• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Sphear announced (Square Enix/Tokyo RPG Factory, PC/PS4/Switch, $50, 2018)

duckroll

From what I've heard, I Am Setsuna was a lot closer to current mobile JRPG trends than it was to Chrono Trigger or other classic 16-bit JRPGs, in visuals, gameplay style, and story. It's just that Square-Enix hammered the nostalgia aspect HARD in their marketing and a lot of nostalgic 16-bit JRPG fans don't play mobile games so they couldn't make the comparison.

It's nothing like a mobile rpg. More like a boring Steam indie game.

DMiz

This, artistically, looks worse than Setsuna (which had the benefit of taking place entirely in snow).

I do hope that we see the world map and the towns improve. The character design is already a bit lacking in comparison to Setsuna, which had some great and colorful designs to counter-balance its crew and white-washed world.

... Even so, I know I'm getting this regardless to support this development team...

I'm interested to see more of this, although those visuals looked a bit rough. I guess it's partly down to the lack of snow this time around.

From what I've heard, I Am Setsuna was a lot closer to current mobile JRPG trends than it was to Chrono Trigger or other classic 16-bit JRPGs, in visuals, gameplay style, and story. It's just that Square-Enix hammered the nostalgia aspect HARD in their marketing and a lot of nostalgic 16-bit JRPG fans don't play mobile games so they couldn't make the comparison.

It feels more like a PS1-era RPG to me. Although they talked up Chrono Trigger some, Setsuna always felt more like something more tonally in line with what you would see on the PS1 rather than a 16 bit game.

thefil

I wish all of the Square Enix SNES/PS1 revival games didn't feel the need to copy the cheesy, pseudo-philosophical, macguffin-focused scenarios from that era as well. Bravely Default, Setsuna and this all look gorgeous, and have all this opportunity to capitalize on their relatively low production values. But the scenarios are so unappealing. Even the PS1 FFs did it way better:

FF7 opens with you in an eco-terrorist group assaulting an industrial facility.
FF8 opens with you in summon-driven military academy, travelling for a special mission through a modern-looking city.
FF9 opens with you simultaneously kindapping a princess while pretending to put on a play, and sneaking into that play.

Bravely Default... the crystals are in danger!
Setsuna... the chosen one needs to save the world!
This game... the world is vanishing into nothing, can friendship and love overcome it?

Gross. The people making these games have no idea what the "good parts" of retro RPGs are, so they're just doing their best to copy everything without critical thought.

Shizuka

Will there be no american release, even if limited? All I get is being redirected to the EU Square-Enix Online Store.

Roubjon

I wish all of the Square Enix SNES/PS1 revival games didn't feel the need to copy the cheesy, pseudo-philosophical, macguffin-focused scenarios from that era as well. Bravely Default, Setsuna and this all look gorgeous, and have all this opportunity to capitalize on their relatively low production values. But the scenarios are so unappealing. Even the PS1 FFs did it way better:

FF8 opens with you in summon-driven military academy, travelling for a special mission through a modern-looking city.
FF9 opens with you simultaneously kindapping a princess while pretending to put on a play, and sneaking into that play.

This game... the world is vanishing into nothing, can friendship and love overcome it?

Gross. The people making these games have no idea what the "good parts" of retro RPGs are, so they're just doing their best to copy everything without critical thought.

These are some super selective and broad summaries you are giving here.Nostalgia is strong though, so I'm not surprised. I Am Setsuna starts out with a main character who is hired to kill someone who turns out to be a sacrifice.

thefil

These are some super selective and broad summaries you are giving here.Nostalgia is strong though, so I'm not surprised. I Am Setsuna starts out with a main character who is hired to kill someone who turns out to be a sacrifice.

Fair enough. If anything though, I'd retroactively apply my criticisms to a game like FF9, which devolves into the same macguffin/friendship stuff. :)

Roubjon

Fair enough. If anything though, I'd retroactively apply my criticisms to a game like FF9, which devolves into the same macguffin/friendship stuff. :)

I do love all those Final Fantasy games, but if I didn't say the FF8 Balamb Garden intro doesn't make me sleepy I'd be lying lol. FF7 is ace though.

FF7/8/9 are closer to the modern style of JRPGs than the oldschool JRPGs that Setsuna/Sphear is inspired by.

thefil

FF7/8/9 are closer to the modern style of JRPGs than the oldschool JRPGs that Setsuna/Sphear is inspired by.

Yeah, I guess I just want them to be inspired by a different era. Or go full dragon quest and make it more whimsical, less melodramatic. It's probably more on me than them.

$50? I'll wait for it to reach the price point I didn't buy Setsuna at...but would have, had Setsuna not looked like a total snoozefest.

Looks pretty bland judging from those shots. Setsuna didn't interest me much and I can't say this does either.

This is coming from someone who would gladly play most SNES and PS1 JRPGs today.

dickroach

I know it's been mentioned, but it really does look like a mobile game

Setsuna got a pass because it was the studio's first game, and people were hungry for an old school RPG published by Square(!!!).

Giolon

Neat! I'm glad Tokyo RPG Factory is getting a chance for another go around. I still have to play through Setsuna on my Switch.

That price isn't going to do them any favors though.

Caronte

Looks generic to be honest, but I like the music. Also I don't understand why the interface looks like a mobile game.

megalowho

Still respect the initiative behind Tokyo RPG Factory but have to agree this looks dreadfully bland, from the story setup to the visual style, even for a throwback. They must be confident they have something to price it at $50, hope it delivers for those interested.

Poppy

i am setsuna was pretty bad man. or at least aggressively mediocre. mostly just nostalgia baiting with the overall style but lacked any sort of soul or purpose. bad characters and story, subpar graphics, blah blah blah. some people like the music but i didnt think much of it. i got to the last dungeon or so and stopped playing out of apathy.

i dont have faith in tokyo rpg factory and this looks like more of the same. at least theres no way setsuna is worth more than 20 bucks, so if this plans on being like 40 dollars again then man. fool me once...

Dunno why there is hubbub over the UI. It looks like nothing to write home about, but I'm not seeing anything particularly offensive about it. Just pedestrian. I'm more concerned about the story and characters being good. Is this team the same team that made BD games?

ksamedi

Man did that trailer look boring. I get that they want to produce old school style rpgs but if your budgdt is so low at least go for a unique look or mechanic.

dickroach

Man did that trailer look boring. I get that they want to produce old school style rpgs but if your budgdt is so low at least go for a unique look or mechanic.

the thing is that it doesn't look old school. it looks like indie/mobile games from 5 years ago.
they shoulda went straight 2D sprites.

Option-

Great post, exactly on point. As somebody said, it seems like a game "by paycheck" and now that they understood the engine, they added color.

It´ll still be a solid game though but nothing inspiring and definetly nothing worth 50$.

Top Bottom