• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost premiered 15 years ago

VulcanRaven

Lost premiered 15 years ago on September 22, 2004. It is my favorite TV show and I have rewatched the first 3 seasons many times. The later seasons were great too. It was fun to watch the series when it first aired and read all the speculations online. I didn't have any problem with the ending. What you guys think about the series?

lost-cast-photo-002-56a3b7f55f9b58b7d0d37162.jpg

Last edited:
Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Lost was one of the few shows back in my teens I was completely drawn into and couldn't get enough. The journey and mystery of it all up to the end was the best part about it, but man the writers sure made it up as they went along!

Very outstanding episodes too with some of the characters, as well an incredible musical score.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Last edited by a moderator:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I have never watched a full episode of it and yet I still couldn’t stop hearing about it. I loved how people were so invested and then they felt trolled by the ending. It gave me a clue the same would happen with GoT, another tv show I didn’t care for.

VulcanRaven

I have never watched a full episode of it and yet I still couldn’t stop hearing about it. I loved how people were so invested and then they felt trolled by the ending. It gave me a clue the same would happen with GoT, another tv show I didn’t care for.
I recommend watching it. Its still a great show. I bought the first four season of Lost on Blu-Ray not long ago and the picture quality is very good.

Guiberu

Lost was magical.

Even enjoyed the ending, and seemingly everyone I've spoken to about it took away a different perspective.

You can nit-pick and break it down season by season, but the beauty of Lost was that it was more than the sum of it's parts.

AntiCap

That first episode really was amazing. All I can say though, is that I'm glad I have a policy of not watching a series until it's concluded. I've heard it's good, but I would not be able to stomach an extra 3 seasons.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
My favourite tv show ever. It hit right at the perfect time with social media becoming more popular.

It has some of the best written characters, episodes and archs I've ever seen. The ending was perfect. Fight me.

paparazzo

It’s in my top 3 shows. I went through it a couple years ago for the first time after only having seen a handful of scenes when it aired and loved every episode. Really sublime experience, and I doubt we’ll see anything like it again.

Nymphae

Banned
Never watched an episode. I was in college at the time and busy, and losing interest in appointment television.

It sounded like it was up my alley at the time, I loved The X-Files and that sort of thing, but I waited too long and wanted to watch it from the start. Then I started hearing all the talk about writers not having a plan and people being sick of all the twists that don't answer anything and so forth, and I said fuck it. I could see binging it at some point if it shows up on a service I have.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I had a friend who was super into it at the time but I never saw it when it was on. He showed me the orientation video I remember that.

Eventually I was like, I’ll check this out, see what the big deal was. It was really cool lots of mysteries and seemingly designed to encourage binge watching. Like at a certain point i realizes that they found the most shocking or interesting reveal of the episode and out it at the very end. They did this every time and it made you want to watch what happens next. My only real complaint was the one where Charlie dies over and over and you keep seeing it ugh no thanks

Storytelling went really downhill later on but it was still fun to watch. The ending was ok not the best thing ever but honestly I have no idea what people expected

Last edited:

Dark Star

LOST is one of the first ever series / shows I binge watched from start to finish. It's a great time. The first few seasons are awesome, and the later ones aren't too bad. The last season is a little confusing if you watch it passively, but I don't think the ending is a "troll" at all. The show starts off as pure survival, which will engage just about anyone. Once the mystery and supernatural elements come into play, it might put off some viewers. Overall, the casting is brilliant and the writing still holds up after all these years, especially the dialogues between Sawyer and everyone else lol.

tumblr_n2eghd5zoz1rli1a8o4_r2_250.gif

Last edited:

DKehoe

The Lost threads on here were amazing. It's the kind of show where you seethe benefit of week to week programming rather than Netflix just dumping a whole season at once. Because everyone watching was at the same point it was much more of an experience with people discussing theories week to week. Now it's "you're on episode 7 already? Don't tell me anything! I'm only on episode 2"

Dazrael

I watched it again about a year ago and it held up really well, better than I remembered in fact. It kinda went off the rails in the last season and some of the final reveals were a bit lacklustre but for the sum of its parts it was great.

It’s worth the journey if you’ve never watched it before.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I remember a long time before I had an account here. There was this one user who would go into every lost thread without fail, and explain to everyone having fun why they were wrong for enjoying the show. They had such a condescending attitude too, boiled my piss.

