• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Sphear announced (Square Enix/Tokyo RPG Factory, PC/PS4/Switch, $50, 2018)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good but like Setsuna, I'll wait for it to hit $20 on PSN.

luminous

The visuals couldn't possibly be any blander, like I'm sure it has some really nice art but the end result is so... boring. Not that it means it's a bad game but I wish they had more budget to make it look a bit more appealing at least.

But given this is only coming in 2018 maybe there's hope? idk

OuterLimits

$50 is a bit too much in my opinion. About as ridiculous as a Kemco RPG selling for $15 on PS4. I bought Setsuna in a sale and still wish I had waited a bit longer.

chrono01

Base Game = $49.99 USD
Shipping to Canada = $33.99 USD
Brokerage upon receiving shipment (judging from past SE orders) = at least $25 CDN

Total price to import physical copy of the Switch version into Canada = $138 CDN

Welp. I guess I'm out.

After Dragon Quest VII I can not restore another generic JRPG world suffering from another generic curse.

I hope there's more to it than that though.

Sorry if old, but looking at Tokyo RPG Factory's website they refer to Lost Sphere as the 2nd title from the "Project Setsuna."

Project SETSUNA 第2弾作品となる「LOST SPHEAR」を本日発表しました。
またこれに合わせて「LOST SPHEAR」 の公式サイトがオープンしました。

「LOST SPHEAR」 公式サイトURL:
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/lostsphear/

今後の続報にご期待ください。
We announced second title from Project SETSUNA “LOST SPHEAR” today.
And we opened official website for “LOST SPHEAR”:
www.lostsphear.com
Please stay tuned!

Source: http://www.tokyorpgfactory.com/news.php

Fishing confirmed?

LOST_SPHEAR_MAP08.png

Yeah, I guess I just want them to be inspired by a different era. Or go full dragon quest and make it more whimsical, less melodramatic. It's probably more on me than them.
Remember, Chrono Trigger started off with a young man being awakened by his mother and heading off to the town fair for fun and festivities. Yes, there was serious moments, but there was also a nice balance between lighter moments.

Sorry if old, but looking at Tokyo RPG Factory's website they refer to Lost Sphere as the 2nd title from the "Project Setsuna."
So it IS a part of the Setsuna series. Makes sense seeing that it looks like those penguin enemies return.

This is a nitpick, but one is based on an irk of mine. It is regarding final bosses, so I'm going to spoiler tag it, but I'm going to talk about the bosses from Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light, Bravely Default and I Am Setsuna, but...
why do the final bosses look so stupid. All share this "big upper body, floating thing with cartoonishly massive hands and no lower body". Maybe that sorta look is easy for those types of games, but man, those final bosses just look stupid.
That, and in the FF series, spoilers for Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light, Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Dark, Final Fantasy Legends: Crystal of Space-Time, Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XIII-2...
enough with the use of Chaos and Bahamut being major final boss-ish villains. There should be a rule instated that says "No more Chaos-something or Bahamut form being a final boss in the series from here on out!". I mean, hell, even Vayne's final form in FFXII was inspired by Bahamut.

AwesomeD

Base Game = $49.99 USD
Brokerage upon receiving shipment (judging from past SE orders) = at least $25 CDN

Total price to import physical copy of the Switch version into Canada = $138 CDN

Welp. I guess I'm out.

They want $8,99 for the cheapest shipping option. Comes out to $64.14 for me. Really Square?

When Chrono Trigger was released, it wasn't a budget title that lacked in the presentation department. It was a sophisticated title and perhaps even a precursor to the presentation focused, FMV filled PS1 titles that followed. These games are nothing like Chrono Trigger.

B.K.

I think it looks interesting. I'll probably preorder it eventually on Square Enix's site for the physical version. I'm surprised they announced it now and not during E3. Even though it's multi-platform, it would have been a decent announcement for Nintendo's Switch E3 Direct. They need as many third party announcements as possible.

Preordered a Switch physical copy, I enjoyed Setsuna a lot even if I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the big classic JRPGs, it was a short and sweet dose of nostalgia with beautiful music. I'm happy to support any Tokyo RPG Factory projects

watershed

Banned
Should Nintendo be worried that the youtube video of the trailer for Lost Sphear has more views on their channel than the video for the latest ARMS trailer?

JDH

Base Game = $49.99 USD

Welp. I guess I'm out.

Ugh, as soon as I read "Exclusive to S-E Store" I died a little inside as well. I'm also in Canada and gave up with them after a few times attempting to shop on their store way back for some great deals and checking out shipping, taking into account duties (which will surely be charged) decided against it. I feel your pain!

