aside genres, there's local multiplayer in a lot of games if you actually look. Yes, even those "AAA" games.

Hence why Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was amazing at that time.
in 1998 you got:

decent single player mode,co-op included. 4 player co-op both online and local.
Up to 32 players online. Level editor included

Back then game scored from average to good, but had people known the current trends of the gaming industry, that game deserves 9/10.

Jazz_Jackrabbit_2_(PC)_41.png

Top Bottom