What's everyones favourite ending montage?

Last edited by a moderator:

cryptoadam

Banned
ground breaking and innovative TV. So many imitators.

First 2 seasons are really amazing and might be some of the best TV ever made.

Eventually the bait and switch and fact that there was no actual plan caught up to the show and there was only so much mystery box that we could take. Still kept people watching and thankfully they wrapped it up before going too long.

All though the finally kinda spit in the face of the whole they aren't dead thing they said from day 1. Should of went with Aliens.

But if you weren't around then its hard to understand the show and its influence. It changed TV and IMO usherd in the renisance we have now on the small screen. (Sopranos as well). Its really something that you had to be there to really experience it.

Lost is the best and worst of TV, right there with the X-Files but with a more dramatic fall off the quality plateau. Lost's serialization also means that all of it is harmed by the worst of it, unfortunately. Even the worst shit of X-Files Season 9 will never hurt its best episodes because they were largely monster-of-the-weeks.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
ground breaking and innovative TV. So many imitators.

First 2 seasons are really amazing and might be some of the best TV ever made.

Eventually the bait and switch and fact that there was no actual plan caught up to the show and there was only so much mystery box that we could take. Still kept people watching and thankfully they wrapped it up before going too long.

All though the finally kinda spit in the face of the whole they aren't dead thing they said from day 1. Should of went with Aliens.

But if you weren't around then its hard to understand the show and its influence. It changed TV and IMO usherd in the renisance we have now on the small screen. (Sopranos as well). Its really something that you had to be there to really experience it.

They weren't dead though.

cryptoadam

Banned
They weren't dead though.

Weren't they in "purgatory" ?

Wasnt the whole ending that they were waiting to pass on to the next phase? And the last season wasn't flashbacks they were flash sideways? Its been a while since I watched the finale.

They said over and over again its not purgatory and from my memory in the end they are all waiting in a church to finally move onto the next plane/phase/life whatever. Sure semantics they weren't "dead" but its essentially the same thing. Unless I misinterpreted the ending completly ???

bitbydeath

I tried watching a few episodes and it looked like they relied on making up back story to create an episode out of it. Maybe I just caught a few bad episodes but decided them flying by the seat of their pants wasn’t for me.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Lost premiered 15 years ago on September 22, 2004. It is my favorite TV show and I have rewatched the first 3 seasons many times. The later seasons were great too. It was fun to watch the series when it first aired and read all the speculations online. I didn't have any problem with the ending. What you guys think about the series?

lost-cast-photo-002-56a3b7f55f9b58b7d0d37162.jpg

Thank you! I’m one of the few who also had no problem with the ending. Half way through the last season, it dawned on me: they’ll never answer all the questions to everyone’s satisfaction. It was all about the journey anyway.

The sideways-verse was pointless, but it didn’t do any harm to the main story once you realize what it was.

i only remember the 'we have to go back' memes

never seen a single episode, myself

also remember thinking "hows that fat motherfucker still fat"

Celcius

°Temp. member
It's probably my favorite TV show ever. I once had the entire series on blu-ray but eventually sold them. I've seen every episode at least twice.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
This show created the most fascinating, wonderful mysteries.

This show created the most awful, anti-climatic answers to those mysteries.

I’ve never seen a show so consistent in doing both these things. It makes it a really hard show to form an opinion on. I suppose you could say the journey was memorable, even if all the destinations weren’t.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Man, this series started out so strong and then dropped off the cliff hard midway through...

Lost is a prime example of why you should at least have to have some idea where the story is going when you start it. It became obvious really quick that they just made shit up as they were going and then later on had so many open questions that they just went like... fuck it... let's not bother explaining all that shit.

