• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOTR: BFME 2 Review (360)

Mrbob

Ok I just finished both tutorials, and this isn't a review of the game itself. More of a review of the controls. As an huge PC RTS fan I am really impressed, nay, SUPER DUPER impressed with how EA nailed the control setup for this game.

I have to reteach myself certain ways of doing things, but all which needs to be done is some adjusting and the controls work well. EA has thought of virtually everything and I'm surprised at how well it all works on the 360 pad. Shocked, really. The controls literally are completely retooled. The biggest difference you will notice right away is that the mouse cursor is locked ot the middle of the screen, even when you move it. But you can use the right stick to move and pan the camera and the whole setup works very well. Analog stick doesn't have as much precision as a mouse, so this was a smart move keeping it centered on the screen.

Hotkeys take a tiny bit more work, but this works well too once you get the hang of it. The default hotkey is set to your entire army, and then you can set up six other hotkey settings beyond this. You select the troops you want, and then go to the menu with your selected troops and choose one of the hotkey symbols. At first I was a little annoyed because I thought I had to go into the menu to keep on selecting my hotkeyed troops, but the tutorial doesn't say you can switch hotkeyed troops on the fly with left dpad arrow. With one press it makes things easy to switch between your hotkey troops and works great. Using hotkeys can help you switch between areas quickly on the fly if you think outside of the box a little, because you can't access the mini map with your cursor like you can in PC rts games.

The mini map is still in the game, but you can't access it at all anymore with your move to move the camera places on the fly. I thought this would be a hindrance at first, because I wondered how I'm going to build new troops and explore and battle at the same time. Well this was thought of too. Let us say you have troops battling in the southern part of the map, and you have a base in the northern part. Do you need to take forever to move your mouse cursor north to your base to get reinforcements? Nope! If you press the left stick the game automatically goes back to your main fortress at your base where you can recruit new calvary and archers. Now how do you get back to the battle quickly? Well hopefully you hotkeyed your troops. Just select your troops battling from your hotkeyed setting, and hit the X button. When you hit the X button over a selected unit it always goes to that unit right away. So there is an easy workaround to moving around the map quickly without using the minimap.

As far as selecting units, you can select individual units, whole groups, the entire army, or all units of the same type easily. If you hold down the L trigger and A it selects all of your army units onscreen. If you just one calvary and archer unit, you can select th calvary unit with the A button and then add the archery unit by holding the left bumper and hitting A over their group. If you just want all archers you can hold down the right bumper and hit A over an archer group.

Like I said before, it all works extremely well but you just need to think differently than a PC RTS when you play it. Fantastic job on the controls EA! No more excuses to keep rts games off of consoles anymore.

VALIS

Awesome! Even though I've recently gotten back into PC gaming in a huge way and I'm lovin' it, it makes me very happy to hear an RTS is working well on a console. I'll take 'em however they come, but if I had a preference, of course I'd rather be sitting on the couch, looking at my HDTV and not installing patches or tinkering with the graphics options. Best video game news in a while! Hell yeah! I already own this on the PC, but I think I'm gonna buy it on the 360 anyway and lend my support to the RTS-on-consoles cause.

Quick question on game play. Do you have to gather resources in this game? What resources are there, and how are they gathered. I just read a review and it mentioned base building, which I thought was not really a part of BFME.

I enjoy a good RTS game, been playing a lot of Dawn of War lately, but the thing that wears on me the most is the gathering of resources, and the constant rebuilding of a base on every level.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Quick question on game play. Do you have to gather resources in this game? What resources are there, and how are they gathered. I just read a review and it mentioned base building, which I thought was not really a part of BFME.

I enjoy a good RTS game, been playing a lot of Dawn of War lately, but the thing that wears on me the most is the gathering of resources, and the constant rebuilding of a base on every level.

Each race has a resource producing building that automatically generates revenue on a set time (like 15 gold every 10 seconds for example). You can build as many as you like, but they have a radius around them and if the radius of more then one resource building overlaps it will reduce their effectiveness so you need to spread them out.

Speevy

Banned
It sounds like the gameplay is there, but the graphics aren't quite up to the original PC version. RTS games aren't really about graphics anyway, AFAIK.

Schafer said:
Each race has a resource producing building that automatically generates revenue on a set time (like 15 gold every 10 seconds for example). You can build as many as you like, but they have a radius around them and if the radius of more then one resource building overlaps it will reduce their effectiveness so you need to spread them out.

