• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Winds (WiiWare) = instabuy

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eteric Rice said:
Makes you wonder what these guys can do with a real budget.

Thrillville 1 and 2, both awesome games.

Thrillville is basically:
- You design a theme park like theme park--including managing staff, booths, and attractions
- You design coasters and ride them like roller coaster tycoon--and man are there some cool coaster pieces
- You run around the park in 3rd person and talk to people, who all have quirky personalities.
- You play games inspired by classic arcade games (Thrillville 2 has a Gauntlet clone, a side-scrolling beat'em'up where you play as a Chinchilla, a shooting gallery, a Bust-a-Move clone, and tons of others)

It's got a Lego Star Wars-style difficulty; anyone could play through the game and never be challenged, but it's pretty tough if you want to do a score attack thing.

Both games are awesome. 360 version of TV2 is probably the best. I played the original on PSP, but I suspect virtually anything other than the PSP would be a better alternative.

Akai said:
Which would flop in a heartbeat...

Thrillville and Thrillville 2 are both multi-million sellers worldwide.

jman2050

This and FFCC already justify the service alone. In particular, using the wind to move the various rocks, as well as guiding fire and water... just great stuff overall.

Can't wait to see what the next chapter brings up.

I bought this game kind of blindly. I knew about it, but I never saw much outside of some screen shots.

OMFG. Best $10 I have ever spent on a game. This is a perfect start to WiiWare. Buy this freaking game now.

MiniDitka

Here are a few vids and pics I recorded.

Part 1 http://www.imeem.com/people/x3pRCQF...lost_winds_fior_the_wii_pt1_videogames_video/
Part 2 http://www.imeem.com/people/x3pRCQF..._lost_winds_for_the_wii_pt2_videogames_video/
Part 3 http://www.imeem.com/people/x3pRCQF..._lost_winds_for_the_wii_pt3_videogames_video/
Part 4 http://www.imeem.com/people/x3pRCQF..._lost_winds_for_the_wii_pt4_videogames_video/
Part 5 http://www.imeem.com/people/x3pRCQF..._lost_winds_for_the_wii_pt5_videogames_video/

uvs080512-006.jpg
uvs080512-017.jpg

uvs080512-025.jpg
uvs080512-028.jpg

uvs080512-032.jpg
uvs080512-042.jpg

uvs080512-046.jpg
LW3.jpg

BooJoh

I'm like 1:40 in and I can't tell what the little blue things you collect are for. They gradually filled the meter next to the Life meter, but now that's full and doesn't ever seem to go down?

I've only started, but I'm finding myself struggling to jump to higher levels because of having to do the up motion a two or three times to get up high enough. I just for some reason can't reposition the wiimote back underneath him quickly enough to keep the fall a minimum after the initial jump. This is starting to frustrate me a bit that I'm having problems with this. Anyone else having the same problem? Any tips or advice?

Avrum

BooJoh said:
I'm like 1:40 in and I can't tell what the little blue things you collect are for. They gradually filled the meter next to the Life meter, but now that's full and doesn't ever seem to go down?

Same here, my meters are full and I keep finding the little bastards but I'm not sure what their worth happens to be.

@ Marty

If you're still early in the game, just try to deal with it I suppose. All I can really say is the obvious which is just practice positioning Enril near Toku after you've completed the first gust and are ready to setup for the next. Worry not, as things will be alleviated a bit as you get a bit further into that stage of the game which should hopefully make things a bit easier for you.

ArtG

Marty Chinn said:
I've only started, but I'm finding myself struggling to jump to higher levels because of having to do the up motion a two or three times to get up high enough. I just for some reason can't reposition the wiimote back underneath him quickly enough to keep the fall a minimum after the initial jump. This is starting to frustrate me a bit that I'm having problems with this. Anyone else having the same problem? Any tips or advice?

I had the same issue and all I can really say is keep playin'. After a while it becomes second nature.

PolyGone

Banned
Marty Chinn said:

uh, keep playing until you get the hang of it? its really not that hard.

Aeana

BooJoh said:

They're like "lives." If you die, one of them is consumed.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
BooJoh said:

If you lose all of your health, you can use up one of those shapes in order to bring Toku back to life. You just waggle the remote over him as when cradling his fall. In essence, those blue floaty things, when they fill one of the containers, equal an extra life.

BooJoh

Aeana said:
They're like "lives." If you die, one of them is consumed.
Metaphoreus said:
If you lose all of your health, you can use up one of those shapes in order to bring Toku back to life. You just waggle the remote over him as when cradling his fall. In essence, those blue floaty things, when they fill one of the containers, equal an extra life.
Thanks. I haven't actually died yet.. most of the times I hurt Toku is because I accidentally throw a boulder on the poor little guy.

Ugh this is just really frustrating me. I really wish that there was another way to slow things down other than holding down A which causes wind. The problem is once you start that, you are already doing a wind motion and it doesn't register properly then what you want to do because of the initial movement. Having B to slow things down so you could position and then A to do the wind would have worked wonders for me so far. I'll keep at it, but I'm just super frustrating right now because I'm fighting the controls more than I am the game. I really wish there was something I'm missing or some technique that I haven't figured out yet. I love the concept and if I could get the jump down, I would love the game.

Aeana

trinest said:
So for those who have to wait for the game cause WiiWare isn't out in their region. How short is the game?

My save file says
2:37
, but my message board time is much longer... I think it was closer to
4 hours
when I added all of the time up. It feels about as long as Super Metroid to me, if you were playing for the first time and going for everything. Quite a good length, I think, all things considered.

Mdk7

I think i'll buy it as soon as WiiWare hits Italy...
The game has always interested me and i do dig the art direction there... but 3 hours is really a SHORT time, i was hoping for something a little longer (also considering the price tag).