Kadayi

Banned
Much love for LOST at the time, but the conclusion was kind of 'Meh' tbh. I think fundamentally the show suffered from a few issues in both terms of its inception and its execution. Firstly the whole large ensemble approach broke down pretty quickly into A players (Jack, Kate, Sawyer & Locke) and B players (Claire, Charlie, Hurley etc) and there was a clear failure early on to introduce some actual supporting cast amongst the survivors who could be actual red shirts or promoted up the ladder so to speak. Too little too late they tried to introduce some (Paolo & Nikki for instance) but by then the internet had their favourites and hated anyone who took away time from their particular favourites. Secondly, I think the writers got led a little too much by internet feedback to the detriment of the show. Thirdly they should have tied actors down contractually. They introduced Mr Eko in season 2 who was a great addition as a foil against John Locke (even if the writer's portrayal of Nigeria as some sort of warlord infested place was pretty questionable) but then the actor wanted to leave which threw that entire storyline through a loop.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'll take Lost's final season over GoT's final season any day of the week.
Wife and I watched it a few months back and actually balled our eyes out at the ending. It was so god damn emotional that last episode.
God damn.

Kenpachii

One piece basically the tv show.

Endless making up bullshit to keep people interested, and when it brought in the cash just wrap it up to some bullshit ending because who cares at that point.

The later season where a bit rough, however the actors are great and the the start was specifically great. Really like mystery so that helped a ton.

Ending was a bit off "yea we didn't know what to make of it but oh well we don't care because we already had the views anyway bye"

I could see the outrage it created.

Watched it twice i think, nice solid serie.

Damn, 15 years already. I don't think I'll ever have another TV experience like Lost. Discussing it online and amongst friends week-to-week and thinking up these crazy, elaborate theories... good times. It's a pity to see that most of the actors didn't break it big. Terry O'Quinn in particular was amazing, he deserves to be in so much more.

Weren't they in "purgatory" ?

Wasnt the whole ending that they were waiting to pass on to the next phase? And the last season wasn't flashbacks they were flash sideways? Its been a while since I watched the finale.

They said over and over again its not purgatory and from my memory in the end they are all waiting in a church to finally move onto the next plane/phase/life whatever. Sure semantics they weren't "dead" but its essentially the same thing. Unless I misinterpreted the ending completly ???
I think you've slightly misinterpreted it. The only "purgatory" stuff was the flash-sideways in Season 6. Everything else was real.

Kenpachii

Damn, 15 years already. I don't think I'll ever have another TV experience like Lost. Discussing it online and amongst friends week-to-week and thinking up these crazy, elaborate theories... good times. It's a pity to see that most of the actors didn't break it big. Terry O'Quinn in particular was amazing, he deserves to be in so much more.

I think you've slightly misinterpreted it. The only "purgatory" stuff was the flash-sideways in Season 6. Everything else was real.

I think game of thrones was basically the modern lost really. It had exactly that.

cryptoadam

Banned

Which is where I see the cop out. They said the whole time its not purgatory, they aren't dead etc... Then we get to the last season and they spend half the time showing us them in "purgatory" in the flash sideways. They were in a corner and the only way to get out of it and not be liars was to make the flash sideways "purgatory", so ya technically the island wasn't purgatory. But they still threw in the purgatory stuff in there and focusing the last season on it. Tried to have their cake and eat it.

And my memory is fuzzy but did they ever explain the island? It had some giant wheel and a light but was it ever explalined as anything?

My honest opinion the island was supposed to be some sort of purgatory but people figured it out right away so they spent the next 5 seasons trying to make it not purgatory and then sprung on the fans a season of them being in purgatory because that was the plan to start.

cryptoadam

Banned
Also if I am not mistaken this was the first show to "kill off" one of the main cast.

As well I think they started the whole mid season break thing too and shorter seasons?

DKehoe

Also if I am not mistaken this was the first show to "kill off" one of the main cast.

As well I think they started the whole mid season break thing too and shorter seasons?

The original plan was for Jack to be played Michael Keaton and he would get killed off in the pilot.

I think the first three seasons were brilliant. I enjoyed the second half of the show’s run but not as much. There was a lot of filler in there, especially during the writer strike. It’s been a long time since I have watched the show, maybe I need to refresh myself. I don’t remember really being bothered by the ending, I mean what else could it all have been? My only gripe was feeling like the ending made a lot of Season 4, 5, 6 feel pointless. Like if that was always the ending, if that was always what was going on, then most everything prior was happening just to happen, not purposeful.

Again it’s been forever since I’ve watched so I’m a little foggy. I seem to recall quite a few plot/side plot dead ends too

Last edited:

joedan

When Sawyer reconnected with [forgot her name] at the vending machine in the final episode. Tears in my eyes. Genuine tears.

Best show ever.

Top Bottom