Hmm... well, I suppose that's less tedious than gathering resources, but I was hoping that the game was more like Myth: The Fallen Lords where the focus was more on battlefield tactics and less on base building.

May have to reconsider.

C4Lukins

Ok just finished the first tutorial then played around with skirmish. I am really impressed. As I said in an earlier post, I have not played the PC version, so this isn't really a comparrison. I can say that on my 34 inch HD Sony Wega, it looks significantly better then those zoomed in IGN pics with the really blocky ground textures which I can see clear as day on my 18 inch computer monitor. It is all a bit muddy though, and the shadows are pretty nasty and blocky. But it does look good, it just isn't amazing.

The minimap probably isn't big enough, which is a minor complaint. It is very hard to see what is going on and who is fighting who just by looking at it, but I think once I train my eye on what to look for, it won't be a problem. The HUD itself is very good though, and takes up a very small part of the screen, and doesn't really limit your play space as much as many computer RTS's.

As for the framerate. I have to play it some more, but then only places I noticed signifigant framerate drops during the tutorial, was when it was loading in the instructions screens and voice to tell you what to do next, which isn't something that I expect to happen often in the main game. When you just fly around the map and the tutorial isn't telling you to do something, it runs great, of course I assume later on the battles are going to be much bigger. On skirmish mode, the framerate was pretty impressive.

The controls are dead on for an RTS. You can easily autoselect a builder, choose the building type, and choose the location, without any hassle at all. The panning around the map is what I was most worried about and the precision, and it is pretty amazing how precise it actually is. The analog stick has degrees of sensitivity depending on how hard you push it. So if you hold it just a little bit, it goes slowly enough that you can pinpoint a single unit. If you hold all the way in a direction, it will zip across the map.

I'm not deep enough into it to give any sort of overall review. What I can say is while it does seem to be your typical RTS, the experience of playing it on the console is completely different then playing on a PC. It just feels like a different type of game, which is a good thing from my standpoint because I became very burned out on the genre around the time of WC3. If you enjoyed the PC version, then I'm not sure there is to much extra here to justify buying it, but as a console game in its own right, it is a lot of fun so far.

Speevy

Banned
There were maybe 3 RTS games on the consoles last generation, one of which could possibly be considered an SRPG. If the concept is even mildly interesting to you, buy this game. Otherwise, who the heck knows how many of these games we'll see on consoles?

EA TURN ON YOUR DAMN BFME2 SERVERS!

EDIT:
"Don't ask, don't tell"
Division Commander

That made me chuckle. Thanks! Here I thought I was being far more multi-console-centric lately. :lol :lol :lol

And Mrbob is totally right about how they nailed the controls after you re-train your brain. Only way to know for sure is to play on LIVE.

Not even the PC version was anything above 3/5 so unless EA did something magical with this(doubt it) this game is nothing like 4,5/5 :lol :lol :lol

Still nice if the control scheme is good for a console, now perhaps we'll see some more strategy games.

Baker

Banned
Speevy said:
It sounds like the gameplay is there, but the graphics aren't quite up to the original PC version. RTS games aren't really about graphics anyway, AFAIK.

Yeah, but if they did have good graphics, I doubt anyone would complain.

The problem is that the 360, in theory, should be equal/better to a high end pc rig right now.

However, barring COD2, I haven't seen one decent pc port yet on the 360. I couldn't even play Quake 4 during a rental. I got in on PC later on and ****ing loved it. I deleted the Prey demo after 5 minutes because it was atrocious compared to the pc. Now an EA developed RTS isn't even holding up.

I know it's unwanted griping to some, but it bothers me.

P.S. I left Oblivion out of this because I never got it on PC so I can't judge. I really didn't feel like sitting in my computer room for 100 hours. :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Hmm... well, I suppose that's less tedious than gathering resources, but I was hoping that the game was more like Myth: The Fallen Lords where the focus was more on battlefield tactics and less on base building.

May have to reconsider.

Yea it is nothing like Myth outside of allowing you to customize your unit formations (PC anyways, not sure about console on that one). It is more comparable to traditional RTS games like Warcraft, DoW and the like.

C4Lukins

perplexcity said:

The problem is that the 360, in theory, should be equal/better to a high end pc rig right now.

However, barring COD2, I haven't seen one decent pc port yet on the 360. I couldn't even play Quake 4 during a rental. I got in on PC later on and ****ing loved it. I deleted the Prey demo after 5 minutes because it was atrocious compared to the pc. Now an EA developed RTS isn't even holding up.

