• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOTR: BFME 2 Review (360)

It's not fair or reasonable to correlate the 360's power with how well it runs this game. It was clearly not designed to take advantage of all 6 cores. It's a PC game first and foremost IMO, and has simply been ported to the 360. I sincerely doubt this game is tapping into the 360's true capabilities. Expect the same for more games that are developed for both the PC and 360.

I am not correlating just off of this game, but other games in my collection and on the horizon. Frame rate issues are prevalent in several games across several genres. Look at Moto GP 3, NFS Underground, Madden 06 and 07, and things like Too Human and even Gears of War that are coming down the pipe. Now the latter games still have time to get the frame rate together, but it is pretty dissapointing that things are not silky smooth in this next generation of gaming. I do not expect the same resolution as a PC game, but at least give me a smooth and consistent frame rate to compensate for the lack of the high resolution. Is that too much to ask for "next gen" hardware?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Shawnwhann said:
I am not correlating just off of this game, but other games in my collection and on the horizon. Frame rate issues are prevalent in several games across several genres. Look at Moto GP 3, NFS Underground, Madden 06 and 07, and things like Too Human and even Gears of War that are coming down the pipe. Now the latter games still have time to get the frame rate together, but it is pretty dissapointing that things are not silky smooth in this next generation of gaming. I do not expect the same resolution as a PC game, but at least give me a smooth and consistent frame rate to compensate for the lack of the high resolution. Is that too much to ask for "next gen" hardware?

Didn't we have this exact conversation in the first half year of the PS2 launch?

Mrbob

Shawnwhann said:

It probably has to do with developers getting used to multi core hardware. It is all new to them so we are seeing some major growing pains.

Didn't we have this exact conversation in the first half year of the PS2 launch?

Apples and oranges in my opinion. Theoretically, the X360 is much more equipped to handle PC ports than the PS2 ever did or currently is. I have no doubt the games will look better, but it is frustrating going through the growing pains and paying premium price for substandard graphical quality. Notice my original post did not condemn the abilities of the system, it only doubted them. I would LOVE to be proved wrong over these next few months. Big difference!!

Helznicht

From the BFME2 Website:

"If you intend to play on the Ultra High setting and really want to enjoy the experience to the fullest the development team reccommends:
3.0GHz Intel CPU, 1GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA 6600 or 6800 Ultra or 7800 GT or GTX. "

The new consoles are a little shy in one of these areas, and im sure that is having an effect.....

Swat

A Hero's Hero!
Helznicht said:
From the BFME2 Website:

"If you intend to play on the Ultra High setting and really want to enjoy the experience to the fullest the development team reccommends:
3.0GHz Intel CPU, 1GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA 6600 or 6800 Ultra or 7800 GT or GTX. "

The new consoles are a little shy in one of these areas, and im sure that is having an effect.....

Yeah, but after the OS eats up half the RAM and has an after dinner nap, wouldn't that level out the playing field a bit?

Baker

Banned
Swat said:
Yeah, but after the OS eats up half the RAM and has an after dinner nap, wouldn't that level out the playing field a bit?

Yup. Even when my computer is just sitting there, 33% of the RAM is being used thanks to XP and SystemWorks.

Helznicht

My daughters PC only has 256 meg of ram and XP. She runs her little 2d games just fine only hitting the HD on loading screens. So Id guess a clean install of xp would have a foot print of about 128 meg or so.

Kingpen

This game is awesome... I have never played an RTS before, and the fact that this one is tied in with one of my favorite movie franchises is pure sex.

The framerate issues are vastly overtalked about. I put in the patch and am not seeing that bad of problems. Looks very good on my 60 inch LCD... Sure it could look better, but I realize that this game wouldn't be possible on previous gen, and the graphics do things well enough.

Controls are working out pretty well for me..

This game is good enough to get me to cancel NCAA football in 2 weeks since I know I will be putting tons of time into this....

This is just the type of exclusive console game that the 360 could use to help garner more sales.... IT ROCKS

Yamaha98

Game is good, but seems to play "slow" regardless of amount of armies/structures built. I mean slow in terms of the scroll rate & choppy framerate at certain times.

Big_T

i think demo for this game will available really soon on xbl
because this video available now on xbox live :
lotr demo walk-throught:
get the most of out the demo with this in-depth walk-through on evil lorien and buckland

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
It comes out next week in Australia and I am definitely picking it up.

Good RTS games have a ton of repay value, certainly well worth the money.

Hopefully we see more RTS and Turn based games on the 360.

TheDuce22

Banned
I love this game so much I went out and got the original for the PC. Shocked to find the graphics and presentation in BFME (again, the first one) blow away the 360 version of the sequel. I love the console game and all, I wouldnt play anything on the PC unless I was forced too, but come on EA. Now im totally spoiled.

Pachinko

OKay, I was playing the demo of this online today and it seems to have horrible balancing and strategy issues. The game I was in was at a never ending stalemate where the only possible way for one of us to lose would have been a full surrender. In the end I basically did just that by quitting becuase I didn't want to keep playing for the 2-3 more hours that match would have lasted.

If you don't have access to a good PC and need a new 360 title then by all means but this game follows the warcraft 3 mode of RTS play- you build heroes that gain levels and have special abiliites and there's an annoying unit cap.

TheDuce22

Banned
Pachinko said:
OKay, I was playing the demo of this online today and it seems to have horrible balancing and strategy issues. The game I was in was at a never ending stalemate where the only possible way for one of us to lose would have been a full surrender. In the end I basically did just that by quitting becuase I didn't want to keep playing for the 2-3 more hours that match would have lasted.

If you don't have access to a good PC and need a new 360 title then by all means but this game follows the warcraft 3 mode of RTS play- you build heroes that gain levels and have special abiliites and there's an annoying unit cap.

The powers you get and abilities your heros get make all the difference in matches like that.

Top Bottom