• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOTR: BFME 2 Review (360)

mankey wrench said:
i've never eaten at taco bell so i can't recommend something i don't know taste good

mankey wrench said:
if you think the ps3 will be $500+ for 5 years you're not very smart.. even for a halo fan

and people still don't seem to understand that ps3 games will be on blu-ray so you need the blu-ray drive, it's not a question about wanting it or not

mankey wrench said:
the swe site discshop.se is taking pre-orders now

5999 sek ($835), so shut up about your $599 kthx :lol

you'll get da vinci code on blu-ray when you pre-order too :)

and in august you'll get a code that you put into a ps3 registration site so sony knows how many pre-orders discshop.se have so they know how many units to send, or something

mankey wrench said:
spread the word on the streets of japan! it's time for psp to beat the ds at least for one month!

mankey wrench said:
however subpar the ps3 launch games might turn out to be they'll still smoke the ps2 launch games out of the water, and since most people will go from ps2 to ps3 it doesn't really matter if the 360 had better launch games or not

i don't buy consoles for launch games so i'll be happy if 1 or 2 games doesn't completely suck

mankey wrench said:
"hdd in every 360 box".

mankey wrench said:
two skus are bad but at least with the ps3 you get everything you need in both

mankey wrench said:
still looks better than any soe game on 360...

;)

Sony fanboy and a troll.

Baker

Banned
mankey wrench said:
gooooooo sony!

Go away or start ****ing talking about BFME 2.

I had no interest in this game on the console, but I've decided to impulse buy it after work so I can have some hopefully fun Live matches.

snatches

Barnolde said:
:lol

I'm the same way :(

CoD2 wasn't too bad, because the game just kicked so much ass. I like sequels like Hitman, where they forego the numbers for a subtitle, heh.

Late response but me too. I am always happy when they go with the subtitle. eg: GRAW

sharukins

Banned
here are screens from the final build

7524.jpg

7523.jpg

7522.jpg

Haklong

I have it right now and yes, the graphics are NOT as good as the PC one. I have the DEMO on my PC and compared the two, 360 version got a poor port on the graphics and frame rate end. The shadows are not as smooth as the PC one and do look blocky. I wish they worked harder on this end. On my high spec PC it runs and looks far better, especially the shadows. On my lower spec PC it looks about the same as the 360 but a little better. Sad thing is, this PC isn't as powerful as a 360 on paper. And yeah those shots sharukins posted are from the PC build.

Anyways, the game does play well but I'm so used to RTS on the PC that it's taking some time to adjust. But the controls are simple enough and with practice it should be fine.

To add, it does sound great and man does 5.1 surround and a 60 inch HD TV make it all the better.

sharukins

Banned
Haklong said:
I have it right now and yes, the graphics are NOT as good as the PC one. I have the DEMO on my PC and compared the two, 360 version got a poor port on the graphics and frame rate end. The shadows are not as smooth as the PC one and do look blocky. I wish they worked harder on this end. On my high spec PC it runs and looks far better, especially the shadows. On my lower spec PC it looks about the same as the 360 but a little better. Sad thing is, this PC isn't as powerful as a 360 on paper. And yeah those shots sharukins posted are from the PC build.

Anyways, the game does play well but I'm so used to RTS on the PC that it's taking some time to adjust. But the controls are simple enough and with practice it should be fine.

To add, it does sound great and man does 5.1 surround and a 60 inch HD TV make it all the better.

widescreen - 360 build. i played BFE today in EB at my mall today and I have played the PC one on my friends 1800XT at the highest setting and there is NO difference except for the very very slight framerate issues on camera panning. but thats possibly because the PC had 2 GB in it. So I dont know how your version managed to get gimped

Haklong

sharukins said:
widescreen - 360 build. i played BFE today in EB at my mall today and I have played the PC one on my friends 1800XT at the highest setting and there is NO difference except for the very very slight framerate issues on camera panning. but thats possibly because the PC had 2 GB in it. So I dont know how your version managed to get gimped

You are joking with me right? You honestly believe I have a gimped 360 or I'm lying? They do NOT look the same and you're insane if you believe that. Let's say those were the 360 shots. That is NOT how it looks now.

