• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 co-op demo on Wednesday

bigswords

Asmodai said:
I went into the demo with high expectations.

Then, after playing the demo, I remembered why the first Lost Planet bored me with the demo too. Has anything changed? You just whale away on this oversized salamander until it finally falls over and croaks. Tedious and clunky at the same time.

I don't know why the Japanese devs can make great visuals in games like RE5 and Lost Planet, but the shooting mechanics themselves are horrible.

Please explain? To shoot stuff , you aim then pull the right trigger. If you dont like person vs monster combat, I'm sure mech vs monster combat is much better. Hog damn I'm playing a Japanese Mech game which doesn't need 200 fingers to play (AC series)

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Just played it once by myself then again with 3 strangers, didn't like it at all and had no idea what was going on. I was just shooting at the guy the whole time and when it told me to go inside him the game started freaking out and his skin took up my whole screen and started twitching. Then we failed.

Asmodai

Banned
bigswords said:
Please explain? To shoot stuff , you aim then pull the right trigger. If you dont like person vs monster combat, I'm sure mech vs monster combat is much better. Hog damn I'm playing a Japanese Mech game which doesn't need 200 fingers to play (AC series)

Yeah, I tried the mech....same thing, blaze away, and all you can do is shoot and bunny hop. Even the mechs can bunny hop :lol

george_us

Count me among the others who didn't like the demo. Lost Planet 1 had a nice atmosphere along with shooting mechanics that fit perfectly in the game imho (whether you liked them is a different story) but this feels like LP shoehorned into a generic shooter. The camera was terrible when you go inside that giant monster.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
george_us said:
Count me among the others who didn't like the demo. Lost Planet 1 had a nice atmosphere along with shooting mechanics that fit perfectly in the game imho (whether you liked them is a different story) but this feels like LP shoehorned into a generic shooter. The camera was terrible when you go inside that giant monster.

Really? It does the "OMFG I CAN'T SEE" thing, but RBumper/R1 to 90 degree it twice cleared that up and it wasn't an issue for me.

I played Lost Planet 1 for about an hour or two, then gave back the disc to my buddy from whom i borrowed it from.

I thought of renting the Lost Planet 2 when it comes out, i just played the demo and decided not to rent it. Glad they released the demo that counted me out.

Pumpkins

I didn't like the demo. I felt bad after killing the giant beast. :\

It made me wonder why you even had to kill it. I mean, what did it do to you?

Pumpkins said:
I didn't like the demo. I felt bad after killing the giant beast. :\

Are we looking at the next SOTC here?

fucking silver account GRAAAAARRRRGH

USD

Wow the defensive boost from the Injection Gun is insane. At first I was only using it to boost my offense, but the defensive boost lowers damage to around 30% of the full damage value, and it makes you more resilient to knockdown attacks. And the boosts last for around 3 minutes.

TheSeks

Pumpkins said:

Tried to kill me as I was going to a power plan--

Oh, wait, that's Lost Planet 1. Carry on.

Have you guys latched yourselves onto the sides of a V.S. yet? I haven't heard this new feature discussed yet. It's extremely fun to latch on and go for a ride while chucking rockets at big slimey.

TheSeks

Arpharmd B said:
Have you guys latched yourselves onto the sides of a V.S. yet? I haven't heard this new feature discussed yet. It's extremely fun to latch on and go for a ride while chucking rockets at big slimey.

You mean the four person VS or anchoring? If it's the latter, I guess that's new since anchoring a VS before would throw you off after flying over to it.

Haeleos

The Interrobanger said:
Not a big fan of the demo. I loved the first game and this feels nothing like it. :(

Nothing?! Did the character you played as look like Batman by any chance?

I can't think of anything they've done here that isn't an improvement over the first.

TheSeks

They made it tropical, which I kinda dislike. I liked how the first was a cold planet (despite the T-Energy drop/constantly having to gather T-Eng mechanic, anyway).

TheSeks said:
They made it tropical, which I kinda dislike. I liked how the first was a cold planet (despite the T-Energy drop/constantly having to gather T-Eng mechanic, anyway).

Really? I think it adds a much needed splash of color to the drab multiplayer landscape we keep seeing. The demo area is pretty drab compared to the other locales we've seen in trailers, but I think it's an improvement.

TheSeks

GreyMatter said:
Really? I think it adds a much needed splash of color to the drab multiplayer landscape we keep seeing. The demo area is pretty drab compared to the other locales we've seen in trailers, but I think it's an improvement.

Tropical works for four players, I guess. But cold planets = forbidding. Which works more for singleplayer.

I'll agree that the tropical may work for multiplayer maps, the whole cold/cold/cold outside on multiplayer maps with the exception of Trial Point in the first LP was kinda boring. :|

The whole cold planet thing was such a gimmick in LP1. I don't think I worried about T-eng once in a playthrough (and don't ask "did you play on super ultra hard??" cause they bothered to put it in, but didn't make it matter in normal mode.)