P.S. I left Oblivion out of this because I never got it on PC so I can't judge. I really didn't feel like sitting in my computer room for 100 hours. :D

I'm no expert on this so people correct me if I am wrong, but your typical computer monitor puts out a greater resolution then even the best television sets right? So if I plugged the computer version into my HDTV, it isn't going too look better then or equal to plugging it into my computer monitor. If anything the fact that it is displayed on a big screen in itself is going to show more flaws, and on top of that the resolution is inferior. I may be wrong on all of this, but it seems difficult to compare a small computer monitor to a bigscreen television set.

Schafer said:
Yea it is nothing like Myth outside of allowing you to customize your unit formations (PC anyways, not sure about console on that one). It is more comparable to traditional RTS games like Warcraft, DoW and the like.

Thanks! Good to know. I still may buy it, but I have to decide if it's good enough to hold my attention when I tend to get bored of building a base for the 15th time. It's not a knock on this game, just a knock on the genre in general, and I've played so many RTS games over the years, I was hoping that someone would make a major adjustment to the play mechanics at some point.

Why the hell aren't there more games like Myth. It rocked! :D

snatches

perplexcity said:

no, this absolutely bothers me as well. makes you wonder if the power pc architecture is all it is cracked up to be. maybe ms should have used an intel/amd solution instead.

TheDuce22

Banned
The controls are great but the game has serious technical issues. Ive only done the tutorial and I dont know if this problem is exclusive to that mode but the game actually freezes occasionally to load, when its moving the framerate is fine. Also the shadows are so ugly I dont know why they didnt just cut them out all together.

Geoff9920

I just finished both tutorials, and while the graphics don't live up to the PC version, this isn't GUN. My only gripe is the shadows; the pixilation is fairly noticeable on larger TV's. EA was definitely trying to pass off PC screens as the 360 version with some of the Press releases. :-\ However, and more importantly, EA has really nailed the controls. They're really impressive. If you've played a PC RTS before, it shouldn't take you too long to understand the controls. Also, if your fairly new to the RTS genre (like me), be sure and play the tutorials, they'll help you get the hang of it fairly quickly. Graphics/framerate aside, this is a pleasant surprise (so far).

Oh, I'm playing this on a 50" HDTV w/5.1. So I don't know how it's going to look on an SDTV. I imagine some of the menu options will be a little hard to understand on smaller TV's, but it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Conclusion: If you're interested in trying an RTS out on a console or are looking for a nice change of pace from FPS', you should definitely check this one out.

Mrbob

TheDuce22 said:
The controls are great but the game has serious technical issues. Ive only done the tutorial and I dont know if this problem is exclusive to that mode but the game actually freezes occasionally to load, when its moving the framerate is fine. Also the shadows are so ugly I dont know why they didnt just cut them out all together.

Yeah I'm keeping my eye out for the hitching. The beginning tutorial had a ton of hitching. However the advanced tuturiol didn't have much hitching at all.

If someone wants to add me to play online my Xbox Live gamertag is MrBob

Mrbob said:
Yeah I'm keeping my eye out for the hitching. The beginning tutorial had a ton of hitching. However the advanced tuturiol didn't have much hitching at all.

If someone wants to add me to play online my Xbox Live gamertag is MrBob

Are the servers up yet?

TheDuce22

Banned
Has anyone been able to redeem their coupon for the free maps yet?

Edit: After I downloaded that patch and restarted my xbox the hitching in the first tutorial level was nearly eliminated.

Mrbob

Yeah, you would think so, but for some reason you need to connect to EA servers to play the game online. Probably a matchmaking server which isn't up yet.

arne

I got this earlier today, hopefully I'll be able to play online with some of you fools sometime soon. No coupon for me though. :(

rage1973

I will be picking this up tomorrow after work. I can use this to fill my RTS need and I figure we need to support any decent RTS that comes out on console these days.

TheDuce22

Banned
Not sure whats wrong with the tutorial but the rest of the game seems to run much better. I finished a couple of missions and played a match online (no lag at all) and im loving it so far.

Geoff9920

TheDuce22 said:
Not sure whats wrong with the tutorial but the rest of the game seems to run much better. I finished a couple of missions and played a match online (no lag at all) and im loving it so far.
Yeah, the voiceover must of effected the tutorial because I had 500+ troops
clearing the gobliin camps during the first stage of the Good Campaign
and the slowdown wasn't near as bad. It was still there though, just not as bad.

Fusebox

Banned
From that TXB review...