Dr Mario is a given of course! Give it to me N!!

xbhaskarx

I'm not really a Wii person but I got this and enjoyed the 30 minutes or so I have spent on it so far.

Now I'm wondering what to get next, probably World of Goo or Star Soldier R if either of those are good.

Yoschi

EazyB said:
I'll consider downloading it once all the WiiWare hype dies down. I don't trust Nintendo hype.
That is a very good idea. Don't trust the hype and all those people saying it is so extraordinarily good. I downloaded it and i don't think it is worth 1000 points, it's more like in between 500 - 700 points.
This game does some nice stuff with the wind mechanic but it's not out of this world. Also i think they could've added some sort of map (maybe in 3D?), because most of the locations look very similar.

Mdk7 said:
I think i'll buy it as soon as WiiWare hits Italy...
The game has always interested me and i do dig the art direction there... but 3 hours is really a SHORT time, i was hoping for something a little longer (also considering the price tag).

Dr Mario is a given of course! Give it to me N!!
& this

For what i played until now, i liked it though.
I wonder what "Defend your Castle" is like.

psy18 said:
Beautiful. Knytt + a bit of okami.
i thought of knytt when i was playing. It feels similar.

Journeywalker said:
Downloaded, consumed, and enjoyed. Collecting all 24 statuettes doesn't seem to do anything.
that's kinda sad :(
are you sure?

Vagabundo

Crushed said:
"Boy there goes Crushed's bestest buddy."

"Wow, what a lucky person."

"All they had to do was gift him Lost Winds and they were best buds forever."

"Really? That's so amazing. I wish I could've had the chance to do that."

"I had the chance. Now I cry myself to sleep at night out of regret for the friendship I will never have."

Goddamn panhandlers. Go work for a change, ya bum.

Cheez-It

IGN Review:

7.0 Presentation
Simple, intuitive menus, predictable storyline, but a great mix of 2D-style platforming values with updated Wii remote mechanics.
8.0 Graphics
A beautiful WiiWare game. Polished quasi-3D environments come to life with style and effects like depth-of-field and bloom. Framerate occasionally hitches.
8.0 Sound
Different, refreshing. Lots of flutes and birds. Fits beautifully with the theme and style of the game.
8.0 Gameplay
Great fun. Controlling the wind with the Wii remote feels good and there are lots of clever puzzles designed to challenge your mind and hand.
5.0 Lasting Appeal
Fun while it lasts, but way too short -- about three hours. No ranking or leader board system, no WFC support, no online, shallow coop multiplayer. Of course, it's only $10.
Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

You know there is something wrong when they realize the game is better than the highest single category they rate, yet they can't be assed to simply assign proper scores to the individual categories.

I love the 'no WFC support', 'no online', and 'No ranking or leader board system'. What the fuck? Since when do you write that about a damn side scrolling platformer? Incompetent fools.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I've heard about Knytt some time ago but never got to play it. All of you guys mentioning it here makes me want to give it a try.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well, I put some Wii points on my card and bought this... wanted to buy FFCC but didn't have the space (damn Wii storage!!!).

The graphics are very nice for a budget game, stuff in the distance is coated with a soft bloom, textures are fairly clean and the art style is colorful and consistent. Not a technical marvel but it looks better than a lot of 3rd party shit for Wii. Music is extremely tranquil, will put you to sleep, very new agey and fluttery.

Not sure how to best describe the gameplay... imagine a slow-paced Canvas Curse, although something about the game reminds me of Tomba for PS1. It's got slight puzzle elements, mostly involving using the power of wind (aka the Wii cursor) to guide jumps, or guide flames to burn down wood, or guiding a stream to water a plant. You can kill enemies by using the wind to bash them against the walls, and then you can collect little blue wispy things by moving the remote over them (like collecting Star Bits in Mario Galaxy) to gain free lives.

Is it worth $10? Well it's definitely comparable to the better original XBLA efforts, though I only put in about an hour to it. If you like slow paced puzzle platformers, if you enjoy Canvas Curse, Tomba, I say absolutely.

Haunted

This has the #1 spot on my Wiiware-games-to-buy list.

QuickKick89 said:
The #1 rule of being a NeoGAF mod: Bitch about Nintendo at any and EVERY opportunity.
No, no. The funny thing is that those two are the only pro-Nintendo mods on the whole board. :lol

Space really is an issue for most Nintendo whores hardcore gamers buying lotsa VC games.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Okay, quick question for you folks... involving a secret collectable object:

In the room with the mushroom and the boulder, there's a gate with a package behind it, how do you open this gate?

Rlan

Cheez-It said:
I love the 'no WFC support', 'no online', and 'No ranking or leader board system'. What the fuck? Since when do you write that about a damn side scrolling platformer? Incompetent fools.

Not to mention "but way too short -- about three hours". You're paying 10 freakin' dollars! You're expecting the equivelant of $50 in a $10 game?

Hell Bionic Commando Rearmed will only last 2-3 or so hours, probably.

I haven't gotten very far, but I have to say, I'm very much enjoying it so far. The music especially, and despite the fact it's a "three hour wiiware game", the presentation and writing are actually quite nice. Enril actually has a "character" about him with his mannerisms in syntax and whatnot. It's a nice (but ultimately unnecessary) touch.

zigg

Kuramu said:
Getting better. Does it point out which ones I have deleted, or do I need to try to DL each one and see what happens?

Yes, they're marked 'Downloaded' or 'Downloadable'.

EazyB said:
I'll consider downloading it once all the WiiWare hype dies down. I don't trust Nintendo hype.

If its the lack of shaders and polygons that deserves your hype then go someplace else....you wont find that here.

Top Bottom