Haklong

Jesus christ. Why do people do this? I love the 360, I have no hidden agenda, but it's NOT going to change the fact that this port, this one, is not as good looking as the PC version. Go to Gamespot or IGN and look at the latest screens. You can clearly see that the shadows are a blocky mess. If that doesn't convince you then fine. I'm going to go play the game.

IGN said:
Visually, BfMe2 is a solid looking title. EA says that the game supports the highest resolution from the PC build, a claim that, if true, doesn't actually translate into a game that looks like the highest resolution on the PC. On the contrary, you'll see low resolution environment textures, sketchy, pixilated shadows, and you'll encounter gnarly, jarring, dumbfounding framerate drops.

Baker

Banned
Haklong said:
Jesus christ. Why do people do this? I love the 360, I have no hidden agenda, but it's NOT going to change the fact that this port, this one, is not as good looking as the PC version. Go to Gamespot or IGN and look at the latest screens. You can clearly see that the shadows are a blocky mess. If that doesn't convince you then fine. I'm going to go play the game.

I'd love some more impressions by the time I get off work. For some reason I want this game, but I know I'll regret it by tomorrow.

And to the haters... Just look at that abomination of a demo Prey was and you can see some PC games just aren't lovingly ported over to the 360. Gotta live with it.

bill0527

I just finished playing through both tutorials (about 20 minutes or so for each tutorial)... here are my very early impressions:

I downloaded and played the PC demo a month or so ago. My PC is nowhere near top of the line... P4 2.8ghz, 1gb RAM, geforce 6600GT. I was really impressed by it and couldn't wait for the 360 version.

I'm playing the 360 version on a 48" Widescreen Mitsubishi 1080i crt rptv.

The graphics are nowhere, and I mean nowhere near as good as the PC version so far. The framerate for the tutorials was atrocious. A lot of stuttering and slowdown in several places. The stuttering seems to happen a lot when the 360 is accessing something from the disc. Accessing something from the disc happens quite frequently so there's obviously a lot of stuttering. I guess we can thank the 2 SKU'S for that.

The character models are not even close to being as detailed as the PC demo and it looks like some animations have been cut.

Playing with the controller was pretty cool. Its kind of intuitive until you get to the advanced stuff where it gets complicated. You're going to have to spend some time and keep the manual handy to try and get the advanced stuff to become second nature.

I tried to jump on Live, and of course, EA's servers are down, but this is to be expected on day 1 of any new EA release.

Mrbob

I think EA botched the pre order thing. I'm reading around the net and a ton of ebgames never got the preorder bonus in. My store didn't get theirs either. Don't advertise something if you aren't going to follow through EA.

Geoff9920

Mrbob said:
I think EA botched the pre order thing. I'm reading around the net and a ton of ebgames never got the preorder bonus in. My store didn't get theirs either. Don't advertise something if you aren't going to follow through EA.
I had to ask for mine at gamestop, the guy completely forgot.

TheDuce22

Banned
Its just the slip of paper with the code on it right? Sucks about the graphics, still cant wait to try it when I get home.

Baker

Banned
bill0527 said:
The graphics are nowhere, and I mean nowhere near as good as the PC version so far. The framerate for the tutorials was atrocious. A lot of stuttering and slowdown in several places. The stuttering seems to happen a lot when the 360 is accessing something from the disc. Accessing something from the disc happens quite frequently so there's obviously a lot of stuttering. I guess we can thank the 2 SKU'S for that.

The character models are not even close to being as detailed as the PC demo and it looks like some animations have been cut.

Now this game is one step away from the rental pile for me. That's just gross.

pr0cs

there are reports of people loading the game and XBL prompting them to apply a patch.
I wonder what this patch addresses (if anything).

Baker

Banned
pr0cs said:
there are reports of people loading the game and XBL prompting them to apply a patch.
I wonder what this patch addresses (if anything).

Yeah I read that at the Gamespot forums, but then remembered it's also the Gamefaqs one too so just dismissed it.

And if it's true...

If the 360 is going to steal the Day 1 Patch concept from the pc world, they should at least make the games look 100% comparable.

Haklong

perplexcity said:
Now this game is one step away from the rental pile for me. That's just gross.

Don't let that detract you from the game. But if you have doubts do rent it first. The 360 version isn't ugly. It's just that, if you played it on the PC you can see the difference. It's still great fun if you like RTS games.