"The video game has, more or less, cashed in on the Lord of the Rings franchise as well. Much of the success in videogames has come from the Chris Jackson flicks,"

Who Jackson? :lol

pr0cs

The TXB review is rather poor, there isn't enough information as to what they didn't like about the game.

Speevy

Banned
Fusebox said:
From that TXB review...

"The video game has, more or less, cashed in on the Lord of the Rings franchise as well. Much of the success in videogames has come from the Chris Jackson flicks,"

Who Jackson? :lol

Peter's brother. :p

Just played through the basic tutorial. The framerate is skipalicious. The graphics range from Good to OH COME ON, decent backgrounds and buildings throughout, and the big trolls (or whatever the hell they're called) look cool. The shadows belong in the Pixelization Hall of Shame. The controls are easy to get the hang of and impressive, but I kept wanting the ability to zoom out more than the game lets you. I want to see an overview of the entire battlefield, but unless the actual SP allows for it, I'll just be sliding all over the place.

Silent Storm needs to 360 it up, and I wouldn't mind a Soldiers: Heroes of WWII portover, since my computer wheezed and chuckled softly when I tried to get a playable framerate out of it.

All in all, so far it seems like it should be a lot of fun, but EA needs to eat a dick for charging $60. Good thing I had coupons and BB bucks to bring it down to a more reasonable $45.

purg3

slept with Malkin
TheDuce22 said:
Has anyone been able to redeem their coupon for the free maps yet?

It seems to be working now, I just downloaded them. It doesnt look like they are available for normal download on the Marketplace though.

Galaron

EA guy that we like
DenogginizerOS said:
How do they call this game a "perfect primer" for strategy fans and then give it a 7.9??? The graphics only a 7.4? It's a beautiful game. Innovation only an 8.5, which is the same score as Moto GP, which doesn't do anything new? This game is going to revitalize a genre on consoles - Moto GP is not. This review is just glowing, but then they shrug their shoulders and give it a C. Morons.

Double D

Eel O'Brian said:
Just played through the basic tutorial. The framerate is skipalicious. The graphics range from Good to OH COME ON, decent backgrounds and buildings throughout, and the big trolls (or whatever the hell they're called) look cool. The shadows belong in the Pixelization Hall of Shame. The controls are easy to get the hang of and impressive, but I kept wanting the ability to zoom out more than the game lets you. I want to see an overview of the entire battlefield, but unless the actual SP allows for it, I'll just be sliding all over the place.

Silent Storm needs to 360 it up, and I wouldn't mind a Soldiers: Heroes of WWII portover, since my computer wheezed and chuckled softly when I tried to get a playable framerate out of it.

All in all, so far it seems like it should be a lot of fun, but EA needs to eat a dick for charging $60. Good thing I had coupons and BB bucks to bring it down to a more reasonable $45.

Aside from the minor (imo) graphical problems which I can easily see past, this is my biggest gripe. I find myself pulling back on the analog all the time when I'm already fully zoomed out. Is there more of a zoom on the PC version?

Baker

Banned
Alrighty, I picked it up last night (at Walmart since there's been so much Gamestop hate around here recently, hehe).

When I do these little mini-reviews, I usually end up just listing negatives, so I'll force myself to start with the pros.

Pros

- The game really doesn't look that bad in HD. It's not jaw-dropping or anything, but it definitely couldn't be done on a last gen console like some of the games that have come out. The cutscenes have the cool effect (kind of like GoW), where it morphs from paintings to live action. Textures on buildings are above average too.

- The battles are ginormous. It's so damn satisfying to use every available resource to just build as many armies as possible and plow through your opponent like they're butter.

- Sound is really good, especially in 5.1. I yelled at the dog multiple times because a random cave troll would start growling in the back speakers. Only weird thing is the default has a lot of the music/sound effects turned down pretty low.

- Barring the tutorial, the framerate isn't bad at all. There's a small hiccup when you choose certain units, or send 500 troops to attack a building, but it doesn't really hurt the game.

- There was no one playing online last night, but I did get one game in. There was no detrimental lag and was extremely enjoyable. I also just completely dominated him, hehe. I had like 1400 kills, he had 200 something.

- Before I get to the gripes, I just want to say that although this is a port of an RTS, for some reason it doesn't really feel like one on a console. Because it's not as fluid without keyboard/mouse, you really pick up on a different kind of play style than you would on a pc. It might just be the early levels, but it almost feels like Diablo on every drug in existence.