TheSeks

Fyodor Dostoevsky said:
The whole cold planet thing was such a gimmick in LP1. I don't think I worried about T-eng once in a playthrough (and don't ask "did you play on super ultra hard??" cause they bothered to put it in, but didn't make it matter in normal mode.)

Did you play it on Extreme?
Yes, I'm going to ask this, anyway. Fuck you.

Normal it's only a problem if you suck a lot. Hard it's annoying. Extreme it's "FUCK YOU CAPCOM!" :lol

Llyranor

TheSeks said:
You mean the four person VS or anchoring? If it's the latter, I guess that's new since anchoring a VS before would throw you off after flying over to it.
Anchoring with the hookshot will still have you backflap afterwards.

The multi-mech is also a different thing.

With almost ANY VS in the demo (except the one that has grenades), if you press B once, you park the VS. Another player can get nearby and hold onto its side (forgot which button, there's a popup). Therefore, one player can fly around in a regular VS, while two other players hang onto its sides and shoot with their regular weapons. It's awesome.
Fyodor Dostoevsky said:
It was probably a good idea to have it 'not matter' on normal, since some people don't like it. Want to ignore T-Eng? Play on normal. Want an awesome challenge? Play on hard and above.

TheSeks said:
Really? Really? R3 reload works, IMO. You're aiming and you're out of ammo, push the stick in while continuing to aim on a dude to get a fresh clip to cap them with.

I really don't-- and probably never will-- understand how anyone can argue against, or defend the lack of, custom mapping of controls in games with a straight face. It is quite possibly the most reasonable, basic thing in the entire universe to expect of a game. If NOTHING else, you should at least be able to remap controls. If a game consists of moving a piece of poo to the left and right of the screen by pressing "B" I want to be able to change the button to "A" should I choose.

I also don't understand how people can counter a complaint about where a button is mapped by saying "it worked for me." Well that's just awesome, but I'm not you. And yes, I GET that I am PHYSICALLY ABLE to press "R3" to reload. That is so not even the point. They could map reload to the power button and it would possible to get used to-- that doesn't mean it makes sense or will work for everyone.

kuYuri

TheSeks said:
Did you play it on Extreme?
Yes, I'm going to ask this, anyway. Fuck you.

Normal it's only a problem if you suck a lot. Hard it's annoying. Extreme it's "FUCK YOU CAPCOM!" :lol

I did. I stopped at the wasp boss, cause Extreme was bullshit. And this is coming from a guy who beat Call of Duty 2, 3, 4, and WaW on Veteran. :/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MomoPufflet said:
I really don't-- and probably never will-- understand how anyone can argue against, or defend the lack of, custom mapping of controls in games with a straight face. It is quite possibly the most reasonable, basic thing in the entire universe to expect of a game. If NOTHING else, you should at least be able to remap controls. If a game consists of moving a piece of poo to the left and right of the screen by pressing "B" I want to be able to change the button to "A" should I choose.

I also don't understand how people can counter a complaint about where a button is mapped by saying "it worked for me." Well that's just awesome, but I'm not you. And yes, I GET that I am PHYSICALLY ABLE to press "R3" to reload. That is so not even the point. They could map reload to the power button and it would possible to get used to-- that doesn't mean it makes sense or will work for everyone.

Yeah, I think R3 is really weird for reloading too. The other control setting maps it to RB/R1 and Zoom to LB/L1 if you didn't try that atleast.

TheFallen

Strider2K99 said:
I did. I stopped at the wasp boss, cause Extreme was bullshit. And this is coming from a guy who beat Call of Duty 2, 3, 4, and WaW on Veteran. :/
The first game was pretty decent, though I only pushed myself to finish it for an article. Tried the new demo and was a little underwhelmed. I'm just surprised they chose a boss battle for the first reveal. It came off confusing to newer players in the room and the little signs you have to read for tips are plain silly.

hulot

MomoPufflet said:

Alright? Are you still having this problem after several subsequent posts have outlined how to get different control schemes to be like what you're complaining about here? Usually in any game that I have control issues with, I go directly to the options to see if I can remedy it before going online to complain as if I were an authority on the game.

BigBoss

I haven't played the demo, I'm a silver user and I was wondering if Capcom added the ability to self destruct your mech?

Mindlog

Managed to get a few co-op games in. I really really like this game.

Getting an A is cake. Now trying to get an S (above 5000?). I'm guessing for an S you need to get inside and hit the right spots. It's a little scary the first time and there's no cuddling. It always finishes first :[

((no one I know is using Pattern A, Everyone went Pattern B, next option OFF, higher aim #)
(haven't noticed self-destruct, haven't tried though)
(of course custom controls would be nice))

Aaron

Mindlog said:
Managed to get a few co-op games in. I really really like this game.