Mrbob

Yeah I had to download an update patch as soon as I loaded the game up. Not sure what it did though.

Baker

Banned
Haklong said:
Don't let that detract you from the game. But if you have doubts do rent it first. The 360 version isn't ugly. It's just that, if you played it on the PC you can see the difference. It's still great fun if you like RTS games.

Well, I have a high end pc rig (7800gtx), I was just waiting for a price drop since it's been out for awhile. I also have always had this problem where I refuse to purchase any game that I've already rented.

The only things that interested me in the 360 version were the streamlined multiplayer matches on Live and
achievement points

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Dr_Cogent said:
I'm going to hit you up for impressions then :)

A buddy of mine has it. He confirmed the EA servers are down. He confirmed it required a patch immediately. And he confirmed the game looked, sounded, and played great. He picked his up at Best Buy for those who may want to pick it up today. He said it was on par with Dawn of War and Command and Conquer as far as gameplay, and he felt it definitely looked better than those games.

Haklong

perplexcity said:
Well, I have a high end pc rig (7800gtx), I was just waiting for a price drop since it's been out for awhile. I also have always had this problem where I refuse to purchase any game that I've already rented.

The only things that interested me in the 360 version were the streamlined multiplayer matches on Live and
achievement points

Ha, same god damn thing here. Same card, high end PC, but I forced myself to wait for this version. Mostly for live, my friend that doesn't have a good PC, and
achievement points

Baker

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
He said it was on par with Dawn of War and Command and Conquer as far as gameplay, and he felt it definitely looked better than those games.

I would hope so since C&C is over three years old. Dawn of War never excelled in the graphics department either.

syllogism

It's pretty fun, but Dawn of War is quite a bit better, at least online. Also this thread is starting to remind me of some of the prey 360 threads, especially DenogginizerOS's contributions.

bill0527

Apparently EA let me log into their servers just long enough to get my info so that they can spam my email box.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
A buddy of mine has it. He confirmed the EA servers are down. He confirmed it required a patch immediately. And he confirmed the game looked, sounded, and played great. He picked his up at Best Buy for those who may want to pick it up today. He said it was on par with Dawn of War and Command and Conquer as far as gameplay, and he felt it definitely looked better than those games.

Yeah, but I want to hear what you think as well.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I will let you know. I am still at work. On a different note, you are missing out by not playing BF2:MC. ;)

:lol OK, I'll remember that. Maybe I'll download the demo again.

Baker

Banned
I'm glad Gamespot has only reviewed International Cricket Captain 2006, OverG, and Hard Truck: Apocalypse today.

They always seem to slack ass after a holiday.

I did watch some of their newest gameplay footage and I thought my WMP kept messing up because the screen would just freeze for a second over and over. I rewound (rewinded?) and realized it's the imfamous lag everyone is talking about in the game. It was pretty damn bad.

DenogginizerOS

perplexcity said:
I'm glad Gamespot has only reviewed International Cricket Captain 2006, OverG, and Hard Truck: Apocalypse today.

They always seem to slack ass after a holiday.

I did watch some of their newest gameplay footage and I thought my WMP kept messing up because the screen would just freeze for a second over and over. I rewound (rewinded?) and realized it's the imfamous lag everyone is talking about in the game. It was pretty damn bad.

Where are you reading this?

DenogginizerOS

perplexcity said:
By lag, I meant framerate hiccups. My bad.

I have had zero caffeine today.

I figured as much. I will likely break the seal on this one once I hear the online play is working well through EA's servers. I am a bit reluctant after I could not play FIFA worth a damn online with people I normally have lag free games with.

I'm waiting on impressions too. I'm in desperate need of a new game for the 360, and this might be it, but early reviews have been good but not great. GAF opinions appreciated. :)

Baker

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm waiting on impressions too. I'm in desperate need of a new game for the 360, and this might be it, but early reviews have been good but not great. GAF opinions appreciated. :)

Yeah, these guys have 1.5 hours left to make up my mind about it. :D

If not, I guess I will guinea pig it and put up some impressions late tonight if you can hold off that long.

C4Lukins

Fixing to throw it in, I'll give some impressions in a bit. I have not played the PC version, so I'll just compare it to the pc and 360 pictures in this thread.

sharukins said:

ok, orangesoul...

Top Bottom