I'm a sucker for Physical copies, but not that much of a sucker. Here's to hoping VGP may carry it somehow. Doubtful, but I see all these GameStop exclusives there constantly.

NateDrake

I'm tempted to pre-order a physical copy for Switch. Which reminds me that I need to import a physical copy of I Am Setsuna soon.

Lucentto

Banned
Looking at the screenshots in the OP. I don't see how they expect to sell something that looks like that for $50, someone help me out here because i'm not seeing it.

Andyliini

I preordered it. Sure, 50€ is a bit steep, but at least there were no pastage charges. I also think that this might not go down in price, as it looks to be a SE Store exclusice, physical-wise.

Maybe it's referring to the development team? I think the Japanese sometimes call their teams "projects" in a kind of Engrish way. For example the Japanese commercial for Chrono Trigger started with the words "DREAM PROJECT PRESENTS":

G41IOtil.png

Then again the codename for Chrono Cross was "PROJECT KID" and that seemed to refer to the game rather than the team...

AuuEBONl.png

Maybe it's referring to the development team? I think the Japanese sometimes call their teams "projects" in a kind of Engrish way. For example the Japanese commercial for Chrono Trigger started with the words "DREAM PROJECT PRESENTS":

G41IOtil.png

Then again the codename for Chrono Cross was "PROJECT KID" and that seemed to refer to the game rather than the team...

AuuEBONl.png

Since the footage indicates they are maintaining elements from "I am Setsuna" in the new title (being those enemies, the Moment System, etc) it feels more like the continuation of a series. At least that's what I understood :)

IIRC, Hashimoto intended to indeed start a new series comencing with Setsuna. It was unclear if he was talking about developing direct sequels at the time though. Perhaps the idea here is creating similar games that share some sort of connection, but each one is its own thing in terms of story, characters and setting (kinda like FNC, I guess?).

Seik

Banned
I'm on SE's website about to pre-order the NS version.

Does it mentions that's it's a physical release anywhere? I can't see that and I just won't pre-order it if that's to have a code in the end.

nvm, it's in the OP.

EDIT: Holy shit I can only choose Priority (33.99$) to ship to Canada?!?!?! What the fuck is this stupid shit?! This is like, high-level tier thievery.

I just sent an email to their customer service because this is absolutely unacceptable to not offer any other options.

chrono01

I'm on SE's website about to pre-order the NS version.

Does it mentions that's it's a physical release anywhere? I can't see that and I just won't pre-order it if that's to have a code in the end.

nvm, it's in the OP.

EDIT: Holy shit I can only choose Priority (33.99$) to ship to Canada?!?!?! What the fuck is this stupid shit?! This is like, high-level tier thievery.

I just sent an email to their customer service because this is absolutely unacceptable to not offer any other options.
Good luck, it's what's stopping me from pre-ordering as well. Insane.

Also, expect at least $25 in brokerage charges, if my FFXIV CE's/Nier Automata CE are anything to go by, so it ends up being even more expensive. I calculated the cost earlier, and the way it is, I'd have to spend just under $140 CDN to import the physical copy to Canada. I'm definitely not doing that.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Canadians who want the physical version will probably have to hope the JP version has English like Setsuna did.

chronosic

Canadians who want the physical version will probably have to hope the JP version has English like Setsuna did.

Is it known if this is going to be exclusive to the SE store in Japan as well? Hopefully I can just order a copy from Amazon like I did for setsuna, because damn that shipping from the states is prohibitive for no good reason.

KtSlime

Is it known if this is going to be exclusive to the SE store in Japan as well? Hopefully I can just order a copy from Amazon like I did for setsuna, because damn that shipping from the states is prohibitive for no good reason.

It is unknown, as no place including SE e-STORE has started preorders for it. I suspect that it will be a regular nationwide release in Japan.

jackal27

Banned
I like the look of this a lot! I've really enjoyed I Am Setsuna up until this boss I'm hopelessly stuck at so I'm sure I'll dig this as well.

kevm3

Looks like they had violins in there, so I'm just hoping the game isn't just piano tracks like Setsuna. That really threw off some of the musical tracks, like battle tracks, which need something more visceral like guitar or drums.

Tailzo

I recently finished my playthrough of the physical I am Setsuna cart I imported on ebay for Switch. Nice game, I'm looking forward to this one too :)

linko9

Yup, these people continue to like Chrono Trigger. Hope it turns out better than their last one, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Rush_Khan

I am Setsuna was alright. It's just the story that let it down. If they can tell a really good story with this then it might be really good.

Top Bottom