Gripes

- Hotkeys pretty much stink. This is an extension of the play style comment I just made. Yes you can group up units and assign slots to them, but after setting them up, I have never used it once. The game pretty much plays as "make huge army - send them all to attack." So far, there hasn't been a reason to make separate battalions and send them to different areas. I'm assuming this could change once online gets more competitive. It's also 1-2 steps too much to select the hotkey. You hold R, scroll up 4 times (or down 1), hit A, scroll right until you find the one you want, hit A. It's just not something you even think of doing in the middle of a huge battle.

- The shadows are horrid. They seriously should just have left them out and barely anyone would have noticed. They're hugely pixelated and spaz out when the screen moves.

- I'm sure this is an extension of me not using hotkeys, but unit selection is a pain. You can either select a single unit, everyone on the screen, all units of the same class, or the entire army. This becomes a burden when you're in a big battle and realize half your troops aren't doing jack shit. The common instinct is to select your entire army and then attack. However, this will also take all the troops you have defending your base and send them out too.

- I still have not found a way to return to your exploring army if you go back to your base. Once you select something to build, your army is no longer selected, so X does not return to them. If they're fighting, Y will take you to the battle. If they're not though, you have to manually move back to them.

So, that's it for now. I had way too many problems trying to get a passport this morning, so I've forgotten some of the things I was going to talk about. I'd be glad to answer any questions though.

Conclusion
This is an EA game, so it should really mean something when I say this. Buy it.

Double D

snatches said:
WHERE THE HELL IS THE GAMESPOT AND 1UP REVIEWS

would any of you recommend this to an RTS noob who loves LOTR?

I'm a complete RTS noob with a mediocre love for LOTR and I'm really enjoying this game. Just make sure you do the tutorials before you do anything.

Proelite

I think what developers need to realize is that they shouldn't try to make ported games work on the consoles the way they work on PCs. When you try to emulate the same experience as it is one PCs, it inevitably falls short of the real thing. The correct way is to do something really different and create a new experience centered around the nusiances and the strengthes of the controller. Make the nusiances a good thing by allowing players to overcome it with experience, and thus creating a way to gauge skill levels. Make the strength of the controller shine. If developers can get this right then platforms can strengthen their respective weak presence in a certain genre.

Aside from the minor (imo) graphical problems which I can easily see past, this is my biggest gripe. I find myself pulling back on the analog all the time when I'm already fully zoomed out. Is there more of a zoom on the PC version?

I tried out the PC version several months before the PC release in a focus group, and yes the PC version allows one to zoom out much futher than the X360 build.

The good ol' girlfriend picked this up for me last night, and I played about an hour of the X360 version this morning before I had to leave for work. Overall I am pretty impressed with the game, and silently wondering about the brute power of the X360.

On its own mertis the X360 version is pretty solid. From the looks of things, EA did a remarkable job of tailoring the interface for a console controller. Almost all of the functionality is in the X360 version, and it is pretty faithful to the PC version. The presentation looks good as the menus are nice and polished, and the sound is faithful to the standards we expect from a LOTR product. Looking forward to playing through the campaigns and multiplayer.

As far as visuals go, my first thought was "I bet this looks really bad on a regular TV". I am playing on a 37" widescreen LCD HDTV, and some of icons and things are a little hard to see. Subsequent thoughts had me wondering why the game is chugging so much on "next-gen" hardware. I love my X360, but I find it problematic that games can't hit 60 fps, or even stay at a locked 30 fps consistently. I see great technological feats like GRAW, Lost Planet, Fight Night 3 and I am greatly impressed. Then I see other efforts that hardly look graphically taxing, and the game runs like pooh. I do not remember the Xbox having such a problem with accomplishing silky framerates on a whole. Lazy developers, changing the paradigm for high def gaming, new hardware all sound like reasonable excuses. But when I am paying 60 a pop for "next-gen" software it should at least look "next-gen" even if the gameplay is still catching up. If the develoeprs want a pass on sloppy textures and bad framerates, reduce the prices of those games that are not hitting the requirements we expect from a new generation of gaming.

I'll enjoy this game, but I can't help but wonder if it could have been so much more...

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Shawnwhann said:
The good ol' girlfriend picked this up for me last night, and I played about an hour of the X360 version this morning before I had to leave for work. Overall I am pretty impressed with the game, and silently wondering about the brute power of the X360.

It's not fair or reasonable to correlate the 360's power with how well it runs this game. It was clearly not designed to take advantage of all 6 cores. It's a PC game first and foremost IMO, and has simply been ported to the 360. I sincerely doubt this game is tapping into the 360's true capabilities. Expect the same for more games that are developed for both the PC and 360.

Top Bottom