Getting an A is cake. Now trying to get an S (above 5000?). I'm guessing for an S you need to get inside and hit the right spots. It's a little scary the first time and there's no cuddling. It always finishes first :[
I got an S rating and I never went inside. Spent all my time on mechs, shooting kneecaps. I think it helped that two people bailed right at the start of the match. Good host migration by the way.

What exactly are you supposed to do when the boss is about to do his giant electrical shockwave attack that knocks your health to zero? Do you just have to take it? Can you interrupt it and prevent it from going off?

Mindlog

a Master Ninja said:
What exactly are you supposed to do when the boss is about to do his giant electrical shockwave attack that knocks your health to zero? Do you just have to take it? Can you interrupt it and prevent it from going off?

The easiest thing to do is to grapple a wall (anything except the monster.) Hold it to hang there.

If you are on it, just time your jump so you are in the air when it blows.

Mindlog said:
The easiest thing to do is to grapple a wall (anything except the monster.) Hold it to hang there.

If you are on it, just time your jump so you are in the air when it blows.
Thanks, I hadn't figured out that the blast only traveled across the ground.

Also, for some reason my favorite visual effect in the game is the pulse of light when you activate a post. It just looks awesome.
shintoki said:
Just jump:lol
I did try the first time, but my timing was no doubt off so I just wrongly assumed it was unavoidable.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
a Master Ninja said:
Just jump:lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just played the demo properly for the first time (with three other people online, and with an understanding of the controls).

That was fucking fantastic. Hopefully there are heaps of massive bosses in this vein. Seeing the boss melt away and leave his skeleton behind was super satisfying.

Hype +10

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
control scheme two isn't that much different from control scheme 1, but damn, it is so much better.

Fireflu

Rez said:
I just played the demo properly for the first time (with three other people online, and with an understanding of the controls).

That was fucking fantastic. Hopefully there are heaps of massive bosses in this vein. Seeing the boss melt away and leave his skeleton behind was super satisfying.

Hype +10
That's the word, also the boss fought in the demo is apparently one of the smallest in the game o___o

Its gonna be fun :D

USD

I found out today that you can swim!

Some random person told me you could do it, and I thought he was trying to sucker me into killing myself until I actually saw him in the water. Pressing A (either timing it or just mashing it) will let you swim, propelling you upward and forward. The control is very limited, but it's enough to let you survive in the water indefinitely, as long as you don't let yourself sink too far down or hit the invisible wall at the back of the stage. You can't shoot while swimming upwards (not that there's any need to do so in the demo), but you can shoot in between strokes while you're sinking. Just don't let yourself drop too far.

Demo does a poor job of explaining what's actually possible, such as what support weapons like the Injection Gun are capable of. I'm aware that the signs are there for everyone to view, but those don't really count since they not only take you out of the action, but that's also a lazy way to inform the player about specific - and sometimes crucial - gameplay elements. Didn't have many issues with this myself mind you (since I remembered some of 'em from the original game), but they should at the very least adress that in the retail game so it's easier for newcomers to understand what's going on. Left 4 Dead, another co-op centric game, handled this type of thing much better for instance and without the need for a tutorial either.

That said, I enjoyed the demo, though I wasn't too impressed with the graphics. The boss environment looked really drab (one color basically) and there were loads of framerate drops. Hopefully they can fix the latter in the final version.

Astery

I'm watching some videos on the demo and I would like to ask if the rolling action is gone in LP2? I remember I can roll in LP1. Still waiting the demo to come to PSN :(

Astery said:
I'm watching some videos on the demo and I would like to ask if the rolling action is gone in LP2? I remember I can roll in LP1. Still waiting the demo to come to PSN :(
You can still roll, left stick click + jump

bigswords

Sorry what does Y + LT does? It looks like it's dropping your energy to allow sharing with your other teammates. But when I did it and touched the energy it seemed to blew me up and I died?

Raide

bigswords said:
Sorry what does Y + LT does? It looks like it's dropping your energy to allow sharing with your other teammates. But when I did it and touched the energy it seemed to blew me up and I died?

It swaps between your grenades and the ability to shoot T-Energy at your team members. It is handy if you have loads and someone else is rubbish and has none. :lol

Mindlog

Aaron said:
I got an S rating and I never went inside. Spent all my time on mechs, shooting kneecaps. I think it helped that two people bailed right at the start of the match. Good host migration by the way.

Yeah, this ended up happening to me. During the match two people dropped and I was mostly using the awesome VS that can pick up its own weapons. Not only did I end up getting my 'S' I was pretty close to qualifying for a 'U' if ranking went that far.

I thought Lost Planet was fun, but was never overly enthusiastic about it. This demo is definitely changing that. The last little piece that would put it near the top of my list would be grapple momentum. Getting out of the starting area is a fun race grappling from sign to sign. I'm almost tempted to grab Bionic Commando.

and when I didn't know exactly how to transfer T-Eng I also ended up killing an ally :lol

if LP2 is gonna be most like what the demo was, then it >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LP1

but then again, I liked the LP1 demo and that game was completely garbage.

Top Bottom