• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth E3 demo video (12 mins)

GigaDrive

Banned
I want LoTR Battle For Middle Earth 2 for Xenon, Revolution and PS3....that or a heavily beefed up, 60fps version of this first one.

Espio

Amazing, did you see the balrog? I hope all units have mutliple attacks as the balrog seems to suggest,

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
This game seems heavily scripted... I want more freedom like a traditional RTS. Also, that Balrag seems undefeatable, so this game may be awfully unbalanced. (Army of the undead, anyone ?) Oh, and the speaker's tone was definitely not excited when he went like "Wow, look at that" on several events. LoL !

Mr Gump

Banned
The game looks amazing but i fear that multiplayer gaming will suffer due to the way the game is set out. There is little focus on economy, and battles look to be one sided with a heap of trolls (i imagine the player would be pissed off from annoyance when they just see their men stand there and do nothing after being ordered to attack a troll).

I really dont care about the single player as these games only interest me with other human players. LOTR lends itself perfectly to the RTS genre so i hope multiplayer is fun. It better be.

BlackMage

Banned
It was definitely scripted but it IS just a demo so maybe there will be a lot of differences when the actual product comes out. As far as the balance of the game, im a little skeptical in that department.

golem

damn this game looks cool.. if they are able to fit in the movie elements without it being too forced (like make it challenging for the player to get reinforcements from gondor or the ghost dudes on time for the battle), the campaign mode will be cool. otherwise, hopefully multiplayer will be more freeform

Mr Gump

Banned
I can sense the multiplayer will suck. There is barely any aspect of economy in this game. Its meant to be just pick up and play.

Bregor

Mr Gump said:
I can sense the multiplayer will suck. There is barely any aspect of economy in this game. Its meant to be just pick up and play.

Where do you get that from? Just because they did not demonstrate it in this video does not mean it isn't there.

Totakeke

Looks great and all, but the tactics portion of the game will probably suck with all those animations lagging up your command, like I certainly do not want to wait a few seconds for the menu to pop up when I'm building my base.

Mr Gump

Banned
Bregor said:
Where do you get that from? Just because they did not demonstrate it in this video does not mean it isn't there.
Educated guess from all interviews and media.

Its been stated in a past interview that resource gathering is not a big part of the game for one.

cuccoo

I think the game economy means little about online success. Its all about the backbone structure of the online hub and developer support. I mean WC3 wasnt exactly the greatest RTS when it was released but Blizzard keep releasing patch for improvement and the whole battle.net thing really helps the online community as oppose to the shitty online hub that Generals had.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
cuccoo said:
I think the game economy means little about online success. Its all about the backbone structure of the online hub and developer support. I mean WC3 wasnt exactly the greatest RTS when it was released but Blizzard keep releasing patch for improvement and the whole battle.net thing really helps the online community as oppose to the shitty online hub that Generals had.
Yeah, but WarCraft 3 at least offered tons of freedom to the players while judging from this LOTR movie, there is no freedom at all. I want to be able to build up my own armies of orcs or men and kick butt. I don't want to be given a certain amount of orcs/men and have no abilities to reproduce them. Also, look at that Balrag and trolls, the men were doing nothing but quivering when going against them. There has to be ways to counter those monsters or this game is very unbalanced.

Tenguman

You can still have an amazing RTS game even if it doesn't start you off in the traditional way. Case in point, Myth: The Fallen Lords. The game wasn't about building armies, but rather taking a traditional army and utilizing their abilities. Another good one was "Sacrifice". Homeworld was the same way to some extent (ah Homeworld....)

I'm not saying this game will be as good as those, but the possibility is there.

GigaDrive

Banned
Buy. A. New. PC.

I have a new PC.

that still doesnt change anything. I still want a more refined version on the nextgen consoles. with more geometry and 60fps. consoles are always better in that they are a fixed platform which developers can push as hard as they can. untrue of PC. EA could never target only 3 Ghz CPU and newest graphics cards. but they CAN target whatever a console has. ok mini rant over.

acklame

GigaDrive said:
I have a new PC.

that still doesnt change anything. I still want a more refined version on the nextgen consoles. with more geometry and 60fps. consoles are always better in that they are a fixed platform which developers can push as hard as they can. untrue of PC. EA could never target only 3 Ghz CPU and newest graphics cards. but they CAN target whatever a console has. ok mini rant over.

well, by the time it'll be ready for the consoles a bunch of new, even more amazing RTSs will be out on pc...

Top Bottom